Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Captain Invictus posted:

last two days have been immensely busy, this is basically the first time I've had time to check up on this thread and there's 4000 new posts. Last thing I saw was people still bickering about whether it was butt ratfucking the iowa caucus or a ~convenient accident~, but bernie was still looking good. How are things going now?

he's probably going to win easily unless SC just gets smashed by biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Captain Invictus posted:

Do I dare to hope that america might do something right for once?

imo its still biden v sanders at this point, biden doing real bad in iowa hurts him quite a bit but isnt a death blow

buttigieg is basically a distraction

warren just got straight up lost in the jumble of candidates unless she can do really well in NH

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

bernie was doomed to not win in 2016 for a variety of reasons but lack of an actual campaign and ground game wasn't one of them, both of which pete doesn't have in races going forward

he is looking to get a bump in NH post-iowa for his tie split with sanders but he wasn't even 2nd place in NH pre-iowa so its yet to be seen if buttmentum can make anything of that

but we'll find out soon!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

icantfindaname posted:

IMO Nevada's going to be very important, as it seems to me like the only place the centrists will really be able make a last stand against Bernie before he wins Super Tuesday in a landslide. I understand NV has close to a model Democratic Party machine built on the Las Vegas service workers unions and led by Harry Reid, and I get the feeling he'll be given the job of ratfucking Bernie and making sure either Rat Man or Biden stays viable through March 3. They'll also have longer to organize after NH and more room for the media to shape the narrative, almost 2 weeks, than they've had with the trainwreck this week. If Warren is going to drop out, it makes sense for her to do it in that span and endorse Rat Man or Biden to boost them going into Nevada. The Final Boss might just be Reid, not Bloomberg

i really don't get these histrionics because bernie is consistently been strong in polling for nevada and its going to take some real earth shattering upsets to possibly upend that

which could happen, but i think iowa just makes biden weaker though things are still possible

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Ague Proof posted:

"Get Brexit Done" also played on people's exhaustion of politics. It was a promise that whatever you thought about Brexit, you would never have to hear it 5 times a day every day again. You wouldn't have to be bombarded by daily politics and have to keep track of the byzantine and annoyingly close Parliamentary votes. (This was of course a lie)

This was a a cynical attack countering Labour's promise that politics could fundamentally transform lives for the better. Another referendum would be so tiresome. The Tories said: all politicians are liars, better things aren't possible, vote for us to just finish this poo poo.

Johnson actually ran a campaign of hiding from normal people and the media as much as possible and trying not to draw much attention to himself. Trump can't and won't do this.

The Democrat running on 'vote for me and you will never have to hear the word Trump again' probably would be a good strategy, but would lower enthusiasm in future elections.

at least sanders has actual favorable polling unlike corbyn

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

unless things go absolute poo poo creek in the next month seems like bernie will win which, if you're a bernie supporter, should be the most important thing to focus on

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Gripweed posted:

Yeah people were just flat out ignoring the fact that everybody in the UK hated Corbyn. And that his overly complicated solution to the most pressing political issue wasn't very persuasive compared to his opponents single sentence solution. The situations aren't comparable at all.

im not even a thread regular thats spent the past three years hyping how bernie cannot fail only be failed, definitely going to win

he's got the polling, he's got the fundraising, he's got competitive endorsements, he did well in iowa and likely to do good in NH and SC and beyond

just show a little conviction bernie or bust gangtaggers

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

it is pretty disappointing that a bunch of qualified candidates, who i didn't really want to be president *but still all ended up bowing out long before iowa and its the guy no one heard of or likes that got second place in iowa

they definitely put in their time and mayor pete just kind of shows up out of nowhere and it is kind of bullshit especially since his platform is nothing

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

kidkissinger posted:

i love how it's entirely people who have made long twitter threads about white privilege who are backing him too

also they were all POC, who, (harris, booker, castro, etc) had faults at least had long public service careers and positions and pete's staying power seems to mostly be little to no government service, say nothing, taken money from anyone and be white

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

u brexit ukip it posted:

I would add to this that UK Labour tried to adopt a compromise, conciliatory stance on Brexit and was generally the only party/organisation even trying to do this. However, any other stance would still have cost them votes, just different ones. Labour's voters were inherently split on the issue so it was really a choice of 'which core demographic will we lose'.

well lost either way so

i guess not the right choice

but thats for a different thread

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

fortunately sanders biggest concern aka referendum is just beating trump not whether you are secretly maybe sort of supporting the policy proposal your opposing party came up with that the country is divided on and now youre trying to figure out how to thread that needle

so he'll probably be fine

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

V. Illych L. posted:

sanders is in a good position to do as he doesn't have to answer for the actions of a big and very hostile institution

lol

but yes he's in a far better set up than corbyn which isnt saying much as he's still probably hosed post-inauguration

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

FRINGE posted:

