Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RIP Booker and Castro, too Forgotten to even be Defeated.

Also Marianne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

100% something that she won't follow through on. It sounds good in the moment but will inevitably get walked back when possible like with M4A.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

There's a nonzero chance that Yang gets at least one delegate in Iowa and Tulsi polls pretty well in New Hampshire so she might get a delegate as well. A maximum of nine people could be at the February debates which is basically the most appropriate way this primary could wind down.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Never die, New York Times

New York Times posted:

The next month presents the last chance for serious scrutiny of Sanders, who is leading in both Iowa and New Hampshire. After that, Republicans will rip the bark off him. When they’re done, you will not recognize the aging, mouth-frothing, business-destroying commie from Ben and Jerry’s dystopian dairy.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I just got mad and pressed all the buttons until his face appeared.

New thread subtitle

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

PepsiOverCoke posted:

Lmao if you think that will stop people trying to push Bloomberg.

They could try, but he's not reaching viability in a caucus state let alone one he hasn't even advertised in.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Have any of the Iowa polls included a question about how likely people are to leave if their candidate is nonviable in the first round? I feel like that's a possibility that gets overlooked.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

oxsnard posted:

Well that's depressing (luckily it won't matter)

queeb posted:

Dang losing a 200k strong Union kinda sucks for bern

I looked up both Bernie's and Biden's union endorsements and when they happened and yeah it's been kind of back and forth, though given the number of endorsements and when they're happening there will probably end up being more for Bernie than Biden when this is over.

Bernie
UE – United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America, representing 35,900 August 29th, 2019
UURWAW – United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers and Allied Workers: Local 36 (CA) ? September 23th, 2019
IBT – International Brotherhood of Teamsters: Pennsylvania Federation Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employes Division (PA) ? September 23th, 2019
NUHW – National Union of Healthcare Workers, representing 15,000 (co-endorsement with Elizabeth Warren) September 26th, 2019
NNU – National Nurses United, representing 150,000 November 12th, 2019
UTLA – United Teachers Los Angeles, representing 35,000 (CA) November 14, 2019
BIDG – The Boston Independent Drivers Guild (MA) ? November 22th, 2019
IBEW – International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers: Local 1634 (IA) ? December 7th, 2019
SEIU – Service Employees International Union: Local 1984, representing 10,000 (NH) January 12th, 2020
CCEA – Clark County Educational Association, representing 19,000 (NV) January 14, 2020
CWA – Communications Workers of America: Local 9119 (CA), representing 17,000 January 21st, 2020
AFT - American Federation of Teachers: Vermont (VT), representing 5,000 January 24th, 2020
AFL-CIO - UNITE HERE: Local 11 (AZ, CA), representing 30,000 (co-endorsement with Elizabeth Warren) January 28th, 2020
UFCW – United Food and Commercial Workers International Union: Local 230 (IA) and Local 21 (WA), representing 46,000 July 3rd, 2019 and January 29th, 2020
APWU - American Postal Workers Union, representing 200,000 January 30th, 2020

Biden
International Association of Fire Fighters, representing 313,000 September 3rd, 2019
United Food And Commercial Workers Local 1776 Keystone State, representing 20,000 September 17th, 2019
National Association of Government Employees, representing over 100,000 December 9th, 2019
International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental, and Reinforcing Iron Workers, representing 130,000 January 2nd, 2020
Amalgamated Transit Union, representing 200,000 February 1st, 2020
Iowa Fire Fighters Union ?

There aren't many other endorsements though hilariously Kamala's endorsement came seventeen days before she suspended her campaign.

Warren
American Federation of Teachers (Massachusetts), representing 23,000 January 23rd, 2020
Boston Teachers Union Local 46, representing 10,000 January 13th, 2020
National Union of Healthcare Workers, representing 15,000 (co-endorsement with Bernie Sanders) September 26th, 2019

Kamala
United Farm Workers, representing 10,000 November 16th, 2019

The wildcard here are the progressive activist groups that have endorsed Bernie which if added up exceed the larger unions in number.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The New York Times released a new donor map

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Office Pig posted:

Bernie's Concubines? Not even Bernie Babes? Bernie Bro-ettes?

Bernettes

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

kidkissinger posted:

everyone, please give bernie your energy

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

we and we're surviving the whole thing is surviving like it is and the thing with iowa is when you're out there that's what you gotta do and when we did what we did that's just how it used to be used to be you could throw two snakes after one good one and that's why at the end of the day you have to keep with what works mack

That's The American Way *farts*

Vote for Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Can someone pretty please post that Klob Wins All image tia

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Are there any remaining satellite caucuses that are numerically significant? It would loving suck if the snowbirds outnumbered literally everyone else.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Reset Smith posted:

One lone Bennet caucusgoer at my precinct

Was that person Michael Bennet

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

bowser posted:

Good news, everyone. The app was fixed and we can now conclusively say the winner of the Iowa caucus was... Hillary Clinton?! My God what a twist!

This is great news for Michael Bennet!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The North Tower posted:

wanna gently caress that rat

Please don't gently caress Pete

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Trabisnikof posted:

Which attacks do you think they will use that will be effective?

Massive farts

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Glumslinger posted:

Jesus where the gently caress is Pete?

Literally in a hotel room watching the results

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Is this hilarious nightmare enough to somehow get Iowa stripped of its delegates like what happened to Florida and Michigan in 2008?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Deleted, what did it say

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Why the gently caress would you need an app for what should be a secure email and a spreadsheet and how do you gently caress it up so badly?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

they got grifted

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Grouchio posted:

Dem Pres Primary 2020: the day the rat really pivoted into being the year's zodiac animal

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ManBoyChef posted:

I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up. At least this is interesting if not infuriating. Buttigieg sucks and polling showed him in a pretty distant place. How did this happen?

