Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

FirstAidKite posted:

Happy almost bday! :D

a glitch posted:

e:
Happy Day-Before-Birthday ONE YEAR LATER!

Thank you, it's a real strange one this year. Turning 36 so there's the stress of just aging to cope with, but 4 days from now is also the year anniversary of the last time I spoke to my dad on the phone before he died and there's a lot of feelings involved. And I should really be focusing on school work but haha, why do that when there's a dead gay forum to browse and waste the day away on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Thank you, it's a real strange one this year. Turning 36 so there's the stress of just aging to cope with, but 4 days from now is also the year anniversary of the last time I spoke to my dad on the phone before he died and there's a lot of feelings involved. And I should really be focusing on school work but haha, why do that when there's a dead gay forum to browse and waste the day away on?

I promise you that this dead gay forum will still be here in one form or another when you finish your school work. It's fine to rest and relax but make sure to keep yourself working at a steady pace so you can still keep up with your schooling without burning yourself out along the way. I hope the school stuff goes as smoothly as possible so that you can maintain a healthy balance of managing your responsibilities with your time unwinding from said responsibilities. :backtowork:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Waltzing Along posted:

I actually saw that the other day. Some of his stuff is pretty funny. I like the one he did for Buoyancy.

March 11.

drat :( Google lied to me and said February 11, was hoping to play it in less than two weeks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Having fun isnt wasting time

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Having fun isnt wasting time

unless you're like, trying to diffuse a bomb at the moment, in which case stop reading the forums it's the blue wire, you're gonna die in 2 minutes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beat Sea Salt, its bad in two ways and somehow the gameplay piece isn't the part that bothers me as much.

In gameplay terms, its a bit of a mess. In a game all about pathfinding on the regular your minions will take insane and strange routes, stand around doing nothing, or seemingly go out of their way to get killed off-screen. Certain enemies are massively, massively more dangerous than others and you sort of have to hope enemies accidentally box themselves in sometimes because otherwise they can keep kiting your units forever. Further, on regular difficulty there really isn't any reason to not be using crabs/fishmen/cultists and ignoring all other things you can summon. Nice that you can retry any screen including bossfights. This setup so trundled the final boss I, 0 exaggeration, just held the attack button down and did literally nothing else and won.

The story though, thats the thing really bringing down the experience. The core concept is really fun, you are Dagon upset that your followers are being led astray by a church thats decided they don't want to make the sacrifices for you while reaping the rewards you give. The first problem is that the writing is honestly pretty bad; the evil bishops dialog is so badly written and confused its hard to understand why anyone would support him and fails to give you any understanding of the faith. It just is like "gibberish line", whining he doesn't want to die and that he hates his god, and then demanding the faithful to do things which they do; it is so badly written it makes it less satisfying to murder him. The second is that despite being a Lovecraft inspired game it dips into other motifs at seemingly random, like the entire ye olde fantasy setting necromancer, and then some completely unconnected jabs at christianity. The writing just can't seem to stay focused on the concept of "your followers have been led astray, you the very real and very active Dagon" and struggles mightily.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thank you to everyone that participated in the murder game, the february gamer of the month tournament is shaping up to be a monster

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

Beat Sea Salt, its bad in two ways and somehow the gameplay piece isn't the part that bothers me as much.

In gameplay terms, its a bit of a mess. In a game all about pathfinding on the regular your minions will take insane and strange routes, stand around doing nothing, or seemingly go out of their way to get killed off-screen. Certain enemies are massively, massively more dangerous than others and you sort of have to hope enemies accidentally box themselves in sometimes because otherwise they can keep kiting your units forever. Further, on regular difficulty there really isn't any reason to not be using crabs/fishmen/cultists and ignoring all other things you can summon. Nice that you can retry any screen including bossfights. This setup so trundled the final boss I, 0 exaggeration, just held the attack button down and did literally nothing else and won.

