Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I can't believe 12 months has come down to four days. My nerves are loving shot.

Been playing some games the kids got for Christmas to relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

everyone, please give bernie your energy

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Grinnell is a blowout

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah, Biden wasn't even viable...

On CNN, the Biden and Yang supporters are trying to convince Buttigeig supporters to go undecided.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Chris Matthews is just ranting and raving right now about much Iowa sucks

To think that they pay him a seven figure salary to go on camera and say bullshit. I mean, I'm TV friendly. I'll work for a tenth of what they're paying him and I'll have a much more coherent analysis.

Not to toot my own horn

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

loving wonderful! We all remember what happy fun times we had at the Nevada Caucus the last time, right?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

mutata posted:

This stream is sweet because every 20 seconds it makes him sound like a robot. It makes it feel even more dystopian.

Robot overlords confirmed!

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Hopefully they'll release the results during the State of the Union.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Based on all of the previous polls I've seen, I almost don't want to believe this. I thought for sure that Biden would have enough inertia to roll into Super Tuesday and carry several states, but my god! I didn't expect Biden to eat so much poo poo in Iowa!

I don't want to sound like I'm arzying, but there has to be a realignment, right? I know Buttigeig has no appeal to minorities, and Amy has no appeal outside of Minnesota, and Warren hasn't recovered after tumbling prior to Iowa, but the outlook can't be THIS good, can it?!

I want to believe...

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Crumbskull posted:

Can someone post the text of this.

NY Times posted:

What Went Wrong for Joe Biden in Iowa

His placement behind his leading rivals in the caucuses on Monday dealt a damaging blow to his campaign. Some party officials say it was a long time in the works.

DES MOINES — Maybe it was the threat of bad weather. Maybe it was a seating assignment debacle. Maybe it was a struggling campaign organization that still hadn’t found its footing.

But as Joseph R. Biden Jr. spoke at a major Iowa Democratic Party dinner in November, one thing was clear: His support appeared tepid compared with the vocal cheering sections of top rivals. The reception angered Mr. Biden and his top aides — and it left little doubt about his standing, three months before the nominating process in the Democratic presidential race would begin: The former vice president was in deep trouble in Iowa.

Two days after the dinner, Mr. Biden ripped into his campaign chairman, Steve Ricchetti, according to a person familiar with the conversation. And at the Biden headquarters in Philadelphia, senior officials sternly told staff members they needed to step up their performance.

The dinner’s damaging optics marked the beginning of a flurry of changes: Trusted aides were deployed to Iowa sooner than anticipated. Mr. Biden rescheduled time with donors to make space for a bus tour in Iowa. Former Gov. Tom Vilsack of Iowa and his wife, Christie Vilsack, major players in Iowa Democratic politics, announced their Biden endorsements.

It was too late.

Mr. Biden’s performance in the Iowa caucuses on Monday dealt a damaging blow to the former vice president; with 86 percent of the results counted by Wednesday afternoon, he trailed Pete Buttigieg and Senators Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, with Senator Amy Klobuchar not far behind.

“I am not going to sugarcoat it,” Mr. Biden said Wednesday as he campaigned in New Hampshire. “We took a gut punch in Iowa.”

Certainly over the past year, Mr. Biden has proved far more resilient than many expected. He has led national polls for months despite verbal gaffes, scrutiny of his long and sometimes controversial record in Washington, and a relentless assault from Republicans over his son’s dealings in Ukraine. The slow drip of vote totals in Iowa — and a swirl of other major news events — may blunt the attention on Mr. Biden’s challenges. And Iowa is an overwhelmingly white state, while Mr. Biden’s biggest political strength is with black voters, whom he is counting on for support in later-voting, more diverse states.

But he now faces jittery donors, an uncertain landscape in upcoming Democratic contests and a sharp challenge to the central argument of his campaign message: that he is the party’s strongest candidate to win a general election.

Interviews with more than a dozen advisers, allies and Iowa strategists show that Mr. Biden was late in focusing on Iowa, put together an organization there that fell well short of his top rivals’ and that his core pitch about electability and experience wasn’t enough to persuade voters who wanted a fresh face or more boldly progressive ideas.

Mr. Biden was also a less-than-inspiring presence on the trail, according to some voters, struggling at times in the homestretch to deliver crisp, energetic, on-message performances.

A late start proves costly

When Mr. Biden announced his candidacy on April 25, some of his chief rivals had already been running for months.

His late start had long-lasting consequences, according to some of his supporters.

“He could have been here sooner and more aggressively,” said Mr. Vilsack, who became Mr. Biden’s top surrogate in the state. “Because this is all about relationships.”

“It was frustrating that they weren’t seeming to reach more people,” added Susan Judkins, a member of the Clive City Council. “Some of the other campaigns had been getting momentum. They had hired staffers who are known to Iowans, who had an ability to influence.”

When he did get to the state over the summer and into the fall, Mr. Biden’s team produced carefully managed events. He traveled with a phalanx of staff, sometimes used teleprompters and typically spoke from behind rope lines. None of that prevented a spree of verbal stumbles in Iowa in August — but according to some of his allies, it did keep Mr. Biden from showing off his biggest strength: his retail politicking skills.

“I’ve had that conversation at least since the end of May, beginning part of the summer, that Joe would do better and has always done better meeting with people,” said State Representative Bruce Hunter, a staunch Biden ally who said he made that case to Mr. Biden’s state campaign leadership. “He needed to get out more, talk to smaller groups of people, listen to them, give his vision one-on-one to people.”

Yet no amount of glad-handing could remedy an organization that even his supporters here found frustrating.

“His campaign is not a good campaign,” Roxanna Moritz, the Scott County auditor and a Biden supporter, said late last month. “They’re not embedding loyalty to the organization, he doesn’t do groundwork.”

She said that the campaign was “not returning phone calls, no follow through.”

“It’s kind of sad because I really do think he is the right person,” she added.

By the fall, Mr. Biden’s advisers felt that their campaign organization in Iowa had steadied — but events in Washington took him down a detour that no one could have foreseen, or prevented.

On Sept. 21, more than 1,000 Biden supporters assembled at the Polk County Steak Fry, featuring the kind of chummy interaction in which Mr. Biden is at his best.

But their efforts were overshadowed by news that President Trump had asked Ukraine to investigate Mr. Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, a story that would consume the campaign for months. That night, a Des Moines Register poll revealed that Mr. Biden had slipped from first place in Iowa, overtaken by Ms. Warren of Massachusetts.

Mr. Biden spent the next weeks grappling with the best way to respond to the Ukraine controversy. And party officials continued to describe his Iowa organization as scattershot, an issue thrown into sharp relief at the party dinner in November, the Liberty and Justice Celebration.

Mr. Biden’s team said that it had around 1,200 people in the arena, many of whom went on to become precinct captains and dedicated volunteers. But the empty seats and the smaller and less boisterous Biden sections spread throughout the arena cut a sharp contrast with the loud, unified crowds of Ms. Warren and Mr. Buttigieg, the former mayor of South Bend, Ind., in a major test of organizational strength.

More damaging than the evident differences in crowd strength was what many Iowa Democrats were seeing for the first time in person: a once-fiery candidate who was looking his age compared with a number of his younger rivals.

A key endorsement, and some advice

Mr. Biden’s campaign could do little to alter the presentation of a candidate who was given to meandering into verbal cul-de-sacs even in his prime.

But they concluded that they needed to better display Mr. Biden’s strong interpersonal skills, and to connect with more moderate voters who live in rural areas.

Mr. Vilsack, the former governor, had long advocated that approach, joining with his wife to advise their old friend to spend time in small towns during a private conversation last spring.

After spending months meeting with candidates, the Vilsacks — who supported Mr. Biden in his first presidential campaign, in 1987 — informed Mr. Biden in a phone call that they would endorse him, impressed with his rural policy proposal, his empathy and his “capacity to take a punch.”

Behind the scenes, they offered the campaign leadership two major pieces of advice.

“One, you need to be out there in all parts of the state,” Mr. Vilsack said. “And two, you need to spend time with voters in a way that they will get to know you.”

After Thanksgiving, the Vilsacks joined Mr. Biden and his wife, Jill, on a bus trip, called the “No Malarkey” tour, across rural parts of the state where the Biden campaign saw chances to accrue delegates.

The trip revealed strategic openings for the campaign, officials said. They spotted an opportunity with Latino voters in Storm Lake and were reminded to accentuate Mr. Biden’s advantage with Catholics in Dubuque.

The problem: Those lessons were arriving with just weeks to capitalize on them. Other candidates had already spent many months trying to win over the state’s Democratic caucusgoers.

“Had he done the ‘No Malarkey’ tour in the summertime, you may never have seen that Elizabeth Warren bounce,” said Representative Ami Bera, Democrat of California, who supports Mr. Biden.

Jesse Harris, a senior Biden Iowa adviser, said the timing was designed to coincide with when caucusgoers intensified their focus on the race. “The vice president did spend quite a bit of time in the state,” he said. “Obviously, he got into the race a bit later than the other candidates, so two or three months behind when he first visited the state compared to others. But we were actively here in Iowa.”

“The bus tour,” he added, “was a very visible extension of what we were already doing.”

Disappointing some supporters

As 2020 arrived, there were some encouraging developments, building on what the campaign saw as post-bus tour momentum.

On Jan. 2, Representative Abby Finkenauer, a Democrat who in 2018 had flipped an eastern Iowa district, endorsed Mr. Biden, signaling that candidates in the toughest races believed Mr. Biden was their safest bet at the top of the ticket. Representative Cindy Axne, a Democrat from another competitive Iowa district, later followed suit.

And tensions with Iran propelled national security matters into the spotlight, playing into Mr. Biden’s message of experience.

Yet even as he continued to land high-profile endorsements, Mr. Sanders of Vermont was on the rise, expanding his progressive support and seeking to cut into Mr. Biden’s base of blue-collar workers by attacking his record on Social Security, pointing out that he had occasionally entertained freezes to the program. The specter of a possible conflict with Iran allowed Mr. Sanders to continually remind voters that Mr. Biden had approved the use of force in Iraq.

A New York Times/Siena College poll released late last month found that even in eastern Iowa — home to many white working-class voters with whom Mr. Biden expected to be strong — he was struggling.

Ahead of the 2016 campaign, David Plouffe, Barack Obama’s former campaign manager, had warned Mr. Biden, according to an article in The Atlantic, “Do you really want it to end in a hotel room in Des Moines, coming in third to Bernie Sanders?”

In the final weeks before the 2020 Iowa caucuses, Mr. Plouffe’s warning was starting to sound prescient.

Recognizing the need to win new supporters, Mr. Biden’s Iowa director, Jake Braun, floated a deal over dinner in Des Moines with an adviser to Ms. Klobuchar of Minnesota. The two moderate Democrats should form an alliance, Mr. Braun suggested a week before the vote, and urge their supporters to back the other if one of them did not advance to the final round in a precinct.

Ms. Klobuchar’s camp quickly shot down the prospect when the story leaked, and Mr. Braun, who had already been marginalized by Mr. Biden’s national campaign, found himself isolated by his enraged superiors, who had warned him not to freelance, according to a person familiar with internal discussions.

Sue Dvorsky, a former Iowa Democratic chair, had backed Senator Kamala Harris of California. After Ms. Harris dropped out, Ms. Dvorsky said she was inclined to support Mr. Biden, whom she and her husband had met when he ran for president in 1987.

But Ms. Dvorsky was appalled at the state of Mr. Biden’s organization, which was lacking precinct captains even in her own heavily Democratic community. Last week she endorsed Ms. Warren.

“This has been a sloppy effort that was always aimed at a general election,” she said of Mr. Biden’s organization, deeming it worse than his first two Iowa campaigns. “Right now, they’re bringing in hundreds of people from out of state — not to be canvassers but to be precinct captains.”

Even some of Mr. Biden’s high-profile supporters were perplexed by the campaign’s choices, which included dispatching a number of his former Senate colleagues, all of them white men over 70, to stump for him in the Iowa campaign’s final days.

On the Saturday before the caucuses, Ms. Judkins had an uneasy feeling about the decision her state was about to make. She had spent the day knocking on doors with a host of prominent Biden supporters from across the country. She came away impressed by what her colleagues had told her — that Mr. Biden had more support and organizational strength in later-voting states. She wished they had come to Iowa sooner.

“I said to my husband, ‘I feel like all of these people from around the country are coming in to try to save us from ourselves,’” she said when they went out that evening. “Here we are, going out dancing. Kind of like the Titanic, the ship going down.”

