Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How dare Bernie compare killing millions of people to killing millions of people.

poo poo like this is the best they got, folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Office Pig posted:

What compels you to believe this idea that flies in the face of Warren's actions and stated strategies for this primary? She literally wants to be coronated by party bosses, that does not gel with someone who would endorse Sanders.

On the other hand, Warren does things that make no loving sense, constantly.

Just gonna have to wait and see.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The amazing thing about the Cillizza/Enten power rankings is that neither Harris #1 nor Bernie #7 are the dumbest part of them, thanks to Beto #2.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Concerned Citizen posted:

i mean maybe it's not representative at all, it's just not really what you'd hope to see if you're the sanders campaign. at the end of the day it's pretty hard to win a democratic primary with less than 30% of the vote, because the field is going to winnow quite a bit by super tuesday. he has to either substantially increase turnout or win voters over who supported a different candidate

Eh, like 10 days ago any Sanders supporter would’ve taken a narrow victory/tie, expectations just got pumped way up by all the polls (like, literally every one) looking good for him and no indication of the smears working. The result still tracks with him winning New Hampshire easily, he could win Nevada and even SC looked close in that one poll, anyway (and yesterday was a total humiliation for the frontrunner there).

Considering he is still polling well in CA and is second in a lot of states that Biden could/should be freefalling in...yeah it’s not bad. And plenty of Biden and Warren votes should come to Bernie in a contest with Pete, although it will probably be close.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dad Jokes posted:

lmao, they 100% saw the bernie office getting a rock in their window and had to one up it

too bad they were too lazy to actually throw them from outside

https://mobile.twitter.com/JediofGallifrey/status/1232279261962285060

E: whoops, forgot to refresh

I mean, the rocks could all be a neat pile like that because they were swept up.

As for why there's no glass to sweep up, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CubanMissile posted:

Look what came in the mail.

"Winner of the Iowa Caucus", as his greatest achievement, will probably be on Pete's return address stamp the rest of his life. As his greatest achievement.

(and he didn't even win lolol)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If Bernie does well on Saturday and Tuesday, then we can probably stop worrying about this red-bait poo poo in general. It just doesn't work like it did 20 years ago.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fojar38 posted:

I hope you're right, because I'm worried that Bernie is unnecessarily exposing a weak flank when he doesn't have to. Frankly it's Bloomberg and especially Trump that 'ought to be having the "too friendly with dictators" book thrown at them and it's harder to do that if you always have to play defense.

It concerns me too, as a gut reaction, but between the events of 2016, Bernie, and the guidance of this thread, I've learned that conventional wisdom generally overstates the impact of things like that. I'm glad it'll be worked out quickly.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, Nevada really took a pretty long amount of time to count its ballots, but nobody cared, because the outcome was immediately obvious. CA will probably be a similar situation.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does anyone know what percentage of Biden’s campaign spending so far has been in South Carolina?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They tried "he's not a real Democrat", they tried "how are we going to pay for it", they tried "he's going to take away your insurance!" and none of it worked.

I'm really, really, really worried right now that "he can't beat Trump" will work, and every single talking head and newspaper columnist has been beating that drum for a week straight. I would love for tonight to just flat out prove that that won't work, either, but I'm afraid it's going to be a lot more complicated than that...

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Armack posted:

It's really not a good sign. 66% for Biden in VA exit polls and 17% for Bernie.

What the gently caress happened???????

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody has ever called a state at close off of exit polls and been wrong, they are actually pretty cautious about poo poo like that (especially since 2000). We just gotta hope for damage control in VA, sorry.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
loving Maddow is shocked by people who want Bernie Sanders to win booing a result wherein he lost. :decorum:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, it's always possible that the vote has been distributed in a very strange regional way, and that we'll end up feeling okay by the end of the night, but I just want to say that people who aren't freaking out right now are objectively wrong.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Herewaard posted:

please enlighten us as to what freaking out will accomplish

Don't overthink this. You know what I meant.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

We really giving up and panicking already? jesus gently caress.

Not giving up, but absolutely panicking, yes.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Viability for Biden in VT is gonna be a real kick in the nards.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Apocalypse posted:

Which state is this genius from?

All of them.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not too upset about any results so far outside of the VA blowout and the maddening 5% in VT in which Bernie barely has a majority. Sort of a mixed bag elsewhere. Glad that outside of AL none of the other states seem to have the VA/SC pattern.

Nonetheless, I have elected to continue freaking out - this is the same philosophy I use in sports; if I expect the worst then I win the expectations game.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thewalk posted:

Do u guys know young people below 35 years of age they are lazy. Theyre obsessed with social media. Taking time to register, mail in a ballot is beyond their effort level. Forget about waiting in line to vote

The pattern goes back decades and decades and decades so I don't think "social media" is to blame.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think people should be reminded that tonight is not the end of the primary.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Tonight is vitally important for narratives that will decide turnout in the rest of the primaries, for better or worse.

