Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hey all, decided to go ahead and make a separate thread for the upcoming Australian Survivor All Stars season! The new season is starting up next week with three 90 minute episodes, running on February 3rd, 4th, & 5th!

Takes a bit more of a time investment than US Survivor, but has improved quite a bit of the last 4 seasons of 10Play running this series! Truly in a lot of ways, the show has been at least up to par with US Survivor, but with have more episodes and longer episodes, you get a lot more of the Survivor experience. Anyway, on to the all stars. Hard to find and steal a write up for most of the players, so we are just gonna put the players their occupation and season they were on!

Notably though, they are bringing back Jericho Malabonga & Shane Gould, winners of Seasons 2 & 3 respectively to play again!

Also it's worth noting that they pulled 24 all stars out of a pool of 4 seasons, 1 of which had a returning player and also Russell Hantz, so realistically their player pool to pick all stars from was only 94 people. So somebody like Tarzan who was the 4th Survivor voted out is coming back to play again!

Here are the All Star castaways!

Abbey Holmes (Season 4) - AFL Premiership Winner

Aaron ‘AK’ Knight (Season 2) - Wedding DJ

Brooke Jowett (Season 1) - Sales Executive

Daisy Richardson (Season 4) - Travel Agent

David Genat (Season 4) - International Model

Felicity “Flick” Egginton (Season 1) - Personal Assistant

Harry Hills (Season 4) - Ice Cream Maker

Henry Nicholson (Season 2) - Labourer

Jacqui Patterson (Season 2) - Wedding Celebrant

Jericho Malabonga (Season 2 Winner) - Flight Attendant

John Eastoe (Season 4) - Gold Miner

Lee Carseldine (Season 1) - Former Pro Cricketer

Locky Gilbert (Season 2) - Adventure Guide

Lydia Lassila (Season 3) - Olympic Freestyle Skier

Mat Rogers (Season 3) - Dual Code Rugby Legend

Mark “Tarzan” Herlaar (Season 2) - Lime Farmer

Michelle Dougan (Season 2) - Nanny

Moana Hope (Season 3) - AFLW Player

Nick Iadanza (Season 1) - High School Teacher

Phoebe Timmins (Season 1) - Criminal Lawyer

Shane Gould (Season 3 Winner) - Olympic Swimming Legend

Sharn Coombs (Season 3) - Criminal Barrister

Shonee Fairfax (Season 3) - Pro Skater's Wife

Zach Kozyrski (Season 3) - Personal Trainer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Thank you for making this! Not sure I’m going to be able keep up with the episodes but I’m very excited nonetheless.

The ads so far have been bizarre. A lot of the cast hasn’t even been shown once. Wonder if there’s any logic to it or if was anyone that was available for additional shoots.

Rooting for a David Shonee alliance!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Dugong posted:

Thank you for making this! Not sure I’m going to be able keep up with the episodes but I’m very excited nonetheless.

The ads so far have been bizarre. A lot of the cast hasn’t even been shown once. Wonder if there’s any logic to it or if was anyone that was available for additional shoots.

Rooting for a David Shonee alliance!

Yea they have been pretty weird with it. They only just recently (I think the beginning of the month) actually released the full cast for the All Stars season.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Just starting to watch the 1st episode now... and the production value in introducing all the All Stars is quite amazing. And very different then what US Survivor would ever do...

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Just give Shonee a spin off show Tenplay. The quotes she gives :love:

Also ——Henry—- at the first tribal council was just perfection. Good idea from production.

These tribe divisions are pretty mad. Lee v Nick in same tribe, Shane v Lydia on the same tribe, Flick v Brooke, etc.

Dugong fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 4, 2020

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Dugong posted:

These tribe divisions are pretty mad. Lee v Nick in same tribe, Shane v Lydia on the same tribe, Flick v Brooke, etc.

Considering they had their names on the buffs at the start, this was definitely intentional on their part!

