Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Can someone tell me what the deal was with Albania and China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

xi mengze was a harvard lass, werent she? wonder where she is now

Living somewhere in the USA apparently lol

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tarkus posted:

As somebody who lives in Heaven itself, it is true, Heaven has mandated that Xi should be removed.

So comrade Xi should be declared Great Sage, Equal to Heaven, is what I'm hearing here?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

*Great Sage Xi emerges from Flower Fruit Mansion to survey the forces of heaven arrayed against him. He expertly plucks nine hairs from his head and blows them away into the roaring wind, where they settle gently but firmly in the South China Sea. The Great Sage smiles warmly and turns himself into a cumquat.*

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Uh oh, looks like National Feelings are in danger of being hurt again!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-66737272

quote:

The contentious clauses suggest that people who wear or force others to wear clothing and symbols that "undermine the spirit or hurt the feelings of the Chinese nation" could be detained for up to 15 days and fined up to 5,000 yuan ($680; £550).

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i think sometime in the 90s south korea looked at how Japan and the US both used soft power/pop culture and realized they were in a position to do the same, obviously k pop is massive now but I also remember korean horror/thriller movies like oldboy and the host in the early 2000s having massive buzz here in the US when they released.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

This is a reasonably common belief, common enough I had two doctors tell me they couldn't see me because they only knew Korean anatomy and couldn't treat a foreigner since our biology is different. Dodged a bullet there I suppose. I also couldn't donate blood because foreigners are xenomorphs and if you put our blood in a Korean they will die instantly.

Yeah obviously. Confucius was Korean and all that.

How do Koreans jibe their ubermensch anatomy with their susceptibility to fan death though?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I realize this is kinda a nebulous question but how does Vietnam compare to China on the authoritarianism scale? Similar level of press control/censorship?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

China takes the definition of "nanny state" far too literally

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Gen. Ripper posted:

https://twitter.com/kunley_drukpa/status/1706448989493583881

Congolese, why haven't you considered you could learn some things from the Belgians?

Lol the look on the Congolese dudes face the whole time, and how loving smug this ignorant rear end in a top hat is. Infuriating.

Aren't the evils of (western) colonialism like, something that China likes to talk about frequently

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Ok this is p funny

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-67002583

Is China outsourcing its censorship to AI or is someone just that insane

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lol china's like the most insane capitalist country on the planet, I wonder how they're gonna bowdlerize Marx to make him acceptable to xi jinping thought.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

People of China, please try to be more marxist!! Er, what are you doing, no not like that oh poo poo

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

ronya posted:

I think the eyebrows and moustache are manipulated, it looks janky:
https://streamable.com/1qj2js

There's a point where Marx raises his eyebrows and instead they seem to split into two

The great bushy beard might be a real wig though, being that someone in production cottoned on how much of a PITA it is to get the edge lighting correct.

all in all it's impressive how vacuous 两个结合 is; it just requires all to solemnly intone that Xi Jinping Thought is the right way to fuse tradition with modernity and Chineseness with Westernness. The elements of that compromise are left as an exercise for the reader

Say what you will about 1980s Nihonjinron or 1990s Asian Values discourse, at least they said something contrarian

A lot of the poo poo coming out of the ccp in recent years seems so incredibly tone deaf and reeks of there being no critical voices in any position of power, which I'm sure has always been a problem in China's massive authoritarian bureaucracies throughout history but it seems like xi has exacerbated the problem substantially.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Local heritage will be exterminated as swiftly and triumphantly as the thieving sparrow. Wait what do you mean they eat bugs too oh poo poo

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Fumble posted:

War history? Historicly hasnt china been the worlds punching bag?

I mean, you could have a massive museum solely dedicated to ancient/medieval domestic wars within China. That being said China's modern military history is pretty interesting, though I have a feeling this museum will probably focus inordinately on the war against the kuomintang.

Are the 1980s wars with Vietnam widely talked about in China? I can see those featuring too.

E;I guess this might require China to explain why they supported the khmer rouge though sooooo maybe not

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 7, 2023

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

rn a chainsmoking Chinese detective is analyzing poo poo splatter trajectories in the tub for evidence

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Reminds me I havnt seen Legendary Weapons of China in a while

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqzAtS4hmuw

If Dong hadn't cast solar flare the tai chi guy probably would've won tho

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tai posted:

Not even sure why China would want a country that doesn't want anything to do with you. Seems a bit dumb

A mountainous, heavily forested country that has spent decades preparing for the eventuality of a Chinese invasion, no less.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Hows the campaign against clothing that hurts national feelings going

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lol, sorta like how north Korea actually has three completely different political parties, they are much more democratic than we decadent western scum are.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Correction: there's four or five churches!

Ah! Churches!! Surely there must be mosques as well??

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I'm sorry thrilled to tell you that as of several minutes ago the sole mosque has been upgraded to a thoroughly Han cultural center! A great day for xi jinping thought!!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tankies who go to bat for modern China, one of the most capitalist economies in the world, are especially dumb

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Hurting National Pollings

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

North Korea amping up the rhetoric again

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67990948

I can't believe this still happens after Trump's incredible, personal diplomatic work with Un, it's utterly shocking.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

A better term would be winning*

*winning is only permitted for a total of one hour per day and a maximum value of five hours of winning per week.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Is uncle roger/nigel ng still canceled in China? I guess he moved to California recently.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tai posted:

lmao he's banned? His digs are mild as gently caress. Chinese government is such a Karen

Yea I think it was this bit specifically that got all his chinese accounts scrubbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnLScLsHNa8

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

"DONT TOUCH HER!! YOU ARE NOT THE SAME AGE!!!!" lol

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

In Vietnam's case I think it's all about realpolitik, they see China as a much greater threat and the eventual possibility of military cooperation with the US is a big lever. Vietnam's been very good about playing both sides.

I know some years ago there was talk about the US taking over Russia's naval base in vietnam and China would have big time hurt national feelings over that

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Scam Likely posted:

What does the scouter say about his power level?

It's over nine dashes!

Lol

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

It amazes me that pol pot decided to gently caress with Vietnam when he did but I guess he wasn't the most sane person

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now this is serious business!

How badly can Tencent make D&D suck? Make it morally right to genocide night elves? Expansion packs dealing with finding the lost land of T'ai'wan?

Red dragons demonstrate their sagacity by quoting from Xi Jinping Thought

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

out of one kind of slavery and then directly into another kind thanks to the french and americans

Well also the fact that the leaders of the revolution almost immediately introduced their own corvee form of slavery to build infrastructure on the island, and some of them set up aristocracies of their own. But yea Haiti was pretty much immediately a pariah state solely because the revolutionaries were black.

Haitian history is really goddamn interesting and also really sad

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 1, 2024

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

But you see, people of Chinese descent live in singapore!!!! Checkmate you stupid libs!!!!!1

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

McGavin posted:

This doesn't sound very communist.

Are you saying China, whose flag is as red as the oxygenated, patriotic blood of the hardworking Han people, is not actually very Communist? What the hell

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

yugioh mishima posted:

tsingtao takes its status as chinese piss beer extremely literally

Oh God lmao I forgot about the piss incident

When you gotta go, you gotta go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The match organizer is like losing funding or something because of it lmao

Every single thing is a slight, there could be no other explanation.