Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Well, just completed the first production run of my new vegan fudge, and though I may be biased, you guys are totally missing out if you don’t get in on this!

Same flavour and texture (with a slight hint of coconut), zero animal products of any form. It’s delicious and probably the one I’m most proud of so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Rockopolis posted:

Little late (on everything), but James Bond chat- Chitoryu12 has a really interesting Let's Read James Bond in Book Barn. Provides a lot of historical context and does a really good job highlighting how different book Bond is from movie Bond.

I missed saying this for Chinese New Year's, but there were a ton of pastry flavors in Taiwan that might be worth trying for your fudge. Taiwan's signature was pineapple pastry, but red bean or lotus would probably be a lot easier to work with. Sticky rice or turnip cake have an incredibly chewy texture.

I dunno, Taiwan was weirdly like hot Chinese Scotland. Hiking in the highlands is amazing, but all the food is either deep-fried, crazy sweet, or both.

Thanks for the suggestion! I do want to try more non-typical flavours, and that sounds really good..

Time to do some research methinks!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Apologies for off topic, but I just found out I got permission to trade in person for the first time at an upcoming convention. Obviously I’m excited as all hell (if a little nervous). And if you happen to attend LARPCon later this month then drop me a ‘stairs’ for special treatment. :)

Currently I’m researching suitable trays to wear around my neck, and feeling mildly disturbed that they’re universally referred to as ‘usherette trays’ and modelled almost entirely by pretty women in 1950s dresses.

I don’t know whether it’s the implicit sexism in the marketing or internalised misogyny or fragile masculinity on my part, but for some reason it makes me feel really uncomfortable.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

BizarroAzrael posted:

Clearly it's more CMOT Dibbler.

I hadn’t realised this was my go-to image of ‘person selling stuff from a tray’ until you pointed it out.

Though I assure you my fudge is made from genuine ingredients and also has a very low chance of opening a portal to the dungeon dimensions.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

We were thinking more of Dibbler's sausages of unknown origin, Mr I-Think-I'll-Make-Marmite-Fudge. :colbert:

Now now, don’t confuse experiments at the bleeding edge of confectionary science for poor trading practices!

Also I’ll argue that the origin of Dibbler’s sausages was entirely known and just kept secret.

Edit: also the marmite fudge was actually quite nice. I fed some to multiple goons and none of them have died (yet)!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Trickjaw posted:

Go for it full on. 50s frock, stilettos, and smoking a fag. No one will forget the usherette fudge.

See this wouldn't even make the top 5 of the strangest outfits I (as a cishet male) have worn in public.

Sadly I don't think these days I have either the self-confidence or the legs to be able to pull it off.

Edit: though now my wife is yelling that i absolutrly have to do this. Perhaps some point in the future!

Camrath fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 5, 2020

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

feedmegin posted:

Having met Camrath (he basically looks like a Viking), I love this idea.

Incidentally we should do drinks again. That was a very pleasant saturday afternoon :)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

All fudge orders have now shipped!

Which was slightly marred by my seeing my first ever fresh corpse (at age 38) on the way to the post office. No idea what happened- I got there as the cops were doing the blanket draping thing. The poor guy wasn’t wearing any shoes, and now I can’t get the image of a pair of totally still bare soles out of my mind.

Not what was expected today to say the least.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Sorry to hear about your slot issues, MrPawse. But I guarantee it will be worth the wait!

In other news, my wife and I know each other far too well and independently got each other these cards

Edit: I also used the phrase ‘revolutionary vanguard’ in a love letter, possibly for the first time ever..

Camrath fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 14, 2020

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

feedmegin posted:

So, I am plotting Diced Meaty Goons - that is to say, a UKMT-and-friends Dungeons and Dragons game run by me in East London. I think from conversations at goonmeets etc we should be able to source enough players (4-6 or so, ideally) to make it work. Synopsis:

D&D 5th edition, since it makes a good common denominator. I've run 4th and 3.5 edition games before but not DMed or played 5th yet, so it will be a learning experience for us all :shobon:

Custom setting - I'm thinking a cross between the Spire (check the FATAL thread in Trad Games for a synopsis) and Carnival Row from the televisions. So, a more 18th/19th century sort of feel; set in a large city; guns are a thing but still fairly rare; magical subway cars exist, so do trains, that sort of thing. The city is a capitalist, imperialist state run by humans, other races's lands are colonised and its inhabitants in the city are Oppressed Masses forced to live in a ghetto. Players can be Oppressed Masses (human or otherwise) or sympathisers farther up in the social hierarchy. This is the UKMT so I would expect players would generally want to try to overthrow this system, foment revolution, etc etc.

Likely venue is this gaming-friendly pub/bar, where we had my last goonmeat, or possibly some sessions at my house which is a few minutes' walk east of Barking station (in which event there will be snacks). Thinking maybe every couple of weeks to start with, for say 3-4 hours; open to either a weekend or a weekday evening depending on who is free when.

Anyway, PM me or post itt if interested!

Very much interested, assuming I can make the dates :) what sort of schedule are you thinking?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

feedmegin posted:

Literally depends on when people are free. :) I dont want to run a Monday game because generally all I want to do on a Monday evening after work is come home and slump on the couch with a glass of wine, but other than that I'm pretty open. I guess I'll float a trial balloon of say 2pm on Sunday, but I don't really have any other commitments (yet) so really it's whatever will work best for whoever wants to play.

Every week? Still that time does actually work for me :)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Loving the characters, Josef.

Trying to decide what to play myself. Perhaps a paladin of Marx.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Forgive me comrades, but I really need to vent about something here.

I have to take quite a few medications to manage my mental health. One of these is buproprion- this was prescribed by my private consultant psychiatrist but cost something in the region of £130 a month, way more than I can afford. So last summer I went to my gp practice with a copy of the prescription. They prescribed it to me under the nhs, all seemed good.

A week ago I tried to get a new prescription issued as I was nearly out of pills. Only to be told via text by a doctor who I’d never spoken to before that they would not be issuing it anymore for reasons that basically amounted to ‘computer says no’. Cue a week of absolute panic- this is one of the few meds that seems to have any positive effect on my depression and stops me being completely incapable of anything. I’ve had to reduce my dose to half what it should be to ration my pills as long as possible, and I’ve been genuinely terrified. I found this out as I was heading back from shipping out my most recent fudge orders (during which journey I also saw a guy jump/get pushed from a sixth floor window and land about ten feet from me, which has also somewhat hosed poo poo up in my head), and I highly doubt I’d have been able to meet my commitments should the timing have been different. This is also one of the reasons why I’ve not been opening for sales in the past week- I’d hate to take stuff on and then fail to deliver.

So a week spent in the absolute doldrums, terrified and already not taking the doses prescribed. Today I finally managed to pluck up the strength to call the surgery to make a complaint- only to find out that apparently they’d decided to issue the repeat prescription on an ongoing basis and all I need to do is drop in and pick it up. There was no contact made, no effort to let me know about this. And while I’m obviously hugely relieved I am if anything angrier- I’ve been left in a completely poo poo state for literally no reason whatsoever, without any explanation or communication.

Anyway, here’s hoping poo poo can improve now, but holy hell am I just so angry. It’s not just cost me damage to my mental health, but has also done me financial damage as well. And all for absolutely no reason or point.

Anyway I’m going to go now and buy ingredients for a whole shitload of fudge. Hopefully that will make me feel better.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Comrade Fakename posted:

Your whole story is pretty terrible, sorry you had to go through all that. But holy poo poo?

Pretty much my reaction. The guy didn’t make it- I was driving and stopped at a traffic light, on the way back he was still there covered with a red blanket, with just this pair of unmoving bare feet sticking out from under.

Apparently someone has been arrested on suspicion of murder. Tbh it didn’t really process in my mind what I’d seen until I was in the post office ten minutes later. Aged 38, first time I’ve seen a fresh dead body. :/

Edit: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/north-finchley-murder-investigation-window-fall-a4361046.html ; I was where the black car is in that photo.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 19, 2020

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

Lucky you. I got to watch someone drop dead in front of me before I was 18.

I’m well aware I’ve led a sheltered/privileged life, believe me.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/boardofdeputies/status/1230160536467316741?s=21

BOD really showing their chops as an anti-racist organisation.

This is loving hilarious to me. I spent a couple of years working for a Jewish security company as a manager (before poo poo went sideways with my mental health due to overwork), and every one of them voted for brexit, despite the fact that I was literally their only native British employee.

Whole lotta security firms in Hendon/Golders Green gonna go bust soon without cheap eastern/Central European labour, and good riddance. Saw a lot of appalling practice there both professionally and personally.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

marktheando posted:

What are you trying to suggest here?

Does this just mean Jewish owned, or is there something specifically Jewish about the security work they do?

Yes to both; Israeli owned and providing security explicitly to synagogues, Jewish schools and nurseries and Jewish events.

To be fair, a lot of our clients were the most incredibly friendly and kind people. And working at a Lubavitcher synagogue for shabbas is a great way to get pumped so full of food that you can barely move.

Edit: There’s a sort of sub industry of Jewish owned security companies like that; they all receive government funding via the CST that enables them to operate. I can think of at least four or five off the top of my head and that’s just the bigger ones. Most of them have ongoing feuds with each other as well.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 19, 2020

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

What in seven hells is a "neolibertarian"

Scum, from the context.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Josef bugman posted:

Is the DnD thing going on in London still?

I can still make it but am v. tired after work today.

Was it meant to be today? If so I mega derped and made fudge instead.

