Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I too think a game where colonist NPCs being attacked by random wildlife react by saying, "help!" and standing in place when the airlock base entrance is right there (let alone the supposed "guard" NPCs) is totally good programming.

Or the utility of ship crew NPCs - oh look, poo poo wanders aimlessly.

Or that the stupid colonist NPC quests were the same loving thing almost literally the same loving distance from the base.

Or that there had to be moving sprites for water drops out of sprinklers that slowed the gently caress out of my game when I had 4 of them going. Whatever, preaching to the choir here.

But yeah, to not sound like I do and be a bit peeved you probably need something more constructive. I mean, I got 95 hours out of Starbound and feel meh about it while I got ~25 hours out of Tyranny and feel good about it, while Tyranny was more expensive than Starbound.

I think you could get good mileage out of the change in scenery and how that would require building something new rather than trying to mod it in. Starbound is a multi-season cartoon show while Outworlder feels more like it could be a live action gritty action drama. It's not a bad thing to like the cartoon or its spinoffs, but there's a big difference between Power Rangers and, uh, Pacific Rim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Yeah, a more serious tone is necessary to elevate the genre. I don't think final fantasy sprites are going to cut it anymore.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's going to be a bit of a balancing act that may take us a bit to actually nail but we're going for it. We're not going to just be all fast-and-loose goofiness and memes, but we're not exactly trying to make This War of Mine 2.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Babe Magnet posted:

It's going to be a bit of a balancing act that may take us a bit to actually nail but we're going for it. We're not going to just be all fast-and-loose goofiness and memes, but we're not exactly trying to make This War of Mine 2.

Lmao, can you imagine

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I couldn't do it, I'm way too smoothbrained to handle actual serious subject matter. I'll be the first to admit I'd immediately ruin everything.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I mean, it's possible to be fun and have a sense of levity AND also have gravitas. The middle ground between Wahoo Woohoo Pizza and Schindler's List is vast and accommodating.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’ve been so intrigued by This War of Mine but the massive seriousness and emotions I don’t think I want to handle given the seriousness of my day job and you know, the rest of current events.

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

If shlocky drama writing is anything to go by, just consult your edgy teenage channer nerd. Never say anyone's objectively in the wrong, but also, you're wrong if you kill anyone regardless of if they attacked first. Look. Those murderous cannibalistic hobos had a baby, who is also pregnant. And maybe man is the real monster. Isnt that hosed upp mannn *listens to NIN's ghosts album on repeat*

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

We're gonna do the usual gaming poo poo where you kill indiscriminately but make A Big Deal about it at some point for plot reasons

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

heh, ever heard of a little thing called Ludonarrative Dissonance? In this first part of my 8 episode series I will be discussing Uncharted, and

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Katsuma posted:

I mean, it's possible to be fun and have a sense of levity AND also have gravitas. The middle ground between Wahoo Woohoo Pizza and Schindler's List is vast and accommodating.

Schindler's Pizza, you say...

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Samovar posted:

Schindler's Pizza, you say...

extremely insensitive oven joke here

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Glenn Quebec posted:

We're gonna do the usual gaming poo poo where you kill indiscriminately but make A Big Deal about it at some point for plot reasons

When one of your buddy NPCs emotes about defeating some enemy mooks, your character should get the opportunity to say "<name of sidekick>, please. He had a family."

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I think I preferred, “have you considered Starbound is good???” to our latest contestant.

“It’s not an issue to me, therefore let me tell you how you made a bad decision.”

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Oh the person who was tooth and nail defending Starbound. "It allowed me to mod and fix it, therefore it's good. Even if it needed fixing."

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh the person who was tooth and nail defending Starbound. "It allowed me to mod and fix it, therefore it's good. Even if it needed fixing."

While a distant tangent, the general tone reminds me of "There is TOO in game documentation!... Because there are links to youtube videos in the game!" style hot takes.

Why is there so much crossover between people who love to hype up "Immersion" and "Having to play with a wiki open in your lap is BETTER than an in game glossary" ?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Where are you finding starbound weirdos?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

OwlFancier posted:

Where are you finding starbound weirdos?

Nature of the genre + Rho's background methinks. Every one of our ads has "STARBOUND LOL" or something about Terraria in the comments.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No I mean are you like geting @ed on twitter from starb0n3r_69 or something?

E: oh like on press sites or something?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Glenn Quebec posted:

I know if I buy a new car from a dealership and it's covered in dents and won't turn over and I have to fix it out of pocket, I'm definitely going to be happy with my purchase

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey timmy I got you the best present, it's a broken teapot and a roll of gaffer tape.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I don't think it's been asked yet in this or the other thread- When you build a colony/fort will you be able to build on the whole planet and turn it into an ecumenopolis?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I don't see why not

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

:siren:

It has come to my attention that we've officially have a working firearms and the first victim was a chicken

R.I.P chicken

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Glenn Quebec posted:

:siren:

It has come to my attention that we've officially have a working firearms and the first victim was a chicken

R.I.P chicken

She got to the other side :smith:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It turned into a delicious dinner. Like, final fight turkey item drop. Idk if that's just a stand in graphic but I hope it isn't

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 8, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

HopperUK posted:

She got to the other side :smith:

Bravo...

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

OP, put us in there:

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

At least every part of the chicken was used.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

rip, to the chicken that died

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

Mechs that actually do stuff and aren't just copy pasted stand ins so we can say each race has one? Go figure!

Hey Starbound almost had a robot that did "stuff"

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
War is bad but video game murder is fun and good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

War is bad but video game murder is fun and good.

For one thing, it gets you chicken dinners!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Pixel meat is virtual murder

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

OP, put us in there:

done

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Appreciating the stupid humor and birdjokes that were the precursor to Starbound and all the people here who defended Starbound - based on this, look forward to Starbound II (it's totally not Starbound again, this time poop really is funny).

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

SlyFrog posted:

Appreciating the stupid humor and birdjokes that were the precursor to Starbound and all the people here who defended Starbound - based on this, look forward to Starbound II (it's totally not Starbound again, this time poop really is funny).

It was 2012, it was a more innocent age~~

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

It was 2012, it was a more innocent age~~

Starbound was not 2012...

Oh my god.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Maybe I'm getting my devs mixed up here, but I could have sworn that one of the devs involved in this project (maybe Rho?) did a talk or blog post about game development in Rust? Follow up questions are probably better suited for the Ask a dev thread, I guess, but it got me curious about the choice to transition to unity for Outworlder. :v:

Ignore this in the likely event that I'm completely misremembering this!

On a much more related note, this game looks super promising. I liked how smooth the movement system felt in the creative demo, and I'm excited for the upcoming pre alpha or whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

forkbucket posted:

Maybe I'm getting my devs mixed up here, but I could have sworn that one of the devs involved in this project (maybe Rho?) did a talk or blog post about game development in Rust? Follow up questions are probably better suited for the Ask a dev thread, I guess, but it got me curious about the choice to transition to unity for Outworlder. :v:

Ignore this in the likely event that I'm completely misremembering this!

On a much more related note, this game looks super promising. I liked how smooth the movement system felt in the creative demo, and I'm excited for the upcoming pre alpha or whatever it's called.

If you mean the language and not the game, I'm fairly sure that was kyren, the lead coder on Starbound.

Pre alpha is imminent! It'll feature gunplay, the first tier of crafting (i.e. stuff you can make on hand), day/night cycles, creatures and of course multiplayer.

I'm super excited for people to try the gunplay, we put a lot of effort into making it as slick as the movement.