Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

That Italian Guy posted:

He obviously though you were Irish (and he wasn't up to speed with the anti Catholic church sentiment that has been sweeping the country for a while. Or maybe he was and was expressing support?)

Sure but why would you assume that of some random you've not spoken to and are just passing on the stairs in a pub lol

Also didn't realise anti-Irish sectarianism existed in London but you learn something every day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CapitalChambo/status/1223358614003486720

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

There's a long overdue constituency review to come aswell, which with the breaking of the Red wall won't actually be harmful to labour anymore.

If you watched the constituency results come in on election day, the narrative was clear - major losses in labour vote share mostly to the Brexit Party, and level or small gains to Tory vote share. The lib dems may have cost us two seats in London, but the election was lost out of shedding labour votes in the North - I don't think you can blame Lib Dem attack lines for most of those when many were switching to the Brexit Party.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
hey ol' ian weighs in cool

quote:

Finally, this year, the government shouldn’t forget the pledge it made to soldiers who served in Northern Ireland that there would be an end to their vexatious pursuit on historic cases. The reason I mention this is because now that the Stormont House Agreement is in place, the historic cases review will be activated. We cannot drag our feet on the promised legislation. Ex-soldiers fear getting caught up in legal “fishing expeditions” and I would urge ministers to act quickly to end those fears and restore the concept of natural justice as well.

natural justice to be restored. sounds both natural and just

quote:

after decades of heavy migration, around 1 million extra people every three years, too many businesses now fail to train or reskill their workforce. We need to bring migration under control, for the unprecedented scale has affected those on low incomes the most. In the UK today, of those that start life at entry-level work, under 20 per cent will rise above entry level – one of the worst figures in the developed world.

would those be 'worst figures' by being too low or too high? I'd agree with it either way of course

quote:

Trump has made it clear he believes we could achieve agreement on a significant number of areas before the end of the summer. It is vital we do this, not just to obtain leverage on the EU but more importantly because the US is our largest trading partner beyond the EU and is as keen as us to get something done, sector by sector if necessary.

Trump, attributed clarity and belief. this is heavy stuff--ian nailed this i think, no wonder every single one of you voted for him

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

ThomasPaine posted:

Sure but why would you assume that of some random you've not spoken to and are just passing on the stairs in a pub lol

Also didn't realise anti-Irish sectarianism existed in London but you learn something every day!

I mean, it was a joke, but you never know :v:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
HAY SO LIKE YOUR BREXIT THING HAPPENED IS ANYTHING HAPPENING YET :holy:

Aphex- posted:

The gammons are just going to keep blaming the EU for all their problems even though we're not in it anymore aren't they?

I really think that's what we'll be hearing for the rest of this year. It is very inevitable that we will get another dramatic no deal deadline showdown at the end of the year because the pattern is now very well established of the tories doing gently caress all but impotent sabre-rattling until they run out of negotiating time and duly capitulate to whatever the EU asked for as a starting point

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/paulhilder/status/1205598555097980928

note also that low/unenthusiastic turnout is also dangerous for Labour; it doesn't have to break Liberal to be problematic, as long as Con is strong enough to take the seat too

at a large level though, I struggle to see this strategy that retakes the 'red wall'; these places will continue to shrink and depopulate, and the young and educated will move to those new Labour strongholds in the cities, where they will vote in large numbers in party OMOV votes for leaders and policies that they support

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/1206646112184160258

The votes we lost to the Lib Dems were in Remain-voting seats which were and remain pretty safe Labour territory, melty places like Westminster and Richmond excluded. It cost us *at most* a dozen seats even if you include gains we might have expected to make like Two Cities.

The reason those towns in that table are depopulating and going Tory is because they've been abandoned by neoliberalism, and Brexit is just part of a pattern of betrayal of these areas that dates back 40 years (and, notably, was not even slightly reversed between 1997 and 2010), it just so happens that Brexit opened up the UKIP>Tory pipeline for people who otherwise would never have dreamed of voting not-Labour, accelerating the process somewhat. It's effectively gerrymandering on a grand scale, pushing people likely to vote Labour into seats that are already Labour (and into lifestyles that happen to suppress voter registration, reducing the impact of those seats), and if we don't have a cogent plan to reverse that trend then we will basically become the SNP with an Oyster Card.