Edit:

feedmegin posted:

Provisional plan is Session 0 (character generation, maybe some initial gaming) is 2pm on March 1st. I'll try to remember to PM/Whatsapp-group everyone in the next day or so. :) Have just finished moving house/started new job so it's all a bit hectic :shobon:

Can’t make that due to being in Leicester hawking fudge to LARPers (assuming you’re ok with me playing). Happy to set up a character with you separately and turn up to session 1 though.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 23, 2020

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

To cut across all the serious talk, may I just interject with this- there’s nothing for making a business feel real like receiving your first proper business cards.

In other news, I’ll be opening up for orders on Monday, with some new flavours :)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

Tempura Fudjit.

Now I want to try battering fudge.

Genius, madness or something in between?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Chuka Umana posted:

Is this in London?

Yup.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

Come to Scotland. We'll not just batter it, we'll deep fry it as well.

Lived in Aberdeen for the first half of my twenties, and aside from deep fried steak and gravy pies from one of the chippers on King St, I manifestly failed to try any deep fried obscenities. I was a fool.

forkboy84 posted:

And then just throw it in the bin and give you tablet instead

Oddly, while I was experimenting with vegan recipes I managed to create vegan tablet without intending to. I guess it’s down to using milk (or equivalent) rather than cream.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 27, 2020

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

A message to all, for the benefit of our resident fudge packer: apparently Etsy are charging an advertising fee to vendors if the buyer has clicked on any Etsy ad in the last 30 days regardless of what the ad was for. So don't click on Etsy ads, ever, or you're screwing the person you want to buy from.

Thanks for the heads-up on this! Tbh the various nickel-and-diming habits of Etsy are why I’m dubious about them.

(Incidentally yesterday my wife and I packed about 93,000 calories worth of fudge for the convention this weekend. That’s a lot of fudge.)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

mehall posted:

Hey, can we not use the term "fudge packer", even when referring to a literal fudge producer and shipper?

It's not a term that's gonna be reclaimed on the short to medium term and makes it appear like it's not a term with issues.

As the individual in question, I’d kind of like us to do this. Or not do this. You know what I mean.

Both on grounds of non-offence to others and also because frankly I’ve heard variants on this joke several hundred times in the past few weeks. While I’m pretty certain that nobody in this thread means it maliciously, words can hurt third parties unintentionally. Also frankly, call me crazy but I’d prefer my business not to be associated with homophobia in people’s minds.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

thespaceinvader posted:

I propose 'soft sugar sorcerer' as a replacement.

I’m sticking with ‘Mad Fudge Alchemist’ because then I can stick ‘MFA’ after my name and not be lying.

mrpwase posted:

It should instead be associated with deliciousness, which it is, because it is.

<3 :)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

The Deleter posted:

The Private School Student subclass didn't get past the first round of playtesting for many reasons, and the soggy biscuit ritual was only one of them.

As a former public school boy I can safely state I never saw a game of soggy biscuit- but it was always rumoured it was something the kids in the other class played on school trips.

Did have a kid who would publicly gently caress a 3’ teddy bear on school ski trips tho. Iirc he became something big in student politics in the noughties.

And on that bombshell I ride to Leicester to sell fudge to nerds!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Well, first day of trading face-to-face went well. Smashed my target for the weekend by lunchtime and had more than doubled it by the end of the day. So that’s a thing. Now worries that I won’t have enough stock for tomorrow- which is kind of a nice worry to have!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

thespaceinvader posted:

Congrats, where are you selling? (I know a bunch of people who are going to a con this weekend...)

LARPCon in Leicester. Well, Coalville really.

Tonight I think I’m due a few adult beverages as celebration tbh.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

thespaceinvader posted:

I thought it might be! I was thinking about going, but going to a con 24 hours before a new job seemed like not a great plan...

Protip- the Paranoia larp taster is well worth the effort of attending and only an hour or two long. Also some jerk is selling fudge so I hear ;)

Also the UK space sim folk are there, which is always enormous fun.

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh poo poo! My step-dad was there this morning. He should be back tomorrow, I'll tell him to keep an eye out for you and buy some if he spots you (And gets there in time hehe).

Cool :) I’ll be wandering around with an usherette tray (well, or my wife will be- got a space sim booked for 11:30 :D)

Chances are I’ve already interacted with him in passing- I’ve spoken to a /lot/ of people today lol. And also the UK nerd and geek community is pretty small and interconnected.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

If you're going to the paranoia larp then surely you need to make fudge in the appropriate colours.

It was decreed that brown was infrared level. I also got made sanitation officer because of our 5* health certificate.

Guavanaut posted:

You don't need to know about the fudge, citizen.

Also this^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

thespaceinvader posted:

Going to Leicester for a couple of hours is very much bnot worth the 4-odd hours of driving ;)

A very cromulent point.