Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Guavanaut posted:

:siren:Do Not Post In This Thread::siren:
  • Pissflaps

Is Pissflaps allowed now? is this a consequence of Brexit??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Farecoal posted:

Is Pissflaps allowed now? is this a consequence of Brexit??

he's permabanned, so he can't even post if he wanted to

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got ASDA to deliver the shopping today and it wasn't even a Mad Max driver (but they did substitue my gammon steak, bastards).

Now if the pound would crash a bit I could transfer funds from Aus that I've put on hold. It's hard to pick the right time though because the sods out there are running the dollar into the ground as well.

I wonder if anyone has been tracking all the predictions from the last 3 years. We could do with a web site to keep score of the fallout.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So Brexit is officially underway, huh. Has anything happened yet? Any markets crashing?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Grouchio posted:

So Brexit is officially underway, huh. Has anything happened yet? Any markets crashing?
Nothing so far apart from a huge rise in reported cases of dipshits wandering into UKMT to ask if we have any tragedy they can rubberneck at :v:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cre0in5n-1E

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1223365976797995008?s=20

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

duckmaster posted:

Just got told by a ‘farmers daughter’ (an actual way in which people describe themselves in rural farming areas) that is vegans (of which I am one) are destroying the british agricultural industry so I went on a completely ad-libbed three minute rant about how the tories now have free reign to gently caress over the last powerful union in the country (the NFU), the fact that we left the CAP which is the largest organisation in the word to try to keep farming produce at a competitive price to benefit the farmers and that every free trade agreement the US has entered into they’ve insisted on removing “country of origin” statements from packaging so once we’re trading with them even putting “British beef”on a package will be against the loving law.

Someone made a half arsed effort to call me out on not buying British beef but I pulled a Liz Truss and said that it was an absolute DISGRACE that we import 98% of our chickpeas

I mean the countries hosed but we might as well enjoy ourselves.

loving hell

I agree with you except on the union front I would argue the RMT and ASLEF are pretty handy. loving hell ASLEF managed to wangle their members at one company an extra two grand a year by agreeing a deal they didn't have to honour the other week.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I slept through the freedom explosion.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

This is a big day for people who currently feel like they're watching the run-up to world war 3.

Big days are not necessarily good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Grouchio posted:

Brexit happened at 11pm on a Friday so no, the markets haven't reacted. As you'd realise if you spent 1 nano-second thinking before posting but I assume your brain is so atrophied that even days of the week are too much for you to wrap your head around.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

I slept through the freedom explosion.

The curse is lifted then I see

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The gammons are just going to keep blaming the EU for all their problems even though we're not in it anymore aren't they?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Aphex- posted:

The gammons are just going to keep blaming the EU for all their problems even though we're not in it anymore aren't they?

Ah well now you see the EU are playing hard ball with us ("Unfair that they choose to look after their own interests instead of ours" crieth the Gammon in the wilderness).

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Aphex- posted:

Of course. If it's not barmy EU bananas regulations causing unsustainable immigration, or whatever kicked this whole thing off, it will be dastardly unreasonable EU not negotiating in good faith (i.e. not giving Britain all the benefits of being in the EU).

And if and when there is a deal, any problems will be blamed on its terms.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Went past Parliament around 9pm yesterday on the way back from work. It was about as surreal as expected.

There was a family with a few teenage sons, I assume? All the sons were wearing 3 piece suits and Union Jack ties and were completely, utterly shitfaced, one was holding onto the railing of Westminster bridge and wobbling so hard it seemed he might just fall over.

There was also an immense chap wearing an even larger flatcap walking a couple of bulldogs with his wife/girlfriend. Both were wearing flags on their backs and bulldogs were wearing Union Jack scarfs as well. A lady with a flag went past them and said: "Oh my, what amazing dogs! True British dogs!" in a voice I imagine when reading "uwu whats this ^^" copypastas.

There were more cops than there were during the heights of XR stuff happening. A few were in the process of having to listen to some agitated explanations from random guys in their 50s who looked like they've been talking for a while.

Some groups of people in Westminster station seemed to be lost and were asking for directions while standing about 10m away from the gates.

In general, the public seemed to consist of either people under 21 or over 50. I didn't see anybody non-white who didn't look like they 1. are returning or going to work, 2. already working, but I was only passing by and spent a grand total of 5 minutes there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aphex- posted:

David Davis has already blamed the people who stopped us leaving last March with No Deal for No Deal, because their efforts shortened the transition period. Apparently it's not in the government's power to extend that, while they refuse to use the extension they've already been granted.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pilchenstein posted:

Nothing so far apart from a huge rise in reported cases of dipshits wandering into UKMT to ask if we have any tragedy they can rubberneck at :v:

why're you reporting us? no rules on respecting brexit here, I checked

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Aphex- posted:

Only if brexit turns out to suck and they don't want the blame.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Will the markets really react that much though? We all knew this was coming since mid December so it’s not like a big shock to the system.

I expect the real shitshow will be toward the end of the year. Of course my expectations of the last election were catastrophically wrong so I could be talking bollocks as usual.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Pilchenstein posted:

Bloody immigrants.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Aphex- posted:

Take how long the tories have been blaming things on the Last Labour Government and multiply it by like, four

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nurmie posted:

In general, the public seemed to consist of either people under 21 or over 50.
This is also my general impression of left wing events so it could just be that millennials and late gen Xers are "oh I don't do politics" people.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

no pastries at lidl this morning

its begun :(

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ratjaculation posted:

no pastries at lidl this morning

its begun :(

Belgian buns, Viennese Whirls, Swiss rolls, all cease to be available now.