The story though, thats the thing really bringing down the experience. The core concept is really fun, you are Dagon upset that your followers are being led astray by a church thats decided they don't want to make the sacrifices for you while reaping the rewards you give. The first problem is that the writing is honestly pretty bad; the evil bishops dialog is so badly written and confused its hard to understand why anyone would support him and fails to give you any understanding of the faith. It just is like "gibberish line", whining he doesn't want to die and that he hates his god, and then demanding the faithful to do things which they do; it is so badly written it makes it less satisfying to murder him. The second is that despite being a Lovecraft inspired game it dips into other motifs at seemingly random, like the entire ye olde fantasy setting necromancer, and then some completely unconnected jabs at christianity. The writing just can't seem to stay focused on the concept of "your followers have been led astray, you the very real and very active Dagon" and struggles mightily.

Good to know abandoning ship was the right call lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

my friend i have some bad news about how the entire rest of the world that isnt america formats dates

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
crossing the streams

thought that would be a nintendo ip

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nintendo jointly owned it, and rumors seem to point to Platinum having gotten full control of it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Are they talking a follow-up or a port of it, I would like to play the original but since the Wii U basically didn't exist it needs to be on a different platform

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are they talking a follow-up or a port of it, I would like to play the original but since the Wii U basically didn't exist it needs to be on a different platform

ports for now (as in not just for the switch)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Someone on the unstickied, free-floating January Chat forums asked what poster's favourite chargen systems in games were and I'm here to lay down some fat opinons, here we go

Preamble: Being the vain, self-interested narcissist I so clearly am, if a character creator comes along I always make myself in it for my first playthrough. This is in no way a tragic attempt at escapism that I will never ever let go of. The screenshots you see below can reasonably be considered facsimiles of what I looked like during the period of the game's release and yes that's exactly as cringeworthy as it sounds.

Saints Row 2:

Best in the series by far and alarmingly progressive for the time of release (2008), Saints Row 2 doesn't give a gently caress who you identify as. With sliders that allow you to be as masculine or feminine as you like regardless of sex as well as six fully unique player character voices, fully voiceacting the game rather than being just limited to generic grunts, Saints Row 2's character creator is one of the game's greatest strengths. It has facial sliders that can go as wacky or as pretty as you like (Enhanced even further with Idolninja's legendary Gentlemen Of The Row mod) and allows for all sorts of bodytypes and additional features.

It's not limited to your character model, though: There are hundreds of clothing items for purchase (Again inflated even further by the GOTR mod), the very vast majority of which can be recoloured, have an array of patterns and can be layered in multiple ways. You can have a bulletproof vest over an overshirt over an undershirt over a vest. There are socks, belts, everything else, and you can make outfits for each to let you switch between as many looks as you want when you're at a clothing store or crib. A cosmetic surgery store lets you change your character whenever you want as well, and you can choose different taunt, cheer and walk animations for your character.

Add to this car modification to ridiculous extremes like the above, extending all the way to pimping out dump trucks and vans, and even customising buildings and gang members, and you've got yourself a bastion of self expression in a wonderfully alive game world.

Later games in the series (Saints Row 4, 2013, above) would be prettier but far less flexible in being able to identify with gender as a spectrum and bodytypes felt a lot more limited: No longer could I be a paunchy, slouching disaster. The layering system in the clothing was removed and clothing was a lot more "out there", fitting the wackier atmosphere the game was going for, but unfortunately this made the character creation feel a lot less powerful. It still felt good running around as a cartoonier version of myself and the above screenshot is something I use occasionally for a display picture.

APB (Now APB: Reloaded)

Infamously Capital B Bad third-person competitive not-really-open-world cops n' robbers game that died once, came back and has been shuffling along broken and forgotten as a F2P nightmare ever since, APB had a unique selling point that worked well and really hasn't been seen again just yet: Full decal customisation of characters, clothing and vehicles, spraypaints and the ability to make your own music and have it play from your car or as a death theme that people hear when they're killed by you. As a game... APB is best left unspoken about. Survivors still get a faraway look in their eyes and may uncontrollably cry or start screaming.