That plan will lose us melts because it *will* require massive redistribution and maybe the slightest discomfort for the commentariat, and maybe we'll lose a few Zone 2 seats to the piss diamonds, but that is the only way under FPTP to regain power.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

crispix posted:

HAY SO LIKE YOUR BREXIT THING HAPPENED IS ANYTHING HAPPENING YET :holy:

I really think that's what we'll be hearing for the rest of this year. It is very inevitable that we will get another dramatic no deal deadline showdown at the end of the year because the pattern is now very well established of the tories doing gently caress all but impotent sabre-rattling until they run out of negotiating time and duly capitulate to whatever the EU asked for as a starting point

That’s a bit optimistic. Unfortunately I think it’s more likely, at this point, that we capitulate to everything the US demands as a gently caress you to the EU.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Hustings on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW3E-PZDALQ

Who the actual gently caress makes these stupid rules about 40 second answers. Hello yes, what we would like for this debate is to have it be the most loving superficial exercise possible, with no-one able to get in depth on any issues at all.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Regarde Aduck posted:

That’s a bit optimistic. Unfortunately I think it’s more likely, at this point, that we capitulate to everything the US demands as a gently caress you to the EU.

No. Everything is going to be okay really :tif:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
When Jess Phillips complained about the 40 second rule, Lisa Nandy said that it's the way of politics that you often do have to get ideas across swiftly and succinctly and I pretty much agree with her on that one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

Pres Sanders will demand the dissolution of the monarchy and state church. :bernin:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

This doesn't seem very accurate. Everyone knows Thatcher detonated a hydrogen bomb beneath Westminster in the 70's, resulting in the need for Corbyn to type numbers into a computer every two hours to delay Brexit.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I do feel a tiny bit more independent I guess? Life goes on, I'm sure one day we'll look back on this and laugh that we ever thought we really disagreed with each other. I think it's helpful to consider it in its proper context, the interconnectedness of life and the responsibilities we have to ourselves and to each other. it's a song which does not shy from dissonance, but we should never be surprised to hear it being resolved. the cadence might not be the one we expected, but we cannot, should not, resist consonance! it is the path to the tonic--if you permit, both in its musical and medical sense.

quote:

An official Dutch government account has shared a poll asking people if they will boycott British products and holidays after Brexit because the UK “no longer wants to belong”.

The Twitter post from the Netherlands’ Ministry of Finance suggested a boycott with the hashtags “Brexit” and “VRIJstelling” – which means “exemption” in Dutch.

“If the United Kingdom / England no longer wants to belong, I also no longer spend money on English products or holidays to England,” a translation of the post said.

The poll has since been deleted with no further comment from the account.

and thus the wheels turn. but how could any of us choose whether to belong, when we're all tumbling through space, huddled together on this speck of dirt careening through the galaxy? surely life is a tale not of choosing whether to belong, but of finding out that not only do you, everyone belongs, because we all belong together. hmm-mm, there's escape velocity from that warm embrace, it catches you even as you turn away--not to make demands but to accept.

ooh, ooh-la: thus is ever the human experience. as we hide it gently dismantles the defences we've built around ourselves--never to violate our individuality, only to remind us that the individual belongs in, and depends on, community! we shall not renounce but welcome.

i'll take my six hours now or whatever i might deserve

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The reason those towns in that table are depopulating and going Tory is because they've been abandoned by neoliberalism, and Brexit is just part of a pattern of betrayal of these areas that dates back 40 years (and, notably, was not even slightly reversed between 1997 and 2010), it just so happens that Brexit opened up the UKIP>Tory pipeline for people who otherwise would never have dreamed of voting not-Labour, accelerating the process somewhat. It's effectively gerrymandering on a grand scale, pushing people likely to vote Labour into seats that are already Labour (and into lifestyles that happen to suppress voter registration, reducing the impact of those seats), and if we don't have a cogent plan to reverse that trend then we will basically become the SNP with an Oyster Card.
Split Labour into the Urban Labour Party, that argues autonomy from the backwardness of rural areas, and the Towns and Workers Party, that argues for autonomy from cosmopolitan elites. The two won't compete for seats, and will coordinate their campaigns to maximize support for not only themselves but also their sister party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm remembering why I had you on ignore certainly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1223574358800642049?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

and if we don't have a cogent plan to reverse that trend then we will basically become the SNP with an Oyster Card.

