Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

happyhippy posted:

If Boris continues with the 'no checks needed, oh no, blimey, NI will need no extra red tape' and then throws NI under the bus at the last second and tell them there will be more red tape, this will disenfranchise the loyalists, not the IRA.

he already did, peep the withdrawal agreement

quote:

No customs duties shall be payable for a good brought into Northern Ireland from
another part of the United Kingdom by direct transport, notwithstanding paragraph 3, unless
that good is at risk of subsequently being moved into the Union, whether by itself or forming
part of another good following processing

don't worry you might get the money back

quote:

6. Customs duties levied by the United Kingdom in accordance with paragraph 3 are not
remitted to the Union.
Subject to Article 10, the United Kingdom may in particular:
(c) provide for circumstances in which customs duties are to be reimbursed in respect of
goods that can be shown not to have entered the Union

the UK may also in particular

quote:

(d) compensate undertakings to offset the impact of the application of paragraph 3.
which given that there's no regulatory burden at all brite futures is like, basically free money! is this the brexit dividend?

I know you're talking about Johnson basically turning around and admitting it, but what if he never does? Lying worked out for him so far, when the burdens appear he can just keep saying "no there aren't any"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

mad about territories!!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

This sure is a thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/kmlefranc/status/1221869659139366912

e- lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/kmlefranc/status/1223423082552950784

computers

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean if we're only picking Bonds without sex crimes then you're left with a pretty short list

I'm always torn on whether Connery's a better bond than Roger Moore because he actually has some charisma, or if that just makes the lovely stuff worse

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

happyhippy posted:

It's a problem in the way they can't just do stupid campy poo poo again.
Bond can't do stupid poo poo today like dress up as a clown to get to a nuclear bomb, or have two space armies firing lasers on a moonbase.
It would be laughed out of the place.
And a major facet of Bond's uniqueness is hosed too, the gadgets. Once upon a time we were amazed that they could fit a radio, or small bomb into a shoe heel.
The best today is an app to drive a car from your phone. Mission Impossible beats Bond with its gadgets too.

JAM TROUSERS! loving useless Q.

we just brexited and this is our future

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Vitamin P posted:

Way more people do terrorist attacks because of islamism than surveillance that seems a dumb take.

do they fill out a survey of what first got them interested in terrorism?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

hell yes

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

If I have a complaint about butler it's that she apparently really hates investigations into the iraq war.

Novara asked her about that, and she said she believes it should happen, just not while it's ongoing and British troops are serving there. Like in the sense that, if you're calling the whole thing into question that seriously, you're effectively telling the people out there (and the rest of the world) that they're carrying out an illegal war, and undermining their legitimacy and safety. She said she came to that conclusion after talking to people in the military (including her... brother? some relation) about how they'd feel if it happened, and those were the concerns they had

That seems to be her style, she's pragmatic and likes to understand everything before she'll commit to a position, so she might back some unpopular choices but she at least has good reasons instead of being factionally defensive about Big Tone or whatever. It cuts both ways too - apparently she's under constant daily pressure to sign up to those Board of Directors pledges (she described it as "just agree to them and this will all go away") but she won't do anything until she knows exactly what they mean, and they won't meet with her to discuss it

the big one is she was asked which Democrat candidate she supports, and after being unsure for a minute she goes "I don't know, Biden maybe??"
like, how? gonna assume she's not been following it too closely

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ ok that makes a lot more sense

biden astrally projected to whisper his name in her ear (and smell her hair)

OwlFancier posted:

One wonders how she plans to understand whether it's a good idea without an investigation.

Investigations are inappropriate while the war is ongoing?

well she did vote in favour of a public inquiry
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2009-06-24-156-commons/mp/11447
and I can see her reasoning? I don't necessarily agree that you have to wait til we've ended a war to start officially questioning it, given the circumstances that kind of thing could actually bring it to an end quicker - but Labour were in government at the time so I can understand her hoping to end it soon without sparking tensions and putting UK personnel in more danger, and then start holding people to account

like if you're gonna vote against investigations, I'd prefer it to be that kind of pragmatic take than HELL NO JUST WAR

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

that will never not give way for "time for healing, natural justice, don't poke old wounds" when are lads return. also why the gently caress do you ask soldiers whether to investigate war?

