Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Warren apparently forgot that you at least have to try hiding the pandering a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

It's a bad idea, but I think it's a bit dodgy to call it pandering. It's a bad idea because you're using one person of a certain identity to represent a whole identity, and as anyone running for President really ought to know, political rhetoric aside, you can't represent 100% of a group 100% of the time.

Like if her young transgender advisor is Blaire White, then what's the loving point.

It's pandering because it's a nice-sounding promise that in effect would be completely and utterly meaningless. Because as you note it rests on the assumption that one person can speak for a whole minority, and in addition to that who do you think will decide who exactly said young transgender person will be? Why, Elizabeth Warren and her team of course. In other words there is absolutely no chance that someone who would say no to Warren's preferred cabinet pick would be chosen.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Horse and his ilk are going to keep shouting their absurd articles of faith until the day they die. Best to just laugh at them and move on.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

now if only we could get 70% of millenials to vote

Maybe actually offering them something besides either a poo poo sandwich or a poo poo sandwich with a cherry on top could help with that?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

Sure but have you considered ignoring them instead?

Actually I was thinking of telling them that they will never ever get what they want and then try to scold them into voting for me anyway.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

No, see, it should be this esoteric, completely made up set of parameters that specifically exist so that I can justify having Bloomberg on stage. That way, he can continue to pollute our democracy with endless bags of money because corruption is legal and good.

Sounds like the DNC in a nutshell, tbf.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Remember back during the DNC chair election when the centrist brigade where arguing until they were blue in the face that Perez was just as far to the left as Ellison? Good times.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bernie has the anti-mattering shield.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vox Nihili posted:

Perez trying to get out in front of the ratfuck story.

https://twitter.com/TomPerez/status/1223386600555646979

Unless Bloomberg slips them a few hundred grand more for the grift, of course.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Actually I think it's pretty nice of Hillary to do fundraising drives like this for Bernie.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

25% of her supporters voted for McCain over Obama.

25%.

It's time to admit that Hillary Clinton is an extraordinarily toxic politician.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's really funny how every single white superwoke twitter liberal inevitably turns out to be hella casually racist.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Well. if you discount Bernie (who is famously NOT EVEN A DEMOCRAT) is the current crop of freaks and goobers really that much better?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Turns out that superwoke liberals believe that their superwokeness gives them license to be as racist and misogynist as they like.

Brave New World posted:

I'm feeling really optimistic about Bernie's chances tomorrow night, but I'm starting to get really pessimistic vibes about the DNC. There's a major cloud on the horizon presaging a huge ratfucking in the works.

I'm sure they'll try, but given the caliber of political operators we're dealing with here they're more likely to just end up tripping over their own shoelaces instead.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Seph posted:

538 was one of the only models giving Trump a chance in 2016.

It did so for the wrong reasons, though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Biden was an assurance to the old white guys that he wasn't really going to do anything silly like give people health care or hold police accountable or stop starting wars.

Yeah, back in 2008 they were pretty explicit about picking Biden to "balance the ticket".

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There is no meaningful comparison to be made here. We're talking different elections under different systems under different circumstances.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Junior G-man posted:

Really? The US has a different election system and time? Tell me more, Obi-Wan.

Right, so there's no point in working yourself up over superficial similarities.

JBP posted:

100%. The American system is way worse.

Well, insofar that it's a somewhat more rancid turd, then yes.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

They are basically Biden's ideal demographic and he is still placing third, wow.

Yea, if not even this crowd is breaking decisively for Biden he's most likely completely hosed.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

Enjoy your racist sham election I guess.

Yeah you're right, the DNC will probably try to rig it again.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Skex posted:

From a strategic standpoint Sanders and Warren coming out as the leading candidates in this race is the best outcome, because it will represent a realignment of the electorate and will force the moderates to move left.

Ultimately who is President matters less than where the center of gravity of the party lands, if the moderates have to move to Warren in order to counter Bernie that weakens the moderates and conservatives in the party. It also sends the message to those who have sympathies that lay further to the left but are afraid that don't have the support with the masses that it's safe to move to the left.

