Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Hello new China thread.

I did 2 1/2 years in the glorious PRC. And as such will whinge about it occasionally in this thread.

More importantly, in my time in China I have eaten at Hooters in 3 different mainland Chinese cities, (also in Taipei and Hong Kong) So feel free to ask me about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Private Cumshoe posted:

What was on the menu?

Exact same thing as in American Hooters. Overpriced chicken wings, and beer in big glasses.

But the one in Shanghai was nice enough to put the cricket on the TV for me, so that was nice.

LimburgLimbo posted:

No Japan? Sorry you’re missing the full East Asia set, that cuts the market value in half.

No, sorry, no Japan Hooters. But I have eaten at the one in Seoul, and bought my brother a T-Shirt from there for his birthday. Which I found out earlier this year has closed down. So there is that.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 28, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

post the most 8 pix u got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOqM18Bhhg

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

My little stories that add nothing to a couple of recent topics:

When I lived and worked in Yokohama, one day at the school some of the English teachers were talking in the break room about perverts. The Japanese staff listening didn't know what "pervert" meant, and so asked us what it meant. Nobody really wanted to explain it, because we didn't want to embarrass ourselves and the nice 20 something girls who were innocent of this word. Eventually somebody said that it was similar to "otaku". The girls giggled and nodded, and understood.

LimburgLimbo posted:

There's very little awareness. As a typical Japanese person you will have basically 0 interaction with obnoxious weeb types... ever. They come and hang out in tourist areas and do tourist stuff, and that's about it. If you're socially unskilled enough to be immediately identifiable as what we consider a weeb then you're not likely to live in Japan long term or venture out of tourist-heavy areas at all.

There's a very general awareness that there are some people who *really really* like Japan and are a bit weird about it, but it's not such a significant part of peoples' interactions that they need to have a term for it.

I lived in Japan for 12 years and can not think of single time I actually had to meaningfully interact (or go out of my way to avoid interaction) with someone who was out and out obnoxiously weeby. At most I would see some fat American looking types with anime buttons and stuff walking down the street of one of the major areas in Tokyo.

Moreover weeb etc. are very much based heavily in internet culture, and since Japan has that critical mass to create their own internet culture and sites, in Japanese and de facto walled off from interaction with English/international internet culture, there's not as much awareness overall. There might be some more recent/modern internet slang that's spot-on with weeb that I'm just not yet aware of, however.

To add a little to this. One of my room-mates in Yokohama was a little bit of a weeb. And he would say that amongst the Japanese people he interacted with, they would always be astonished that he, a grown man from Brisbane, was intested in and knew so much about a bunch of childrens cartoons from their youth. And to tar myself with the same brush, one of my Japanese friends found it hilarious that I, also a grown man, was interested in and knew so much about Anpanman. (The reason being he is a superhero with a red-bean bun for a head whose major enemy is bacteria, and he would rip pieces off himself to offer to the children he saved. How cool is that?)

And my Chinese making GBS threads stories. I saw a mother holding a baby, (who was wearing one of those pants with the split arse), over a rubbish bin in the subway in both Chengdu and Fuzhou.

And on public toilets in China, the dirty squatters didn't bother me too much. Nor did the lack of soap, water, and/or toilet paper because you learn to adapt. What shat me the most was the often times lack of doors in the stalls. In my last school in Jian'ou, (a tiny town near Nanping), the toilets at the school didn't even have dividers between the stalls. So if I needed a poo poo during work hours, I would be sat there squatting hoping desperately and futilely that a 14 year old boy wouldn't walk past me and gawk at the fat foreigner doing his stinky business.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 6, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Play posted:

afaict every anime ever produced has a pervert character that does perverted stuff, not to mention there's perverts on the buses feeling up schoolgirls and buying their underwear. I find it hard to believe a group of 20 year old women truly wouldn't understand that concept

e: don't they just call all perverted stuff, including perverted people, "hentai"?

It wasn't that they didn't understand the concept, more they didn't understand the English word. And also that they associate the concept with a different word that is used to describe Westerners, (and Japanese people), who are overly into Japanese media.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

When xenophobia, misinformation and capitalism combine ...