The narratives were set against Bernie as harshly as they could be before tonight. ("Bernie can't beat Trump, and all your favorite Democratic stars have joined together behind Joe Biden!") There is plenty of time for a ridiculous Biden gaffe or Bernie-friendly news event to change things up. This is not how I would've elected for tonight to go but I think 08 and 16 proved that if you have a delegate race after Super Tuesday - and Bernie and Biden WILL be close in delegates - there are a lot of narrative changes still to come.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bernie is an old man and of course he’s had some cognitive decline. That’s just how brains work. But there’s a big difference between saying the wrong name sometimes or misquoting a statistic vs. occasionally just rambling nonsensically for 30 seconds straight.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bernie really can't handle this topic for poo poo. It outstrips his ability to put up with bullshit and he gets irritated.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

1glitch0 posted:

But he's loving right! He just doesn't play the game. And that probably means he won't win the game, but I can't not appreciate and support that.

He's 100% right! I just wish he could find some way to slip out of the topic as gracefully as possible but they keep finding ways to make him keep talking about it.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every single Bernie supporter in this thread was a liberal before they were a leftist, and probably at least half of Bernie's voters are liberals, but yeah I'm sure liberalism has no influence on modern leftism. Let's quote Mao, that's relevant.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe the theory is that the vast overlap in characteristics of these two vain, senile rapists will cause Trump to actually experience empathy, and without the bottomless bile capacity he had in 2016 he'll shrivel away.

I mean... not a good theory, but we're dealing with very inexplicable behavior, so everything is on the table.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
While rape is not funny, I do find it darkly humorous that Biden was able to work his catchphrase "come on, man!" into his assault.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HootTheOwl posted:

Things must truly be bleak if Mellow Seas has returned.

Posting about posters.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

is pepsi ok posted:

I keep seeing people on Twitter use this as proof of his innocence by claiming that phrase has only been used by Biden in particular and people in general in the last few years, and absolutely nobody said in in the 90s.

What's the term when you gaslight yourself?

Liberalism! :rimshot:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kalli posted:

https://twitter.com/JordanChariton/status/1243621308665081856

Send this thread to SAS, we need content, and we're super familiar with team fans ignoring rape allegations

I mean yeah "rape is bad" but think of the difference Antonio Brown could've made to the Patriots' pathetic receiver corps last year.

Ahem, excuse me, I meant to say "how much Joe Biden can beat Trump in the Rust Belt."

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Exodus1984 posted:

The more this picks up steam, and it will, the worse it is going to get. Feel free to disagree, but Biden will be replaced at the convention, probably with Sherrod Brown.

Presumably because he’s the other established Democrat who would never, ever budge to public pressure on M4A. Still, uh, I guess we could do worse.

I haven’t seen him floated anywhere (unlike Cuomo or heh, Hillary), did you see that somewhere or just a personal hunch?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Biden did a good thing when he came out in favor of gay marriage. It wasn’t as noble as it’s often portrayed, and it doesn’t make him a good person or politician or a fitting president. But it was good. Two points Biden, who cares, move on.

That Bernie has supported gay marriage literally his whole life is enough differentiation, without putting down Biden’s not-entirely-empty gesture.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 30, 2020

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Pam Keith was trying to dismiss the allegation (which is bad), but she was flip about it (which is really bad) and it came off as "yeah, and?" (which is worse).

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

moths posted:

If they go hard on Biden now the DNC can realign behind Hillary or Cuomo, which is such an obvious ratfuck that Bernie might come out ahead.

Yeah, I don't know, it's becoming clear that more or less the entire purpose of the Democratic party has become to keep Bernie Sanders from being president. There is no way he will ever get the nomination. If he starts sweeping primaries when they start up again, they'll find some way to cancel them or not count them.

As long as they want to nominate a Corona Hero Governor, I don't know why they wouldn't just nominate Jay Inslee instead of Cuomo (who is actually way, way more conservative than Biden, just mentally competent and as far as we know not a rapist). Plus, Inslee actually bothered to run for President.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Condiv posted:

if anyone but biden or bernie comes out of this as the dem nominee, and you "vote blue no matter who" for that person, you're a loving idiot and a clown who is literally telling the DNC "i don't actually care if the democratic party is democratic! I'll support elites no matter what they do!"

Well it's not going to be Bernie so excuse me if I'd like to fantasize a moment about a candidate who is just regular-bad instead of "literally the worst major party nominee of the last century".

But yeah, anybody who gets plucked out of thin air by the DNC is going to have to sign their souls away to get that deal, so it really is just a fantasy. (And, yes, extremely un-democratic.)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mcmagic posted:

She really didn't. She had a few people on twitter who liked her but there was no real excitement for her candidacy among voters. She was just the presumptive winner before the primary even started.

She had a base of support, it’s just that that entire base was contained entirely within the group “the most reliable Democratic voters possible” so it wasn’t really useful.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think people should recognize that Biden actually could win the election. It loving shocks me that anybody ever authoritatively states “[x] can’t win an election” after 2016, even if the politician in question sucks.

That said, gently caress off, Enten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

brugroffil posted:

"Beat Trump" is a short-term and shallow platform that will not actually improve any of the conditions that gave us Trump and Republican domination in the first place. It will not address the larger societal issues, either, and will instead offer at best a temporary reprieve with no real hope for the future. agc.

Nate Beeler is a NeverTrump Republican, so this is precisely what he wants.