Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I remember 2015.

2015 feels so, so long ago. Decades ago.

I can't believe we're actually only a few days from the Iowa primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nairbo posted:

https://twitter.com/marston4ca42/status/1223633192680210432?s=21

https://twitter.com/marston4ca42/status/1223861356773793793?s=21

With one Tweet this dumb centrist lady sunk her campaign. She’s up against a Berniecrat too who’s getting a decent flood of donations apparently today. If you aren’t convinced the AFL-CIO was handing out endorsements easily before...

This racist piece of poo poo is pretending that it was ANOTHER account that tweeted this stuff.

https://twitter.com/Marston4ca42/status/1223967859849613312?s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

:stwoon:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mcmagic posted:

We shouldn't sugarcoat it... It's very bad if Bernie doesn't win tomorrow.

How did we go from "Well Bernie probably won't win Iowa but it's not strictly necessary" a few months ago to "It's very bad if Bernie doesn't win Iowa"?

Lol Bloomberg views his height as a flaw comparable to obesity, fake hair, and spray-on tans.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I call it a bubbler

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

FizFashizzle posted:

This isn't to you specifically, but just because we had a lot of incidents in 2016 election night, please guys go to the hospital if you feel like something is wrong.

A lot of goons are getting to the age where things aren't just random aches and pains. If you feel like something is wrong, believe it's wrong and get treated, please.

Good thing we have universal health coverage! ... ...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nonsense posted:

Pete's team got big brains

What the actual gently caress is this.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lol they deliberately released partial results to let the media have a cycle of declaring Buttigieg the winner.

The Democrats are our enemies.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Tar and feather Troy Price. Then the rest of the IDP.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I expect to see a bunch of goons this summer at the convention.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

CelestialScribe posted:

gently caress anarchism. I'd spit on you if I could.

Anarchism simply means that anyone who doesn't fit in with the community gets trampled on and there is no one there to help them.

"If you don't like how people are treating you, you leave"

Hmm sounds a lot like "If you don't like the country, gently caress off."

"And if someone tries to oppress you, you have it out with them, because no one is able to monopolize violence"

Can't wait to live next to white supremacist communities who get to kill black people with no repercussions.

This is about as nuanced an understanding as the boomers who think communism means no one has personal property anymore.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

you mean like social credit but literally you pay for your food with it?

indistinguishable from the current system

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

sexpig by night posted:

literally just describing capitalism

I expect more and more people to have the realization that capitalism/money is stupid bullshit now that paying with your phone is widespread and you can just walk into a store, grab what you need, swipe your phone, and walk out having done nothing other than change the polarity of a few hundred bits

it's so easy to just go "hey that last part is ridiculously extraneous"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Really appreciating the bookending of Gillibrand and Kamala in this picture.

Sinema is going to run for Republican President in 2024, mark this post.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

delegates don't matter, all about the media coverage of a winner and the perception of it and they're choosing to go with this stupid SDE thing

Wow, just like superdelegates!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
perfectly spherical rounding

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

How are u posted:

His dogshit aggro fans on Twitter and itt do a huge disservice to him and his mission.

:jerkbag:

Essentially everyone I've spoken to in person in Wisconsin who are supportive of Bernie are even more radical than people online are actually being. The people crying and moaning about this are Beltway decorumites. They have absolutely no clue how strongly the working class feels about this kind of stuff, and the people "on Twitter" are frankly treating these ghouls with kid gloves.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

How are u posted:

poo poo lib. Lanyard. Neoliberal ghoul. PMC.

Y'all have a lot in common when it comes to throwing insults.

This dude 110% isn't a Bernie supporter. He might begrudgingly vote for Bernie but he absolutely isn't a Bernie supporter.

How are u posted:

I meant that they have their stupid glib insults, and you have yours.

LOL.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Bernie

SANDERS

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Pick posted:

Yeah I get the feeling a lot of you are going to keep dismissing the polls right until The Thing Happens You Didn't Believe Would Happen, even though all the polls told you--it was going to happen.

The polling that shows Bernie in the lead?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Your faith doesn't matter one single bit. Your personal outlook is totally irrelevant. Getting worked up, getting anxious, all that is just a waste of time. What happens will be what happens. Bernie Sanders is going to win.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, and I'll deal with that when it comes. I don't see a reason as of yet to torture myself about Bernie winning NH, not after him winning Iowa, not after the dozens of cuckfail shitlibs paraded before us all cratered massively because the American people are fed up with these loving parasites.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

OwlFancier posted:

The american thing where you identify yourself as being some flavour of european despite having been born in america to american parents is genuinely extremely strange from a UK perspective, where frankly the idea of knowing your ancestry is something you probably don't do unless you're like, 45 and having a midlife geneology crisis, or if you're an extremely inbred aristocrat.