The snp are way, way more successful than labour tho

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/paulhilder/status/1205598555097980928

note also that low/unenthusiastic turnout is also dangerous for Labour; it doesn't have to break Liberal to be problematic, as long as Con is strong enough to take the seat too

Im curious to be honest how much depressed turnout was simply due to the weather. We don't normally hold elections in the middle of winter, and in general depressed turnout tends to help the Tories/Brexit supporters.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh poo poo, it's the perfect storm for English moral panic fans, halal meth, coming to your schools soon.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Liz Truss is the gift that keeps on giving

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Watching leicester fans singing "gently caress the eu". I just can't escape.

:tif:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Im curious to be honest how much depressed turnout was simply due to the weather. We don't normally hold elections in the middle of winter, and in general depressed turnout tends to help the Tories/Brexit supporters.

Supposedly, statistics indicate that weather doesn't do much for turnout either way, though with counfounding factors in elections god knows how accurate that is.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

This, but with Boris 'saving the day' by signing over everything the UK has to the US.
Boris wants the limelight, to show how big of a leader he is. He won't care if the plebs get the dregs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the guy i go to the match with is the only brexiter i know who has ever given me an actual answer of why he voted for it. i think its a pretty dumb one, that he didn't get to vote on a lot of poo poo thats occurred since he voted to join the common market and is unhappy about it and disagrees with it, but its still an actual reason instead of "border control, control our own laws, trade agreements" that are then never elaborated on when asked about. he's aware it could go badly as well

coincidentally he's also the only one who has never gloated about it

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Shockingly, shops are still open and life continues.

I mean there were fireworks last night, it almost means they were meaningless.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

wonder if there will be a lot of horse meat and similar scandals now everyone knows the EU won't really give a poo poo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose posted:

wonder if there will be a lot of horse meat and similar scandals now everyone knows the EU won't really give a poo poo

In a few years we'll wish it was only horse.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Mutton Kebap 5£
Veal Kebap 6£
Kids Kebap 4£

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:yeshaha:

x

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The votes we lost to the Lib Dems were in Remain-voting seats which were and remain pretty safe Labour territory, melty places like Westminster and Richmond excluded. It cost us *at most* a dozen seats even if you include gains we might have expected to make like Two Cities.

That plan will lose us melts because it *will* require massive redistribution and maybe the slightest discomfort for the commentariat, and maybe we'll lose a few Zone 2 seats to the piss diamonds, but that is the only way under FPTP to regain power.

They were abandoned by the historical force of changes in the means of production; actually-existing command economies could not make labour-intensive heavy-industry towns sustainable and neither could the entire developed West in the decade before it turned to neoliberalism.

This distinction matters - Labour in 2020, like every other social democratic party for two generations, has no plan and no ideas for turning back that particular clock. The newdealiest of Green New Deals will not locate labour-intensive heavy industry work in the Bolsovers of England; its work will be neither labour-intensive nor, in the main, heavy. This aspect is well and fine nationally, but do not make for a bright future for small towns, and we all know it; if you were a young man (or woman), you would still emigrate for the cities; nothing in the Labour vision actually reverses that and there is much that encourages it (like... say... mayoral rent control)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Britain should have swapped it for some of the Canaries that are full of UK tourists and businesses anyway.

Or gone the full circle route of Gibraltar from UK to Spain, Ceuta and Melilla to Morocco, Western Sahara to SADR and Canarios, Canaries to UK.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

The snp are way, way more successful than labour tho

Labour have got 49 of 73 London seats (67%), the SNP have got 48 of 59 Scottish seats (81%), so they're ahead at the moment but I'm sure with some of the brain genius tactics being spouted we can win the 10 seats in London we need to put ourselves on parity. I mean the manifesto of "gently caress everyone not living within 3 miles of a gin bar" would probably have some ramifications elsewhere in the country but gently caress them, at least we'll have seen off that Lib Dem threat.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Only took 12 hours for the shine to come off this Brexit thing

quote:

Boris Johnson intends to impose full customs checks on all goods coming into the UK from the EU in a break with previous government policy, according to reports.

“We are planning full checks on all EU imports – export declarations, security declarations, animal health checks and all supermarket goods to pass through border inspection posts,” the Daily Telegraph reported a senior Whitehall source as saying. “This will double the practical challenge at the border in January 2021.”

x

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

They were abandoned by the historical force of changes in the means of production; actually-existing command economies could not make labour-intensive heavy-industry towns sustainable and neither could the entire developed West in the decade before it turned to neoliberalism.

