Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The best bond theme is the original.

No, not that original. The one about a magic sneeze: https://youtu.be/g6EuzGhIyRQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Shaun Lawson has been melting down for like 2 days straight lol

https://twitter.com/shaunjlawson/status/1224650087508389889?s=19

I like how "the Labour Party has a long and varied past" is one of those things that sounds perfectly reasonable, but in the context of a twitter list, you just know theres gonna be some madness later on.

Edit :and there it is. Jesus Christ.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I got the surname wrong, and narrowly avoided being exposed to videos of David Starkey :barf:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Yes but we know what you get up to when jogging so that's also a pass.

Incidentally, how's Seaside Loafer doing?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This is incredibly petty and childish.

But then again so is Brexit, so fair play.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Boiled sprouts are loving disgusting and slimy. Roasted sprouts, as long as you do 'em just right, are fine. Sprouts fried in butter with a bit of bacon - gently caress. yes.

Had roasted sprouts for the first time this christmas (I'm 30) and holy poo poo they're an absolute delight. So much sweeter and flavorful, instead of being little balls of fart.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

I, contrariwise, nut on the daily.

I try my best only to nut within certain expected parameters

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

We should dig out (literally) those machines that drilled the tunnel, and just make massive underground train tracks to every country within reach.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dissapointed that it's not #TerfedOut

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

We were just talking about job applications the other day:

https://twitter.com/zenalbatross/status/1227637604696416262?s=20

I'm still salty about a practice verbal reasoning test I had to do in the middle of jan.

The way these work - you're given a block of text like you'd find in a poorly written encylopedia. With the text is a statement, and using only the information in the text you have to say if the statement is true or false, or if you cannot say.

The problem is, these things are all bullshit, and the writers can't keep to their own loving standards of what language means

Like in this one:

The explanation they've given doesn't actually have anything to do with the statement - it's just describing properties that Testudines have, and saying that they're therefore turtles. It's almost affirming the consequence (As in "Dogs have 4 legs, Cats have 4 legs, therefore Dogs are Cats") except they've mangled the text in their explanation - the extract doesn't say that "Testudines are characterized by a special bony or cartilaginous shell developed from their ribs and acting as a shield", it says that Turtles are.

And if the explanation is garbage, it's useless as a training tool (also any recruitment test that you can train for is probably bullshit).

Also, that's not what a collective noun. You wouldn't say "a testudines of turtles" like you would "a gaggle of geese" or "a fleet of ships" - they're acting like "Testudines" is a synonym for "turtle", but the second loving sentence admits that there's some ambiguity about whether Turtle = Testudines, so something like "Testudines is synonymous with Turtle" is impossible to answer, because there's no option for "sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't".

And then it turns out they nicked the whole thing from wikipedia:

quote:

Turtles are reptiles of the order Testudines characterized by a special bony or cartilaginous shell developed from their ribs and acting as a shield.[3] "Turtle" may refer to the order as a whole (American English) or to fresh-water and sea-dwelling testudines (British English).[4] The order Testudines includes both extant (living) and extinct species. The earliest known members of this group date from the Middle Jurassic,[1] making turtles one of the oldest reptile groups and a more ancient group than snakes or crocodilians. Of the 356 known species[2] alive today, some are highly endangered.[2]

Turtles are ectotherms—animals commonly called cold-blooded—meaning that their internal temperature varies according to the ambient environment. However, because of their high metabolic rate, leatherback sea turtles have a body temperature that is noticeably higher than that of the surrounding water. Turtles are classified as amniotes, along with other reptiles, birds, and mammals. Like other amniotes, turtles breathe air and do not lay eggs underwater, although many species live in or around water.

Oh except they removed the bit that made the ambiguity explicit. Cunts.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Speaking of... no there's no good segue, I got the job :)

Well I sure hope it wasn't a segue-writing position :colbert:

(Congrats buddy)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Sorry, this is unrelated to everything BUT

I just went to the corner shop before the storm rolls in. I said "gently caress it" and went out in my already-on girl clothes rather than changing to boy clothes as I always have before. This is the FIRST TIME I've been out in girl clothes.

I was crossing the street when a couple walking their dog crossed from the other side. The dog was dawdling and the woman goes "Cross! Cross, cross!" and the dog did but then spotted me and came up to investigate and the woman goes "No carry on, she doesn't want ya!" (This was a lie the dog was v. adorable but).

"She"

GUYS I'M GIDDY I'M OVER THE MOON

IT'S DARK AND RAINY AND SHE BARELY SAW ME I'M SURE BUT

I'M SO GIDDY MY FIRST GIRLCLOTHES OUTING COULDN'T HAVE GONE BETTER!!!!

Would you say you're an.... Adequate Ms?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Monk as well, dependent on sub-type.

I already have a character idea and art (not done by me) if folks would like to see them.

:10bux: says its Oath of the Common Man

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Nahhh, not a big fan of paladins.

He's a bird and a friend. His beak got broken and is inlaid with iron over the scrimshaw. It's also why he's got a weirder character type.

Well, bugger.

(bird is cool, be the bird)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Largo is, if not a Star Wars name, then at least a LucasArts one

2,4,6,8, who do we assassinate?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"the only snake left in Ireland" sounds like it should be a children's book that tries to teach kids to be understanding and not judge people for being different, but accidentally has a messed up race-existentialist message because animals are poo poo metaphors for people.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Brand shiny new pod to start the weekend! We've got an Actual Guest Star on this time, one of the organisers of Bristol Transformed to talk about community organising and many other stuffs.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1230971036310671361?s=19

Hope you enjoy!

I will be taking a shot every time you make a Bristol Scale joke. Make sure the police know who killed me.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I really have grown to despise the bbc, it’s news and editorial in particular

They had an article a few days ago, about how a quarter of tweets about climate change come from bots.

Buried in the middle, they said that only 5% of tweets advocating action on CC come from bots. But they don't say how many CC-denier tweets come from bots. Seems to me like that might be the important number.

They do say:"Tweets about "fake science" were found to have been written by bots 38% of the time and 28% of tweets about oil company Exxon were posted by bots." Which doesn't actually say if either "fake science" or "exxon" tweets are CC-deniers or not. It's just two random numbers that don't mean very much. And I've tried to dig out the proper numbers, but I can't, because the paper they're quoting from hasn't been published yet, and every single loving paper has that exact same weird sentence word for word that they clearly copied off some press-release (except for the Daily Mail, which naturally, didn't report it at all afaict).

It's like how they had a big dramatic headline about "Fake News Election! All parties are engaged in blatantly making poo poo up, it's an absolute mess, god they're all awful" and then halfway down the article it turns out that the Tories lied on 80% of their online ads, and Labour didn't lie on any.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fundamentally the rope wear problem is a factor of a non-straight 3.5 mile run - there's always going to be friction because there's no way of keeping the rope taut without fouling the clamping mechanism, so the rope wears out scraping along the bottom and sides of the channel. Steel ropes and grease are your actual solution to both the rope wear in the run and the slipping problem for smooth acceleration - ironically the first (wrought iron) cable works in the UK opened - at Fore Street, almost directly under their Limehouse station - a year after the L&BR switched to locomotive haulage.

I love a good double-entendre, but when you make it this easy it just takes some of the fun out of it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The great thing about twitter is that is shows that every last public "intellectual" is either hilariously credulous, or riddled with brain worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

I tried a haiku. I thought it was a bit poo poo. At least I tried, though.

There was a man whose
limericks always went wrong
for they were haiku