Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lib Dems did not cost us meaningful amounts of votes in the vast majority of seats we lost. Stop looking at national numbers, or we're doomed to ever increasing majorities in zone 2 and third party status in parliament.

I don't know how you can possibly say that. It's not just the people who voted Lib-Dem. There might be only a few dozen seats where you could add the Lib-Dem vote to the Labour vote and get a win. But that isn't even half the effect that the Lib-Dems had on the election. It's the people who saw the Lib-Dem attack lines and decided that they weren't going to vote at all, because Labour was the only possible non-tory option to win in their seat and Corbyn was a big racist brexiter. Attacking Labour depresses Labour turnout, and the Lib-Dems went all guns blazing on Labour, up and down the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Owen Paterson getting real loving angry on Today at the idea that we might sacrifice fishing rights for financial passporting in a future trade deal with the EU, which makes me wonder what party (and what country) he thinks he's been part of all these years.

There are 11700 fishermen in the UK. Many of those fishermen are actually EU nationals, employed on British registered ships who will probably leave after Brexit anyway. The national GDP contribution is even tinier than the jobs- the entirety of agriculture is a half of a percent, and fishing is less than 5% of that. Fishing is never going to be an important part of a modern economy. It's a joke that the fishing industry has been such a huge part of the national conversation.

It doesn't even need to be compared to the obviously gigantic finance sector. Ever heard a single thing about contact lens manufacturing? circuit boards? Much bigger industries than fishing, which have much more room for growth and which will be significantly impacted by this trade deal.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

PawParole posted:

So George Galloway has launched his own party.

I know nothing about the politics of the rainy pedop-isle, but how likely is Cat Boy to win a few seats?

Why is this event the one that made you think "I know almost nothing about this subject, but I think I NEED to"?

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

jaete posted:

And this ties directly to my favourite question to ask those people who actually like Excel: so what’s your unit test framework for those formulas then?

What does that mean? What answer are you looking for? I do a lot of excel stuff at work but I am not from a coding background- and I don't know how I'd answer that question.

if you're just asking "How do you know the formula is giving the right result", I'd do a manual check on a few random results to see if it is giving the answer correctly/as expected.