Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The gunplay is really sick. I can't wait to see how it fleshes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Rhopunzel posted:

If you mean the language and not the game, I'm fairly sure that was kyren, the lead coder on Starbound.

Pre alpha is imminent! It'll feature gunplay, the first tier of crafting (i.e. stuff you can make on hand), day/night cycles, creatures and of course multiplayer.

I'm super excited for people to try the gunplay, we put a lot of effort into making it as slick as the movement.

Yea sorry, I meant the rust programming language, and looks like I did infact have my devs mixed up! Nevermind then.

I am really happy this game is gun focused, and now I'm just more pumped!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Rhopunzel posted:

Pre alpha is imminent! It'll feature gunplay, the first tier of crafting (i.e. stuff you can make on hand), day/night cycles, creatures and of course multiplayer.

I'm super excited for people to try the gunplay, we put a lot of effort into making it as slick as the movement.
Hell yeah!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

By imminent we mean real soon btw, not months out. Imminent as in "this works, right now, we're just polishing and ironing out small details"

Orv
May 4, 2011
So tomorrow.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Maybe not that soon. You could give me more money and I'll see what I can do though

Orv
May 4, 2011
For once I am going to attempt some patience and let others traverse the abyss first.

Am looking forward to it though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
If it's got better gunplay than Starbound that's all it'll take to be good

goddamn that game's guns sucked

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Unless they were in enemy hands in which case they'd just fire an infinite stream of chip damage at you

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There was a lot more wrong with Starbound than just the guns, my friend.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

DACK FAYDEN posted:

reloading, hipfire, shoulder aiming

an actual ammo counter! reminder to reload! it's almost like it makes sense!

turrets that are actually useful instead of being another prop for your dollhouse!

i could write paragraphs about the stupid loving energy system on starbound and how much i hated it and the people who decided it was a good idea. i basically had the above systems planned out, "approved" and ready to go and then a certain team member decided on a whim that no one cared about gunplay and that it'd somehow make more sense and feel better to have metal bullets spontaneously generate out of thin air from ~energy~. having the opportunity to do what i originally had planned 1:1 and the overwhelmingly positive response it's gotten is the most validating thing ever. gently caress energy and that stupid loving system

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 10, 2020

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

turrets that are actually useful instead of being another prop for your dollhouse!

i could write paragraphs about the stupid loving energy system on starbound and how much i hated it and the people who decided it was a good idea. i basically had the above systems planned out, "approved" and ready to go and then a certain team member decided on a whim that no one cared about gunplay and that it'd somehow make more sense and feel better to have metal bullets spontaneously generate out of thin air from ~energy~. having the opportunity to do what i originally had planned 1:1 and the overwhelmingly positive response it's gotten is the most validating thing ever. gently caress energy and that stupid loving system

All of this appears to completely rule. I'm really excited about this game.

It still baffles me that someone managed to gently caress up "hey, make Terraria, but in space!"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Rhopunzel posted:

That loss is our gain, friend!

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Saxophone posted:

It still baffles me that someone managed to gently caress up "hey, make Terraria, but in space!"

It's because originally it wasn't meant to be Terraria in space at all, the original concept was totally different. It just became that way after we realised we'd bitten off more than we could chew, but certain people couldn't leave it at "just do what Terraria did well" and wanted to reinvent the wheel, so we ended up with this weird half measure where it inherited none of the good parts of Terraria while the new parts mostly fell flat.

But enough about that game!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I remain most excited to have z-doors so I can finally create long dormitory halls for my colony.

I hope you have a good wiring system to play with, too!

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
I just want to say that the animations I've seen so far in this game are dope as gently caress, and you all deserve high fives. That is some grade A pixel art and the more I see the more excited I get!

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
It sounds like this is a good time to jump in? Crafting and monsters and guns sounds like game-y stuff is beginning to happen. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've been up to

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I like making videos and am looking forward to trying to make video game videos with this game assuming the Mac version works, as my PC boot isn’t set up for screen cap.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Rhopunzel posted:

this looks super cool, i can't wait to give guns a try! only complaint is the flashing reload is a bit distracting.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's not going to be like that forever, just a bit of idiot-proofing for the demo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can't keep this/Outer Wilds/Outer Worlds threads straight. Looks promising though!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

poo poo dude me either and I've been working on this one for months

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

surfacelevelstudd posted:

this looks super cool, i can't wait to give guns a try! only complaint is the flashing reload is a bit distracting.