An incredibly white electorate with a political system that made it possible for voters to move to him after Biden and Klob were declared nonviable. If this were a primary instead of a caucus Bernie would be in a comfortable first place and he'd be in third.

If it makes you feel better Bernie seems to have picked up basically all of the minority support there was to be had in Iowa. That bodes pretty well for Nevada and beyond.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 4, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Josef bugman posted:

So was turn out down?

I hope not, because that's worse for Bernie than just not getting first in the particular contest.

Turnout for old people was down and turnout for young people was up. Bernie also seems to have completely run the table with minorities in the state so I think this bodes pretty well for him going into the rest of the primary.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Nate Silver posted something like this last year, saying that Bernie's chances would be hurt because of him acting like he's entitled to the nomination.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Sorry, I don't quite follow this gimmick.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Calibanibal is way better at this

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What is the basis for the argument that Mayo Pete has no path beyond Iowa? New Hampshire and Nevada are extremely white.

Nevada is 66% white as of the last census and unless Pete's minority support overperforms to the tune of 98% against every poll that's been released so far a share of the white vote is all he's getting. There will almost certainly be a lot of volunteer support moved to Nevada from Bernie's operation in California as well, and Pete's lack of a ground game in the states surrounding Nevada means there won't be much coming in to fight back against that.

For Super Tuesday he has no ground game at all after South Carolina and would need to build up a countrywide operation in the span of one month to stand a chance at contesting any state with a moderate amount of minorities in it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

oxsnard posted:

old black voters in the south, yes. Young PoC and latinos are going Bernie

And asians and muslims if Iowa is anything to go by

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I'm gonna write in calibanimal in the general if mayor pete wins the primary

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kraftwerk posted:

I’ve been demoralized by Iowa. I thought we had it in the bag.
Not sure what to do now. It feels like NH is gonna go to Pete too. Need something positive to hang onto.

Bernie had a comfortable lead until realignment happened and maybe will still win even after that if the results ever come out. The conditions that lead to Pete maybe winning by realignment literally can't happen in a primary and with only one more caucus left it's fair to say that he has a much, much harder path to the nomination than if half of the contests were caucuses.

Pete also spent basically his entire campaign in Iowa and didn't pay anything near that level of attention to New Hampshire. After New Hampshire we start hitting states that have larger than 2% minority population and I'm not exaggerating when I say that he doesn't have a ground game after Iowa. He doesn't, dude has nothing nationwide and can't build the kind of organization needed to be competitive in a month.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

TyrantWD posted:

One thing I found strange about Iowa was that Pete is doing well in the rural areas. I'd figure his base would be the wealthier suburbanites, while Bernie cleans up in the rural working class areas. Pete taking a ton of money from the Upper West Side, and winning among rural Iowans is just weird.

Running up the delegate totals in the rural areas was his campaign's strategy going in. It's not a bad strategy for a caucus state if you thrown everything into it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Bushido Brown posted:

Goddamn that one broke my heart. Why, Mellencamp!?

He's wealthy

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Insanite posted:

Warren and Biden bleed people to the Butt. The Butt hits a wall in the South. Consider, then the possibility of a Bloomberg/Butt unity ticket.

He hits a wall in Nevada first considering its demographics. Maybe not as massively as South Carolina, but it's not favorable to him at all.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm still not convinced Pete can turn his campaign into an unbeatable force that sweeps the rest of the primaries. I've probably said it four times so far but he has an anemic ground game in South Carolina and no ground game at all in any of the Super Tuesday states. If he's going to compete in that category he only has one month to build up to a level of organization that Bernie and Warren needed an entire year and far more staff and volunteers to achieve. Advertising could be an equalizer but Bernie has outspent him on that every month so far and he'd need a massive windfall of big money to match him there while still expanding nationally.

He can ride high off a split victory in Iowa but that will only get him so far.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kraftwerk posted:

Pete's surge in New Hampshire is really making me nervous. Bernie won this state handily in 2016, how is he only 30% this time?

Do primary states award delegates proportional to the vote or is it winner take all?
I thought I could relax and see Bernie win NH and now it looks like it's going to be as close as Iowa because of the DNC actively attempting to tip the scales to Pete.

States award delegates proportionally but without the chance for voters to realign the results are gonna look like how they did with the first round of voting here where Bernie was in the lead by more than a few percentage points. Additionally, it being a primary will work far, far better for Bernie than in Iowa because his supporters can just walk in and vote having to spend several hours in one place. Without the restriction a caucus places on voters turnout is gonna much, much higher. Pete hasn't campaigned in New Hampshire nearly has much as he has in Iowa by a pretty significant margin so it would take a titanic shift over the course of a few days for him to get as close as it is here.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Multiple NH polls have shown him getting a significant bounce and he's basically shifting to take over Biden's lane.

There's been more than one poll since Monday?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

So, CNN/MSNBC/NYT et al are 100% going to shift from caring only about SDEs to saying it is a tie among pledged delegates, right?

Pretty much, yeah

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I don't know if this was posted earlier because the thread moves pretty fast but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but why does the DNC hate Bernie?

He's an existential threat in the short term to the grift machine they've set up and in the long term to the way that the country is structured economically. Also if Bernie gets the nomination he can fire a lot of people in the DNC and replace them with his people.