Also, here's a pretty cool photo from the first episode, spoilers because it's pretty much gives away the winning tribe and the targets.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That last shot of the intro seems... pretty spoiler-y.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty ballsy to sit at your tribes first Tribal and say your vote is still not decided...

2 good challenges in episode 2 also. Good old bean bag land on barrel end, but the whole challenge is moving the 6 barrels to the end.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Episode two felt a lot stronger to me. The Dalmatian chat at the start was just perfect and I have my fingers crossed for the naughty kids alliance.

Yeah I thought the undecided comment was really bizarre and automatically placed them at the bottom of the alliance.

I also can’t believe how keen everyone is to work with David. I guess it depends on how much they got to see of the last season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I strongly recommend watching episode 3 for those U.S. people still on the fence.

It's got some hilarious camp life, some fantastic and tense challenges, and a very good tribal.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Dugong posted:

I also can’t believe how keen everyone is to work with David. I guess it depends on how much they got to see of the last season.

I believe they most likely were able would have been able to show the Survivors all of season 4 prior to going out on All Stars.

As the Champions vs Contenders 2 season ended filming in June 2019 and then aired from July-September. And this All Stars season started filming in Late August.

David just seems like an instantly likable guy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I believe they most likely were able would have been able to show the Survivors all of season 4 prior to going out on All Stars.

As the Champions vs Contenders 2 season ended filming in June 2019 and then aired from July-September. And this All Stars season started filming in Late August.

David just seems like an instantly likable guy.

Apparently they managed to watch up til right around merge before filming started.

The S4 contestants had to reveal how far they got to the other cast members to make things fair (so they know that Harry got 3rd, for instance), but any other details were up to them.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Episode three was insanity. This cast is just crazy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ApplesandOranges posted:

I strongly recommend watching episode 3 for those U.S. people still on the fence.

It's got some hilarious camp life, some fantastic and tense challenges, and a very good tribal.

(Episode 3 tribal)

It's so weird, not only was the tribal exciting and interesting... there was also not any tricks or twists to the editing on it. Like the David & Mat plan was exactly where actually happened

Pretty confident this will be the better than US Survivor 40 at this point...

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I can't stop thinking about last nights episode. Even rewatched it this morning. Just amazing.

One thing that did bum me out today, was the news out of that wrestling challenge. Zach blew his MCL and Phoebe got 2 fractured vertibrae in her neck and needed knee surgery once the season finished. I'm going to cringe every time I see those two compete in challenges from here on out.

Not to mention the fact that every contestant has chunks of their knees missing. Seriously, go and look at all the confessionals from the last two episodes (and also Lee's knee goop scene). You'd think the production team would know why the US doesn't have Schmergenbrawl anymore.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The RHAP recap for Week 1 is out.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Yeah the immunity challenge was far too much. Aus always has more extreme challenges but the contact ones are just too much.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Really with US Survivor would take the entire tribe endurance immunity challenges. Those have literally always been entertaining to watch.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

(Episode 3 tribal)

It's so weird, not only was the tribal exciting and interesting... there was also not any tricks or twists to the editing on it. Like the David & Mat plan was exactly where actually happened

Pretty confident this will be the better than US Survivor 40 at this point...
I really liked that move from David. It might not work out, there's risks, but as a big threatening target, the more connections he can make, and the more people like Mat he can keep around, the better. Really hope he lasts for a long time this game.

Looten Plunder posted:

One thing that did bum me out today, was the news out of that wrestling challenge. Zach blew his MCL and Phoebe got 2 fractured vertibrae in her neck and needed knee surgery once the season finished. I'm going to cringe every time I see those two compete in challenges from here on out.
drat, I was wincing throughout that challenge but thought they escaped it without any serious injuries.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

[Episode 5, just reward spoiler]

The looks from Locke's tribe when Jonathan asked the tribe who they would like to send to the reward was quite interesting. Not sure if much will come from it or not. Since they told the tribe it had to be used for the 2 that got it on the reward...

