Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

?utm_source=fark
ICID=ref_fark

:thunk:

this is a real snafu (situation normal all farked up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
there's a lot of people in china. many are nice, many are not

but what it really comes down to is gently caress the CCP and taiwan #1

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
seems pretty weird for him to wander in and keep talking so loudly about everything without being hassled more but i can't really figure how it could be fake

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
and there's always plenty of gutter oil there for the taking if you run low

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t know who thought anyone would willingly eat the vomelette. Looks like puke, has the texture of puke, tastes kind of pukey.

people don't care about puke when it's in their stomachs, but you try to make things more efficient and suddenly people hate it! smh

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
all you need for a complete bathroom experience in China is a hole in the ground and a bottle of water as liquid TP

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
there are plenty of resources that document the effects of the virus

generally healthy adults would be expected to survive this but some immune reactions have been noted that could disproportionately effect younger healthy people. in his specific case they probably won't release more info. seems likely to me he was overworked and exhausted, was infected, and probably just got unlucky - it's hard to imagine that the CCP wouldn't have pulled out the stops to keep him alive once his situation was serious. i'm sure the reaction by the public was anticipated

if you're suggesting they killed him or let him die that just doesn't make any sense at all in this case

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah for sure. It's tragic and he's a clear symbol of how the government failed the people. Whether or not he's forgotten will depend on how things go from here; there are some indications that the spread may be slowing but given the uncertainty only more time will tell for sure. If it's not slowing and the effects both heath and economic continue to worsen then it could be the beginning of a larger movement, possibly. (Probably not but I'd be happy to be surprised.)

My point was just that I don't suspect foul play in his passing - the CCP would have much preferred he survive to be able to tell everyone afterwards that the CCP is just fine and dandy.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 7, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
"Boss, I'm afraid he died."

"That's not allowed. I am ordering you that he live."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Just appoint a rando kid as the new Panchen doctor and move on.

oy

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
yeah i'd rather have my care taken out of my hands for pure cold gently caress you and die economic calculations

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i find it frustrating because i can't gauge the level of sarcasm anymore

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the doctors were from the military iirc

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
ya know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPj3nf1jCY8

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
ip man was a dope addict and really not a great teacher

(source, my wing chun teacher)

good movie tho

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
yeah i had seen that 30-50% of results were unreliable. one person needed to be tested four times before he got a positive result

i'm glad the reported new infection numbers are going down because that would be good if it was real but putting everything together about how easy it is to spread and how easy it is to test negative it's just kind of hard to believe this is going to be over anytime soon

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
no they changed how they're counting. diagnosed but not positively tested patients are now included

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
nothing like a corn and seafood pizza :chef:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
everything went south after the warring states period anyways

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
uh i'd say china has spent a lot more time as top dog than america has

it's just that we've had nukes for most of our time

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
true; that said among the regional powers at the time, looking back, it was at times really no contest

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
my original point was just that the US hasn't been around for very long, that's all, not to suggest china reigned supreme over all of history

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GndAiU2qoDI

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it turns out the real china was the enemies we made along the way

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
hey guys stop talking about this thanks

starting to smell gas

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i doubt that. they're just too afraid to call their bluff

what's the CCP going to do? anything to reduce cooperation will just end up hurting themselves as well

besides it's out of China at this point anyways so who cares about Xi's feewings

these WHO officials were probably all bought and paid for a long time ago

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
well you know

he who supplies it, denies it

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Sten Freak posted:

The bookstore owner who disappeared from e: Thailand and then showed up in a Chinese detention center a couple years later got a 10 year sentence.

He's has Swedish citizenship.

he re-applied to get his Chinese citizenship back after he was kidnapped. purely voluntarily, no doubt

but yeah gently caress the CCP

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i xi what you did there

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
just have a COVID-19 party to infect everyone a month before you go so there will be no problems

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Atopian posted:

The 6% number was always for internal consumption.

If they're smart, they'll talk up how badly hit other countries are, contrast their own, uh, wise and enlightened response was, then use the cover of this virus as an exterior problem that they nevertheless handled 'as well as could be expected' to bring their stated economy figures back into line with reality.

Thus allowing for another X years of '6% growth' afterwards.

realtalk, aside from the awkward fact of the initial coverup, judging by how the rest of the world is responding so far, in a couple of weeks the CCP will legitimately be able to say to their people that they handled the outbreak better than anywhere else. don't know how the economy will work out but i can see this ending up enhancing their legitimacy just because of how badly everyone else is screwing up now

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it was a purposeful understatement for the purposes of humor but yes, it will be propagandized out of existence when the CCP can just point to every other country loving up

my feelings on them are well known so please don't call me a 'tankie' or some poo poo. bottom line is we should be doing better. i'm not saying i'm happy about this, it's just what i think will happen

Mozi fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 29, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

chinese hair cave posted:

I pop in from time to time on this thread. Please forgive me for this if the question was asked.

How much of a part did TCM play in making this coronavirus be as devastating as it is? I’m assuming people are going to the hospital built in 10 days and being told to eat rats dipped in urine or some poo poo and they’ll be fine. I don’t think there was much actual medicine done in the first crucial days of the outbreak

little to none. the problem was local officials hiding the problem. china does have actual medicine fwiw

i know it was 'recommended' that people at home treat w/ TCM but that's like drinking herbal tea as a placebo. anyone with serious symptoms tried to get actual treatment

if you want to say the root cause was TCM because otherwise people wouldn't have put bats and pangolins in a wild food market in the middle of the city, then sure i guess

Mozi fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 2, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
isn't admitting that the recording is missing already admitting at least one gently caress-up?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
thinking about the people i met while in china in various times this morning for some reason. been years but i wondering what they're doing now and how everybody is doing with the quarantines. don't suppose anyone has a line on some chinese language wechats or whatever of just talking about just day to day life and how it's going?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ChasMorrison/status/1239655709681299458?s=20

it's going to be very difficult to prevent this from working and the only way to do so would be to suddenly start doing an extremely competent job ourselves

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
my understanding is that the wet markets were permanently, not temporarily, closed? is that correct?

just want to be sure

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

hakimashou posted:

How could anyone know without independent inspections?

i don't think they'd have to be independent inspections. anyone can go to these places, you don't need some secret handshake or something

i was more asking about whether the shutdown was cast as something permanent or not

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, when they shut down endangered species markets in Guangdong they all went underground and are hidden but still there. You can find videos of journalists going to try to check out the markets and once the word gets out there are doors and fences slamming down everywhere to hide what's going on. There's no way the local authorities don't know about it, they just don't enforce anything.

i stand corrected!

i think there must at least be a chance for them to be closed going forward - the cost of having them around is pretty obvious to everyone i would guess. but who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Squalid posted:

I mean the President of the United States is making a point to call it 'Chinese Virus' at every available opportunity. . . it's not exactly subtle messaging.

he's figured out that when people get mad about that they don't ask him why our testing is still so abysmal