So weird.

yeah hes astroturfed to poo poo im aware of this that was my point

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

V. Illych L. posted:

to put it this way: when labour party people tried to gently caress corbyn, that was credibly spun as corbyn's fault for mismanaging his party. when they try to gently caress sanders, he can point out that he's not even a member of their stupid party. the DNC being incompetent isn't something that can be pinned on sanders because he's still manifestly an outsider to that institution, which corbyn wasn't by the end

this isn't how things are going to play out either way, in terms of party dynamics not being comparable but also if there was the idea sanders could just say well, i wasn't even one of them really! not flying cause thats a fantasy

but sanders problems in a potential general arent comparable to corbyns huge mess of gently caress ups so i think he'll be fine

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

if you ever have to ask yes the answer is to calm down grouchio

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah hasn't it been pointed out again and again that most polls are way oversampling olds which aren't Bernie's core voter groups? Which would explain how much worse Biden did in Iowa vs his poll numbers.

i think it's just when push comes to shove people just aren't actually feeling Biden

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Mahoning posted:

He knows his X’s and O’s with regards to economics, even if he is a little more old school, but if he steps even a centimeter outside of pure economics he is absolutely dogshit.

Krugman is good in that he has been banging the “raise the minimum wage” drum for over 20 years and can back it up with all sorts of economic data about how it doesn’t harm employment figures.

But yeah he’s more of a political commentator who dabbles in economics and that makes him a net negative.

his job is economics, op

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

HootTheOwl posted:

Didn't Krugman write a whole book on how conventional wisdom is bullshit and you should look at data but then all his articles on politics keep falling back on conventional wisdom and not data?

not that im aware of as he's more a model driven guy than a Big Data guy which is more of a thing in like the past ten years

there is of course no way to objectively study politics though unless were talking the rigors of scientific communism

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Djarum posted:

Well M4A is already incredibly popular if Bernie wins and if you are a Democrat that is responsible for not passing it I can guarantee that there will be a bullseye on you in the next election.

Frankly I wouldn’t be surprised if you saw some GOP members vote for it,

are you serious

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

"dems are as a party incredibly untrustworthy for progressive reform" alongside "maybe we'll get some GOP on our side" is definitely some whiplash

that was not happening before trump and do not expect if he's elected out the gop just stops being bad faith actors (because they were before)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

oh its that guy

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

V. Illych L. posted:

democratic primary voters include a large cadre of party loyalists who will basically do what they're told by the party structure via endorsements etc. A democratic primary is the only contest imaginable where affiliation with the democratic party brand is a positive. this will not be the case in a general election, because nobody likes the democratic party.

further, most people don't really live on a straight left/right spectrum. they have an incoherent and often contradictory mush of ideology, which is how the UK, most right-wing country in western europe, still has the most 'left-wing' health care system. many of sanders' positions are genuinely popular among otherwise unreachable parts of the electorate, and he's going to suffer much less from the tribal rejection of a democratic politician than anyone else

this is all wrong i think and that you probably don't have a good lay of the land

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

"THE VIRUS ISNT REAL ITS ALL A HOAX!!" I scream over my giant Costco cart overflowing with toilet paper and hand sanitizer

well well look at this fat cat that actually has toilet paper

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Somfin posted:

Like, being afraid of Trump, I understand, I genuinely do.

But the decision to shut your eyes and ears to what Biden is and what he's done, particularly the ways in which he is just like Trump if not worse- that is where fascism springs from. It's not from hate, it's from deliberate ignorance in favour of simple Bad Guy Bad narratives.

Trump is super loving bad.

Biden is super loving bad too.

We're being ordered to negotiate with electoral terrorists- you should make sure you're happy obeying those giving the order. Find the moral line you won't cross.

i think that line is somewhere around bloomberg had won the nomination

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Apogee15 posted:

Also how does the economy look like for the month prior to the election? I think those will be the two biggest factors.

i think its going to be real loving bad

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Epic High Five posted:

turnout among the youth and progressives was up, it's just that turnout among the olds and chuds and Epstein lovers was up even more. They don't like Biden so much as they saw that their kids were fired up and ready to change the world so they turned out in a panic to stop that from happening. It's their prime and often singular drive and constitutes their entire ideology.

Now they've got their guy, and they aren't happy because deep down they're terrified he'll lose and now their kids are all pissed off at The Party which is something they aren't comfortable with opposition to. Why, when their preferred centrist careerist lost in the past, they fell in line, why aren't these damned bernie bros doing the same?! They wanted the kids the gently caress out, and they got their wish. I hope Biden loses 50 states and I'll be working to ensure it happens

i think its more dem turnout among all demos was super high motivated on basically voting for anyone as we similarly saw in 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Christine O'Donnell is not a witch.

yeah i had a short circuit for a moment there too of wait, where have i heard that name before