That's Australian made.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

coke posted:

"We wish you to calm down and reflect" is a great passive aggressive response.

It's a perfect way to say "You are bringing this on yourself. We don't want to have to kidnap you and imprison your family. We really don't. But your hysterical insistence in doing your job as a doctor and trying to help/save people is forcing our hand."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Its kinda amazing how the Chinese government keeps reinforcing its reputation as being composed of oversensitive weenies who think small stuff will cause their government to collapse promptly. There was the danish political cartoon as well a week or so ago.

I don't think that they legitimately think that a statue by a hippie artist in front of the Danish parliament is a serious threat to CCP power.

I think it's more about them feeling like king poo poo and trying to excercise their power by intimidating people. This is why they tried to bully the local council, as opposed to anyone with proper authority.

It's also why they are big on threats and small on following through. Coz it's not about the CCP doing things it is about 1) bullying and intimidating people, and 2) hoping that in the future they will self censor, (like blizzard and vans did with no overt CCP influence)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Here's a question regarding CCP tantrums vs corporations/nations.

How long is their memory on stuff like this? For Example, if you dare not show the 9 dash line on your map, or whatever, are you blackballed from China for eternity, or can you wait until the tantrum subsides, and then just try to quietly get back into the Chinese market and hope they don't notice this time?

Are there any examples anyone can think of?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Maybe I am thinking of a different horse meat scandal. But as I remember it, it was a supermarket chain in the UK that had bought cheap Eastern European horse meat to put in it's "beef" lasagna. And one of the ways they found out, (or maybe it was a news program after they found out), was that they went all the way back to the factory and accused the owner of selling *gasp* horse meat instead of good honest beef. And the owner puffed out his chest and said "Yep, nothing but the finest horse meat from us!"

And to bring it back to recent China based events. All the stuff that China, (and other countries) are doing re: coronavirus all seems largely performative and theatrical to me. I haven't heard much about actual practical attempts to fight it/help the victims apart from the CSIRO people managing to synthesize it.

Everything else I hear seems to me mainly fear mongering, and stories of elaborate ways to shut yourself in, mask shortages, citywide lockdowns etc. None of which help protect yourself from the virus as much as washing your hands before and after touching filthy public surfaces

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

chinese hair cave posted:

Has anyone heard of Pangzai, the Chinese peasant farmer who chugs beers tornado style and can break bottles with one hand? I’m worried about him because he keeps mentioning “I want to show what real peasant life is,rather than the propaganda films”. Is he at risk for being Dissapeared?

More likely it will be like that other popular video maker, the old lady that made the funny/silly videos of life in rural China, (forgive me but I forget her name and exactly where she was from). I only heard about her from the previous version of this thread.

She was making silly/fun/irreverent videos that were hugely popular, and that sometimes poked gentle fun at the authorities and way of life in rural China. The CCP found out, got involved gave her some funding, and now she still makes videos, but they are all rural cooking poo poo proclaiming the greatness of homestyle Chinese traditional cooking and culture, free from evil western influence. And none of the funny little skits she used to do.

So if the CCP got wind of him, he would probably just devolve into spruiking how great life in the glorious Chinese countryside is. Again, forgive me for forgetting the name of the awesomely sweet old lady.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly the tourism dollars that are lost from this are going to hurt a lot of people.

I was just in Bali and 60-70% of their tourists are from China and that is 0 now. Imagine a country just suddenly losing a huge chunk of its income for months on end.

I dunno how true, or in how big numbers this is, but I read an article that was talking about how a lot of Chinese tourism, (especially those in organized tour groups), contributes next to nothing to the local economy. Because the actual tourists paid a Chinese company for the tour, and when there, the tour company herds the tourist to Chinese owned restaurants/gift shops etc. either getting kickbacks or they are also outright ownde by the tour company. So very little money gets put into the local economy.

This sounds reasonable to me, but again, I dunno how widespread this practice is, nor how much a percentage of tourists use companies like this.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

To take the discussion away from who was better/more technologically/socially advanced in the 1500s talk.

