Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/27/cdc...k&ICID=ref_fark
110 cases in the US now. We dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Despera posted:

Not going to lie, living 10 years in china, learning chinese, marrying into china, and having chinese children is a good cover for being racist against china

I can’t tell who’s serious anymore. :confused:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

there's a lot of people in china. many are nice, many are not

All of the Chinese immigrants I knew who came to the US were cool... but almost all of them were fleeing the CCP. :(

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

?utm_source=fark
ICID=ref_fark

:thunk:

No judge zone. I don't click on MSM normally.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I saw one with "don't pet the cats." They'd come up and meow at you :smith:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

CIGNX posted:

I found a video of pigs being thrown into a pit to be buried (but not burned alive, jesus christ). Here's a link to a screencap of it, since it's pretty :nms:

https://imgur.com/ocaqBP3

That is... a lot of pigs :stare:

They pigs managed to put the fire out while badly scalded. Then they decided to bury them alive. :(

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RustyKnight posted:

Friend tried to get into student exchange in China for his last semester of law school, worked hard as poo poo for the last few years and now because of the outbreak exchange was canceled. Feel so sorry for poor bastard

...to China or from China?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

WarpedNaba posted:

It's a similar situation to Saudi Arabia, in that the biggest hope for peace in the region is just waiting for their economies to futz out.

Not gonna happen soon :(

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Atopian posted:

A land of contrasts. We've been through this.

I tried to scrute it, but it was not possible.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought it was colonial language because you're grouping all of Asia together? :confused:

Even then, China isn't doing the worst, by a large margin.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

oohhboy posted:

Why does China even bother having an internet or outside connections if they are just going to keep walling it off and laying death traps everywhere.

The death traps are the point.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Look at how it's used

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 3, 2020

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kill All Cops posted:

trump could learn a few things from china about lowering the case count by deliberately not testing people

California's waaaaay ahead of Trump.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What is this primary fact checker crap? Is it a new Facebook "feature"?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

It took less than a week for the idiots to get banned. Cspam tankies would fare no better.

Most just migrated offsite. C-spam would do the same.

I can't believe the China thread in D&D is so bad that the GBS thread is the best place to go for China news. :(

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fat Jesus posted:

Yeah I'm in Australia where there's nothing more Australian than to tell the people who run the Vietnamese bakery to gently caress off back to China, if that gives an idea how a lot of people seem to be feeling, and I think as time goes on more people are going to be demanding our government grow some balls (lol) and tell China to please pay bill for the endless river of money they're giving out. Best that can come out of this clusterfuck is maybe something will happen to cause the Chinese themselves to overthrow the commies which would probably lead to a couple million of them getting shot until the soldiers get tired of murdering their own people (happens) then a new happy era of Taiwan number one can begin and wealth beyond measure will resume for all.
plz critique this fan fic

I think too many Chinese believe the pandemic is under control in China, and are much more likely to believe other countries have inadequate disease control.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Good luck 88 get!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BrokenGameboy posted:

I to go up to random people and ask them to explain and justify the entire nation they're associated with.

:same: including the grammar

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

HerStuddMuffin posted:

The American equivalent to “you wouldn’t understand” is “if you don’t like it you should go back to your country”. Source: I spent a decade in the US.

This is literally every country. Ever. BUT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT...

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Let’s not forget the trade deals with Africa. Why are they being delivered such cheap poo poo? Did they not know how to cross their t’s and dot their i’s in Chinese?! ...or maybe they were just being... inscrutable?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

url posted:

I don't have search, but following Trump's genius to IV disinfectant, I wanted to highlight that this was tried by a mayor in one of the rural provinces somewhere around the 27th March, buy I can't find the link.

ok thanks

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

*snip*

This is pretty much why I stopped studying Japanese. I spent a hell of a long time learning a relatively difficult language that I don't use in my personal or professional life. The time sunk to reward ratio is pretty low. Even those I know who do use Japanese in their professional lives always couple that with another skill they have.

Speaking a foreign language has been a sign of culture and/or intelligence for centuries, but it's really a form a classism.

Speaking English also kinda makes us spoiled.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

LimburgLimbo posted:

Uhhhh speaking another language(s)/dialects to at least a conversational level is, for a great many cultures and places in the world, the default. Saying that it's a form of classism is ironically an incredibly Anglocentric take dude.

Considering my audience is these forums, not really?

edit for your edit: That's an odd take, and is also a kind of woke-me-up pissing contest that's better off in a DnD thread.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Bold the whole thing, etc

Honestly, ignoring them and not actively trying to find them just emboldens people. I mean, at least not actively looking for them is implied in the article.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
You guys lived in China and you're worried about 3 day old refrigerated rice. rofl

edit:

quote:

B. cereus is a pathogen that causes two kinds of illness. If large amounts of the toxin is consumed, it will cause a vomiting sickness 30 minutes to six hours after consumption, according to the CDC. If the stimulated spores themselves are consumed and germinate in the intestines it will cause diarrhea up to 16 hours after ingestion.

