Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I slept through the freedom explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had at least two separate people blearily yell "happy new year" at me in the street, between one and two weeks after new year's day, in the middle of the day.

Brits are a strange folk, sometimes they just yell things at you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm remembering why I had you on ignore certainly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Im curious to be honest how much depressed turnout was simply due to the weather. We don't normally hold elections in the middle of winter, and in general depressed turnout tends to help the Tories/Brexit supporters.

Supposedly, statistics indicate that weather doesn't do much for turnout either way, though with counfounding factors in elections god knows how accurate that is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unionists declaring war on the british government is an incredibly weird idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really do not think the EU cares about self determination, particularly where spain's authority is concerned.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They would probably give it to one of the UK diplomatic staff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frankly I'm not keen on the english enclaves on the english coast filled with tax evaders and organized crime.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Irrelevant. Holding the self-determination of peoples as sacrosanct protects the beneficiaries of genocide just the same.

Perhaps we could do that when there isn't a reason not to?

Like contrariwise the idea of going into some weird calipers-based ethnography about what fleg should have what landmass seems a bit suspect.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The current inhabitants of England are descendants of invaders, true, but they're also descendants of the natives whose rights you're sarcastically invoking.

I mean if you put people in a place for long enough that tends to happen? What percentile of native blood does it take to qualify for right to live in a place?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not a question of native blood percentages, it's a question of the people living in England being the primary descendants of these conquered peoples (or people who were allowed to move there by the same.)

What do you think the people who live in gibraltar are, then?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to argue against people's views on imperial history you might want to come up with a better way of doing it than what is essentially the british approach to decolonization, but this time with definitely correct race science backing it up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The British approach to decolonization is taking colonies from other countries and giving them a new designation, or loving off in the worst way possible if a colony becomes too expensive/troublesome, I'm pretty sure.

Yes and going around saying that this place should be owned by this country because the population is sufficiently genetically mixed is loving weird and hard to distinguish from some arsehole in the foreign office drawing lines across Africa.

Darth Walrus posted:

Went to RLB's event in Bristol, and got a very good reply to my question about Labour's role in community organising and parallel support structures. I suggested afterwards that it'd be nice for her campaign to push that, and I hope she does.

Can you share the gist? It'd be nice to hear if she's got something interesting to offer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that certainly sounds good though gently caress knows where she's planning to get the means to do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"bare uniform of the federals" is clearly wrong but still technically makes sense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/lucaviftw/status/1223664392325287941

f word off crap idiot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Certainly an appealing reason for not having any social media presence :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't even really know who billie eilish is other than she makes people very het up on't internet.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Every greybeard Gen Xer who has never put their real name to anything on the internet smiles smugly.

Frankly I'm just waiting for them to start unpersoning you if you don't have one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It will be interesting to see how the government's incompetence ends up being portrayed and received over the coming year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah lots of other people archive twitter for various reasons even if twitter itself does not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turns out there is money to be made selling information people want to hide to people who shouldn't have it.

Pilchenstein posted:

She has a song where she says she's the "might seduce your dad type" and, I assume for completely unrelated reasons, gets a ton of creepy attention from middle aged journos :v:

You know you've made it when piers morgan is chasing you for feet pics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Helith posted:

I like Billie Eilish’s Bad Guy, it’s a good song and the metronomic clicking in it is the sound that the pedestrian crossings here in Sydney make that she recorded while she was here.

Oh is that the song they use on all the tik tok memes?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

urgh tempted to just vote for RLB and nobody else because they're poo poo

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1223789273490522112?s=20

Nice to see noted coward and vote loser tom blenkinsop still has nothing better to do with his time than be a reply guy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rip japan lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hungry posted:

Japan is as hosed up by capitalism as everywhere else, but in a very different way, and I think that's led them to different conclusions. I wish I could recommend a single, cohesive book about the subject, but it's hard to find one.

I only know that the work culture over there is weird and hosed up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not So Fast posted:

Being a war criminal isn't contagious, Bastani.

Strange mind that it seems so catching among the shithead labour right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the last bond film I saw was tomorrow never dies.

I've actually never seen one that didn't have pierce brosnan in it.

So my favourite bond film is probably mrs doubtfire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really remember much about them but I like to think that the MI5 building can lauch a rocket boat out of one of its walls and hit the thames.

And that that's how the boss goes home every day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps the government should stop surveilling people because apparently it makes them do terror attacks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sadly the sort of people who publish reports generally do not conceive of any other form of democracy.

Or at the very least they don't have a control group to make that deduction.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

Way more people do terrorist attacks because of islamism than surveillance that seems a dumb take.

I might have been being facetious based on the fact that several of the recent ones have been people under surveillance.

WhatEvil posted:

Butler then Burgon then Rayner IMO.

I'm debating whether to actually put Rayner on there. Not that keen on her.

What's burgon like? Don't know much about him either way.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 3, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm putting butler first but wondering about second preferences.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean at this point being a rabid brexiteer might be a plus given that the remain lot have totally hosed up.

The blue labour thing is the bigger worry for me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Him resigning during the coup is a big black mark against him, puts him entirely on the side of "we must have party unity but only if the right is in charge" IMO.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean nandy also was involved with the attempt to unseat corbyn so I think she's probably more on the "more warcrimes please" side.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's definitely nice of the other candidates to self identify as the wreckers who cost us 2017.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I have a complaint about butler it's that she apparently really hates investigations into the iraq war.

Though Rayner also voted against it, but she hasn't been in parliament as long so fewer times.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I seem to remember her complaint was more that the white working class are feckless and indolent unlike hard working immigrant families.

To which my main complaint was that I'm not sure systemic racism and the threat of being deported somewhere you've never lived is necessarily a thing I want to inflict on all of society to better increase productivity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think when I was younger there was the idea that school prioritizes presentation in work without giving you a good reason as to why and thus people with a predisposition towards that do better (with the implication that girls obviously care more about presentation, not sure if that's actually true though)

Also not sure if that applies in the age of standardized testing, though obviously it might for coursework and certainly in early schooling I remember a lot of focus on making your work look nice, which we were never really taught the theory of.

I do remember being encouraged to write in cursive so I would be allowed to use a pen, possibly part of the reason why my handwriting is illegible to this day because I started doing that very badly and never got any better because they only cared whether it was joined up, not whether it was actually readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I vote for killing and eating the rich thereby eliminating the need to perform massive amounts of pointless labour just to exist.