Fojar38 posted:

When it comes to records of important events in China, they didn't exaggerate to impress foreigners, they exaggerated to impress other Chinese people and so that the emperor and other important people could be presented as huge swinging dick big boys in the historical record

This is also, at least partially, why the CCP chucks its tantrums and is always decrying the unnamed country that can only salivate.

It is for internal use to show Chinese people that they are big and tough and strong and powerful and won't take no poo poo from bullies who would dare do such a heinous act as not show the 9 dash line in a childrens cartoon.

On this: when I was in China I studiously avoided any sort of political, or even political adjacent chat. So can I ask goons with Mainland Chinese relatives, or who were
there longer than me, what do Mainlanders think of the CCP's international tantrums? Do they buy them? Are they embarrassed by them?

Coz what I remember of the "this is a killing" incident, is that people were largely laughing at the dude and his parents, but what did they think of the CCPs hissyfit response?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

What is the Chinese law regarding this?

Can she now get married to a Chinese guy like her parents obviously wanted for her, (they wouldnt have been pushing for her to run out on a 6 year happy marriage to a newly rich man if they were fine with him)? Does she need to get her Canadian marriage annulled/divorced in Chinese court? Does he have any rights in China as her husband?

And whilst she did a terrible thing, I feel for her slightly. Coz the kind of parents that would bully their daughter to run on a 6 year happy marriage to give them money, are also the kind of parents to burn through that money very quickly and then blame their daughter for not getting more. What is she going to do when she tires of having her parents yell at her once the money is all gone? Find another foreigner who "might" inherit money in a few years and play another long waiting game?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Blistex posted:

Friend was working down the list of things that I was telling him to change the passwords or access to and when he got down to his company's provided RRSP the person on the other end of the phone asked if he wanted to cancel the impending withdrawal and transfer.
:eyepop:

He told me after he hung up the phone he had "the moment" where he no longer had any possible sympathy for her or her situation. That wasn't a mad dash and grab, that was a calculated attempt at theft, something that she had no ties to, but something that she had the time and willingness to try and steal.

I told him to also talk to a financial advisor and go through everything together to make sure she doesn't have any more surprises in store for him.

What is an RRSP?

Sorry if that is a stupid question.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was watching Jeopardy the other night, and one of the clues brought up the Three Ts of Chinese Censorship. Made me wonder how many complaints of hurt feelings the network/producers will get. (A few minutes later, a commercial for Shen Yun came on, ha)

When will "Uighur", "Death Camps", "Winnie the Pooh", "Free Hong Kong" etc. be added to the three T's?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Blistex posted:

A Registered Retirement Savings Plan. You can contribute a certain amount to it each year (tax free) and then when you want to cash it in, it is taxed at the marginal rate.

So as well as draining their shared account, (over a period of time), she was trying to take his retirement savings too?

That's just rude.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Regarding the guy whose Chinese wife ran away with the money:

To what benefit to her is staying married at this point? She ran back home, took all the cash she could, clearly has no intention of coming back/reconciling. Now he has taken the steps to protect what is left, surely she would agree to a quick divorce so she could marry someone else in China? Why would she want to fight it?

Oh, and re: Coronavirus in Korea. I live in a rural part of Gangwon-do. There have so far only been 6 cases in my state, and none in my region. But the hagwon I work for still closed for all of last week, and most people are wearing masks. The big cities seem to have been hit pretty hard with infections, but very few people here are dying. As far as I know they have put back the start of public school by a week as well. Apart from that, my life goes on as normal. I am nowhere near the hoarding bottled water stage yet.

Unrelated: I just tried to buy my brother a Wonju Basketball jersey for his birthday, and the Korean sites were making it so much more difficult and complicated than it had to be that I gave up. I might try to go to a game next month and buy one there.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 29, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Blistex posted:

Fight for the remainder of the cash she might think she is entitled to or a lawyer convinces her she has a shot at getting. Not staying married.

Fair enough. I misread. Sorry.

Also do we know if running away was her idea, a long con she was pulling, or she was bullied into doing it by her greedy parents once they found out he got some money?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don't think that China has the monopoly on "bullshit traditional cures" stuff.

