Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Berine's gonna win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I have a small weekly set up but I just kicked in another $50. More money for the Bernard.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whoops just sent another $70!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hahaha, nothing to see here, no sir!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Bernie is doing a rally during Trump's SOTU on tuesday. In related news I love Bernie.

Amazing. I love it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah this would be an easier ride if the good candidate was either polling 2nd to last or double digits ahead of others.

I suppose that's kind of what people thought was happening in 2016 though and that complacency probably had a real impact in the results so the upside of close polling is maybe we're all scared shitless into doing whatever needs to be done.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Reminds me of that town that 'sponsored' the unwanted Nazi march rally by pledging X amount of money to charities for every mile the march went on.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Grouchio posted:

50 Minutes till ALL of the Caucuses start OH BOY!

Wait, I thought they started at 8pm ET?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mainwaring posted:

God the UK election in December really broke me, I'm Arzying like crazy all of a sudden

Same, man. It's gonna be a white-knuckle evening for me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

gandlethorpe posted:

Listening to AM radio on a whim while getting my lunch, and it's wild. Some lady calling in from the rich part of my county going on a rant that Bernie will bring about communism and nobody will be able to have fast food. Hope I can find a recording of that somewhere.

Sounds awesome, let's goooo

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What a strange and terrifying system to watch.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It feels fitting that they have a lot of these at high schools.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sinistral posted:

Looking grim for Bernie at my caucus. Rural Iowa lives Pete I guess.

I legit appreciate the folks posting from their precincts. I'm still not gonna exhale until it's called, bit I appreciate y'all going out and caucusing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If Biden goes down I bet Bloomberg goes up a ton.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah I'm nervous this side of things is getting under reported. I'm just so used to disappointing election nights. Won't be long now though!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GoodluckJonathan posted:

oh my god this is excruciating

Agreed I hate it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Ahhh, there we go. There's the disappointment.

My old friend.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

queeb posted:

note there's like 1800 precincts so this is gonna be a freggin rollercoaster

I hope it's the kind with cool loops and chill banked curves and not the kind where I sit next to the heavy set guy and the lap bar won't close down all the way..

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bloody Pom posted:

Inshallah.

The people arzying already need to go take a fuckin nap, drat.

You ain't wrong. This is the first time ever following a primary, nevermind a single state's caucus and even outside of politics I'm prone to bouts of optimism followed quickly by anxiety. Thanks for putting up with me, all.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That's because the caucus system appears to be mostly chaos with massive victories and massive defeats depending on what street you live on or whatever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

y'all what if bernie wins

I would like that. It would be nice. I'm gonna have to put this thread down for a while though. I can't really handle the ups and downs with only 2% reporting or whatever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

LOL America please don’t do app voting.

We just wanted a little app voting. For a treat. :(

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I like the recursive voting day laws scenario. They should do it.

One state would have to break their law and then the whole state would have to go to jail.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

A majority is 50% + 1!

:argh:

5 rounds up to 10 :smug:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Post some screenshots of the actual app then, jesus.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sweet! Thanks.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This stream is sweet because every 20 seconds it makes him sound like a robot. It makes it feel even more dystopian.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bernie isn't out there preaching action months after a heart attack so we can sit here and cry about unknown and far-fetched hypotheticals.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Did my texting team training that I've been meaning to do. https://berniesanders.com/volunteer/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Citizen Climate Lobby. https://citizensclimatelobby.org/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

The likelihood that Bernie wins is very high.
The likelihood that he wins without any convention drama is low.

You guys who are this worried about one state that's mostly white people in corn fields need to sit down, because it's a long ride.

Yeah, the primary is looking like it's going to be a long road, and the general is of course going to be super obnoxious, and if things go poorly, we still have to show up and fight for what's right regardless. There's no scenario that doesn't involve long-term hard work and hanging out in here wringing each other's necks isn't going to save people's lives and it's just gonna stress you out on an hourly basis until you're spent.

I'm getting therapy and I'm trying to get my head straight so I can be useful. If we sink, we ALL sink together, but I'm at least gonna do what I can to move The Needle instead of just watch it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

$50 more for Bernie to celebrate him winning Iowa.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Beginning? You've been nothing but :smith: in here for an eternity. Listen to the facts one last time and then go outside for gently caress's sake: Sanders won at least the popular vote in Iowa. He is leading polls. Butt is dead outside the snow-white states. Despair serves the enemy.

This applies to all you weak-willed Chicken Littles catastrophizing over a little hitch at the beginning of a long game. Go outside.

Genuinely appreciative of posts like these. Thanks.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Reminder to toss a coin to your Sanders if you thought he did good tonight!

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/bernie-february-donate/?refcode=tw200207-debat

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Signed up to take the Bernie Bus from SLC to Las Vegas to work a Saturday in a couple weeks. I hate politics because they stress me out and I lived a charmed life where I happily ignored them through the Obama years. Now I'm all in for this poo poo.

If stupid still happens I can at least stand up and say I tried.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Green New Deal seems like it would essentially accomplish a similar goal but in an actually useful and non-gross way..

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm assuming that the GOP will continue their plummet into nationalism now that that genie is out of the bottle.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I tend to think that on a face-to-face or even local level that there's something to the "honey beats vinegar" approach. Most people just want to be heard and understood and I think most people are much more pliable in their beliefs than the current climate suggests. It's true that Bernie's platform has much to offer everyone and it's valuable to find ways to communicate and show that without alienating.

On the scale of a broader movement and a national stage, though, I think it's important to call out behavior and conniving for what it is otherwise it does a lot more damage.

I tend to ignore the tribalism stuff like snake emojis and the like because there be dragons and it's difficult to predict if stuff like that will help or hurt, but on the other hand I think that stuff like that has always been around to some degree and that's just the new rules of engagement now.

I don't like tribalism and I think it's genuinely harmful to the goals of humanity, but where the decorum discussion usually goes is to silencing the voices of the powerless who are in genuine danger and won't be heard through "decorum" means. Until we as a society are addressing the most egregious of harms then we kind of need to call a rat a rat or else those rats are going to take the board and then finger wag at anyone who shouts at them.

mutata fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 9, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

While I don't necessarily disagree, it's important to keep the events of the Iowa caucus relevant, or at least fresh in our memories. We must maintain the narrative of the corruption within our power system, because knowledge of that corruption makes it more difficult to steal the nomination without recourse.

That said, Bernie himself must remain above the fray. His likability is a very big selling point for a liberal voting base obsessed with image.

When it comes to actually trying to convince people to vote for Bernie, it's best to avoid the topic altogether and stick to the talking points about material conditions: Healthcare, wages, climate change, etc. They are meaningful and relevant to absolutely everyone.

Yeah this makes sense to me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bad polls? :mad: Time to get to work; donate to Bernie! Good polls? :) Time to get to work; donate to Bernie!

Edit: Unless polls are WAY off (possible), I think Bloomy is gonna be the final boss this go around.