Also it's been a really fun first 5 episodes of the season. Gonna be a lot of Survivor to watch tomorrow night though with a 2 hour US premier and a 90 minute Aus Survivor to digest.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Why can't they just cast 26 people instead of doing these dumb loving non-elim twists? None of the fans like them (casuals included), JLP doesn't like them, just stop doing them!

Has Flick had a confessional yet?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Looten Plunder posted:

Why can't they just cast 26 people instead of doing these dumb loving non-elim twists? None of the fans like them (casuals included), JLP doesn't like them, just stop doing them!

Has Flick had a confessional yet?

That's just standard Survivor Australia twists. You know it's gonna be there and it's gonna come up.

The real hosed up part is them allowing the domino challenge win with it seems a couple dominos just fell on their own lol.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The real hosed up part is them allowing the domino challenge win with it seems a couple dominos just fell on their own lol.

They fell on their own because it was the swing platform the dominoes were sitting on just crashing into the next one that made the ones on the second platform topple. Ridiculous.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I'm still behind, but something that hit me in EP 3 is that these people have a lot of changes of clothes.

Also repeating what others have said 1000x, these challenges are so much better. The US editing really seems to consider the challenges an afterthought. But the AUS challenges are more interesting to watch, and the longer format lends well to it.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Looten Plunder posted:

They fell on their own because it was the swing platform the dominoes were sitting on just crashing into the next one that made the ones on the second platform topple. Ridiculous.

Glad I’m not the only one that saw that. Weird that they picked that shot when it was pretty clear the dominos didn’t knock each other over.

And there’s the exile twist no one wanted. At least tell them before tribal.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Australian Survivor challenges get too physical in more ways than just one. Not only did people apparently get hurt from that schmergenbrawl one, but just look at the Henry/Shonee showdown for more evidence of how much physicality is playing into the rest of the game.

First tribal, Henry tries to throw the obvious vote from Shane onto Harry against the will of the tribe.
Next tribal, Henry tries to throw the vote from Michelle onto Sharn for some reason, rankling the tribe again.
Before the next tribal, everyone finds out he gave an idol to Mat without telling anyone.

He really couldn't be more disruptive unless he was dumping out the rice. But people just go, well, we need him in challenges, he can do anything he wants. And that's not even really illogical for much of the tribe, because brute strength and physicality enter into everything so much. Shonee only outlasted him because she had an idol! And Michelle had no chance, solely because she was a woman yet not a professional athlete. Part of this can be pinned on the players on that tribe, but if you're in the top two thirds of the tribe in challenge ability it actually does make sense.

I'm enjoying watching Nick but I'm pretty down on his play so far. He's been far too clearly attached at the hip to Shonee, to the point that it seems getting to keep playing with Shonee is basically winning for him. And that move against Zach... Like, I'm with you on keeping the tribe united and if he's the one guy everyone can agree on, then it may make sense to stab him even if Zach is willing to come over to Nick's side.

But... This tribe just tried to vote out Shonee over Henry. You already know they're a bunch of athletes who only care about challenge strength. You're kidding yourself to think they'd vote out Zach of all people right now. Zach actually was willing to vote on something other than challenge strength and Nick seemingly took the one chance the non-athletes had to assert control and tanked it. Now, given the twist, it wouldn't have really mattered anyway. Nevertheless, wtf

Looten Plunder posted:

That dumb tribe thought it was a good move to whip the first domino down, as if you needed extra force to keep the dominoes falling, and hell I guess it worked

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 14, 2020

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

I'm enjoying watching Nick but I'm pretty down on his play so far. He's been far too clearly attached at the hip to Shonee, to the point that it seems getting to keep playing with Shonee is basically winning for him. And that move against Zach... Like, I'm with you on keeping the tribe united and if he's the one guy everyone can agree on, then it may make sense to stab him even if Zach is willing to come over to Nick's side.

