Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Just got told by a ‘farmers daughter’ (an actual way in which people describe themselves in rural farming areas) that is vegans (of which I am one) are destroying the british agricultural industry so I went on a completely ad-libbed three minute rant about how the tories now have free reign to gently caress over the last powerful union in the country (the NFU), the fact that we left the CAP which is the largest organisation in the word to try to keep farming produce at a competitive price to benefit the farmers and that every free trade agreement the US has entered into they’ve insisted on removing “country of origin” statements from packaging so once we’re trading with them even putting “British beef”on a package will be against the loving law.

Someone made a half arsed effort to call me out on not buying British beef but I pulled a Liz Truss and said that it was an absolute DISGRACE that we import 98% of our chickpeas

I mean the countries hosed but we might as well enjoy ourselves.

loving hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

RockyB posted:

The Met don't need any more loving databases, they already just spin up a new one every time someone raises a stink about their data retention policies. But don't worry, now we're out of Europe we won't have those pesky GDPR / human rights court shitheads interfering anymore:

Important to note, and important to tell every Brexiteer you meet, and over and over again as loudly as possible, that the ECHR (and the human rights convention) are Council of Europe things and literally nothing has changed with respect to them.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

I have a feeling I'm going to get shat on for this but I'll say it anyway: at no point in this article does the author say what they actually do. Ok, they're an art graduate, with two degrees, and I respect that, but I just can't work out what jobs they're actually applying for.

I'm a bar manager, possibly even a restaurant/bar manager, with absolutely no relevant qualifications in those fields, and I'm actually loathe to describe myself as either. And yet as far as I can tell the only qualification to being either is just to act like it; I'm not entirely sure what a P&L spreadsheet is actually saying but as long as I pass the buck onto the accountant I don't get into trouble. And I'm not entirely sure I've actually got the authority to scream down the phone at the brewery suppliers at 10am on Tuesday when the delivery was definitely 100% arriving Monday morning but the delivery then seems to magically appear 3 hours later and I don't get into trouble so maybe I do.

I've had a waiter whose sister-in-law worked for an air conditioning company and had openings for technicians who maintain that sort of thing, he asked if he could help deep clean the kitchen so he had experience doing it. Of course he bloody could, we couldn't even find paid volunteers to do that sort of thing, he's long gone and on 30k/year last I heard. I've had a waitress whose mum worked in a care home and needed nightshift 'experience' so she could do full-time care, and could she do the sleepover shifts I had to almost beg other staff to do? Of course she bloody could, and with my massively exagerrated reference she's probably on close to 30k/year as well. One of the cleaners wanted to go and do a chemical safety course, which by her own admission would lead to her getting a far better paid job with the eventual aim of doing asbestos removal (and other hazardos waste), but would be paid for completely by our suppliers, done on her own time and just needed my signature? Pass me a pen. And I have dozens of stories of people like this - some graduates, some not - who are making more than me and more importantly doing what they want to be doing.

My point is that it's all very well being qualified to do something, the trick though is working out your niche. Find that, and hammer it. That, after all, is what everyone else is doing, so if you're not you'll get nowhere.

edit:

ThomasPaine posted:

In all my times on the dole every time the best strategy is to lie, lie, and lie again.

It would have been easier if I'd just quoted this