Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pilchenstein posted:

Nothing so far apart from a huge rise in reported cases of dipshits wandering into UKMT to ask if we have any tragedy they can rubberneck at :v:

why're you reporting us? no rules on respecting brexit here, I checked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Aphex- posted:

The gammons are just going to keep blaming the EU for all their problems even though we're not in it anymore aren't they?

Only if brexit turns out to suck and they don't want the blame.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
hey ol' ian weighs in cool

quote:

Finally, this year, the government shouldn’t forget the pledge it made to soldiers who served in Northern Ireland that there would be an end to their vexatious pursuit on historic cases. The reason I mention this is because now that the Stormont House Agreement is in place, the historic cases review will be activated. We cannot drag our feet on the promised legislation. Ex-soldiers fear getting caught up in legal “fishing expeditions” and I would urge ministers to act quickly to end those fears and restore the concept of natural justice as well.

natural justice to be restored. sounds both natural and just

quote:

after decades of heavy migration, around 1 million extra people every three years, too many businesses now fail to train or reskill their workforce. We need to bring migration under control, for the unprecedented scale has affected those on low incomes the most. In the UK today, of those that start life at entry-level work, under 20 per cent will rise above entry level – one of the worst figures in the developed world.

would those be 'worst figures' by being too low or too high? I'd agree with it either way of course

quote:

Trump has made it clear he believes we could achieve agreement on a significant number of areas before the end of the summer. It is vital we do this, not just to obtain leverage on the EU but more importantly because the US is our largest trading partner beyond the EU and is as keen as us to get something done, sector by sector if necessary.

Trump, attributed clarity and belief. this is heavy stuff--ian nailed this i think, no wonder every single one of you voted for him

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I do feel a tiny bit more independent I guess? Life goes on, I'm sure one day we'll look back on this and laugh that we ever thought we really disagreed with each other. I think it's helpful to consider it in its proper context, the interconnectedness of life and the responsibilities we have to ourselves and to each other. it's a song which does not shy from dissonance, but we should never be surprised to hear it being resolved. the cadence might not be the one we expected, but we cannot, should not, resist consonance! it is the path to the tonic--if you permit, both in its musical and medical sense.

quote:

An official Dutch government account has shared a poll asking people if they will boycott British products and holidays after Brexit because the UK “no longer wants to belong”.

The Twitter post from the Netherlands’ Ministry of Finance suggested a boycott with the hashtags “Brexit” and “VRIJstelling” – which means “exemption” in Dutch.

“If the United Kingdom / England no longer wants to belong, I also no longer spend money on English products or holidays to England,” a translation of the post said.

The poll has since been deleted with no further comment from the account.

and thus the wheels turn. but how could any of us choose whether to belong, when we're all tumbling through space, huddled together on this speck of dirt careening through the galaxy? surely life is a tale not of choosing whether to belong, but of finding out that not only do you, everyone belongs, because we all belong together. hmm-mm, there's escape velocity from that warm embrace, it catches you even as you turn away--not to make demands but to accept.

ooh, ooh-la: thus is ever the human experience. as we hide it gently dismantles the defences we've built around ourselves--never to violate our individuality, only to remind us that the individual belongs in, and depends on, community! we shall not renounce but welcome.

i'll take my six hours now or whatever i might deserve

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pilchenstein posted:

That's not what "reported cases" means but also lol at "respecting brexit", you disingenuous prick. You know full loving well the issue is another eleven plus months of the thread being full of: "hey, have poor people started dying in droves yet? Really excited to watch that as an outside observer, just so I can tell a thread full of people who knew brexit was a bad idea that I told them so". Just gently caress off you grotesque oval office.

well, I'd argue the brexit vote was just as perfectly valid a response to working class concerns on elitist rule and immigration as was the trump vote. i agree the forums tend to have a less than respectful discourse on these matters, but I'm quite puzzled by just how defensively you react--i'm less than convinced incandescent rage is a great mental model for this. maybe you find it helpful.

