Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

previously on Outworlder Farworld Pioneers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yambZmWBYYM

We still exist, we just got a new name and a bit of a facelift. Also, a publisher.

Also, WE'RE OUT! Play now!!

Farworld Pioneers! Give me all of your money!

Farworld Pioneers is the maiden project of Igloosoft Games. It will be released on Windows, Xbox, and Playstation.

Main features:

• Full multiplayer
Play the game from the jump with your friends, or form rival clans and kill each other.

• Fluid movement and gun focused combat
At a core level we wanted the game and its combat to be simple and fun to play with.

• Emphasis on colonizing and community building
Recruit NPC followers, make them farm and craft and fight. Take them to strange, new locations and get them all killed.

• Complex NPC-based crafting
Why do everything yourself, when you can get all of your scientist and engineer peons to do that work for you!

https://twitter.com/FarworldPioneer/status/1640338294591422464

• Finally, Keybinds and the Rebinding Thereof
You asked and we delivered. It's bind time.

• Designed to be easily accessible for modders
We've already got our own bespoke asset importers, chunk/set-piece generators, etc. that we plan on making player-facing down the line, and games in the Unity engine are pretty moddable to begin with.

Farworld Pioneers is an open-world sandbox adventure that will follow the player on their journey from a hapless survivor of a shipwreck to being the leader and protector of a burgeoning spacefaring colony. You begin on a cold, unfriendly world, and will quickly have to navigate the hostile elements and hostile alien environments while learning to farm crops, build weapons, and power your resources. Eventually, you will discover the ancient knowledge required launch your adventure into space.

There will be minimal narrative – instead, there will be a sprawling setting to explore and piece together at your leisure.

Join us on our community discord! Grab the demo, grab your friends and, I cannot stress this enough, give me all of your money!

oh whoops dropped these Social Media Links please follow us thanks

Website

Community Discord
Twitter
Insta

Studio Website

Studio Insta
Studio Facebook
Studio Twitter

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ya boy aboutta reserve this post

also funny title pending

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Everything about this game is rad. People working on it are extremely cool.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

At what funding level can we expect a playable penguin race?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
too bad i don't have $400 to name a faction. I wanted a bunch of steampunk crazies eternally fighting the cyberpunk faction.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Saxophone posted:

PM me your routing and account number

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Saxophone posted:

Approximately never

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Add "cockatoo" to the features list

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

Approximately never

I hope this came off humorous because in hindsight, listening to your war stories, that maybe wasn't cool.

I'm extremely excited for this game.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Looking at the pre-order tiers. What exactly does designing a shuttle or ship entail?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Akratic Method posted:

Looking at the pre-order tiers. What exactly does designing a shuttle or ship entail?

At some point an artist will be assigned to you and you can have input on designing a ship. The input can be as much or as little as you want, but the artist will be there to make sure that it still fits within the game's fictional constraints.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
bummed i don't have 400$ so i can make a faction. What factions are there already?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

how come when it says "meaningful NPCs" in the trailer, it is showing them walking a little bit and then walking back? I think it would have been a good idea to have something else when saying that part.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Cavauro posted:

how come when it says "meaningful NPCs" in the trailer, it is showing them walking a little bit and then walking back? I think it would have been a good idea to have something else when saying that part.

NPCs aren't fully implemented yet :) The trailer was made mostly using footage from creative. We're going to be spending February crunching to get the first release of the Survival Alpha out which will have the genesis of those features.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

By the way I just now realized we should probably be cross-posting stuff like this:

Outworlder Developer Update 2/1/2020

Basically we've got someone (Reaven) who's taken it upon themselves to to spend some time writing up a bunch of poo poo we've been working on and posting about in the dev channel and compiling it into a weekly (or bi-weekly depending on the thing we're working on so we don't have a post that's just one thing lol).

This week it's:

Controls UI! Something quick so that people loving around in the alpha and creative can have a quick reference.This is going to be pretty'd up and added to as time goes on and features are added to the game.

Health! This will matter soon, that's part of our buckling down this month, is to give players something to kill, something that kills them, a way to fight, and a reason to.

Worldgen! The ability to rapidly generate new terrain and biomes isn't a joke, it's being wrapped up into the NBT file architecture so that even us dumb weenie artists can modify, change, and add them while code people work on more specialized things. As for trees, we've got a plan to have them generate in chunks pieces, possibly tie them to the IK system so that can be dynamically affected by the action of them being chopped up and falling down, or blown by the wind or whatever. Right now they're tall, simple trees but we're still working out the kinks and also the fir-like tree fits the game's current default "tundra"-style terrain pretty well anyway.

Guns! For shootin'

Crafting! WIP UI, this will likely change at some point, probably heavily, but that's game dev for you. Crafting is also this month, at least a simplified, "hand" version of it. We still plan on tying crafting to the colony. If you've played Conan Exiles it's going to operate kind of sort of like that, where you can do some things by yourself but to get the real fancy stuff you've got to enslave recruit some followers.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Mycroft Holmes posted:

bummed i don't have 400$ so i can make a faction. What factions are there already?