It's just like in 08 where black voters supported Clinton until it became clear that the electorate would indeed vote for a black man.

My preference is for the race to come down to Sanders vs Warren and the "centrists" and "moderates" shut out. Because that shifts the whole loving party.

Warren is a rightwinger and also a lying motherfucker, hth.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

AhhYes posted:

I mean it's true in the sense that all American politicians are right wing, but in the context of American politics it's nonsense.

Sorry that I had to break the news to you buddy, but she totally is. Pretending to be a leftist doesn't actually make you one.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

AhhYes posted:

And none of things make her right wing either. Which is what I was responding to.

She's a rightwinger because her overriding concern is preserving capitalism, hth.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

The amazing thing about all of this is seeing liberals like Chris Matthews more shook by the possibility of a Sanders nomination than they were by Donald Trump actually winning the presidency.

Nothing amazing about it. Trump doesn't pose any threat to the grift, but Bernie does.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Skex posted:

You are wrong, but it doesn't actually matter, the narrative is that she is a leftist, the perception is that she is a leftist so her support is leftist whether purists like you believe that she is or not is irrelevant.

"You're wrong and also it doesn't matter because perception" sure sounds like it comes from a place of some real solid-rear end reasoning.

E: Seriously. If I'm wrong you could just explain why and that would be that, but the fact that you feel the need to declare the whole question irrelevant just goes to show that you know I'm right and so you want to change the topic into some optics-based nonsense.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 4, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

I'm still not convinced that the app fuckup was intentionally orchestrated to benefit Pete. Because I'm not seeing how it actually benefits Pete at all. We can be pretty confident that the actual delegate counts, once they actually get collected, can't have been faked, at least not on a systematic level. This changes the media narrative, and not, as far as I can imagine it, in a way that benefits Pete. If everything had gone off without a hitch, the media, with its "ignoring Bernie" blinders on, would have had two big stories out of the caucuses: 1. Biden collapses, and 2. Pete either wins or has an unexpectedly very strong second place. Now, with the app fuckup, the actual results, which are good for Pete, are falling by the wayside, and whatever momentum he was counting on getting out of Iowa has been severely blunted.

All these heavily politically connected idiots running Shadow Inc, is all obviously a prime example of the incestuous relationship between politics and business undermining democracy but I don't think this happened the way anyone wanted and I certainly don't think the app fuckup was planned to somehow benefit Pete, because, uh, it doesn't.

That's an interesting point, but have you considered the fact that Pete and his crew are complete idiots?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The benefit of trying to control that early narrative is MASSIVELY outweighed by the negative optics of the situation though. Butterbar's critics hammer him on being a weaselly inexperienced little dork, and Sanders narrative for literal YEARS at this point is that weaselly candidates and the DNC are trying to screw him. This is a huge injection to BOTH narratives, Petey looks like a goddamn full-on company spook and Sanders can motivate his supporters even more ("see I told you they're trying to gently caress us, volunteer and donate today!") all while peeling voters away from candidates who see that Biden, Yang, Klob, etc who've proven they don't have a chance in hell at the prize. It's the worst of both worlds.

A centrist harebrained scheme coming back to bite them in the rear end, you say? Now where have I heard that one before?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure that there didn't seem to be any apparent need to rig the whole thing for Hillary last time around either back when they started doing it, but they still did.

This time around the establishment realizes that Bernie can win, so they have actual incentive.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

reignonyourparade posted:

If he keeps his mouth shut he doesn't necessarily win, his political career at ALL is basically do or die on this presidential campaign.

If he wins the primary with help of apparent foul play he'll get slaughtered by Trump anyway, so Mayor Butt's little stunt has basically ensured that he'll never be President.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nix Panicus posted:

Why do you think CIA spook Pete's plan was to win the presidency, as opposed to sabotaging other candidates to ensure the establishment takes the win?

Majorian posted:

Because he's an egomaniacal sociopath who has been talking about how he's going to be president from birth.