but for my own part, I object to the suggestion that a political subject be censored on the grounds the thing hurts people--and certainly not by appeals to decorum or tone. certainly, that would also apply to global capitalism, the climate crisis and, as mentioned, the donald trump. i've certainly never seen poster location acknowledged as relevant to thread participation--even so i'll certainly consider moderating myself in the future, now that I've a better handle on your honest concern.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
be fun to see how this hardball wank works out. I guess boris figured out he's not got a lot of credibility left so he'd better go max shouty or his lies might just net him eyerolls this time around

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

"remember that election not two months ago, when this yellow rear end in a top hat liar won the idiot vote on a platform entirely made of lies? well, we don't here in our newspaper, we're content sticking with the indicative mood"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

What's the actual reason that white boys on free school meals are underachieving?

Because all the charts say that they are, and like anecdotally as well I've heard from friends working in schools that there's an unaddressed issue.

Race is a myth and you don't see the same thing with white girls on free meals, so we can throw any genetic basis out the window, fun as it might be to throw back all those centuries of skull measurement.

I don't think it's feminism and teaching about the history of imperialism that's doing it either, unless kids are failing English and maths because geography class told them that a black person exists and their brains shut down.

A common one with people involved with this seems to be that there's no local support network, no equivalent of the Caribbean Community Centre or the gurdwara or the mosque to help kids and families, because until recently that was just called 'all of society' for white boys until Thatcher decided that there was no such thing.

But what does that imply we need to do? I don't think we should go around building 'white community centres', but someone's going to come up with that idea if we don't do something else.

There was that, but there was also the "teaching white boys about feminism and colonialism means they're failing maths" bit.

how much soy in these ~free meals~

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

I vote for killing and eating the rich thereby eliminating the need to perform massive amounts of pointless labour just to exist.

trickle-down gastronomics

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

baka kaba posted:

Novara asked her about that, and she said she believes it should happen, just not while it's ongoing and British troops are serving there. Like in the sense that, if you're calling the whole thing into question that seriously, you're effectively telling the people out there (and the rest of the world) that they're carrying out an illegal war, and undermining their legitimacy and safety. She said she came to that conclusion after talking to people in the military (including her... brother? some relation) about how they'd feel if it happened, and those were the concerns they had

That seems to be her style, she's pragmatic and likes to understand everything before she'll commit to a position, so she might back some unpopular choices but she at least has good reasons instead of being factionally defensive about Big Tone or whatever. It cuts both ways too - apparently she's under constant daily pressure to sign up to those Board of Directors pledges (she described it as "just agree to them and this will all go away") but she won't do anything until she knows exactly what they mean, and they won't meet with her to discuss it

the big one is she was asked which Democrat candidate she supports, and after being unsure for a minute she goes "I don't know, Biden maybe??"
like, how? gonna assume she's not been following it too closely

that will never not give way for "time for healing, natural justice, don't poke old wounds" when are lads return. also why the gently caress do you ask soldiers whether to investigate war?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Surely that's all boilerplate PR speak? The contentious stuff is all in the questions, I don't see any evidence of human involvement in the answers

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

Maximum troll move would be ceding the falklands to spain and gibraltar to argentina.

I could see how Brexit might make a decent crusader kings scenario. well, rather, it mightn't make much less sense that way

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

maybe she means a "new labour education" in a political sense? like, that's how you know new labour's poo poo.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

sebzilla posted:

*cut to boss storming into a brothel and finding the messenger balls deep in one of Gideon's favourites*

:v: "'Sorry boss, I thought you said 'black whores'"

:bahgawd: "Hennimooooore"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DalJFfFgt7Y

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

mehall posted:

NEVER use the rates on an ATM.

You would need an *exceptionally* lovely card for it to be in your interest to use the ATM rates.