My maternal great-grandparents were immigrants (Bavaria), as were my paternal grandparents (Sicily). It was so completely normal for me growing up as a kid, having internalized the idea that I'm a descendant of immigrants and that it's a, if not the, American thing, that it was actually weird to run into other Americans who've been here for like 6-8 or more generations who still consider themselves descendants of immigrants but have no actual connection to their immigrant heritage nor any idea of the languages and cultural traditions that their families came from.

And apparently this is the norm for white Americans and despite being a white American, in this specific and particular sense, I have much more in common with other Americans than I do with most white Americans.

Anyway, I would say to the British goon that I'm replying to, a big part of this comes from the sheer variety of places that Americans came from. It's a cultural thing to compare and discuss "where we're from" because unless you live in a specific enclave you're probably going to get dozens of different answers on that front and it makes for good conversation material. I imagine it's a much less interesting topic for Brits who come from unbroken lines of servility to nobility.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah well that’s why I still like Bernie. But I think for the near future any competent gay candidate (Butty isn’t competent) is not going to be favored by the “You can’t take dark money” crowd. There’s too many biases against them in this puritanical messed up country to lose the bigots and turn down PACs.

Having voted for Mark Pocan and Tammy Baldwin in the "lower class" state of Wisconsin, take your classism and shove it up your rear end in a top hat.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Absolutely amazing that someone came into this thread to insist that gay people have to hobnob with billionaires to be electorally viable because they can't possibly associate with the filth-encrusted poors.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The actual thing undermining democracy is the idea that we can't call a motherfucker a motherfucker because it's rude and embarrassing, and the motherfuckers get to go right along signing bills stripping wealth and rights from the lower classes while pretending that because they didn't physically march into someone's house and seize the wad of cash from underneath their mattress that they aren't culpable for the systemic violence.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

CSM posted:

Of course it's existed longer than Trump. American politics especially has been hosed for decades.

The kind of name-calling practiced by Trump and left-wing populists here, just isn't default discourse in a democracy, and definitely not something to encourage. Even if an American perspective may lead you to conclude it is.

It's damaging to public discourse, just fuels hatred of politics in general, which then leads to support for authoritarian politics.

The stuff you're complaining about has been part of democratic politics stretching back thousands of years. Take some time and read about Roman political history during the leadup to and throughout the Crisis of the Republic. It's not remotely unique to America nor a novel phenomenon.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it is, in fact, the default discourse in a democracy, and the fact the people telling you it's not and the people who profit off telling you to die bankrupt if you ever get sick are one and the same is not a coincidence.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1226609408953577472
https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1226617131296423937

These people are dangerous and corrosive to our society.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Ehhh, I feel bad for that lady. The idea that working on a democratic candidate's campaign should disqualify someone from working for the DNC on voting accessibility issues seems silly.

Any goodwill you had should have instantly evaporated the moment you saw that she was actively hiding her history and trying to scrub it from the Internet. She is not making a good faith effort to help here, she is working on Mayo Peter's behalf.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
And this pretty much seals it for me, Nevada is going to be hosed with:

https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/status/1226610358665830400

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Alkydere posted:

Eh, I see as like #9 or #10 on a "top ten list" sort of thing but that's only because I'm not that engaged myself. I'm sure if I actually ended up working in DC in some government capacity it would drop to #20 or #30 real loving fast. There's so many more important things to do.

And when I say "take care of the deficit" I mainly mean "I understand that as the World's Bank, America can deficit spend forever and that debt will be treated as forever good. I just think we should at least make some half-assed attempt to pay some of it off ahead of time to help shore up the shared illusion that money, especially American money, is worth something. And the first step to doing that is ending our foreverwars so we can stop paying for them"

Or we could just agree that money is a wildly inefficient system of resource distribution.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mcmagic posted:

It's actually kind impressive that a guy with no resume like Rat gently caress has been able to get his claws in the DNC so quickly. You'd have thought that the older, established corruption, would've prevented that from happening.

I can't overstate how dangerous liberals are to the future of this country. They're nakedly attempting to rig the primary -- again -- to deny it to Bernie. If they succeed, Buttigieg's going to get blown out McGovern style and we can write off any hopes of managing the climate emergency in any meaningful way.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Craptacular! posted:

Because SA doesn’t have an upvote/downvote system ala Reddit, dogpiling seems to be the method of “downvoting to irrelevancy” used anymore, so I’m sure you’re going to have like four snide responses but I agree with you.aybe it’s because we’ve demonized appeals to decorum to the point where this bullshit is seen as passable, but what I see from Bernie Twitter is some small children on the schoolyard poo poo.

