Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Aphex- posted:

The gammons are just going to keep blaming the EU for all their problems even though we're not in it anymore aren't they?

Of course. If it's not barmy EU bananas regulations causing unsustainable immigration, or whatever kicked this whole thing off, it will be dastardly unreasonable EU not negotiating in good faith (i.e. not giving Britain all the benefits of being in the EU).

And if and when there is a deal, any problems will be blamed on its terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

I'M SO GIDDY MY FIRST GIRLCLOTHES OUTING COULDN'T HAVE GONE BETTER!!!!

I'm also just a lurker but this is the best. Congrats, gorgeous.

However if you didn't pet the dog then I think you need to have a good long talk with yourself.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Totally predictable that STEM degrees are worth more than any other "relevant" PhD. Yes we need lecturers/curators/archivists but not as much as bench scientists and data bros.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

I wonder what's going to happen to the salary requirement when they realise the real shortages aren't in the jobs Dom Cummies respects with his big boy brain, but in stuff like care.

Maybe employers will start to compensate care workers better to get them a few more immigration points..? Hahaha jk there will just be 40 babies or 100 elderly people to every staff member.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

What do you do in this situation? It felt like cancelling it would gently caress over a bunch of people for basically zero benefit to the strike, so being good utilitarians we didn't. Still felt so bad doing it and wondering if we made the right call.

It's in the past so not worth worrying about, but one option might have been to reschedule it (which is also not great) or relocate it off-campus and hook up with the union to turn it into a teach-out. That would require the speaker to be a bit of a comrade though and be comfortable maybe situating their talk in some aspect of the struggle and not giving the typical academic talk. I guess that would also affect their ability to claim travel expenses.

I only really post here when I'm on strike because I need the comradeship and I don't get it from my work peers.

There's a weird sort of alienation where people simply don't see themselves as employees but maybe feel more like contractors. I guess that's natural when fixed term employment is typical and you're not expected to stay in the same place after that contract is up. Anyway the end result seems to be that many researchers value getting "their own" work done more than the collective conditions the strike is about, and don't even see the union as something for them until they're permanent staff members.

And it doesn't help that everything, even on the Union's side, is framed in terms of teaching which is only a small part of the work done at a university. As I well know, when I came back last time to a printed email telling me to instruct my research assistants to do the time-sensitive data collection they missed while on strike. So basically they had to cram 2 weeks of missed work into 1 week (on top of that week's scheduled work) and the union told us the employer was legally in the right to demand that.