Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It's nice to know that Pete supporters are no more self-aware now than they've ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1223327658248998912

What's doubly funny about this is, he's basically plagiarizing Warren G. Harding here.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

I get everyone hates Bloomberg, but it is actually weird that he's been excluded so far.

He's sitting out the first four state races, and seems more interested in playing the spoiler for Bernie than in actually beating Trump. Also he was a Republican until pretty much last week. The fact that people haven't been taking him seriously has been the sane position to take.

That said, I like that he'll be on the stage to be a billionaire punching bag for Sanders.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

When a gay canidate is so terrible that he is losing the gay vote.

That's part of what's been so great about this primary so far. So many of the candidates running almost entirely on idpol signifiers have crashed and burned pathetically. Harris and Booker, IIRC, only ended up with single-digit support among black voters, while women, LGBTQ+ folks, and POCs have flocked to Bernie. Shockingly, POCs, LGBTQ+ people, and women all want M4A, a Green New Deal, and student loan forgiveness more than they want a minority candidate who won't give them the things they need to survive.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

A sign of progress really. I think I would have likely been much more pro-Buttigieg a decade ago. This is why opposition to racism, LGBTphobias, sexism, etc. are essential for working-class movements because opposing those things builds unity within the class. If I'm gay and we smash the phobia, I don't feel like I need to support Mayor Pete.

Plus I'm sure the campaign doing a good job of tying in LGBTQ+ issues directly to M4A, etc, didn't hurt. That's something they can continue to improve upon, of course, but my goodness, they're doing a much better job of it now than they did four years ago.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Project Ratfuck may already be underway.

DES MOINES, Iowa — A small group of Democratic National Committee members has privately begun gauging support for a plan to potentially weaken Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign and head off a brokered convention.

In conversations on the sidelines of a DNC executive committee meeting and in telephone calls and texts in recent days, about a half-dozen members have discussed the possibility of a policy reversal to ensure that so-called superdelegates can vote on the first ballot at the party’s national convention. Such a move would increase the influence of DNC members, members of Congress and other top party officials, who now must wait until the second ballot to have their say if the convention is contested.

https://t.co/7Ppot08hlM?amp=1

Seems to me like the DNC is asking, nay, begging, to have their offices swamped by furious Bernie supporters.:getin:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

except this time they'll hand out croissants to the protestors, leading to a wave of Croissant Twitter.

The things that establishment Dem bootlickers find funny...it's kind of bewildering.

(Sam Bee is another one of those things!)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

25% of her supporters voted for McCain over Obama.

25%.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I’m so glad Woke Twitter is continuing to show us how deep their commitment to social justice is.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, "Feel the Bern."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

honestly if the Biden results are what I think they'll be (below 15%) i forsee Pete getting some momentum in NH, which is even more white than Iowa

Yeah but it's also a primary, so there's less chance of Pete ending up with as much support in the end as he's gotten tonight.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Turnout being the same as 2016 isn’t great for Bernie

Yeah it is, it's fewer old people and more young people this time around.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, I just listened to this episode and it's very worth a listen.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Mr Trump's campaign gloated over the debacle.

Trump 2020 manager Brad Parscale said in a statement: "Democrats are stewing in a caucus mess of their own creation with the sloppiest train wreck in history.

"It would be natural for people to doubt the fairness of the process," he added.

But Republicans have had their own problems in Iowa previously. In 2012, Mitt Romney was declared the winner of the caucuses only for the party to say two weeks later that Rick Santorum had actually won.

The president's eldest son, Donald Trump Jr, tweeted that the Democratic results chaos was all a "fix".

However, there was no indication that it had been caused by anything other than human or technical error.

The DNC's new slogan: "No more of a colossal fuckup than Trump!"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

Why do you think CIA spook Pete's plan was to win the presidency, as opposed to sabotaging other candidates to ensure the establishment takes the win?

Because he's an egomaniacal sociopath who has been talking about how he's going to be president from birth.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pick posted:

Yeah but Bernie doesn't want just young people and can't win with just young people, he wants enthusiastic people from all demos.

He'll get them, particularly when he keeps showing he can win early primary and caucus states and other candidates start dropping out. At this point, a lot of older folks who would be behind him are just too beaten-down to even hope he could win. So it's up to us to show them he can win, and when we do, they'll turn out.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bernie's numbers on post-realignment aren't too encouraging. it seems like basically a wash, which doesn't seem great for super tuesday and beyond when candidates start dropping out

You're doing your usual concern trolling shtick, I see, but I'll answer this earnestly: Bernie's numbers look fine. Even if Pete actually squeaked out a win (he won't), he put all his chips on Iowa and has very little chance to win states going forward. Particularly diverse ones, because POC voters quite justifiably hate his guts.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Office Pig posted:

Mush Lungbaugh

I missed this earlier, but I genuinely threw my head back and laughed at it. Well done.

Nail Rat posted:

I still think Biden is the biggest threat, despite his piss poor showing. That is to say I feel cautiously optimistic about Bernie's chances.

Pete can't win since he can't pull minorities. Biden is making GBS threads all over himself constantly but still has the lead in many Super Tuesday states. Warren is cratering. Kobuchar is pretty inconsequential.

NH is gonna hurt Biden baaaaaaaaad.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Imagine you're just starting to tune into the nomination because the primaries and caucuses are beginning. The news story you'll hear about is the results delay and Pete claiming victory anyways. You will not hear pundits talking about the momentum of the Sanders campaign, his victory, or how he outperformed polling (again). It's all about what's in the news cycle rather than the actual delegates awarded by the process.

The mainstream media effectively shut Bernie out over the last couple years, except for a few segments of mostly-negative coverage. It hasn't stopped him. The media narrative of last night isn't going to stop him either. The old media is dead.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

who the poo poo is bennet

Appalling conservadem former senator of Colorado.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PepsiOverCoke posted:

I'm saying as a candidate, he has the potential to pick up those voters that are currently supporting Biden if the shine wears off Biden.

Something like half of all black Democratic voters have indicated that they would never vote for Buttigieg, IIRC. So no, they're not going over to him.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm pretty sure Iowa shitshow narrative is set which sucks for Bernie. He won but it'll be off the headlines.

Eh, it was never going to be in the headlines anyway. The mainstream media's MO has been to either poo poo on Bernie, or else ignore him at all costs. What matters is that Biden's electability myth has been punctured.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/hunter_penn_h/status/1224738253351346176

They REALLY are going out of their way to say gently caress You to bernie voters huh? Even if it's not rigged they are giving the theories ammo!

Pretty sure that's a joke. (I hope)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

(and it sounds like bernie did not fare as well in rural areas as he did last time, but we don't know for sure yet)

Cite your claims please.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

just based on going through a loving zillion caucus results last night reported out on twitter and elsewhere. it seems that way but can't really tell for sure until ia puts out results

So you're talking out of your rear end.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brooks is so good. If anyone hasn't heard his show yet, they should. Really insightful, particularly on international topics.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Office Pig posted:

Henry Louis Gates Jr endorsed Mike Bloomberg

Christ, did that really happen?:ughh:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I got got!

After last night's shitfuckery, you can be forgiven for believing it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PepsiOverCoke posted:

What im reading tracks pretty well with what they are saying

Okay, so do you have numbers to back up what you and CC are saying, or...?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Phew, okay, "not an endorsement." Still, ugh, what a load of peasant mentality horseshit. Shame on Gates.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

Skip has been a sellout for quite some time now, so it tracks perfectly.

A lot of older Black intellectuals and/or community leaders are absolutely showing their asses in this election, along with most of the establishment political class. When push comes to shove, they really don't want their taxes to go up.

B-b-but he was part of President Redford's administration on "Watchmen"!:qq:

(Redford's administration would have been horrible)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Can you link them or is this from a secret group or something?

Yeah, this is getting very "Aurora Borealis"-y.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Office Pig posted:

I don't know, Bernie numbers or no Bernie numbers it doesn't really seem like anyone's going to come out of this with a whole lot of cheer if they're really going to play around with this mickey mouse poo poo.

He's going to be able to say "I won Iowa, and the supposedly electable centrist candidates lost" as part of his stump speech. He'll also be able to say that during future debates. That's gonna be pretty cool.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

She's been whining about it not being a primary but wouldn't a primary have no doubt given Sanders the most delegates?

It would have, yes, given his plurality in the first round.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Office Pig posted:

Ideally but I don't think anyone would sit down and accept that as legitimate from half results, and frankly I don't think we'd be waiting until 5pm the day after where the results somehow haven't been thoroughly accumulated if it were any other candidate.

Well yeah, but results are going to come out at some point, probably before NH, and they're probably going to show Bernie in the lead.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Glad Bernie's team took their own numbers.:stare:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
:laffo: HuffPo has a good headline for once: "Pete Buttigieg: When I Said ‘Victorious,’ I Actually Meant Something Else."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Am I the only one who feels like a lot of the anxiety and freak out regarding this primary is overblown? Everyone is worried about what could be without actual results

No, people shouldn't be freaking out. Bernie almost certainly won, Biden lost by a LOT, and Pete can crow about exceeding expectations, but he has no path to the nomination.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taerkar posted:

If Bloomberg somehow got the nom I would go outside, open my arms, and welcome the warm embrace of SS-18 Satan.

I've seen one of those in person. That really is a classy way to go out.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

Honestly Bloomberg's spoiler destroying the electoral college might be worth 4 more years of Trump, I don't know. Hopefully people would rebel to get the remaining few needed states into the interstate compact. This election already destroyed the caucus nonsense at least.

Bloomberg's tiny following only exists because they idiotically think that only a billionaire can beat another billionaire (Trump). He wouldn't be able to buy enough votes to play the spoiler, even with all his money.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

perot was a much stronger candidate than bloomberg is, but i'm pretty sure you can transform dollars into votes more effectively and more efficiently today than you could in the nineties

Bush Sr. wasn't as roundly hated as Trump is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This might be the best one you've made yet, and I've liked them all.