Haier mystery solved. :mysterysolved:

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 7, 2020

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BrainDance posted:

oh right yeah it's the bowl you dont have.

just a bunch of tiny little childrens bowls.

sh-sh-shut up! Those were hand me downs from my mother! Those are my ROOTS!!!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

My fiance, who is mainland Chinese but immigrated to the US as a child had a roommate who is Chinese or Taiwanese but was born and grew up in Texas. The roommate somehow never had any non-chinese friends and has some particular mannerisms that would make you think she came to the US and never assimilated.

To the point, she would cook a big batch of soup or stew and leave it out, uncovered on the stove, and over the week reheat it, eat a serving, and continue to leave it out. Allegedly she never got sick, but I have no idea how.

Collateral posted:

A lot of soups and stews taste better after they prove for a while, but that is perhaps a day at most. That lady's soup would be nasty after 2-3 days sat out, fermented and rotten. Perhaps the alcohol balanced out the germs.

StevoMcQueen posted:

My BIL in Korea had made a stew with some booze in, but wasn't following the recipe and dumped the whole bottle in. It tasted foul, so he left it on the stove and reheated it for like ~1 hour a day for a week, never trying it, just reheating it, in an effort to burn off the alcohol.

After nearly a week of watching this I just binned it on the basis of it being an unnecessary health hazard amidst the current pandemic.
Probably should have thrown it away because it's a culinary disaster.

wtf goons.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

so the real reason its not such a big deal in most asian households is the keep warm setting on rice cookers. it gets to 140, 150f, the bacterial toxins form best from 75f to 95f

The real reason is they make rice more often, know how much they'll use, and have plans for leftovers. If they don't have plans, they'll just pitch it, because who wants dried out rice?

If you keep rice for any period of time at that tempt it gets pretty nasty. In the same amount of time, you could pluck the bowl out and serve out of it (which my family does every year at thanksgiving) you'll be just fine. If it's more than 90 minutes or so, I usually consider it a wash. Just put on a smaller amount of rice on later.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Not true at all, leaving rice on keep warm for long periods is common if not the default. In China they even sell special rice thermoses so you can keep your rice sitting out warm for days without keeping the rice cooker full. People in China have at least mild food poisoning so regularly it's hard to track to any particular source, though. I must have heard literally thousands of people having aggressive diarrhea in public bathrooms.

Dunno how they do it in China, never been invited to look, but I knew was the case with the several families I stayed with in Japan.

The... umm... description of the food poisoning rate kinda sounds like maybe that is not the greatest method of preserving rice.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Trying to get a large pane of tempered glass into an elevator.

It's China, and I'm posting this, so you know how it ends.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=aG1Yr_1589742062&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Be careful. They're cute when they're young but as they mature they can get very agrressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q82bGtujFA

I didn't know I needed this.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I’m looking forward to the results so we can find out all of the new things China invented!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I also measure political beliefs on a 2d axis.

4chan

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I wonder if the teahouse scam is still going strong. I read an article recently about a guy who was a victim of it once in Beijing, and it caused him to turn down a stranger’s offer to be taken out for tea in Syria years later. It took a while for him to realize that many Syrians were just genuinely hospitable and welcoming, and drink a poo poo ton of tea. Not that all Syrians good and mainlanders bad, it’s just a cultural tendency.

It is. In Japan as well. Never been a vicitim of it, but I always hear people posting about falling for it in travelers' forums.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Open the pod bay doors HAL!"

*doors open 1 inch*

"chabuduo"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Good thing India isn't being run by a fascist nationalist psycho who is probably itching for an external threat to keep the public busy while he pogroms Muslims.

Are we talking about India or China? :confused:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

I can also back up the opinion of Indians that Blistex experienced. When mainlanders would tell me what countries/peoples they hated, the list was almost always this one and in this order:

Koreans
Hong Kongers
Vietnamese
Indians

After that you started getting wild cards. One had Mexicans as #5 and I was so confused.

You might think Japan would be on the list but I never met anyone who had a problem with Japan, most of my students were enormous weebs. I wonder if that had something to do with being in Sichuan well west of Chongqing, which was pretty much outside of Japan's reach in the war. I can imagine people further east being raised on family stories of the Japanese invasion having a different point of view.

....America's.... not number one?! :ohdear:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
"write the exam"? What kinda profanity is that? Guess it's what we expect from people who "gently caress the dog". :mad:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
post the suit.

i have waited long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

jenga, hardcore