It feels like an animation from a light gun game. Part of me thinks it should be saying to shoot outside the screen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So how is this getting along?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pretty good actually, we've put in a lot of work behind-the-scenes to get NPCs existing in an actual, usable context and we're laying the groundwork for giving them something to do.

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1270242194121789440

We're mainlyworking on a bunch of not-visual-facing stuff at the moment so there hasn't really been a lot to show, but it's still going steady along. Scroll through Rho's twitter there to see some recent development like weapons that destroy terrain, a UI rework, more NPC stuff. There's some other real cool poo poo we're waiting to talk about soon but I can't really say too much more about it right now lol

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Babe Magnet posted:

Pretty good actually, we've put in a lot of work behind-the-scenes to get NPCs existing in an actual, usable context and we're laying the groundwork for giving them something to do.

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1270242194121789440

We're mainlyworking on a bunch of not-visual-facing stuff at the moment so there hasn't really been a lot to show, but it's still going steady along. Scroll through Rho's twitter there to see some recent development like weapons that destroy terrain, a UI rework, more NPC stuff. There's some other real cool poo poo we're waiting to talk about soon but I can't really say too much more about it right now lol

Glad this is still going on. Keep up the good work!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It needs the one good part of Starbound, aka the pre-nerf grappling hook.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Sorry for the gap in thread updates, things have picked up a lot - I've been able to hire a team full time now so we're getting a ton of progress made.

Speaking of which, to show that Starbound's bullshit energy is well and truly in the dirt:

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1303861891127824384

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rhopunzel posted:

Sorry for the gap in thread updates, things have picked up a lot - I've been able to hire a team full time now so we're getting a ton of progress made.

Speaking of which, to show that Starbound's bullshit energy is well and truly in the dirt:

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1303861891127824384
Glad to hear you are still hanging in there in the bullshit that is 2020.

Also, the real bullshit about starbound's energy meter was that it was effectively :airquote: "Infinite ammo" in name only.

It was terrible because you could hardly fire your guns at all, not because it was a meter instead of consumables.

But hey, at least you WANT people to shoot their guns :buddy: So the lack of deep rooted loathing for your player's needs is gonna do wonders regardless of needing a backpack full of bullets. Which you have already implied (stated?) can be farmed out to NPCs to save you sanity time anyways.

More seriously. Where is ammo gonna land between "Shared Pistol/shotgun/Rifle/Kabooms types" or "Every single weapon has it's own unique ammo and crafting blueprint."

Any hard goals decided by now for if enemies will have traditional infinite ammo until their corpse only leaves 0-2 shotgun shells? Or "To save on processing yes they have infinite ammo, but at least they drop a full crate of bullets instead of a single pity magazine".

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Section Z posted:

Glad to hear you are still hanging in there in the bullshit that is 2020.

Also, the real bullshit about starbound's energy meter was that it was effectively :airquote: "Infinite ammo" in name only.

It was terrible because you could hardly fire your guns at all, not because it was a meter instead of consumables.

But hey, at least you WANT people to shoot their guns :buddy: So the lack of deep rooted loathing for your player's needs is gonna do wonders regardless of needing a backpack full of bullets. Which you have already implied (stated?) can be farmed out to NPCs to save you sanity time anyways.

More seriously. Where is ammo gonna land between "Shared Pistol/shotgun/Rifle/Kabooms types" or "Every single weapon has it's own unique ammo and crafting blueprint."

Any hard goals decided by now for if enemies will have traditional infinite ammo until their corpse only leaves 0-2 shotgun shells? Or "To save on processing yes they have infinite ammo, but at least they drop a full crate of bullets instead of a single pity magazine".

We've been incredibly, ridiculously lucky to be in the position we're in. I pretty much count my blessings every day that we're able to continue development in the way we are.

Currently the plan for ammo is to split weapons into projectiles, energy and special weapons.

Projectiles will have 3 ammo sub types: Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, and we're leaving the door open for sub sub types within those (armor piercing, hollow point, subsonic, etc) but won't be committing to them until the first level's figured out and balanced. Special weapons will be reserved for, well, special weapons, and their ammo will be unique per weapon (grenades, rockets, nukes, etc). Pistol and shotgun ammo will be more ubiquitous, rifle less so. So there'll be some decision making to be made - do you bring along weapons that are easier to find ammo for but do less damage, or more powerful weapons that ammo's harder to find for.

Energy weapons are less set in stone, but we don't want them to be simply infinite ammo forever. We're exploring having them need to be recharged/refilled by a specific NPC, but having a much larger capacity count to make up for it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rhopunzel posted:

We've been incredibly, ridiculously lucky to be in the position we're in. I pretty much count my blessings every day that we're able to continue development in the way we are.