In India, an elected official has said publicly that eating cow poo poo can cure CoronaVirus, coz "Hindus good, Indian Hindus best Hindus."

https://www.deccanherald.com/nation...Ds7lUW_EoyKvMnc

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Mistle posted:

the CCP has the exact same reaction almost every time so even when they're right, everyone's desensitized to "hurt feelings of poor great poor China

This is something that bothers me.

I dunno numbers, but there is a very real chance that real incidents of anti-Chinese racism increasing globally because of fear of the scary "Wuhan Virus". (This is but one personal anecdote, but a friend of mine in Melbourne who is Singaporean has told me stories of more than one person crossing the road to avoid her and covering their mouths as she walks by).

But with the CCP's bog standard "hurt feelings" tantrum being applied to things as petty as a map in a film not including the 9 dash line, it really makes them sound disingenuous when there is some real racism, or anti-China sentiment.

Booty Pageant posted:

china - tcm over 5000 year

korea - tcm but religious

america - tcm with rocks and minerals

russia - liquid tcm
India - TCM but with cow poo poo and no muslims allowed.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Gotta wonder what the infection status of India is at, though - a billion people stacked together is gonna be fun.

India has more important things to worry about. Their Women's cricket team is in the final of the 20/20 World Cup,

Which is much more important than a global pandemic.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

The streets are still cleaner than Korea though, where every lamp post is a "trash can" unless it's specifically marked as not a dumping site.

That baffled me for a while when I first moved to Korea. I was asking people when was bin night and where I should put out my rubbish. And I eventually figured it out, so long as it's in a garbage bag, in one of the little piles of garbage bags near lamp posts, the bin men will come and get it eventually.

In Japan, it was much different, where we had several different bin nights for several different kinds of rubbish.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

As someone in South Korea at the moment, (albeit rural Gangwon-do), the response here has been fine. A bunch of stuff in my small town is still open, some stuff is closed, supermarkets have ample supplies of toilet paper etc. I have been teaching online classes for the last 2 weeks and all is well. Also due to CORVID19-unrelated medical issues I have been in an ambulance, and to 2 different hospitals in those 2 weeks, and whilst everybody is wearing masks, (it is enforced at the door along with hand sanitizer), all is groovy.

And whilst I am talking about unrelated stuff. I have decided that I am not renewing my contract here. (Nothing to do with the place, just don't like job hours and the owner/boss) My contract runs out in May so I know that I have come to this decision a bit late, but does anyone higher up the food chain than me know if people will be hiring in ESL jobs due to Corona? I mean will employers be willing to take on foreigners due to fear? Or will I be more attractive to them as I am willing to move to Asia/Europe, when possibly they will be experiencing a lack of applicants?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

i wouldn't recommend this line of work at the moment.

various governments are either currently enacting or preparing to enact a state of emergency, and depending on the country, this can also include suspension of wages for ESL assistant-type teachers (and even normal teachers). being unable to rely on even receiving a paycheck at all because of factors outside of your control isn't fun in your home country, but now imagine that except you're living abroad and you'll have to pay your company if you break contract

Thanks for the advice, and yeah, this is one of my concerns. Another is will I be even be able to fly home. Australia is notoriously xenophobic and has a government that gets an erection from the very words "close the borders". So maybe in a couple of months they won't be accepting flights home from Seoul.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Seconding the I didn't know what boba was sentiment. I always knew it as bubble tea. Even back in Aus.

I assumed it was a stupid American thing. Like calling coriander 'cilantro', chick peas 'garbanzo beans' and affordable healthcare 'socialist heresy'

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Whilst it is important that China/the CCP covered up the COVID-19 virus, (be it for 3 weeks or 3 months, they intentionally withheld information from the public allowing a highly infectious disease to spread globally.), I think it is equally as important the reasons why they covered it up.

They covered it up because they couldn't be arsed to do anything about it and hoped it would go away on it's own.

They covered it up because bullshit tinpot middle management lower level officials were scared of looking weak/incompetent in the eyes of their superiors, so they actively put lives at risk and threatened those who were trying to help.

They covered it up because those superiors, and the Party has built a culture where looking like you are doing your job, and submitting numbers that look like you are doing your job is a much higher priority than actually doing your job. Resulting in admin officials threatening doctors over the doctor reporting medical findings.

