Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up. At least this is interesting if not infuriating. Buttigieg sucks and polling showed him in a pretty distant place. How did this happen?

So it looks like Bloomberg the W Bush, Iraq war endorsing republican is their hope now. FML

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I read some of the comments. That bernie bro narrative really took off.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

VH4Ever posted:

Caucuses are stupid, they waste time, and are tilted in a way that excludes the poor/working classes. Just have a loving vote like everybody else. A caucus strikes me as something that went out of date since the telegraph was invented.

This: I worked in restaurants. No freaking cook or waitress is going to end up being included in this and that just freaking sucks. What about strippers? They have political ideals too.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I have to say that chances are it is incompetence. Yes the stakes are high and yes we have all been hoping for this moment and wishing for sanders to win but we have to accept that it may not happen. This is hellworld after all.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Dessel posted:

Even if I'm slightly erring on the side of "ratfuckery" I'm not really comfortable watching people tweeting out the faces of the app developers to gather outrage and lynch mentality towards them, regardless of their current and prior affiliations.

this. Hanlon's razor.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

if you are going to say that bernie claimed he won you should post the quote.

edit:piss tape is real

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Kaal posted:

A prime example here: "My candidate is the only one that can be trusted, everyone else is a psycho CIA plant."

Bernie has a long history of truthfullness and consistency.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

sexpig by night posted:

no seriously guys I just woke up and googling 'Iowa Caucus Results' gets me everyone saying 'PFFFFT hosed if we know', is there literally nothing?

pffft hosed if I know

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Cerebral Bore posted:

If you take even a medium-hard look at the history if spookery in the US you'd know that there is no such thing as being too dumb to be one. It's always been a bunch of failsons cooking up one harebrained scheme after another.

wasnt pompeo a spook at one point? I think that proves the point if true.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

sexpig by night posted:

we need to put Tom Perez in a pit

this is not a threat of violence, this is me just saying he has to live in a pit now

he can get an easy chair and a little picture that says "home sweet pit" to hang on the wall.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

feedmyleg posted:

Conspiracies actually happen, yes. Currently, however, this is a conspiracy theory. All that I've argued for is that we should treat it as such in light of a lack of evidence.

My only posts in this thread are about how we should be more measured in our discussion because currently everything being discussed is based on supposition.

You're literally admitting that there's no evidence.

Who are my political idols, then, based on my two posts in this thread? You can gently caress right off because you have absolutely no idea.

you are not wrong that we are dealing in conjecture at this moment, but by precedent and also how the DNC and the media has been covering Bernie I think it is right to be wary.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I think the biggest reason most of us are pretty up in arms is because we know that the only logical way forward that will help curtail the crushing wealth inequality is if Bernie wins and because the DNC and MSM is going to fight him every step of the way we have to fight extra hard to make this happen. It is why so many people donated, so many people volunteered, and to a lesser extent why some of his supporters can be a bit abrasive. We all know what the stakes are. I for one am being crushed under a mountain of medical debt because I had the nerve to get sick in the greatest country on the planet. Of course this shouldn't happen and Bernie is the only candidate with anything substantive to do about it.

The other thing is this is really the beginning of a slow move leftward that is long overdue in this country and we really want that to happen. If we lose the nomination here it won't stop it but it will surely slow it.

I for one am not really getting my hopes up. We are up against an insane machine full of people that would rather trump win than give up one iota of power.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

DreamingofRoses posted:

Oh cool, I’ll just change my primary vote, shall I? I’m in SC, so voting for Biden shouldn’t be a problem

I got no beef with you but changing your vote to a person you probably don't want to vote for because someone on the internet said something you didn't like is probably not a great idea.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's really why this whole clusterfuck is so frustrating. It looks like he did terribly and if everything had gone smoothly that would've been the news.

Maybe that might be why this crashed. I know this is tinfoil hat territory but do you think maybe they realized bernie was winning and they wanted to keep biden viable in future states and wanted to keep him out of the news so they figured out a way to pull this debacle? very far fetched and occam's razor

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Insanite posted:

If your perception of it all is more malice than incompetence, this and muddling Bernie's victories in doubt seems way more likely than just trying to manipulate votes.

this is very reasonable and makes a lot of sense. I bet they just didn't want Bernie to make the news so much for his victory and keep the story as the caucus.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The next big thing we need to worry about is Bloomberg. He has pretty much unlimited resources to run his campaign. I don't watch TV and I've seen many of his advertisements. His direct reason for running is to stop Bernie from winning. We need to buckle down and work even harder.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Office Pig posted:

Watch this if you need evacuate your body of toxins right out the mouth-hole in a minute and a half!
https://twitter.com/WhiteSoxSlater/status/1224698004566872065?s=20

The look of the woman when she asks "well then why does it say a man should marry a woman in the bible?" is priceless. Its like the stupidest gotcha ever.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Main Paineframe posted:

Also, I'm gonna say two things :siren:from the mod perspective::siren:

1. It's fine to TV/IV stuff when there's actual big events going on, but it seems pretty clear that actual events have stalled out right now, so I think it's about time to put a stop to the TV/IVing and return to normal D&D posting, at least until the actual numbers come out.
  2. It is absolutely fine for people who are not regular participants in this thread to start participating in this thread right now, even if it means they're coming in with different opinions from the people who've been posting here nonstop for the last eight months. Don't chase people out simply because they're newcomers to the thread.

this. i want to hear other perspectives too. I often find I have tunnel vision when it comes to politics because I only really know my own lived experience.

I honestly don't think there was any elaborate conspiracy to rig the election. At most they are just slow rolling because they know Bernie won and they don't want him in the news but even this is a stretch.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Republicans posted:

If Bernie doesn't win the nomination, especially because of ratfucking like this, then many of his supporters simply won't vote. Even if they begrudgingly vote they sure as gently caress aren't going to campaign, donate or try to convince anyone to vote democrat.

I'm going to vote but I'm not going to campaign or do anything for someone like buttigieg.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Gyges posted:

If the media didn't have a couple of extra days to gently caress around on Iowa, they story would have been that Bernie won. Pete and his crew would have tried to point to the State Delegates, but nobody would have given a poo poo. It was only after everyone had a few hours to marinate on the 62% of votes released earlier that the media started caring about the SDE numbers.

Now, I don't think they poo poo the bed Monday just to give Pete a narrative. That was decades of their fudging numbers coming back to bite them in the rear end once they finally got dragged into reporting all the steps. The app failing was an unrelated failson level grift that went bad.

Once everything went tits up though, loving Sanders out of the narrative bounce from an Iowa win was definitely part of their reason for slow walking the numbers. Yes, they're also triple checking everything and trying to unfuck areas where the Final Alignment went bad. However slow walking everything has the side benefit to them of hurting Bernie.

The fact that it's take all these decades to get some sort of actual reported paper trail for the Iowa Caucuses is ridiculous. How badly they've hosed it up is just evidence of decades of dishonesty.

If you absolutely have to have a caucus, then there's only one reasonable way to do it. Ranked choice voting available under normal election timelines, i.e. all day of the election with absentee/early voting options. You still have your little meeting, and you can even still have people do little speeches before the attendees fill out their own ballots. Then your meeting can go ahead and talk about whatever local business they want. Sorry, but your state convention doesn't get to do anything at all about the convention delegates. Pulling a Ron Paul is stupid, and you should feel bad for ever considering a system that would allow it to happen.

This is exactly what I think. I really don't think there was any conspiracy and calling Mayor Pete a rat is kinda self defeating. Yeah he is a horrible candidate that offers nothing but platitudes and but I don't think he is deserving of being called a rat.

I think this all boils down to an inept party machine and a MSM that will do anything they can to stop the one candidate that wants drastic systemic change that may effect their power and bottom line. Nothing more nothing less.

Should they do away with this caucus and just do ranked choice voting now that we have better technology. By all means.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

There is not much we can do about Iowa at this point. We can only set the record straight if it comes up in conversation and send emails and tweets to the major networks to show them that they are wrong.

We need to start focusing on NH. I have a couple questions.

Do you think this type of debacle could happen there? If so is there goons in NH that could keep us up to date?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

a liberal friend i've been trying to convert to glorious communism literally told me that "black people are the most reliable Dem voters" so it wasn't a big deal that Pete had zero PoC support and that we should be chasing after the moderate republicans instead

liberalism is a brain disease

This. Moderate republicans are going to vote for the republican not republican-lite. There are a lot of votes they are leaving on the table not moving to the left. Could you imagine how many younger people they could get involved if they just tailored their campaigns around appealing to progressives that are younger? The fact that the Democratic party has gone full wall street/corporate shill mode has really damaged the party but the fact there really is no reasonable alternative makes me feel like I have a gun to my head when I'm in the voting booth. They might as well change their slogan to "Have you seen the other guy." The party needs to stop signal boosting the center right politicians and putting them in places of power because there needs to be a compromise if this is truly a big tent party. Moving further to the right has allowed the republicans to become this crazy death cult hell bent on taking everything they can from the poor and middle class and giving it the rich or dropping it as bombs on brown people (the center right dems also want to do this mind you). I think this is one of the reasons that people are taking this election so seriously. We all know that this is not just an election for president but an election for fundamental change in the party and my lord we sure need it.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Xombie posted:

Ah yes, pushing the electorate further to the left and making far-right politicians non-viable by... getting Trump elected again. Surely the third time is a charm in 2024.

actually voting for the lesser of two evils shows the donors that run the democratic party just how far they can push it and you will always get a person that is just slightly better than the republican yet not good enough to meet any of your needs.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

joepinetree posted:

Anyone who is deeply concerned about children in cages, drone strikes, and all the suffering the Trump administration has caused should be really going all out for the only candidate to want to abolish ICE, cut the military budget and withdraw support for Latin American fascists. If these things really matter to you, they should matter in the primary most of all.

are you telling me I should support buttigieg?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

nelson posted:

I don’t care if someone is Bernie or Bust as long as they actually vote and vote specifically down ticket.

This is a census year. Redistricting in many areas could determine house and state legislative majorities for a good part of this decade.

I am going to vote downticket. If bernie loses the nomination legitimately i'll vote for the candidate. If they screw him I'm done with this party and checking out of politics because that will be the final act that shows me that there is no point and it will only get better for the elites while it gets worse for me and my family.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

reignonyourparade posted:

Coin flips or drawing lots or whatever really aren't terribly uncommon when it comes to ties in elections. Caucuses just have a lot of really small elections which gives a lot of opportunities for ties. The ACTUAL meaningful results they aren't very likely to actually make any difference to because they're just a few delegate out of a couple thousand.

they really should settle ties with a game of twister, or magic or something. Maybe topple.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

kidkissinger posted:

that's why he's knocking! and do not worry, he will be crushed, inshallah.

I dont think we are going to get anything close to reasonable coverage for Bernie in this media landscape. One great thing that is coming from this election regardless of if Bernie wins is it is showing a lot of people that may not be in the know about how the media operates how they manufacture consent.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

My step dad is a bloomberg supporter. Is there any videos I can show him that will show him just how horrible bloomberg is and how he literally has contempt for him because he is not a billionaire?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

PostNouveau posted:

It was a real scumbag move to declare victory with 0% of the vote in. People are calling this "cheating" are, at most, minorly incorrect.

I consider it cheating because it steals the bounce from the rightful winner. That bounce is actually pretty important to create momentum in the next couple elections. It also helps to shape the narrative. Now unfortunately the media is poised to talk only about buttigieg

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Nairbo posted:

Show him clips of Bloomberg endorsing Bush I. 2004, mention stop and frisk, mention the soda ban if he’s a personal liberty guy and mention that he’s a billionaire oligarch with absolutely no chance at beating Trump

Is he a general Democrat supporter or just a Bloomberg guy? That changes the dynamic.

As big of a punching bag Pete is for everyone, Bloomberg against Bernie is going to be an absolute cake walk to convince average voters. If your stepdad is a millionaire then there’s no convincing him but if he’s not let us know what his priorities are

he is not a millionaire. First of all he is just about to turn eighty in a couple months and he was raised in a poor family in philadelphia. I've tried to tell him about those things and he won't listen. He also won't listen when I tell him that he has no chance to win the primary and if he does it was through trickery. It is honestly just making me said that he could be hoodwinked in such a way because he watches the view.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Pook Good Mook posted:

Based on reporting the order of events seems to be:

1) Pete called the IDP this morning complaining about the satellite caucuses and how they're allocating delegates, saying it's either not being done according to rules or the rules are unclear
2) IDP told him to gently caress off, it's being done the right way
2.5) We don't know this, but it's likely IDP and Pete had a discussion about recounting, Pete decides he doesn't want the optics of asking for a recanvas
3) Tom Perez "orders" a recanvas
4) IDP tells Perez to gently caress himself, only campaigns can ask for those. In any event, they are gonna finish the first count before they recanvas

Seems EXTREMELY likely to me that Pete pissed and moaned to the DNC and Perez decided to help his little buddy out. Everyone knows the person who asks for a recanvas looks bad but if the DNC asks for it, they can say that the IDP is more incompetent than they already are and push the blame on them for things that are actually the DNC's fault (using the app).