Most banks will give you the card supplier (visa/mastercard) exchange rate, which is roughly what xe.com has at a given time, delayed by a few hours (though obviously what you get charged depends when the transaction actually processes, so you can get hosed int he following day or two sometimes) plus a charge of about Ł3 and maybe 2% of the transaction.
That's near universally better than taking the ATM rate.

when using a garbage banana republic currency it's worse. every time I shop something on ebay that costs USD, EUR or GBP I have to convince paypal that no, I don't want to pay in my own currency for peace of mind and to avoid bank fees--most of the time the difference isn't huge, but when buying something like a computer, missing that tiny currency conversion option link can easily cost $10 or more. If I were that concerned about peter thiel's well-being I'd go to his loving blood bank

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nationwide Platinum does the same thing too except it's Visa. You don't even really need it for travel, if you just happen to buy stuff online from the US semi-frequently it's handy because the exchange rate is *way* better than Paypal.

Paypal's not, actually, a friend. And if it were, why'd it want to manage my monetary transactions? Suspect imo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Private Speech posted:

I've actually had a better rate from paypal than visa credit card recently when buying a computer, albeit I paid with the card for potential chargeback (it was less than a 50p difference).

e:
Also gently caress me, is this website, which is the first result for googling chargebacks, whiny:

wowzers, those 'murcans are legit crazy.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Consumer this and consumer that. Who will protect the corporations??

Maybe this should be solved by a portmanteau, the american's favourite linguistic crime. How about corp-sumers? Sounds great imo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Private Speech posted:

You left out the best bit from Sunshine there:

Yeah, I got out when I figured out the reply to that wasn't a mocking rebuttal lol. US corporate rights activism is really loving exhausting

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ms Adequate posted:

An actual lich would look less of a state.

Nah, that doesn't sound right. What happens when I'm in charge then? :thunkher:

as long as you don't charge usurious fees go right ahead imo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I mean imagine living in a country where ~corporate rights abuse~ is an established narrative. Not by appeals to some other idea either, like "maybe we need to accept that as a consequence of us basing our economy on corporations' legal personage" or something like that, just "corporations suffer abuse, and are unrepresented by any government agency". I'd go legit insane

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Miftan posted:

Hahaha Holy poo poo that's the most lib analogy ever.

e like, it's incredibly on brand to completely conflate landlord rights and abortion rights for lib, but man is that not a take I expected at all. In fact one of the most influencial pro choice philosophy papers argues something similar except instead of tenants it's something that broke into your home, regardless of if you left the window open or got a fancy security system. The argument already exists, why modify it to be shittier??

Because there are more landlords than homeowners in the UK

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Miftan posted:

But going back to my annoyingly pedantic joke point: there's not enough people like this to ensure there are more landlords than homeowners in the UK

I obviously meant people self-identifying as landlords first, homeowners second :rolleyes:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ash Crimson posted:

Philip Schofield is gay

so what

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
at least you have some decent lookers running

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Kin posted:

Ah right, that's peculiar then.

When i connected it to the wifi extender it only picked up a 2.5GHZ signal and when i went into Mifi settings, in the WLAN setting , for wi-fi bandwidth, there's only an option for 20MHz and (Auto).

The stick was just the 3rd device to connected to it so it cant be that.
home
The really low speed it's getting compared to the sim being in my phone is the biggest thing that's telling me something's up with it. If the sim can access 100+Mbits (in my mobile), and the mifi is supposed to be able to handle download speeds of up to 150Mbits, then the only thing left that can be limiting it is the WLAN connection type no?

edit: gently caress me, this tech support guy from three was atrocious.

I explained the situation and he just said that the description is "up to 150Mbits" and that i should enjoy the service. Apparently my mobile phone gets a better signal because mobile phones can have better technology.

No explanation for why one of my devices wasn't connecting, or a good explanation for the mifi getting half of the signal that my mobile phone gets with the same sim.

The only thing he asked me to do was switch the signal to 3G and go to BBC.co.uk to see if the page loads :/

Edit 2: Double gently caress me. Eventually i got through to the sales team who told me that they don't sell the home router version over the phone and i need to go into one of the physical stores.

The 20MHz bandwidth is a compatibility setting for old stuff that don't understand new(ish) protocol stuff.