:hotpickle:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

The EU is going to be the enemy, though, simply because the default state of international trade is ludicrously vicious, and they're a massive, institutionally capitalist economic superpower right next door who we just torpedoed our relationship with. They're going to treat us like they treat African economies.
Perhaps we should join their union instead.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ultimately the collapse of the Lib Dems gives us a chance to rebuild the Blair-era coalition in the opposite direction - we can rely on London, Liverpool, etc to vote for us for at least another couple of elections so we need to reach back out to them (and to Scotland) with actual good policies, actively courting the Fubpee demographic can wait until we've got Bolsover back.

This reads like a pretty good prediction of the next few years, written in 2015. The problem is, despite it’s accuracy, the events it predicted have already happened; the liberal middle class tolerated Corbynism in 2017. But then ambiguity over Brexit lead to a short term Lib Dem revival that wasn’t quite over by polling day.

Realistically, in an increasingly geriatric country, to seriously contend elections Labour needs the votes of the majority of pretty much every group that works for a living.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Guavanaut posted:

Perhaps we should join their union instead.

what’s all this union talk? good luck at the reeducAtion camps fella

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Johntheduncan/status/1223180440162402304?s=19
Don't know if someone posted this yesterday but some of the angry replies are hilarious

e: https://twitter.com/Johntheduncan/status/1223181397973749761?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

radmonger posted:

This reads like a pretty good prediction of the next few years, written in 2015. The problem is, despite it’s accuracy, the events it predicted have already happened; the liberal middle class tolerated Corbynism in 2017. But then ambiguity over Brexit lead to a short term Lib Dem revival that wasn’t quite over by polling day.

Realistically, in an increasingly geriatric country, to seriously contend elections Labour needs the votes of the majority of pretty much every group that works for a living.

Lib Dems did not cost us meaningful amounts of votes in the vast majority of seats we lost. Stop looking at national numbers, or we're doomed to ever increasing majorities in zone 2 and third party status in parliament.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Belgian buns, Viennese Whirls, Swiss rolls, all cease to be available now.

:hotpickle:

Can't we just call them freedom pastries and tell our children they were personally invented by st george, who was born in england

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As long as we go back to drawing him as Palestinian rather than an Euro.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If you want to play Centrist Remainer Brexit bingo, THIS is the article for you!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-pointless-masochistic-ambition-history-done

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lib Dems did not cost us meaningful amounts of votes in the vast majority of seats we lost. Stop looking at national numbers, or we're doomed to ever increasing majorities in zone 2 and third party status in parliament.

I don't know how you can possibly say that. It's not just the people who voted Lib-Dem. There might be only a few dozen seats where you could add the Lib-Dem vote to the Labour vote and get a win. But that isn't even half the effect that the Lib-Dems had on the election. It's the people who saw the Lib-Dem attack lines and decided that they weren't going to vote at all, because Labour was the only possible non-tory option to win in their seat and Corbyn was a big racist brexiter. Attacking Labour depresses Labour turnout, and the Lib-Dems went all guns blazing on Labour, up and down the country.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angepain posted:

Can't we just call them freedom pastries and tell our children they were personally invented by st george, who was born in england

You've reminded me of the 'freedom fries' debacle from 2003.
When France refused to join the US (and UK) in bombing the crap out of millions of Iraqis for having the gall to have been born over oil fields, US renamed 'French fries' as 'Freedom fries'.

quote:

When reached for a statement by the Times, a French Embassy spokeswoman said, ''I wonder if it's worth a comment. Honestly. We are working these days on very, very serious issues of war and peace, life or death. We are not working on potatoes.'' She also noted that French fries are, in fact, Belgian.

source: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/61086/did-americans-really-call-french-fries-freedom-fries

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I was in spoons in Hammersmith at 11pm having completely forgot it was brexit day and I ended up sat next to a bunch of absolutely thrilled tory cunts who started cheering at 11pm, absolute specimens

Also on the way back from the loo some steaming guy yelled 'gently caress the pope' at me which was quite nostalgic for living in Glasgow but I don't have a single clue why or even why that would he a thing you'd say in London? I couldn't tell if I was meant to be insulted or meant to be like 'hell yeah gently caress the pope' or what so ?????

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

If you want to play Centrist Remainer Brexit bingo, THIS is the article for you!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-pointless-masochistic-ambition-history-done
Let me get my lucky pen.

ThomasPaine posted:

Also on the way back from the loo some steaming guy yelled 'gently caress the pope' at me which was quite nostalgic for living in Glasgow but I don't have a single clue why or even why that would he a thing you'd say in London? I couldn't tell if I was meant to be insulted or meant to be like 'hell yeah gently caress the pope' or what so ?????
Maybe he's an off duty bishop and was so drunk he thought you were 8.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had at least two separate people blearily yell "happy new year" at me in the street, between one and two weeks after new year's day, in the middle of the day.

Brits are a strange folk, sometimes they just yell things at you.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/paulhilder/status/1205598555097980928

note also that low/unenthusiastic turnout is also dangerous for Labour; it doesn't have to break Liberal to be problematic, as long as Con is strong enough to take the seat too

at a large level though, I struggle to see this strategy that retakes the 'red wall'; these places will continue to shrink and depopulate, and the young and educated will move to those new Labour strongholds in the cities, where they will vote in large numbers in party OMOV votes for leaders and policies that they support

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/1206646112184160258

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

ThomasPaine posted:

I was in spoons in Hammersmith at 11pm having completely forgot it was brexit day and I ended up sat next to a bunch of absolutely thrilled tory cunts who started cheering at 11pm, absolute specimens

He obviously though you were Irish (and he wasn't up to speed with the anti Catholic church sentiment that has been sweeping the country for a while. Or maybe he was and was expressing support?)