Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

And how much combat there is in the following 75 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Because of random encounters. There are way too many

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the random encounters would be way less of a big deal if your whole party got exp rather than just the active members

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Random encounters are just too inherently rude. Adding a little abstract blob representing potential fights roaming around is a way more polite way to keep random battles without it feeling like an annoyance.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

it's fine - you can just switch everyone except Kimahri in every fight so they get exp

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There’s a mod on PC you can get that makes everyone get xp regardless of if you used them, highly recommended

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Lurdiak posted:

So why do people on video game twitter keep pretending Kiryu from the Yakuza series is a character who "doesn't know what sex is", those game are incredibly horny and you can take girls to hotels in most of them. The only characters who gently caress more explicitly are in bad David Cage games.

That's not what that word means.

Whenever Kiryu takes girls to hotels he just tells them about great punches he did for several hours.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Pinky is such a vocal kitty.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Catfishenfuego posted:

Whenever you take girls to hotels you just tell them that there is nothing more important, than being true to yourself.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
That too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Pinky is such a vocal kitty.

Now that’s what I call a cat!!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My cats haven't come out since I got home. I want to sleep but I also want to pet my cats

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Jay Rust posted:

There’s a mod on PC you can get that makes everyone get xp regardless of if you used them, highly recommended

I just finished a switch playthrough :/

I still really like the game, a top FF for me, but by the end I was glad to move on to X-2. The remasters should have gone a bit further on QoL

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I have a hard time ever finishing any FF game. I started playing FFXV for a while, but then remembered I had already started FF7 like a year before so I started back on FF7. I'm somewheres in Disc 2 I think, hunting Weapons or something with my airship. I think I might finally beat ff7 for the first time this year if I remember to play it again. I got my gold chocobo, though, so I'm ready to bird up when I do.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

slightly behind on the thread, but this game is so very good

a perfect followup to CSD 2

Weedle
May 31, 2006

All the Final Fantasy Tactics chat in the last thread inspired me to finally get into it. I just finished the first fight after the prologue, against the Corpse Brigade in Gariland, and I want to change my party’s class composition to a mix of melee and ranged guys. The only units I have are Squires and Chemists; is there any reason not to just switch some Squires to Knights and Archers right now before I get going? Should I make Ramza a Knight too? How easy is it to screw myself over by loving around with this stuff? I don’t have much experience with this style of game.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
the only JRPGs with random encounters I've ever bothered to complete were pokemon and that's only with a steady IV drip of repels

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Me when the guillotines come out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unironically, just look up a guide or get ready for someone to vomit that caliber advice at you because FFT is an absolutely brutal early game and you will want every advantage possible. .

It also doesnt get easier per se as you progress, you just have way more options to deal with things as you progress but there are still incredibly hard fights with complete untelegraphed gotcha traps. It also has a ton of tedious and obtuse systems that are either unexplained in game or so densely overcomplicated that can have huge impacts on how good your units are that Im gonna repeat you probably want to crack open at least a miniguide so you arent wasting your time doing things like "using the knight class"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Weedle posted:

All the Final Fantasy Tactics chat in the last thread inspired me to finally get into it. I just finished the first fight after the prologue, against the Corpse Brigade in Gariland, and I want to change my party’s class composition to a mix of melee and ranged guys. The only units I have are Squires and Chemists; is there any reason not to just switch some Squires to Knights and Archers right now before I get going? Should I make Ramza a Knight too? How easy is it to screw myself over by loving around with this stuff? I don’t have much experience with this style of game.

Squires have the JP Up support ability, and I typically teach that to all of my folks before moving on. You unlock new classes by reaching a certain level in other classes, and some advanced classes have complicated requirements. Feel free to look these up.

It’s a tough game, and sometimes you’ll have to grind a bit before being able to overcome certain encounters, especially if you’re going in blind. If you’re okay with that, you can go ahead and experiment; the character customization is stellar and finding strong combinations is really fun!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
make sure to brush up on your astrology before diving into FFT

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

Unironically, just look up a guide or get ready for someone to vomit that caliber advice at you because FFT is an absolutely brutal early game and you will want every advantage possible. .

It also doesnt get easier per se as you progress, you just have way more options to deal with things as you progress but there are still incredibly hard fights with complete untelegraphed gotcha traps. It also has a ton of tedious and obtuse systems that are either unexplained in game or so densely overcomplicated that can have huge impacts on how good your units are that Im gonna repeat you probably want to crack open at least a miniguide so you arent wasting your time doing things like "using the knight class"

I beat the whole thing over 20 years ago when I knew gently caress all about any of the random rear end systems the game has, you don't need any of that poo poo. Rotate two saves though just in case.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I love how if you raise a unit's faith too high they'll become pacifist church members and leave

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I loved that one Nintendo FFT where after a while they'd have "judges" who would just arbitrarily impose some insane rear end restriction, or they'd appear to punish you or give some even worse penalty or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 1, yep. Its really good because some of the laws are things you cant control because theyre automatic effects of critical hits.In 2 you just lose a bonus prize for breaking the law which is way better and more satisfying.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m doing well. Going to trade in my switch so that the new one only costs me $50. I’ll hold myself over with my backlog of PS4 games

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is your old one broke or are you like exclusively handheld Switchster?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I loved this war of mine, and I liked Frostpunk but I played it about 5 times and finished the 3 scenarios. Is that it unless I buy DLC? Seems a little sparse.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Journey to the Savage Planet is ticking so many loving boxes. Cool movement and exploration options, and it has a Metroid Prime Scan function that actually rewards exploration and investigation with side quests and stronger upgrades. :bisonyes:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Khanstant posted:

Is your old one broke or are you like exclusively handheld Switchster?

they probably just want the new animal crossing themed one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just got my first sub three hour run in OoT rando

It was 2:59:58 but I take that

May 8, 2006

hell yeah

what's your long time goal time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Relax Or DIE posted:

hell yeah

what's your long time goal time

I mean there's like an hour of variability in how fast seeds are but my next goal is for sub-3 to be normal instead of exciting. Then sub-2:30. Sub-2 is very very very rare even for the best racers

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wonder if that fft romhack about snake, link, cloud, ramza, and dante teaming up ever got finished. Probably not.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

I love how if you raise a unit's faith too high they'll become pacifist church members and leave

also why ramza is the strongest mage in the game, because he can never leave no matter how high his faith gets so you can grind him up to the point where he'll always start a fight with 95% magic efficacy without needing to buff

iirc he still has a warn quote after every encounter though???

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol Blizzard really
https://twitter.com/colincornaby/status/1223073101312753664

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Stux posted:

they probably just want the new animal crossing themed one

Oh, that makes sense. I just wish they'd picked anyone else to star on it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol Blizzard really

It's pretty nuts that the old executable from the ancient version still works just fine, but their new fangled attempt is such a mess. I wish they'd never even tried to reforge it, just should've added the to the Blizzard launcher.

Wonder if there's a Burbenog TD going on right now.

edit: Oh nevermind. The launcher for the old games tries to make you update some poo poo. Theyre retroactively making the original worse, lol

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 2, 2020

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Blizzard is a husk. Such a shame :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thread title should have been 28/365 Days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 1, yep. Its really good because some of the laws are things you cant control because theyre automatic effects of critical hits.In 2 you just lose a bonus prize for breaking the law which is way better and more satisfying.

the no knockback law is only in ffta2, pretty sure. in the first game you could end up in a fight with all monsters while the "don't hurt monsters" law was active if you aren't paying attention and don't have any antilaw cards, but there aren't any you can trigger accidentally