This and assuming it was one this also was the dumbest possible scheme to sabotage Bernie. Biden is dead. Butt is dead too due to being a cheater. So who does that leave? Warren? She's dead too on account of only appealing to PMC motherfuckers.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nosre posted:

I'm not seeing how a fix is even possible, since the whole process is public and the campaigns have observers everywhere reporting numbers.

Massive fuckup and yet another condemnation of apps for voting, and caucuses in general? That definitely.

Nobody's ever accused Pete the Cheat or the DNC of being competent at rigging elections. They could very well have banked on being able to pull a repeat of 2016 by way of servile media, but hosed the whole thing up by subcontracting the actual rigging part to some incompetent grifter outfit.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nosre posted:

Fair enough, I'll take your guys' word on Nevada. Caucuses are a relic.

If they ARE actually trying similar stuff in favor of Pete (of all people), though, I can't see it working. This isn't 2016 with a dominant party favorite; every spotlight in the world is on it, and Pete is going to come out looking like poo poo and Sanders even more energized

As I said nobody's ever accused them of competence.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Democrazy posted:

Why would Buttigieg rig a single caucus? It’s not like there’s not many more primaries and caucuses to go. If he did, he likely didn’t do it enough to stop Sanders from taking a likely lead, which if I were rigging a system is not how I program the results.

He's dumb and desperate, hth.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PepsiOverCoke posted:

Thats a different argument than"a campaign hacked an app"

No need to hack anything when the people making the app are working for you.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mr whistler posted:

I don't understand why everyone is going so conspirtard. The democrats are the least organized most incompetent party in the history of the universe. Why explain this by an 11 dimensional conspiracy when plain old extremely normal democratic incompetence explains it.

Because the DNC has absolutely no benefit of the doubt left, so the rational choice is to assume the worst.

Also it must be made clear that nothing that even seems the least bit shady will be tolerated since that will disincentivize any future attempts at ratfucking.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What's even dumber than seeing conspiracies everywhere is this dogged insistence that conspiracies actually don't happen so we need to ignore any possible ones out of hand.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mr whistler posted:

"Blatant rigging" apparently means a bunch of incompetent secretaries of state who don't keep voter rolls up to date?

The fix is in! Government bureaucrats can't keep voter databases updated accurately.

mr whistler posted:

Some of them voted for Clinton! QED, conspiracy.

mr whistler posted:

He didn't pay for the app. He used some of their software for text banking. The company sells more than one product.

You seem extremely insistent on defending Cheaty Pete's e-honor for some reason. How come?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mr whistler posted:

I don't even like Pete. I'm not voting for him. I just think conspiracy theories are dumb.

As opposed to completely ignoring possible vote rigging. That sure is the smart thing to do. A real winning move.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mr whistler posted:

If there is any ACTUAL evidence of vote rigging in Iowa rather than innuendo and six degrees of Hillary Clinton bullshit, let me know.

Ah, so ignoring possible vote rigging until we reach some arbitrary standard of proof. Now that's a winning move if I ever saw one. I'm sure that if we all just stay nice and quiet the people who either conspired or hosed up monumentally are really going to start digging for evidence and not just try to quietly sweep the entire thing under the rug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Giving him a nickname like Cheaty Pete just makes you sound as small and petty as Trump with his nicknames.

It's most likely that at the core of this is incompetence. Bad actors—some independent, some systemic—sprung on that incompetence as an opportunity to manipulate things in their ideal direction. Pete's connection to the app is sketchy as hell but not (yet) damning. Even if he did manipulate things, he (bafflingly) had a lot of support in Iowa and it's a measure of small degrees as to how much meddling would bump him up in numbers.

Yes, it might be enough to shift the narrative more in his favor than it would have otherwise, but let's not pretend that there's a cabal of DNC and CIA suits sitting around with some software engineers cackling right now.

Why are you so adamant on not using effective tactics?

Also I gotta say that it's real heartening to see that when we have a situation that's an absolute bungling at best and election fraud at worst and a disaster either way we still have the usual centrist brigade Kramering into the thread all outraged that somebody dares to suspect foul play like we can't see exactly what it is you're trying to do here. Your great and almighty DNC loving ballsed it again. And we're not going to shut up about it so they can sweep this poo poo under the rug.