Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If you want to play Centrist Remainer Brexit bingo, THIS is the article for you!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-pointless-masochistic-ambition-history-done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
When Jess Phillips complained about the 40 second rule, Lisa Nandy said that it's the way of politics that you often do have to get ideas across swiftly and succinctly and I pretty much agree with her on that one.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Eh, if we had a little Spanish enclave on the English coast filled with tax evaders and organised crime, I can't imagine we'd be too happy with that either.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Julio Cruz posted:

gonna assume you've never been to the Channel Islands

Yes but they're decent English tax evaders, not some filthy foreigners!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, from the reports, the reason he was stopped so quickly was that there were armed surveillance officers lurking in the vicinity and they confronted him as soon as he kicked off.

Given he'd been released from prison, there wasn't much more they could do.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

The cspam primary thread is going insane again, it's like a literal clownshow where the mainstream democrats keep hitting each other with a ladder.

I'm not very familiar with the minutiae of Democratic electoral procedures (I guess most people aren't) and can't work out whether it's conspiracy, stupidity or what.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Here's an article from the New Statesman asserting that Jeremy Corbyn is a racist and anti-semite because the author states that they are:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/02/labour-faces-painful-reckoning-those-who-enabled-corbynism-can-t-be-trusted-its

I read this garbage, so it's only fair that I inflict it on you guys too.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Josef bugman posted:

So, how long do you think it's going to be until the Tories have to start actually doing things?

Because they seem, weirdly, to not have done anything at all for a while and it's creeping me the gently caress out.

Boris and the Cabinet have realised that they don't need to actually do anything: they can just make announcements and that amounts to the same thing for the general public.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ThomasPaine posted:

I hate to say it but I have a horrible feeling that Boris Johnson understands power lol

He knows that a good deal more than half the battle is giving the consistent appearance of being strong, confident and decisive (you don't have to actually be any of these things). Keep a tight rein on the media narrative, ensure that every news programme includes a soundbite of you saying something snappy and Churchillian and to the average voter who doesn't pay much attention you become That Bloke Who Gets Things Done and a safe pair of hands to run the country. The people who pen those well-intentioned articles: "Boris Johnson is a liar: Here's why" don't get it: the people who oppose him already know that he's a liar; the people that support him don't really care.

This worries me about the Labour leadership candidates, they're all a bit too fond of trying to explain stuff, rather than relentlessly pushing the image of themselves as a strong, capable leader, which is frankly what really seems to matter in terms of getting elected. Johnson thumping the lectern and radiating cheery confidence vs a Labour leader who's constantly coming across as nervous, earnest and apologetic won't be a good contrast.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm thinking more of Labour's media appearances in recent years, where they've appeared perpetually over-wordy and defensive. Like Ronald Reagan once said: "If you're explaining, you're losing". I want to see them treating the media as the rigged game it is: a good dollop of Tory cynicism would actually do them the world of good here.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Comrade Fakename posted:

Looking at that Twitter feed, I don't think it's a parody account.

If it's a parody, it's a particularly committed one.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I just got a text from Keir Starmer saying: "Will you vote for me pls :kiddo:", so I guess lists of member's data are available to the candidates now, yes.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Now Angela Raynor's texting me! I feel so popular and in demand right now 🙂

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chuka Umana posted:

Caroline Flack killed herself .

Yeah, I saw the 'died suddenly' story with a suspicious lack of cause and assumed that was the case.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, you see people saying: "despite all these apologies, we're still getting accused of anti-semitism!" when I suspect it's really the case that because of all these apologies, Labour's still getting accused of anti-semitism. If at the start of all this, Labour had said loudly and firmly: "No we are not. gently caress off.", I honestly think the whole controversy would have gone away.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of which, the NSPCC is going hard against end to end encryption :eng99:

I'm not sure why it's so hard to convey "the mathematics that enables nonces to trade CAI is the same mathematics that stops them from perving on your internet baby monitor, and if the law bans it then only one of those two groups will obey it" but they've decided that you can selectively turn off maths for the police, who will always use that in the interest of child welfare.

"In the interest of public safety, every household must leave a key under a brick by their front door, so that the authorities can quickly gain access to their home if it's required. Don't worry, only the emergency services will be permitted to access the keys and it will be a criminal offence for anyone else to do so!"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't blair still tremendously unpopular with nearly everyone in the UK?