That's the thing, she doesn't really seem like the type - as much as you can trust politicians like that, but yeah. She seems more like the kind of person who'll put in the effort to try to make the right choices, instead of someone who'll take the easy line to smooth things over. Like as a deputy, I feel like her heart's in the right place - she's ready to build engagement and outreach, and kick rear end if anyone goes on Sky to trash talk the party. She seems all right, y'know?

and she wasn't asking soldiers what to do, she was asking how they'd feel about that happening while they're actively serving in that conflict, and how they thought it would impact things. Like honestly, it's good that she actually thought that far imo, because MPs have a tendency to just assume they already know all they need to, and never consider the wider implications of a decision. Especially with war stuff, which is what this is

Thirteen (officially stylised as TH13TEEN) is a steel roller coaster at Alton Towers in England. The ride was constructed by Intamin and opened on 20 March 2010. It is the world's first vertical freefall drop roller coaster, on which the track and train freefall approximately five metres in darkness.[4] The ride replaced and is built on the former site of the Corkscrew, which resided at Alton Towers for 28 years between 1980 and 2008.[5]

Lucky Thbteen

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 3, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

there was also a rule that to play on TOTP you had to have a music video, which led to Pixies banging this out in a Manchester quarry from like 20 seconds of footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc0Mv4Iyxvc

they didn't get on though, owned by Bananarama

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

calico cat is trapped outside because one of the locking tabs on the cat mate has shifted very slightly

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

the best bit is he said that 2 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LopTs0u45ac

before the election, and oh they're only just reporting on it now, huh that's weird

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

that story is too wholesome for britANE 2020!!

that's real nice though :kimchi:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

can't believe Jose would do this

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

This American show on Netflix had the correct pronunciation of scone

no stronger sign from the universe that you're saying it wrong

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

gently caress off southerner you're what's wrong with this country

;D

that eugenics guy's got some other hot takes I see

quote:

In an interview he did in 2016 Sabisky said he was interested in narcolepsy drug modafinil, which also cuts the need for sleep in healthy people by two-thirds and potentially helps brain function.

There is also evidence of a higher risk of people getting Stevens-Johnson syndrome, a life-threatening skin condition. “From a societal perspective the benefits of giving everyone modafinil once a week are probably worth a dead kid once a year,” he said.

can see this guy going the full jorp before he's 30

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think in a few years the media orthodoxy will be that anyone opposed to measuring the shape of skulls is a wild-eyed lunatic.

measuring skulls? come on you're being a bit silly don't you think?

they'll be using AI to estimate those brain pans

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

bessantj posted:

Did he even try saying "yeah I said that poo poo and I regret it because it's stupid" before lobbing his toys out of the pram?

because he still believes it and he doesn't sound like he'd admit to being wrong even as a convenient lie

*posing in front of bookshelves with The Art of War casually yet prominently in frame*
heh I joined to do important work but the ignorant plebs have worked themselves up - oh well their loss, I'll apply my superior intellect elsewhere

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Doccykins posted:

There's already a lot of noise about Dave's Brits performance and you're probably only going to see the clip on the twitters where he called out Johnson for being racist but you should watch the whole thing in its entirety because it is fantastic both in delivery and surrounding visual effects

https://youtu.be/mXLS2IzZSdg

this is so good and he knows it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Person kicking ladder away says "glad I'm up here"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

what that plan means is anyone "foreign" (non-white, accent, name, whatever your othering of choice is) will be constantly challenged on whether they meet "the rules for being here". It's designed to exclude basically everyone, and the "essential: speaks English at the required level" bit is basically a free pass to harass people regardless of their actual language ability

I mean there's always been people who'll do that, but it wasn't backed by a state-issued checklist. It's not just legitimising those attitudes, it's giving them the cover of civic duty in rooting out the people exploiting the system - and poo poo, if there's one thing the UK has more of than bigots, it's narcs who just love to see people suffer consequences for breaking the rules. The whole thing's gonna create a really poisonous atmosphere, especially in the era of TAKING BACK CONTROL OF ARE BORDERS

also wouldn't be surprised if the government doesn't actually crack down on employers hiring immigrant workers under the table for cheap, so the economy can continue to benefit from their exploitation, and they can send out the vans to round people up on a regular basis to remind everyone that immigrants are still the cause of all problems. Get a few seasons of Channel 5 policewank sorted at the same time

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

You do already have to speak English for the Tier 2

EEA migrants don't, but they tend to be able to pass for white

I'm talking more about the social effect of having this checklist of criteria to judge every perceived non-brit against, not the real details behind it. I mean the facts never stopped people from being terrible about immigration before

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'd argue the difference is that the quota is toxic, but it doesn't say anything about a specific person's status - were they allowed in as part of the quota? Does it even apply to them, maybe they're from the EU? It's more of a general issue about immigration, but it doesn't give the average person any information about an individual

Whereas the whole idea of "you're only allowed in if you have a very good job or are extremely educated, also if your English isn't :airquote:good enough you legally shouldn't be here" is very easy to apply to an individual you'd run into in daily life, because it allows you to make personal judgements against this universal standard. Doesn't matter if it applies to them or if they actually do meet it according to the immigration authorities, all it takes is for someone to perceive somebody as a )an immigrant and b) not meeting THE RULES in some way

obviously other countries also have this system, but we're in the middle of this maelstrom of CONCERNS ABOUT IMMIGRATION, calls to close the borders, massive interest in AN AUSTRALIAN-STYLE POINTS SYSTEM which I guarantee you the average proponent knows nothing about besides the fact that it allows you to exclude certain types of people. Switching from a shapeless systemic bogeyman of quotas and free movement, to a very personal one of "does this person meet the requirements to exist in this country" doesn't feel like a good move at all

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Real life coinciding with Goon World:

I have a little project on at the moment and it involves matching certain postcodes to MPs... I entered a postcode and the MP is JBrereton!