Sanders himself stays above the fray and only bothers with trolls on his level (namely, Hillary Clinton) but the online sphere around his campaign... I still will vote for him, but goddamn does it sting to see “eighth grade bullies” as the communication protocol of the day. Trump has simply mainstreamed what batshit right wing bloggers have said among themselves for years (RINO, “lamestream media”, etc) and from talking to those people for a few years I can tell you that they feel your opinion matters so long as it agrees with theirs, and as soon as it doesn’t gently caress you. That poo poo helped un-center me me away from the GOP and it’s sad to see a place like this, which moved me left in so many issues, repeat it.

You are posting, and have been posting on for 19 years now, the Something Awful forums, a place with a long-held reputation for unvarnishedness. Clutching at your pearls while appealing to civility is rooted in the same place from which came the classism you were spewing this morning and last night.

Do you know how people react when I talk to them about politics, and bring up examples like Hillary continuing to bitch about Bernie or Buttigieg working behind the scenes to interfere with the primary? It's disgust, it's consternation, it's anger. That's how normal people react! "That's crap." "What a rat." "None of them are honest." I'm curious about what sort of bubble you're in where people you interact with apparently go off on long detailed conversations about the deficit instead of having a direct, emotional reaction to shitters acting like shitters.

Craptacular! posted:

I think the core of it is that I follow most of the same political Twitters that people here do, but I’m disgusted by what I see and come here for more measured analysis and less conspiracy theory bullshit. But what I get is CTH megadittos.

You ARE reading measured analysis. Peter Buttigieg is interfering with the Nevada caucus. There are multiple direct and circumstantial pieces of evidence, as well as a pattern of behavior, suggesting that this is the case. You're using "conspiracy theory" to attempt to dismiss it out of hand.

Kale posted:

Says literally who though?

....what and who are you talking about though? Who is doing this and if they are you sure your not cherrypicking really bad extreme examples where myriad other issues are at people?

The president of the Center for American Progress, to name one. And if you want to write Tanden off as just a twitter nobody, then we can start talking about the myriad legislators and party leaders who are doing exactly this stuff, like Nancy Pelosi and Tom Perez. Look at how party apparatchik treated Nina Turner, how Dianne Feinstein dismissed the kids from Sunrise, at how Hillary sneered at and her audience hissed at the BLM protesters.

We could have an entire thread about how Barack Obama is and was doing exactly this!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Reapportion Iowa among Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, and Minnesota.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They flipped a coin, and he won, obviously

https://twitter.com/awzurcher/status/1224533900946485250

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kale posted:

I don't really care much about optics personally, I'm not making a case for :decorum: and "being nice to political opponents". I care about observable results and whether a certain action actually helps achieve that or just serves as waste of time from other actions people could be taking that do achieve desired results and objectives. If making these people feel uncomfortable on twitter directly affects their ability to organize and effect harmful policy or elect harmful candidates than IMO it's fair game since I'd expect the same from them (i.e Republicans/Neo Nazi types) at this point. I'm very skeptical calling Pete Buttgieg a rat and making memes is putting his camp off it's game. Rattling Buttgieg supporters on twitter doesn't actually achieve anything if they still end up going out and voting for him anyway or unless in that process it adds a counter vote for the Bernie camp somehow. You can tell convince yourself it does, but that doesn't make it the case in absence of observable evidence.

fwiw the various memes and stuff, both pro-Bernie and anti-Bernie's-enemies, have been great for getting the soft support I'm running into IRL pumped up and enthusiastic for Bernie.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I will select Dragoon Kain for vice president.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I can't believe we're already almost halfway to Super Tuesday.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

For the second time: The Iowa officials need to be tarred and feathered, then expelled from the party. Price has no business being anywhere close to an official position.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Brony Car posted:

What’s wrong with voting for Parasite? I thought that was a pretty woke movie. Most of the lame people probably went for 1917, no?

That's the point, the rich elite will tut tut about the wokeness and then turn around and continue supporting their class interests. Don't expect anything from the Hollywood cadre, they are not your friends, and they would sooner feed each and every one of us into a mulcher than give up their wealth and privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Chinese Gordon posted:

Calling for a recanvas is a mistake. By the time it's done, any momentum gain from winning will be moot, and the very act of calling it makes Bernie look like a sore loser. Also it keeps the Iowa catastrophe in the news just when we should be moving to a "Bernie is the undisputed frontrunner" narrative.

That's not why they're doing it, they're doing it because it prevents them from declaring Mayo Peter the victor until after New Hampshire, at which point it'll cease mattering.