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/SleepyDjango/status/1225285350207057920?s=20

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's a trend. I can feel it. Buttigeig is "Biden 2.0". Newer, younger, more energy, but just as "safe" as Biden. What are the odds on older, conservative AA voters willing to give him a chance? If turnout doesn't improve from Iowa, we'll lose the "Sanders increases turnout" argument.

I'm so mad and demoralized at the same time. I feel stupid for feeling happy after those 538 polls. Worst part is that I'm an optimistic guy. I don't sour easily. I'm going to bed.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Came home and the wife had CNN on. They were running this story. Bringing back the "Bernie Bros!" Needless to say, I'm livid.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/politics/bernie-sanders-social-media-attacks-invs/index.html

CNN posted:

(CNN) When the progressive Working Families Party announced its endorsement of Sen. Elizabeth Warren for president in September, anger reverberated across the SandersForPresident Reddit page for days.

One of the Reddit group's then-300,000 members encouraged fellow supporters of Sen. Bernie Sanders to "spy" on the Working Families Party's activities and "organize counter events."

On Twitter, Sanders supporters lobbed hundreds of critical messages at the Working Families Party or its leadership, which included personal attacks that called them "corrupt," "shameless" and "bloodless scumbag hacks." One pro-Sanders account tweeted that "slave masters" had coerced the support of the party's national director, who is African American.

Three days after the endorsement, a WFP spokeswoman tweeted a screenshot of one message that wished she and her colleagues would "all get cancer you are f**king trash." She also said they received private messages saying "eat sh*t and die" and "drop dead dumb c*nts."

As Sanders surges as a top contender in the 2020 presidential race, such online harassment has become a source of derision among the Vermont senator's critics who say his campaign's success on social media is undermined by trends of bullying within subsets of his followers.

It's clear that social media is notoriously a hotbed of controversial comments. Across the political spectrum, posts ranging from witty snark to harassment and abuse can be found by any candidate's supporters. Speaking to this reality, some digital media experts say the level of hostility in pockets of Sanders' online following outweighs that within the social media circles of his Democratic rivals.

Days after Sanders announced his bid last February, he condemned bullying in an email to his campaign representatives and encouraged them to "engage respectfully."

But since that time, throngs of his Internet supporters have shunned that approach and continued to use ad hominem tactics to advocate for their preferred candidate.

More than a dozen social media users spoke to CNN about their experiences with bullying by Sanders supporters.

They described threats against family members, the creation of imposter accounts that resembled their own and what some described as being "swarmed," where barrages of vitriol filled their Twitter feeds and inboxes for days after they posted something critical of Sanders.

"I had never experienced that level of aggression before," said Patty Kasbek, a veterinary technician in Oklahoma who said she criticizes President Donald Trump on Twitter more than any other political figure but said she faced the most hostility after she accused Sanders of being misogynistic. She said she received messages such as "STFU" and "eat this" poop emoji, among other insults.

Two other targets said they were so tormented by the online attacks they faced following their public questioning or criticism of Sanders that they requested those specific circumstances not be reported for fear such harassment could start up again. Both said Sanders supporters exposed their addresses, shared their personal photos and spread information about their relatives and work colleagues.

At times, Sanders has personally intervened.

For example, when health care activist Ady Barkan, who has A.L.S., endorsed Warren in November, he was deluged with negativity from members of the Sanders crowd, some of whom accused him of selling out or being so affected by his disease that someone else must have made the endorsement decision for him. Sanders tweeted support for Barkan amidst the outrage.

In the case of the Working Families Party's Warren endorsement, the organization's staffers openly complained that they had been threatened. More than 100 African American leaders then signed a letter that said the party's leadership had been attacked by self-identified Sanders supporters with words including "Uncle Tom" and "slave."

While the backlash also included sincere questions about the Working Families Party's policy positions and demands to see the vote tallies behind the endorsement, the scale of the harassment led Sanders to tweet, "This campaign condemns racist bullying and harassment of any kind, in any space."

In a statement to CNN, the Sanders campaign's deputy communications director, Sarah Ford, said, "The senator has said loudly and clearly, there is no room in the political revolution for abuse and harassment online."

Sanders' leads the field in social media engagement

Ben Decker, who runs the digital investigations consultancy Memetica, says he has observed higher levels of online harassment among Sanders' followers relative to those of his Democratic rivals.

Decker says those levels can in part be attributed to the fact that Sanders communities that formed on Facebook, Reddit and Twitter during the Vermont senator's 2016 presidential race have grown in number and activity.

Sanders now leads the Democratic field in raw measures of engagement on social media with more than 10 million followers on Twitter and 5 million likes on his campaign's official Facebook page.

Among unofficial Facebook pages created by supporters of Democratic candidates, Sanders also leads with 2.5 million followers and roughly 58,000 posts between November and January, more than that of all other Democratic candidates combined, according to data Decker pulled from CrowdTangle, an analytics company owned by Facebook.

"Anytime you have far greater numbers, you have far greater potential for harm," said Decker, who noted he has observed "us-versus-them" narratives within some Sanders groups that he believes amplify hostility. "Anyone who fits into that range of targets is anyone who really questions the ideals of the Bernie support community."

Multiple staffers of rival Democratic campaigns -- none of whom were authorized by their campaigns to speak on the record -- argue that trends of bullying within Sanders' online base spring not only from the scale of his social media following but also the tone of his campaign.

There's a 'combative' perception of the campaign

While Sanders rejects bullying, they say, he has readily embraced a combative image on policy issues.

When Sen. Mitt Romney asked why he's angry on Twitter last summer, Sanders replied, "I'm angry because multi-millionaires like you and Trump have rigged our economy at the middle class' expense. ... I'm angry because 34 million Americans are uninsured. Why doesn't that anger you?"

And Sanders' campaign has at times skirted the line between policy disagreements and personal attacks aimed at his rivals.

In January, Sanders' speechwriter David Sirota highlighted a column in his Bern Notice newsletter that argued presidential candidate Joe Biden has a "big corruption problem."

Sanders then apologized to Biden and told CBS News, "It is absolutely not my view that Joe is corrupt in any way. And I'm sorry that that op-ed appeared."

Sirota, who deleted the majority of his past tweets, has readily engaged in Twitter spats. He once called his critics "mentally incapacitated" and tweeted "Welcome to the oligarchy" in response to former presidential candidate Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand's outreach to big-money donors, according to The Washington Post. Sirota's Twitter feed now begins in January of this year.

Sirota did not respond to CNN's request for comment. In January, he reacted to the notion of a link between his rhetoric and harassment among Sanders supporters by tweeting, "I am not that interesting and do not deserve such attention. Really. I'm a pretty boring person just doing the work."

Michael Trice, a lecturer on communications at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said the attitude of a campaign influences the attitude of the digital community surrounding that campaign.

Even if the Sanders campaign has at times admonished bullying, Trice said he thinks its staffers could do more to actively police such behavior. Trice noted that he has also been harassed and had his job threatened by Sanders supporters as he has researched the issue.

"It's scary. It's frightening," Trice said. "If you're not condemning it consistently, and if your proxies within your campaign are not working against it and trying to do something different, then that's a real issue."

Laura Moser, a Sanders supporter who ran as a Democratic congressional candidate in a Texas primary in 2018, said bullying in the Democratic Party is hardly unique to a single campaign.

She said numerous social media accounts that blamed Sanders for Clinton's 2016 loss harassed her during her campaign, "because they perceived that I was running against the establishment."

Peter Daou, a political consultant who previously advised Hillary Clinton but who now supports Sanders, said the notion that the tone of the Sanders campaign has encouraged such behavior is unfair and misguided.

"You're taking one group of obnoxious people online and you're tarnishing an entire campaign," said Daou, who said he has also faced personal attacks for his pro-Sanders opinions.

He said the focus on Internet bullying in Sanders' camp has also perpetuated a false stereotype that the majority of Sanders' base is made up of young, white, tech-savvy men -- as described in other articles as "Bernie Bros" -- which he said disregards the diversity of the Sanders coalition.

2020 candidates' strong internet presence

Darren Linvill, an associate professor at Clemson University who studies social media and disinformation, said that although Sanders has the largest social media following among Democratic candidates, he hasn't led by every metric.

Five of Andrew Yang's most popular hashtags were used in 3.4 million tweets between November and January, as compared to about 2 million tweets with five of Sanders' most popular hashtags during that period, according to Linvill's analysis.

Although Sanders' Twitter account was mentioned 12.5 million times compared to 5.6 mentions of Yang's account, Linvill said people almost always use hashtags to voice support, whereas the total mentions of a Twitter account demonstrate overall interest.

"Yang has clearly been the most successful at getting his supporters to hashtag him on Twitter," Linvill said. "Love him or hate, however, everyone wants to talk about Bernie."

Linvill said that while some inauthentic accounts he believes to be Russian have supported Sanders on social media, as an indictment from former special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation said occurred during the 2016 campaign, his analysis suggests the vast majority of pro-Sanders online activity is genuine.

Ben LaBolt, a Democratic strategist and former press secretary for former President Barack Obama's 2012 campaign, said every campaign wants a large base of social media support, but if the tone of that support becomes divisive and turns some potential voters away, then that could become a liability.

"It's a double-edged sword," LaBolt said. "The grassroots organization tremendously helped Sanders get to where he is today, but parts of it could hinder where he needs to go."

CNN's Audrey Ash contributed to this report.

That's from the CNN piece I linked. It has the whole video.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

cream of Pete

Holy poo poo! Thank you for this!

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Dietrich posted:

I'm having trouble understanding why people think the DNC would purposefully lose the 2020 election, ensuring they are disenfranchised for a generation when Trump gets to place another justice or two and the state capitals all stay in GOP hands on a redistricting year, just to prove they were right that bernie couldn't beat trump in 2016.

This is next level tin foil hat bullshit.

It's not so much that they're trying to purposefully lose, they're trying to preserve their seat at the table. If Biden, Buttigeig, Warren, or Klobuchar win, the DNC get to maintain their power and fancy connections. If Trump wins, the DNC still get to maintain their power and fancy connections. It's all about keeping your first class seats, even if you're aboard the Titanic and it's sinking.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

Alright everyone let's get that energy flowing

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ BERNIE TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

BillyC posted:

https://youtu.be/GmBHwjoIFNM

Some More News did a segment on the medias very normal relationship with Bernie. Might be a good video to help persuade some fence sitters.

Watching this now. It's great! Cody's a pro-Twitter follow, too.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

The only reason that fucker stopped was because the courts made him.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Guys if Bernie wins by 5+ points tonight, I’m gonna start feeling like this poo poo is gonna happen. Couple that with a big final interview I have tomorrow after being out of work since Thanksgiving and I’m starting to feel like the future might be bright for me and my wife and my two year old son.

It’s hard to not nearly break down in tears when you realize that we might win this thing and actually win this country back for people like me and also people that have it a lot worse than me.

Thanks to everyone here who is fighting for Bernie and therefore also fighting for me. I’m fighting for you guys too. Let’s do this.

Hey, you're gonna crush that interview. I'm sending you some energy.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am a broken enough man to stomach pete or biden but gently caress bloomberg. personally i think the Ratking that the Moderates have formed will destroy them.

I live in NC. Purple state. Significant number of EVs. I've been "voting blue, no matter who" for a while and I'm pretty used to it. I mean look at all the Republican chucklefucks representing my state right now. Bloomberg is the only candidate to give me pause. If he made it to the general, it'd be a choice of Trump or "personification of how Trump got into office". That would be a hard ballot to mark.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Also in NC - I'd vote for Bloomberg because I will never, ever hate a man as much as I hate Trump, but I don't think I could encourage anyone else to do so.

For me, the absolute goulishness of the state Republicans would take some of the sting away from voting Bloomberg. Every GOP organization from federal to local is just ugly and rotten to the core and getting worse year after year.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I don't think an 88 level blowout is really possible anymore, everyone's too sorted now. But yeah it would be bad

https://twitter.com/organizetheppl/status/1228091449855631361?s=20

"Government's too big! Too many bureaucrats! They need to trim the fat!"

Saying that takes me back to my stupid conservative years as a college undergrad. Never forget a classic trope.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Gregory Meeks is on CNN with Chris Cuomo as a Bloomberg surrogate. Holy poo poo! It's the most empty rhetoric bullshit I've ever heard. I don't even think he believes it as he's saying it.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

This is because of Bloomberg, right?

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1228082826383413248?s=20

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

We've got a bit of the phenomenon in North Carolina, too. Republicans seized control of the Wake County school boards a few years back because of how many have moved down here.

I think they got kicked out.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Just ask Biden. Name recognition does not motivate people to the voting booths and name recognition is the only thing Bloomberg is getting from those ads.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The Sanders campaign is currently sending out emails encouraging supporters to split their donations to him between 12 other progressive candidates across the country. I highly encourage you all to do this as money goes a lot farther in down ballot races, and this is how we build the movement to unseat the establishment DNC. If you have not received the email and are interested in this, then I can try and dig up the link that takes you to the split-contribution page.

If anybody can, donate to the candidate from my district. It’s a new district. She supports M4A/GND and her primary opponent does not.

Monika Johnson-Hostler, NC02

https://twitter.com/monika4congress/status/1228363034718035970?s=21

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Me and the wife exchanged Valentine’s Day gifts. We gave each other a vote for Bernie Sanders!

Mark that as +2 for NC!

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Ok, the shilling for Michael Bloomberg on CNN is really getting overbearing. They had Gregory Meeks on yesterday. Tonight, they had Sam Donaldson on talking about how Bloomberg has apologized for his "stop and frisk" policies. It's getting way WAY too obvious.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bloomberg’s polling is likely very soft support.

Throughout 2019, I kept trying to tell people the same thing about Biden. They'd say "Look at his polls! Look at his support from black voters!" I'd say that it's simply name recognition. It's the pollster asking "Who do you plan to vote for in the primary" and the answer is "Biden, I guess..."

Name recognition doesn't motivate asses to the booths. Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada are proof of that. Super Tuesday will prove that for Bloomberg.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

As for closing this barn door, I think the horses are in another state by now.

https://twitter.com/schwartzbCNBC/status/1232791023325188097?s=20

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It means he has good taste, but still seems accessible.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

MSNBC and Chris Matthews already setting up the narrative if the convention steals this thing from Bernie “It’s the rules and if people give up on the political process because we invalidate their votes they’re big babies who need to grow up! Also we must respect everyone’s vote which is why we have the convention :downs:

Anderson Cooper asked Clyburn about a brokered convention and his reasoning was, and I'm paraphrasing, "I don't consider it a brokered convention. Since I'm an unpledged delegate, I get a chance to vote in the second round! In the first round, I don't. So I get to have my voice heard!"

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/JustSchmeltzer/status/1234630485722054656?s=20

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Oh poo poo!

https://twitter.com/JustSchmeltzer/status/1234633381087891457?s=20

Here's what he says about half way through.

Chris Matthews posted:

"Better standards that we grew up with. Fair standards. A lot of it has to do with how we talk to each other. Compliments on a woman's appearance that some men, including me, might have once incorrectly thought were ok, were never ok."

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1234191423622111233?s=20

What are the odds that he's about to be #MeToo'ed?

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 3, 2020

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

volts5000 posted:

Oh poo poo!

https://twitter.com/JustSchmeltzer/status/1234633381087891457?s=20

Here's what he says about half way through.

Chris Matthews posted:

"Better standards that we grew up with. Fair standards. A lot of it has to do with how we talk to each other. Compliments on a woman's appearance that some men, including me, might have once incorrectly thought were ok, were never ok."

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1234191423622111233?s=20

What are the odds that he's about to be #MeToo'ed?

kidkissinger posted:

MSNBC Host Chris Matthews Resigns After Accusations of Sexism and Harassment

https://www.thedailybeast.com/chris...01oJ77QTdJPfo-A

Called it!

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

awesmoe posted:

the allegations were from like a week ago so it's not the most impressive soothsaying I've ever seen

That's my superpower, predicting old news. Some say it's not that impressive, but can YOU say you have a superpower?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Cal's against Medicare for All and is in favor of ACA expansion. That's why I voted for his opponent who was for it.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Well Tara Reade's cancelled now. She wrote pro-Putin articles a few years ago, so that means this whole thing is an op straight from the Kremlin.

https://twitter.com/jvgraz/status/1242937790754459649?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah tbh i think sanders was hosed when the dynamics of everyone else dropping before ST to boost biden became evident. he could've dealt with being one on one vs biden for a while, especially with a few debates, but going from a crowded field (which sanders was winning) to what amounts to 1v1 against someone with a leg up was probably not winnable. only shot would've been if warren dropped and endorsed sanders, which lol

The pre-ST rally where they all came together basically made most of the last-minute fence-sitting voters go "Well, I guess I'll vote Biden."

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 30, 2020