Of course, this degree of flexibility had its drawbacks so naturally there's a lot of edgy bullshit, anime girls, memes and nudity everywhere but some of the coolest designs were remarkable. With a small playerbase, people who had put effort into carving out an identity became instantly recognisable: You'd recognise clans by the coordinated vehicles and colours they flew, top players would show their presence by putting their tag on the side of the biggest building they could find and garish outfits were a given.

What really impresses me, and still does to this day, is that you could genuinely carve out a living just by being really good at designing clothes or working your way around the decal creator. People would shell out a fair chunk of in-game money for a cool shirt or an awesome vehicle and there were people who spent any time playing the actual game and instead just sat around selling and advertising their designs. This is a crafting system I could really get behind and I made a good amount of money just making cute cats and animals for people to put on their clothes. I hope to see this kind of thing again in a game that deserves it at some point.

The game had a sort of "graffitipunk" style with a lot of splotches and splatters and bright colours and people seemed to naturally run with it, which was super cool to see.

Naturally, the Forza series has a beautifully solid decal designer and the cars to go with it, but there's something to be said about a third person multiplayer shooter that gives you such powerful tools to carve out your identity.

City of X and Champions Online:

City of Heroes (2004, and later Villains etc) and Champions Online (2009) stand atop the pile of character creators for the sheer amount of options and flexibility you're given, hampered only by the aged graphics of CoH and the fact that everything good about CO's character creator has been horrifically mutilated since release and placed in tiny packages. This is one of the few games where I didn't make myself because the sheer amount of incredible, fun and interesting choices you have are creativity fuel in their own right. You'll see items they've included and you'll instantly know that you want to build a character around them, or you'll get an idea and say to yourself "but can I do this?" and the answer will be yes, or at least you'll get very close to getting what you want.

Seeing CoH's return early in 2019 was a testament to how good visual design can carry an aged game, because walking into Atlas Park and seeing the hundreds and hundreds of characters running around, many of them original characters given a new chance of life to visit Paragon City for the first time in over a decade is one of my favourite gaming memories from last year. People loved their characters and my kung-fu cop, Russ T, jogging about and hitting ne'er do well's with his mighty metal fists was a blast and a half. Although CO's is shinier and has more advanced options than CoH's, such as material types and glow, I think CoH's still wins for the sheer volume of options and just general charm. The animations for your character are spectacular too, punchy, lively and impactful even today.

X-COM 2:

It's only natural to get attached to your squad in an X-Com game. You celebrate their victories, mourn their defeats, and scream bloody murder when they gently caress up a dead certain shot. You feel all this just by playing the game and watching the characters grow, but X-COM 2 (2016) really pushes that personal connection by allowing you to tune in fine detail their looks, clothing, accessories, voice and even personality. You can write bios for them, assign them nicknames and even write their memorials when they finally bite it. War Of The Chosen (2017) pushed this to its conclusion by allowing you to make propaganda posters of your favourite troops and operations which would show up in-mission in what was a hilarious and adorable little touch.

They didn't need to include any of this, but they did because they know that losing your guys, especially when they look like friends, family, co-workers and genetically altered pets, really twists the knife and forces players to act in ways they wouldn't if the people under their care were nameless, faceless grunts. Hell, you can even colour, modify and name their individual weapons.

Couple this with a modding community which has added a fuckload of accessories, patterns and voicepacks to the game and your diverse rota of alien-busting buddies becomes an extended family you'll care about like your own. Well, okay, maybe not that much, but it's still really loving cool.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 1, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember in the Xbox 360 avatar system it was possible to push your eyebrows all the way down to your upper lip and unleash a whole new set of mustache possibilities

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My interest in Magic the Gathering has faded recently mainly because there are so many other games that I want to check out and being locked into a daily routine game feels somewhat enervating.

The funny thing is that my current run with Magic started with the new Ravnica (guild megacity) set and has kind of petered out with the new Theros (Greek mythology) set.

My previous run with Magic started with the previous Ravnica set and petered out with the previous Theros set.

This has been the fourth stretch of time in my life that I have gotten into and out of Magic. It's like on a multi-year cycle

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My interest in Magic the Gathering has faded recently mainly because there are so many other games that I want to check out and being locked into a daily routine game feels somewhat enervating.

The funny thing is that my current run with Magic started with the new Ravnica (guild megacity) set and has kind of petered out with the new Theros (Greek mythology) set.

My previous run with Magic started with the previous Ravnica set and petered out with the previous Theros set.

This has been the fourth stretch of time in my life that I have gotten into and out of Magic. It's like on a multi-year cycle

unironic suggestion to try hot new dcg runeterra

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

being locked into a daily routine game feels somewhat enervating.

I know and abhor that feeling, unfortunately game publishers love their active user stats so some form of daily login carrot dangling is almost everywhere now (I was surprised it was absent from borderlands 3). One of the reasons I decided to just never pick up Arena at all, despite loving limited and not really being able to afford playing paper anymore.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So weird that MHW has a daily login bonus

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Even Devil May Cry 5 has a login bonus. There’s barely multiplayer! It’s strange

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's the longest you've kept a daily login streak like that going

I did the daily puzzles in one of the 3DS Professor Laytons for like 220 days straight then accidentally forgot one day. I never turned the game on again because I couldn't bring myself to look Layton in the eye knowing I had hosed up

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

So weird that MHW has a daily login bonus
they had a bad impulse in mhw of pretending that monhun is a kind of game that it isn't, between the login rewards and weekly quests and making the event quests time limited + the incredibly wrong headed design of the base mhw endgame

on the other hand, these daily gold prints from the appreciation fest going on right now are sick...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Beat Atelier Ryza, it was decent but also obviously a first attempt at doing a new style that I hope gets refined a lot for the next game. Also the focus on story over hanging out with your friends was eh, not really why I play Atelier games.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I bought Bastion. Never played it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You should play it, and Transistor, and Pyre

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I played Pyre. Did not finish it, will get back to it "at some point"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

whats the word for when you appreciate what someone does and the style and craft and effort put in and that theyre probably good but you also just dont want to personally ever play one of their games again bcos thats how i feel about supergiant

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I generally prefer their soundtracks to the games themselves. They're fantastic.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

stev posted:

I generally prefer their soundtracks to the games themselves. They're fantastic.

Yeah I have about triple the hours listening to the Transistor soundtrack compared to actually playing the game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

whats the word for when you appreciate what someone does and the style and craft and effort put in and that theyre probably good but you also just dont want to personally ever play one of their games again bcos thats how i feel about supergiant

namaste

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

i believe that's twee

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I bought Bastion. Never played it

Ironically I read this in The Narrator's voice

Spring Break My Heart? Didn't make it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

homeless snail posted:

i believe that's twee

Nah Undertale is twee *helicopter dabs away*

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I really liked Bastion but Transistor didn’t click with me despite being very impressive.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Bastion was the game that made me realize how much I dislike isometric camera angles

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Transistor had a really drat cool first boss and the final boss definitely took some cues from MGS but the rest wasnt nearly as memorable.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i did all the bastion dreams with all the idols on and it was p fun

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Supergiant characters are top tier in dialogue and I hate how that fact gets over-shadowed by how amazing the soundtracks usually are. Pyre was such a fantastic character experience and I hate that people just think of it as a soccer game spin-off.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Finished Yakuza 0 just now. Once I had my fill of doing the smorgasbord of fun side stuff on offer and set to working on the main story the game very much had its hooks in me. It was the first game in a while that I really felt a desire to sit down and play every day (which is probably more of a me thing, to be honest) instead of just bouncing around and playing an hour of this or that.

Not sure what I what to set my sights on now as something to make progress on -- I have been thinking about The Witcher 3 DLCs since the show came out, I've been weirdly thinking a lot about replaying KOTOR and KOTOR 2 recently and RE2 Remake is still sitting in my steam library. The one that I'm really thinking I'm going to do, is probably restarting KRZ from Act I and doing the whole thing in one go, especially since it's in the zeitgeist somewhat right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

twee is a bad word