I have a feeling we are going to be in for a lot more fuckery down the line. Is there anything we can do about it other than donating money and helping the bernie campaign?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Solkanar512 posted:

Incompetence can be fixed by improving the system to ensure you don’t have untrained and unrehearsed people running a caucus, by supplying clear examples in the caucus rule book for handing out delegates. Or simply switched out to a mail-in primary. Malicious activity is a whole different can of worms. You’re also not accounting for the possibility of systemic issues either.

When a plane crashes, we care a great deal as to why do we can prevent it from happening again. There’s a massive difference between a crash caused by a surface to air missile (malice), one caused by faulty repairs (incompetence) or one caused by previously unknown fatigue issues (could be a mix of the two with a dash of “no one had any idea”). Each one of those situations results in a crashed plane but responding to them in the same way would only ensure that it happens again.

Another thing about having caucuses is that you cannot keep your vote private. Being seen voting for the "socialist" might change your standing in your small town or it could change the way your boss thinks about you.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

In all honesty and fairness I am worried about NH. We have a media empire that is hell bent on ensuring the best candidate doesn't get the nomination because the oligarchs that own it don't want any social change that actually favors the average person. That is a really powerful force to come up against. Am I wrong to be worried?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Skex posted:

You laugh but he is representative of a significant part of the electorate that actually has a history of voting, I've heard similar sentiments from my Boomer parents who frankly should know better but are so poisoned by lifetime of propaganda that their higher cognitive functions simply go offline.

The problem is that they are a part of a demographic that actually votes while the young people who Bernie needs to be elected tend to be disconnected from politics.

The most worrying thing about the caucus isn't the poo poo show with the crooked delegate math, it was that the youth vote that Sanders victory is contingent on didn't materialize.

Now one can make excuses about how it's a caucus and its not democratic however its a caucus and should have rewarded energy, organization and enthusiasm. The fact that it did not is not a good sign for Bernie.

There is a bad tendency of the Bernie or bust contingent that dominates this thread to overestimate the public and its ability to see through bullshit as well as an unhealthy amount of projection and confirmation bias in thinking that others perceive reality through the same lens that they do and dismiss evidence contrary to their desired outcome while being uncritical of evidence that supports it.

There is also a confusion on the distinction between analysis and advocacy which will be demonstrated in the responses to this post by the usual suspects.

This race is far from over and Mayo Pete is a far more viable candidate because he's a lovely collection of empty platitudes rather than in spite of it. Because the electorate is full of lovely people whose brains have been poisoned by the same propaganda that Matthews is the victim of.

Sanders candidacy and viability is based on the assumption that he can expand the electorate and bring in the historically disengaged. So far the evidence does not show that happening and all the crying about rat loving and rigging isn't helping because that poo poo tends to demoralize the very people who a Sanders victory is contingent on.

This is exactly why I am worried. We Bernie supporters tend to run in small circles so it seems like there is more support. The biggest reason I am worried is that the electorate is full of very stupid people that have been the victim of decades of "socialism bad" propaganda and these people vote. I know I should try to be positive but I really am kind of sick of getting my hopes up and being let down when it comes to national politics. I just need to keep thinking about Virginia and realizing it is possible and that if I want it I have to do it.

Edit: My natural state is worried. I just know that this election is so incredibly important and if it fails we are in for a world of hurt. 4 years of a completely unaccountable trump is pretty much going to be really hard to come back from and I know that if biden, butt, or Klobuchar get the nomination they will lose.

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 8, 2020

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Groovelord Neato posted:

At the time he was exploring a run and Pete is a totally media-manufactured candidate who wasn't on anyone's radar. It was their pre-primary power rankings and it's funny because it was dumb as poo poo even at the time they made it.

This is the thing about having such a horrible corporate media that favors the elites in addition to an electorate that isn't intellectually curious. It makes it so someone that just spouts meaningless platitudes like Mayor McCheese here can really gain a decent amount of traction and put up a fight event thought the smallest amount of scrutiny shows he is owned by billionaires.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Cowcaster posted:

absolute ratfucking

I invisioned a magazine ad with an absolut vodka bottle with a rat eating cheese on it.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I have a sneaking suspicion that Bloomberg is actually a republican trying to infiltrate the Democrats and drive the party further right. All of his policies are basically 80's republican policies.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

These people are not "Pro-life". They are just pro punishment for women. They aren't out there helping mothers and they drat sure aren't adopting all the kids that need homes. The only reason I would have a coalition with these people is to teach them the right way to think about the issue.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

gently caress yeah. Im watching that too. Nomiki Konst is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

How the hell does Sanders win both primaries but have less delegates? This system is so freaking stupid.