Ok, so there are yet unnamed larger factions in the game universe, so I can't even speak to them. I would think in broad strokes then narrow it down. Do I want them to be military? (yes) okay, what kind? Mercenaries (good bad indifferent?) bad. Okay, I'd like to make space pirates/raiders. We sit with you and go through how they would look/feel/behave. Then recheck about how your created faction would fit in the larger scheme of things as the main factions are implemented.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ok, so there are yet unnamed larger factions in the game universe, so I can't even speak to them. I would think in broad strokes then narrow it down. Do I want them to be military? (yes) okay, what kind? Mercenaries (good bad indifferent?) bad. Okay, I'd like to make space pirates/raiders. We sit with you and go through how they would look/feel/behave. Then recheck about how your created faction would fit in the larger scheme of things as the main factions are implemented.

oh. well, I don't have any money beyond the 20$ i spent pre-ordering, but my idea was a steampunk faction eternally at war with a cyberpunk faction.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Crafting! WIP UI, this will likely change at some point, probably heavily, but that's game dev for you. Crafting is also this month, at least a simplified, "hand" version of it. We still plan on tying crafting to the colony. If you've played Conan Exiles it's going to operate kind of sort of like that, where you can do some things by yourself but to get the real fancy stuff you've got to enslave recruit some followers.
Followers + crafting reminds me of a concept I've taken for granted.

While quite often enemies are exempt from it in 2D worlds, will Followers be exempt from friendly fire between themselves or by you?

Because I just had a mental image of handing everyone shotguns and things going horribly wrong.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Oh, I highly doubt there will be friendly fire. It's a 2d game after all.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

When you're deep in the bug wars repelling bugs from your fledgling base and they are climbing over their dead to get to you, I dont think anyone would enjoy friendly fire

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah normally I'm either way on friendly fire, but in a 2D game where your only options are "aim higher" and "not do anything" in a friendly is in your way, turning off friendly fire is pretty much the only way to do it. Explosive damage could probably be something we make you be careful with tho.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah normally I'm either way on friendly fire, but in a 2D game where your only options are "aim higher" and "not do anything" in a friendly is in your way, turning off friendly fire is pretty much the only way to do it. Explosive damage could probably be something we make you be careful with tho.
I had a feeling it would err on the side of "Shotguns safe. Hand grenades not so much" since you guys are still intending to put Fun Gameplay™ as your priority.

But it is the sort of thing you get curious about in the first steps of a game's life. As that's where you start thinking about a lot of basic gameplay elements you take for granted the most.

Like wondering "Wait, will lasers need to reload? Or will it be 'battery left, yes/no'" , if defense is a blanket value or players are at risk of head-shots if your helmet is lovely. etc etc.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The lead coder of this is one of the most dedicated coders I have ever met. He's just bananas. It's hard to convey how much this project is in good hands.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah Ferr's a psychopath. You tell him to do something and a day later it's done and he's also already halfway finished working on what you're about to ask him to do

Section Z posted:

I had a feeling it would err on the side of "Shotguns safe. Hand grenades not so much" since you guys are still intending to put Fun Gameplay™ as your priority.

But it is the sort of thing you get curious about in the first steps of a game's life. As that's where you start thinking about a lot of basic gameplay elements you take for granted the most.

Like wondering "Wait, will lasers need to reload? Or will it be 'battery left, yes/no'" , if defense is a blanket value or players are at risk of head-shots if your helmet is lovely. etc etc.

Yeah at this very moment we're working on getting guns up and running and we're considering all the little minute details, there's going to be extensive testing.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Elentor posted:

The lead coder of this is one of the most dedicated coders I have ever met. He's just bananas. It's hard to convey how much this project is in good hands.

He really is a beast.

And Hi El, how've you been my man?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm good, anxious to see more. Those screenshots are looking amazing!

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Oh hey, I can finally throw money at this game.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh hey, we kind of announced this, but I've been spending time on it and I wanna post it properly. But Rho had me draw mechs

Mechs mechs mechs

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Oh, sweet, a new Front Mission game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Good news: The Mechs won't be pointless!

Bad News: "Oh poo poo, the Mechs aren't pointless" *EDF flashbacks ensue*

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

bookmarking this thread to keep a watchful eye on the possibility of Good Space Terraria

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Oh hey, we kind of announced this, but I've been spending time on it and I wanna post it properly. But Rho had me draw mechs

Mechs mechs mechs

Mechs that actually do stuff and aren't just copy pasted stand ins so we can say each race has one? Go figure!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Section Z posted:

Good news: The Mechs won't be pointless!

Bad News: "Oh poo poo, the Mechs aren't pointless" *EDF flashbacks ensue*

Lmao you won't have to dash cancel to move properly in our game actually

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rhopunzel posted:

Mechs that actually do stuff and aren't just copy pasted stand ins so we can say each race has one? Go figure!

do they last more than 10 seconds before exploding because their batteries are like those of an old cell phone?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Cat Mattress posted:

do they last more than 10 seconds before exploding because their batteries are like those of an old cell phone?

Yeah, afaik, they'll have their own health and armor system separate from the player. Small caliber rounds will likely be ineffective unless the volume is enormous.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Still sour that the title didn't end up being Space and Friends, but the pivot towards EDFvania has me interested.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

If we named it Space and Friends that would be the only people who would have bought it

Friends

Separately, I can't emphasize properly how solid the foundation of this game is. Multiplayer built from the ground up, we were deep in Pre-Alpha and we could have 30+ people running around just using someone's computer as a server.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I'm getting irrationally angry about, "but Starbound wasn't bad, stop making fun of it" person

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Hahaha, yes. There's going to be a lot of that so I'm taking the stance of starbound is great but --

Or starbound is great and we're just going to build off of the idea and make it better etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'm getting irrationally angry about, "but Starbound wasn't bad, stop making fun of it" person
You can't make "Starbound, but fun" if you can't make fun of Starbound.