Currently the plan for ammo is to split weapons into projectiles, energy and special weapons.

Projectiles will have 3 ammo sub types: Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, and we're leaving the door open for sub sub types within those (armor piercing, hollow point, subsonic, etc) but won't be committing to them until the first level's figured out and balanced. Special weapons will be reserved for, well, special weapons, and their ammo will be unique per weapon (grenades, rockets, nukes, etc). Pistol and shotgun ammo will be more ubiquitous, rifle less so. So there'll be some decision making to be made - do you bring along weapons that are easier to find ammo for but do less damage, or more powerful weapons that ammo's harder to find for.

Energy weapons are less set in stone, but we don't want them to be simply infinite ammo forever. We're exploring having them need to be recharged/refilled by a specific NPC, but having a much larger capacity count to make up for it.
Just try to make sure every subtype of ammo has some reason it feels COOL to ammo swap, instead of making it an awkward obligation to juggle purely more to avoid penalties than to gain bonuses. If your biggest cause to swap ammo us "I have to remove my *ammo type* or I'll take a damage penalty and waste 20%-40% more bullets on the bug monster." that isn't satisfying. Neither is damage being kinda poo poo unless you use The Right Ammo Type.

As for energy? Well thankfully you are dealing in video games. So "Blaster Battery packs just sci-fi flavored Individual Magazines, right?" is not a stretch when you have to stop and craft your regular bullets anyways.

Plus if only the most specially trained of NPCs could supply them? That only raises the question of "If these are so hard to so much as maintain, how come enemies never run out of laser ammo? Do they even HAVE laser refill NPCs?"

More so if you kill a laser gun enemy and they drop jack poo poo for reloads :v: But it is so much easier to forgive the idea of an offscreen crafting bench.

Basically. You want to avoid the major decision point of the player using lasers being if they give a weary sigh checking their wristwatch. Needing to make a round trip to the special laser man only at two of your five bases causes that whether you have enough resources to make five laser batteries, or fifty. While simply being expensive as gently caress to craft, on your terms, can make only having enough to spare for three laser packs more engaging.

Short version: If you want to limit lasers for reasons of "Because lasers are so rare and hard to supply (according to lore)" Then you sure as hell better be able to at least break even killing enemies with lasers via your own lasers. Especially out in the wild or small guard outposts that don't have their own Evil Laser Ammo NPC.

Because at the very least, usually my top reason for wanting to use the biggest and best swords, guns, or robots... Is purely because the enemy keeps attacking me with them no matter how much I'm brow beaten with how incredibly rare they are. Otherwise I'd be happy with a rusty hunting rifle and some hand grenades for all of my days instead of desperately scrounging for plasma ammo.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 10, 2020

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yeah, I didn't hate the ammo/energy thing in Starbound, honestly. I don't think I'll hate ammo management too much either, but that said with this type of game the sandbox and building aspect holds my attention way longer than the action, so it would be nice if there could be an option (even if hidden in an admin console) to turn off ammo requirements for guns. But I do get you're aiming for more of an active game than a little 2-D minecraft that incidentally has a few guns.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My only real comment on this is maybe have a discrete ammo inventory rather than having to make the non-choice of how much of your inventory to waste on ammo for a trip.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i've only contributed a minor trailer critique to the thread months ago so I wanted to say I'm looking forward to the game big time and really enjoyed all of what was said in the past threads about what went wrong with that other game. Hope everyone involved in making this thing is doing okay

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Fuckin' hell I want this game so bad

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh nooo I hate ammo management. Will there maybe be guns that don't use it? Lasers or anything?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Oh nooo I hate ammo management. Will there maybe be guns that don't use it? Lasers or anything?

Yes, but we're aiming to keep it as simple as possible. There won't be any silliness like individual magazines or splitting bullets up or having to carry around stacks of ammo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rhopunzel posted:

Yes, but we're aiming to keep it as simple as possible. There won't be any silliness like individual magazines or splitting bullets up or having to carry around stacks of ammo.

Ah sweet okay, good. I know some folk love all that but I do not.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Ah sweet okay, good. I know some folk love all that but I do not.

I like it, but I recognise it's an outlier preference so I figure it's best to keep it simple for the vanilla game and let modders do their thing if they want to go crazy with managing ammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The new inventory system in the latest dev update is so much nicer to look at, the UI of equipment slots just makes my day.