They covered it up for the same reason they are now trying to deflect blame. Because the paper thin facade of "China No.1! Everything we do is good, and nothing we do is bad, even those things we are provably dong bad and wrong are good because someone else once did something bad generations ago" is more important that helping to save lives.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Seconding the life in Korea is pretty much normal. Even most of the restaurants in my town are open and running, (albeit with slightly less customers than usual).

I took a photo at my local supermarket to show my parents that the shelves are fully stocked with toilet paper, as compared to the idiots panic buying in Melbourne.

I'll still be leaving here in May/June after my contract ends, but that is due to largely Corona Virus unrelated matters. In fact one of the places I will be applying for new work will be the Korean Public School system

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

china is using covid deaths as an excuse to murder uighyrs. there. that's the racist conspiracy theory moving forward. they're hiding the bodies in with the plague victims, tryin to do a loose change times a billion.

Why would they kill the Uighurs? They need them as bodies to truck from their "vocational schools" around the rest of the country to work in the factories whilst the good and valuable Han people are at home self isolating.

Seriously, I heard somewhere that some factories are doing this. Using the death-camp inmates as labour whilst their usual workers aren't allowed to leave the house.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I just had a thought:

How would being infected with COVID-19 affect your social credit score?

Would you be considered disharmonious by getting the disease and making China/the CCP look bad?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Fat Jesus posted:

I ordered some junk from aliexpress like 6 or 7 weeks ago, I guess it's never going to come and if it does it'll have free gift of disease, been too busy to look if cargo planes from china are still allowed in :australia:

Not from China, but I asked the Aus. Embassy in Seoul if I would be able to post all my poo poo home before I leave in May, (fingers crossed I'll even be allowed to do that.), and they told me that posting a parcel "should" be fine. But to check with DFAT closer to the date.

So very likely your aliexpress stuff is either in a warehouse somewhere on the outskirts of Sydney's west, or just chucked in a fire.

Anyway, didn't I hear somewhere that teh COVID-19 doesn't last too long on surfaces outside the body? It is mainly transmitted by person to person and close proximity contact. (As far as I know.)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

BCR posted:

Its also a little funny seeing all these 'come teach in China' from EF, shenme shenme school, guangzhou etc. I imagine all the foreigner wranglers will be having a hard time what with the new foreigner regs and being the starting point of a global pandemic and under lockdown.

As an ESL teacher who will soon be quitting his current job and looking for jobs in the Aug/Sept semester, this is exactly what I am hoping for.

A bunch of white English speaking people will be scared, so won't apply, and thus the employers will be less discerning and hire a useless wastrel like me.

P.S. I am NOT applying to go to China. I did my 2 1/2 years there, and that was more than enough.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Hang on. Xi Jinping's face isn't really green with Shrek style suckers growing out of it?

I had better submit a form to facebook, to make sure they know it is false.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Here's a question that is semi-related to the WHO bootlicking the CCP.

Does Medicins Sans Frontieres work in China?

Coz I would imagine that they would face but-tonnes of administrative, cultural, and financial hurdles as they try to offer medical services to people who need them. As a non-profit, (I think?), they don't have the cash that the CCP, and various local tinpot dictator local officials would demand as bribes/costs to be allowed to work. Also, given the CCP's love of detaining foreign nationals over real or perceived slights, surely MSF doctors are prime candidates to be either quietly disappeared, or publically martyred.

Also how is MSF dealing with the Corona Virus globally? Travel restrictions must be hurting them. As would be having extra patients, and dealing with extra incompetent officials.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Blistex posted:

The GBS China thread has people who. . .

1. Read about China
2. Understand a bit about its history and culture
3. Can speak/read the language(s)
4. Have actually been to China/Are still in China
5. Have lived in China/Are still living in China
6. Have Chinese family/are Ethnically Chinese
7. Have a Chinese spouse/kid(s)
8. Are not frustrated loners who have manifested their hate of the opposite sex and their parents into some sort of tankie lifestyle.

I think the thread walks the line of being Anti-CCP and the horrible poo poo it does, but avoids the racism of, "All Chinese people are ______ ".* Also the people who were ironically, or actually rooting for "Genocide Xi" and the CCP to rule the world have been either banned, or banned from this thread.