Using a wifi extender usually effectively halves your connection speed, since half the width is used for extender/router traffic. This isn't simple to fix without replacing one of the wifi links with a wired connection--even if you get a wank router with dozens of antennae, that could mean it picks up more of other people's wifi, which would restrict the bandwidth it can use.

5G wifi has much shorter range, since the higher frequency stuff can't dodge walls and stuff as well as 2.4g. This is actually a plus in most urban settings, since that means it doesn't have to negotiate bandwidth with as many neighbors. Also it's got a lot more channels than 2.4g since higher frequency enables denser traffic.

Your phone's very probably got a better antenna than a usb 3g router--also, it could support phone traffic frequency bands which your router can't. This is a bigger issue with LTE, but there are lots of 3g variants as well.

I'm reasonably certain the above's correct, but it was a long time ago I had to bother with any of this stuff

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

feedmegin posted:

Random thought - recent bastions of leftism Ireland, Spain and Portugal. All neutral during WW2. Did they just skip the Baby Boom that's loving over everyone else?

Boomers are also good but my favourite ww2 analysis is ~smokers vs non-smokers~

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Like given all the poo poo that the EU dumped into the environment either through consumer capitalism or unintended consequences of their various regulations

i thought it was a referendum did it? not that the atlantic's any fresher for it ofc

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I can get hype for the bridge from and to nowhere

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

Like uber for going on water.

Unter

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

namesake posted:

While this is absolutely a means of giving millions of pounds of public money to consultancy firms and never building anything at all this is exactly the sort of glamourous failure that can be weaponised for years to come as all other investment spending fails to materialise.

uh sure, as long as they don't have anybody to shift the blame to. the environmental damage from something like this is immense, there'd be no shortage of resistance from the usual loony left loons--and what could even make people hold Boris to account, if they're willing to give him benefit of the doubt now? His entire political brand is not delivering

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

mehall posted:

Nationalism loving sucks.

British Nationalism sucks more than most.

isn't british nationalism just english nationalism outside of england

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

also some really spicy ~islamophobic hypocrisy~ stuff

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CoolCab posted:

i wouldn't wish benzo detox on even jordan peterson. i certainly wouldn't wish Russian pseudoscientific insulin coma detox. good lord he's lucky to be breathing.

and yeah if you're rich and particularly if you're rich and international doctors will 100% prescribe you enough xanax that cessation will straight up kill you, no bother.

conveniently ignoring the power of jorb's meat-fed jungian stoicism there, "doctor" coolcab

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Well, to quote Britane's--in my opinion--most insightful philosopher,

Neil Tennant posted:

The sons and brothers, fighting for another cause, anything to give their lives some meaning--busy with their guns and dreaming. Far away from here, said they would act in self-defense.

And all the others, running 'round so hot and bothered, anything to give their lives some meaning in the evening. Running around with guns and said they would act in self-defense, with violence.

Violence, violence. Violence breeds violence.

So please, sons and brothers, put down your guns and your dreaming.

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 14, 2020

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

bessantj posted:

I admit to knowing nothing about negotiating international trade deals but would their level of friendship actually have anything to do with it? I'd have thought it would have been handled by a load of experts and then those two would declare it an amazing deal even if it was poo poo.

The experts involved will include lots and lots of lobbyists seeking to protect their market share while tearing down any "red tape" elsewhere. Any agreement will include painful political choices that'll need to be accepted by parliamentarians that seek to protect and promote the business interests in their respective duck ponds, knowing full well they'll be held responsible for voting in favour of something that's perceived to gently caress over their constituents. Even agreeing to include something as potentially negotiable will be hugely controversial, there's basically gently caress all that can be done without cutting off some very choice powers over domestic social and economic policy.

Other than that you're right afaik on how any deal will be sold to the public, if they ever manage to put something on paper. but there's too much attention on this to work out that way

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Apraxin posted:

A staunch Tory voter you say, I would never have guessed.

weird how he doesn't ask elon musk for a "submarine"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
fash'n'chips

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

i'm very sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I thought it was p good actually. Kind of useless though since it doesn't work as a topic or as a non sequitur, but when I realized that it was too late lol

Anyway bugman gift cert is in pms