This distinction matters - Labour in 2020, like every other social democratic party for two generations, has no plan and no ideas for turning back that particular clock. The newdealiest of Green New Deals will not locate labour-intensive heavy industry work in the Bolsovers of England; its work will be neither labour-intensive nor, in the main, heavy. This aspect is well and fine nationally, but do not make for a bright future for small towns, and we all know it; if you were a young man (or woman), you would still emigrate for the cities; nothing in the Labour vision actually reverses that and there is much that encourages it (like... say... mayoral rent control)
What if you don't like cities? I thought the whole idea of the eCommerce revolution was supposed to be that you could do the same job from London or Lubenham. That didn't turn into a reality, but it sounds more feasible than bringing back all the hitting pipes with hammers jobs or smashing the tractors so that the youth can bring in the harvest.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean the manifesto of "gently caress everyone not living within 3 miles of a gin bar" would probably have some ramifications elsewhere in the country but gently caress them, at least we'll have seen off that Lib Dem threat.
At least Leicester West would keep Liz Kendall :nutshot:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Very chill hustings today. At this point everyone seems to be mostly concerned with making the right noises to offend as few potential voters as possible. Can they really go another month without disagreeing with each other at all? I'd love to see something like the 2015 Iain Dale LBC show, with someone in charge who's willing to stir the pot a bit and ask some more confrontational questions to get them to define themselves in relation to each other.

Thornberry's going the foghorn-on-the-barricades route. "I can't follow that", says Nandy (who seems to be after "sensible adult in the room" and is making a decent fist of it) right after Thornberry gets done railing against land banking. Thornberry may not be able to win, but she may well be getting herself in position to play John "swim through vomit" McDonnell to a calmer stance from whoever does win. Starmer sounds like a real person, but unfortunately, that real person is a bit of a spongy nerd, and he may be doing his own legs by dropping in bits about "this is why we must be electable". RLB just sounds like Andy Burnham in 2015; her rhythm and cadence is exactly the same, and she doesn't seem to have much to say.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

We don't need a return to mass heavy industry because being born outside of the M25 doesn't make you a horny-handed Omega suited only to toil. Unless there's some magical field generated by red buses* there's no reason at all why tertiary-economy jobs can't be located in Bolsover with exactly the same kind of tax incentives as were used in the eighties in Docklands (if you want to keep in the neoliberal frame) or just taxing the poo poo out of brass-plates and investing that money directly in the area.

* Of course in a way there is - the GLC, in it's last big fight, keeping London Buses safe from most of the worst effects of deregulation is one of the things that prevented the London suburbs imploding in the same way many of the exurbs did. TfL - the direct descendant of that - is one of the big reasons why London can support any kind of economic activity at all, and even Johnson recognised that, accelerating the nationalisation and in-sourcing of the suburban rail lines (to create the Overground) and tube maintenance respectively that Livingstone started the moment he got back in to control of London's transport.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Supposedly, statistics indicate that weather doesn't do much for turnout either way, though with counfounding factors in elections god knows how accurate that is.

Our canvassing teams said it definitely dented their efforts - round here with it dark by 4pm (or earlier in the worst weather), noone opens their doors, and during the day time canvassing, working age people were out so it was mainly retired persons that they were speaking to and they (a) mostly vote tory, (b) do postal votes and get them in before the national tv etc campaigning gets started, (c) trust the BBC and tend to buy Daily Mail, Telegraph, and Sunday Times and were quoting tory talking points about Corbyn back at them.

We did intend to start campaigning early but without a manifesto and the relatively short campaign, it wasn't really possible.

And Welsh labour are useless and despite Wales being very heavily 'leave' got spooked by the MEP elections and went heavy remain.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 1, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

horny-handed Omega
Name change pls mods.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

* Of course in a way there is - the GLC, in it's last big fight, keeping London Buses safe from most of the worst effects of deregulation is one of the things that prevented the London suburbs imploding in the same way many of the exurbs did. TfL - the direct descendant of that - is one of the big reasons why London can support any kind of economic activity at all, and even Johnson recognised that, accelerating the nationalisation and in-sourcing of the suburban rail lines (to create the Overground) and tube maintenance respectively that Livingstone started the moment he got back in to control of London's transport.
This is partly why I think municipalism might work where where more, hem, national socialisms have failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Aphex- posted:

The gammons are just going to keep blaming the EU for all their problems even though we're not in it anymore aren't they?

I give it less than a year before we start seeing stories about the EU shipping refugees to Britain that THEY SHOULD BE TAKING (again).