*does not apply to "olds" & "buzzcuts"

I'm No. 5, (and I suppose No. 4 also). And I generally contribute nothing but either white noise, or stupid questions to the thread.

What do I win?

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 1, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A question regarding Beijing 2022:

Given how Sochi 2014 cost more than all previous Winter Olympics put together, and how most of that was spent on graft, corruption, middle managers etc, and none was spent on facilities, or on anything useful.

How do we think Beijing 2022 will top it? Will they cheap out on everything, or will they spend more? Will the money go to CCP officials, or be siphoned off to various subcontractors? How late are they/will they be in building everything? What new and exciting ways will they find to gently caress up?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

Now that the passport fee has been waived, I've noticed a poo poo tonne of Chinese bot/scam accounts on tinder

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but what sort of scams?

"please marry me and get me out of this lovely country and give me a green card!" style scams? Catfishing? "I am but a poor chinese peasant with huge tits, please throw money at me!" style scams?

Or is it CCP propaganda? Which seems odd to me on a site where people generally show dickpics and are trying to gently caress.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I am not a big fan of TCM, and fully acknowledge the quackery and bullshit that comes with the "traditional" practices of extracting bile from tortured bears, or boiling some poor endangered animal in it's own piss to alleviate the erectile dysfunction of middle aged Chinese businessmen.

But here is my TCM adjacent story of how it kinda sorta worked.

Because I am a privileged middle aged white man, I have gout. So about 7 or so years ago when I was living in Chengdu, I got a particularly bad attack of gout. It hurt like a thousand knives of fire with every step. And the reason it was particularly bad that time was because the gout had joined forces with a blood infection. ANyway, at the hospital, (apart from the obligatory saline drip that they put me on), I got some real medicine, (probably random antibiotics), and they also sent me to the TCM window where an old man in a labcoat ground up some leaves and bark and poo poo and gave it to me with the instructions to make tea from it and drink it twice a day.

To my mind, the tea helped a fucktonne with the pain and swelling more than the pills or the drip. So that is at least one anecdote in favour of Traditional Chinese Medicine.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

What benefit to China is having the WHO under it's thumb?

I mean you could argue international prestige, but the CCP gives no fucks about being considered a healthy, or clean country. Then there is maybe the spiteful reason of keeping Taiwan out, thus denying them respectability/legitimacy, and you know medical help from a global body.

Then there is what is happening now, where the WHO gives a global voice, and the veneer of truth to the CCP's attempts to cover up their own negligence.

But do any of these reasons justify the costs, when the CCP could just as easily do what it normally does which is chuck a tantrum and ignore the rest of the world.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

These are very stupid and very ignorant questions, so I apologize:

1) What is the CCP's preferred strategy on Taiwan? Do they attack them, or ignore them? I know they want the rest of the world to not acknowledge it's existence, but internally, do they poo poo talk Tsai and her government, or do they ignore/ostracize them?

2) How is COVID-19 doing in Macau? Because Macau is, (as far as I know), as officially not-China similarly to how Hong Kong is not-China. And it is this way so they can have legal casinos belching cash into CCP coffers. And that is the crux of the question, coz as far as I know Macau has little other industry apart from casinos, and the tourist dollars that arise from rich mainland businessmen that visit to throw their money at said casinos. Are they still open? And if not, how has that hosed the economy of Macau?

Again apologies for the ignorance of the questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Whilst we are talking about #1 China:

What would the absolute worst thing Taiwan could do to piss off the CCP? I mean they have already declared themselves to be fully independent from China, they compete separately in major sporting competitions etc.

I am not talking about the UN acknowledging Taiwan as a full member, or WHO letting Taiwan join, or heaven forfend, Qantas listing Taiwan as a separate country on their website etc. Which would piss off the CCP no end. I am specifically asking what Taiwan itself could do to further antagonize the pissbaby CCP.

Coz given that their official stances of "Taiwan is 100% China" and "Nuh uh, we aren't. And you are the only people who think so." are already diametrically opposed, I dunno what they could do or say to further distance themselves.