But... This tribe just tried to vote out Shonee over Henry. You already know they're a bunch of athletes who only care about challenge strength. You're kidding yourself to think they'd vote out Zach of all people right now. Zach actually was willing to vote on something other than challenge strength and Nick seemingly took the one chance the non-athletes had to assert control and tanked it. Now, given the twist, it wouldn't have really mattered anyway. Nevertheless, wtf

You've been played by the edit here. Nick has clarified on Insta/Twitter

John was the initial target, not Zach. Sharn backed out of the plan to vote John about an hour before tribal (she is super tight with Lydia) so 4 votes was no longer enough to get him
He thought he could still appeal to the others to get Zach out as he had zero connections. Libby did vote with Nick and Co. last tribal to get out Henry so they aren't as blindly "athetes/strength" as you think and he thought he could appeal to John as well, being that he was the target otherwise.
Henry said he was going to vote Shonnee now that Sharn was out on the plan, so the vote was now 6-2-1
In the chaos of the twist announcement, he overheard Sharn say she was switching her vote to Zach to guarantee she doesn't get second most votes.
Because Nick new that Shonee was guaranteed gone, he switched to Zach to reduce the amount of blowback at camp in anticipation of the swap.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

18 player tribal, that must have taken them a while to have Jonathan ask all the questions and do the vote. That's like an entire US Survivor cast going to tribal council. :smug:

Of course if you pay attention to any of Survivor Australia, you know any special tribal councils have some sort of fake out twist

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 19, 2020

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there is no way the majority of the cast didn't know that was going to happen.

I think that's it for non-elim tribal twists too. Sooo glad they got them out of the way early on

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Oh my god the auction was so good and it needs to return in America with the pooled tribe money. Admit defeat and make it 100% clear there are no advantages. It's such a great poo poo stirring challenge.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Oh my god the auction was so good and it needs to return in America with the pooled tribe money. Admit defeat and make it 100% clear there are no advantages. It's such a great poo poo stirring challenge.

It helps that it was so early on as well. I'm not even conviced people would hold out for advantages this day and age unless their backs were completely against the wall (which being early on, reduces the chances of). Getting an advantage/idol otherwise would just paint a massive target on your back.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, the pooled money premerge tribe auction is a very good idea and worked out pretty well.

I also find it interesting the Brooke & Flick ended up in the same alliance again. Even if at least the edit is showing them not necessarily working together as much.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

That auction was a just perfection. Bring it back Jeff you coward.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The cake shop reward was great TV. Sack lunches with a trinket from home were also good rewards. Probst needs to steal so much from this show.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

What cracks me up about it, all the infrastructure is in the same locale. Hell they might be on the same island, production sharing resources "between" seasons (Aus has camp for four months, US for two). I can easily see a scenario where the camp manager (production camp) calls their foreign counterpart and asks "can we borrow your yellow and green #3 ramps?"

I'm sticking to the US challenges being weaker/boring to to the combo of a) us production thinks challenges aren't that interesting, focus on social game and b) health and safety in a more litigious country. More than half of the Aus challenges I look at and say, "not anymore, in modern US survivor."

Obviously I'm talking about the physical challenges. Not cake shack rewards. Though maybe CBS gets a lot of ad buys from an anti-diabetes foundation.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They constantly tinker with the jury and elimination format but challenges are largely unchanged.

Some of the Australian challenges seem too grueling for American Survivor (smashing through the sticks was insane) but stuff like the patty cake balance bridge this week or footsie to hold up a weight are in line with American endurance and size balanced challenges. Even the team weight holding challenge from a few weeks back was reasonable.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's a nice twist mixing the surprise we aren't voting anyone out at this tribal nonsense into an actual advantage for someone in the game...

Having a sword for the tribe immunity idol is pretty badass.

Also, Ironman David is the best. Also considering I believe he does at least some work in NYC and he's the type of Model / Actor US Survivor should be getting instead of the idiots they have done in the past... get this fucker on US Survivor.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 2, 2020

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jonathan's challenge commentary on the reward challenge from Monday's episode is on point. He's just laughing at everyone trying to get up the pole.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Jonathan “Bring it in guys” compilation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Devastated to find out this was not the title and premise of an entire series but only a description for a talk show doing the spooky animals bit.