Yeah but in Adonis' circle of friends (who are obviously representative of the population as a whole), everyone thinks he's great!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Seeing the Sensible, Centrist, Silent-majority types going nuts that nobody listens to them or votes for their candidates any more is a continual small comfort in our current hell-society.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I think Cummings is getting the headlines because he's the one formulating ideas and pushing to get them put into action, while Boris just lazes around going: "Sure, whatever."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Does anyone here still have one of those 1970 baxi Bermuda back boilers

Every year i breathe a sigh of relief when we manage to fire it up for the winter

I've just had the one in my new house ripped out and replaced with a modern combi boiler. The 1st engineer that looked at it said it was corroded, leaking and clearly hadn't been serviced for donkeys years. I don't know how the family in the house before me avoided blowing themselves up/ gassing themselves.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Communist Thoughts posted:

good lord no, they're not going to actually do it

they're just gonna say they are and the media is gonna play along for 5/10 years

they could do it but they won't cause social spending is like acid to them

Yeah, I said earlier in the thread that the Johnson government is shaping up to be government by announcement: you control the daily news cycle by making some sort of eye-catching proclamation, deflect any questions about details, reap a round of positive headlines in the press and then do it all over again the next day. Nobody seems to notice or care that you're not following through on any of it and I guess you'd be able to cycle back to previous announcements once a few months have passed. I'm surprised nobody's thought of this before, it certainly seems to work a treat.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fans posted:

The cuts to farming assistance begin

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/payments-schemes/defra-confirms-reductions-in-support-for-farmers

Harsh as it is, it's really hard to feel sorry for the stupid fucks. It's only the start too, the intention is to phase it out completely by next year.

Don't worry if you're a Farmer it's being replaced by a vague promise of a new system, something that Tories have never hosed up before.

Abolish hill farming and let our uplands revert to forest imo.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Greta Thunberg's in Bristol tomorrow - I'll probably go along and see her speak. College Green 11am, if anyone's interested.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Perhaps I'll finally get to use my no-deal Brexit stash. A fortnight of rice and beans for every meal, woohoo!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

Do they still play My Generation as part of their set?

I think they stopped years ago 'cos it was getting a bit ridiculous.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

Lol if coronavirus causes a global recession right before we no deal brexit

Well, it's deffo looking that way after this week.

Also, I saw Greta Thunberg in Bristol today, by which I mean I stood around in the mud while it pissed down with rain for an hour and a half, then Greta rocked up and spoke for 4 minutes. It was... kinda inspiring, I guess. It was pretty funny to see the long series of preliminary speakers wibbling on with the crowd all applauding politely but visibly thinking: "Just get Greta onstage ffs, it's cold and I'm soaking wet!"

(Or maybe that was just me projecting.)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In all honesty, I fully expect those pics to be circulating on Facebook soon, with "Green hypocrisy!!!" Written all over then.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Private Speech posted:

I tried to watch a video of her speech on my phone (hence no adblock) and Bristol Post made me sit through two 30 second ads, first for an SUV and then for a leafblower :v:

I think the Post is owned by the same faceless conglomerate that's bought up most local newspapers and in consequence is utterly unreadable without ad and script blockers.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kin posted:

The advisor we're speaking to said he tried to look up comparable house prices and couldn't find anything concrete, but said he thinks our house has dropped in value by about 10k since 2 years ago (it's a new build in an estate that's not quite finished but all the houses have been snapped up).

What does a drop in value mean in real terms? Presumably we still have to pay back the sum of the initial value when we bought the place so if we go with a new provider we still pay the £x + 10,000 - [2 years of repayments] to them?

The drop is a bit of a surprise though. I haven't been following house prices, but like I said, the ones around me have all been snapped up and new builds are popping up just a 5/10 minute drive away at almost 60% higher prices (though they're different builders.

Eh, find a new advisor, or just do it yourself using a price comparison website. Remortgaging is much the same as car insurance: one place'll quote you £500, the next'll quote you £1,800 on exactly the same inputs. It all comes down to whatever algorithm they're using. Given the nationwide housing crisis, I highly doubt that your flat has 'dropped' by £10k in the last few years (Unless its got that Grenfell cladding or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, Boris is too lazy to negotiate, so come December he'll either sign up to everything the EU's demanded (and then claim he hasn't), or we'll crash out with a no-deal Brexit.

The fun part is, we have no idea which it's going to be!