Anyway, that's my story.

yeah he keeps trying to pretend it's not him, which exactly what a tory MP would do isn't it??

Jedit posted:

It is absolutely the case that Alternative fur Deutschland have been using the arrival of the refugees to stoke racial tensions, and their strongholds are all in the more economically depressed East. The BBC are reporting facts here, I don't know where you got this idea that they're saying "Germany's got a problem with racism because of the refugees - good job we're too racist to take refugees in the first place!"

I feel like describing violent terrorist attacks against a vulnerable minority as "because of high unemployment" is veering a little too close to LEGITIMATE CONCERNS, and that bad phrasing is followed by "opened its borders to 1.5 million refugees" so yeah. It's not about the facts, it's how you present them as a narrative

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

from talking to a few Americans about this, apparently "bollocks" sounds cute and childish but "balls" is a really coarse word

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Aramoro posted:

I assume this is because Union Jack is an existing Superhero (though he has no superpowers)

Does he make fantastic deals with the villains?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

why's piers's bio up there? did they change the layout?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Julio Cruz posted:

seems a bit odd to be complaining about not being on the electoral roll re: the Labour leadership election rather than, say, the GE we had 3 months ago

he's saying Labour won't let him vote in internal party elections just because he's not on the electoral roll

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

crispix posted:

BRITISH PASSPORT

:cripes:

Team GB

do people ever complain about that? seems like it's never even questioned here

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Julio Cruz posted:

yes I know

my point is presumably he knew he wasn't on the electoral roll when he couldn't/didn't vote in December

it's just an odd thing to be interested enough in Labour that you join the party (which I didn't think you could do without a permanent address, but never mind) but not care about actually voting for them at any point

he knows he's not on the electoral roll though, he says he's Traveller so I assume he knows why and has his own reasons for not jumping through whatever hoops to get registered. He can still be part of the movement even if he's not personally voting in state elections

but why should that have anything to do with an internal party election, y'know? If you're a member shouldn't you get a vote, and that's it? I mean hell

quote:

Am I eligible to join?
If you’re 14 or over, not a member of another political party, and are a British citizen or have lived in the UK for a year or more, then absolutely; come on in. We need your passion, your experience and your voice in our movement.

quote:

What can I do as a member?
You’ll have a say in our policy and vote in internal elections.

I don't get why he's being excluded, he has every right to vote same as anyone else

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

There's the dodgy email that got sent out, but even so if you tell party staff that you're not on the roll for personal reasons, don't be entirely shocked if they revoke your membership; you might not even have to flounce in a huff for that to happen. Many slipped through during the registered-supporter surges - but party members are actually required to be on the roll, or have a good reason for why they're not on it.

Yeah and arguably the guy has a good reason, that's why he's complaining. I'm not saying it's not really in the rules, just why is it at all? Cerv's explanation makes sense, but they should still be flexible about it so people aren't excluded

plus couldn't bots just sign up with someone's name and address from the electoral roll anyway? so long as they ignore the membership pack arriving how would the party know it's fraud?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

"where eligible"

again I'm not saying "its not in the rules", I'm saying the rules can be read as discriminatory against certain people and communities, so maybe those shouldn't be the rules?

and no I don't really see the problem with letting those people, or people who aren't old enough to vote, join the party to be part of the movement and help out? Why is being a registered voter actually better - it's not exactly proof you're voting for Labour is it, especially during a leadership election where people literally say "join Labour to give them a bad leader har har"

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 22, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/bdomenech/status/1231341535469416449?s=20

Sanders is winning overwhelmingly today and going forward.

James Carville melted the gently caress down on live tv :laffo:

yeah it's great

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1231343189396803584

same channel where one of the millionaire hosts was going I DON'T KNOW IF BERNIE SANDERS WANTS ME ROUNDED UP AND SHOT IN CENTRAL PARK, I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE BELIEVES

e- lmao he's at it again

https://twitter.com/KeithJCarberry/status/1231345934891724802

sure been a wild ride watching our countries reacting to a resurgent left over the past few years

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 23, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Do they still play My Generation as part of their set?

Millennials try to put us down
But thanks to us, Hitler ain't around
These days you can't tell a joke
Hope I die before I get woke
Greatest generation!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's the pre-boomer gen called? The 'silent' generation?

yeah I think so, and greatest generation is the actual ww2 one

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

it's the official brexit baby, it is The One

gonna be some real scenes

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

why the heck is yougov asking about python libraries and githubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

secure your cats people

I guess it makes sense if it's about something like that and not "what datetime library do you roll with" so you can see how well you match up with jeremy corbyn. Maybe they're gonna disappear the library and they're checking to see if anyone will notice :tinfoil: :ninja: :mayo: