Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Someone on the unstickied, free-floating January Chat forums asked what poster's favourite chargen systems in games were and I'm here to lay down some fat opinons, here we go

Preamble: Being the vain, self-interested narcissist I so clearly am, if a character creator comes along I always make myself in it for my first playthrough. This is in no way a tragic attempt at escapism that I will never ever let go of. The screenshots you see below can reasonably be considered facsimiles of what I looked like during the period of the game's release and yes that's exactly as cringeworthy as it sounds.

Saints Row 2:

Best in the series by far and alarmingly progressive for the time of release (2008), Saints Row 2 doesn't give a gently caress who you identify as. With sliders that allow you to be as masculine or feminine as you like regardless of sex as well as six fully unique player character voices, fully voiceacting the game rather than being just limited to generic grunts, Saints Row 2's character creator is one of the game's greatest strengths. It has facial sliders that can go as wacky or as pretty as you like (Enhanced even further with Idolninja's legendary Gentlemen Of The Row mod) and allows for all sorts of bodytypes and additional features.

It's not limited to your character model, though: There are hundreds of clothing items for purchase (Again inflated even further by the GOTR mod), the very vast majority of which can be recoloured, have an array of patterns and can be layered in multiple ways. You can have a bulletproof vest over an overshirt over an undershirt over a vest. There are socks, belts, everything else, and you can make outfits for each to let you switch between as many looks as you want when you're at a clothing store or crib. A cosmetic surgery store lets you change your character whenever you want as well, and you can choose different taunt, cheer and walk animations for your character.

Add to this car modification to ridiculous extremes like the above, extending all the way to pimping out dump trucks and vans, and even customising buildings and gang members, and you've got yourself a bastion of self expression in a wonderfully alive game world.

Later games in the series (Saints Row 4, 2013, above) would be prettier but far less flexible in being able to identify with gender as a spectrum and bodytypes felt a lot more limited: No longer could I be a paunchy, slouching disaster. The layering system in the clothing was removed and clothing was a lot more "out there", fitting the wackier atmosphere the game was going for, but unfortunately this made the character creation feel a lot less powerful. It still felt good running around as a cartoonier version of myself and the above screenshot is something I use occasionally for a display picture.

APB (Now APB: Reloaded)

Infamously Capital B Bad third-person competitive not-really-open-world cops n' robbers game that died once, came back and has been shuffling along broken and forgotten as a F2P nightmare ever since, APB had a unique selling point that worked well and really hasn't been seen again just yet: Full decal customisation of characters, clothing and vehicles, spraypaints and the ability to make your own music and have it play from your car or as a death theme that people hear when they're killed by you. As a game... APB is best left unspoken about. Survivors still get a faraway look in their eyes and may uncontrollably cry or start screaming.

Of course, this degree of flexibility had its drawbacks so naturally there's a lot of edgy bullshit, anime girls, memes and nudity everywhere but some of the coolest designs were remarkable. With a small playerbase, people who had put effort into carving out an identity became instantly recognisable: You'd recognise clans by the coordinated vehicles and colours they flew, top players would show their presence by putting their tag on the side of the biggest building they could find and garish outfits were a given.

What really impresses me, and still does to this day, is that you could genuinely carve out a living just by being really good at designing clothes or working your way around the decal creator. People would shell out a fair chunk of in-game money for a cool shirt or an awesome vehicle and there were people who spent any time playing the actual game and instead just sat around selling and advertising their designs. This is a crafting system I could really get behind and I made a good amount of money just making cute cats and animals for people to put on their clothes. I hope to see this kind of thing again in a game that deserves it at some point.

The game had a sort of "graffitipunk" style with a lot of splotches and splatters and bright colours and people seemed to naturally run with it, which was super cool to see.

Naturally, the Forza series has a beautifully solid decal designer and the cars to go with it, but there's something to be said about a third person multiplayer shooter that gives you such powerful tools to carve out your identity.

City of X and Champions Online:

City of Heroes (2004, and later Villains etc) and Champions Online (2009) stand atop the pile of character creators for the sheer amount of options and flexibility you're given, hampered only by the aged graphics of CoH and the fact that everything good about CO's character creator has been horrifically mutilated since release and placed in tiny packages. This is one of the few games where I didn't make myself because the sheer amount of incredible, fun and interesting choices you have are creativity fuel in their own right. You'll see items they've included and you'll instantly know that you want to build a character around them, or you'll get an idea and say to yourself "but can I do this?" and the answer will be yes, or at least you'll get very close to getting what you want.

Seeing CoH's return early in 2019 was a testament to how good visual design can carry an aged game, because walking into Atlas Park and seeing the hundreds and hundreds of characters running around, many of them original characters given a new chance of life to visit Paragon City for the first time in over a decade is one of my favourite gaming memories from last year. People loved their characters and my kung-fu cop, Russ T, jogging about and hitting ne'er do well's with his mighty metal fists was a blast and a half. Although CO's is shinier and has more advanced options than CoH's, such as material types and glow, I think CoH's still wins for the sheer volume of options and just general charm. The animations for your character are spectacular too, punchy, lively and impactful even today.

X-COM 2:

It's only natural to get attached to your squad in an X-Com game. You celebrate their victories, mourn their defeats, and scream bloody murder when they gently caress up a dead certain shot. You feel all this just by playing the game and watching the characters grow, but X-COM 2 (2016) really pushes that personal connection by allowing you to tune in fine detail their looks, clothing, accessories, voice and even personality. You can write bios for them, assign them nicknames and even write their memorials when they finally bite it. War Of The Chosen (2017) pushed this to its conclusion by allowing you to make propaganda posters of your favourite troops and operations which would show up in-mission in what was a hilarious and adorable little touch.

They didn't need to include any of this, but they did because they know that losing your guys, especially when they look like friends, family, co-workers and genetically altered pets, really twists the knife and forces players to act in ways they wouldn't if the people under their care were nameless, faceless grunts. Hell, you can even colour, modify and name their individual weapons.

Couple this with a modding community which has added a fuckload of accessories, patterns and voicepacks to the game and your diverse rota of alien-busting buddies becomes an extended family you'll care about like your own. Well, okay, maybe not that much, but it's still really loving cool.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I bought Bastion. Never played it

Ironically I read this in The Narrator's voice

Spring Break My Heart? Didn't make it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

homeless snail posted:

i believe that's twee

Nah Undertale is twee *helicopter dabs away*

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

So how long til Ninja becomes the New Voice Of The Fascist Right

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
He's a professional gamer

It's only a matter of time

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Tomorrow I'm going to see the Matilda musical in London with the wife :3:

I love Monster Hunting and dressing up in monster flesh and I love you guys and I hope you have a grand Sunday

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Real hurthling! posted:

Kiryu never has (non phone/chat) sex

Kiryu is just too much of a man to have sex

I don't want an English dub of Yakuza ever but I do have to wonder how the characters would sound that way, especially Majima. Would he be like, Gilbert Gottfried

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 2, 2020

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If making multiple posts is a crime I will be executed by the Social Media Police and I will die screaming over the course of several posts

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I miss instruction manuals

BG2 and Rollercoaster Tycoon were the apex

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
SimCopter was my first exposure to something deviant, disgusting, something that I haven't gotten over the controversy of yet and likely never will

Americans call "Where's Wally" "Where's Waldo"

What's wrong with Wally

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm 31 it's fine it's exactly the same as being 20 only you don't give a gently caress anymore

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Andrast posted:

I'm 29 and I don't really understand why anyone would give a poo poo about turning 30

To be fair having to make the traditional Blood Sacrifice to N'kronoptah, Elder Lord of Time, to enter the dark pact to continue in this line of existence is pretty daunting

You get a blindfold these days though

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh no that was Horney Spray and everyone itt missed their reflex save

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Relax Or DIE posted:

it's called a dex save now grandpa

You whippersnappers with your Advantages and Dragonborn and and and sexy kobolds get off my loving lawn, GET OFF

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Socks are pretty rad, when you're in your late 20's you'll learn the value of a comfy sock

My flesh prison grows weaker, but my love for Video Games burns hot

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Simple graphical styles are a blessing because they allow low budget teams to still make meaningful experiences

Stardew, Dusk, ANATOMY, countless others are all incredible games and even I get tempted to try and make something despite having the artistic ability of a lemon

Personally I think 90's 3D or sketchy drawn art are some of the best mediums for horror games because they naturally obfuscate whatever they're depicting

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm a flush game :smith:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Silent Hill 3 intro theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDCktKqHBGQ

Bop or Slop

its a bop

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Iceborne is bringing the heat when it comes to armour sets, especially for Palicos

Wish the same can be said for weapon designs, but goddamn do I love seeing what armour sets I'm gonna get from whatever freak of the week I've been stabbing

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
A game like Space Marine, but instead of Warhammer it's GWAR

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Kerrzhe posted:

audible gasp

BK and BT were both very fun and good and cool and i'll fight anyone who says otherwise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V46DRC4dEo4

Excuse me you're missing the Master Game, Nuts N' Bolts

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Something I think Western games lack in comparison to Japan's games is the horrible absence of customisable animal sidekicks

Monster Hunter has Palicos (and Poogies)
Phantasy Star has MAGs
MGSV had D-DOG and D-HORSE

Fallout has Dogmeat and Dragon Age had a dog but they count as party members rather than a constant companion

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Disposable Scud posted:

Sands Of Time owns. Can't believe I passed this over, along with a bunch of other 2003 titles, because it wasn't dark enough. gently caress 15 year old me.

The Princes' voice in SoT is just so hot

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

FirstAidKite posted:

Have any of you ever cried over something sad happening in a video game? If so, what and why? I feel dumb for having cried at some game stuff but I also feel like games that do try to go for that kind of emotional response end up being kinda heavy handed in their attempts. Of course it is also influenced by how you express your emotions and feelings, too.

The end of Walking Dead season 1, the end of Life Is Strange, the end of Senua's Sacrifice, the first level of Tetris Effect in VR on my first playthrough and the end of Mafia 1

All of these with the exception of Tetris are extremely good at getting you attached to their characters and I am prone to *-my immersion-*ing but TWD and LiS1 both did the same to my wife

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The wife and I are most likely going to be getting our first catte this month :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

precision posted:

NOT IN THAT WAY

It's okay to be horney, and not illegal

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

FirstAidKite posted:

Yay

Adopting from a shelter I hope

Of course, unfortunately we can't steal the little ragamuffins off the street because "pets are property" despite the fact they'd be so happy with us

Relax Or DIE posted:

post pics or risk a banning at my hands

It's the Law to take pictures of your Catte for the thread, once it is within our grasp it will be surrounded by the purrpurrazzi

I don't have a good fighting game opening line but I do have a fighting game video for this game I played a demo of when I was a child and have never forgotten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MHOmw59GQU&t=111s

It's no One Must Fall but I love the drawn graphics

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

FirstAidKite posted:

You seem to be a good and reasonable and sensible person so I doubt this is the case but you're not going to have them declawed, right?

Good christ no, perish the thought

My family's had cattes in the past and I consider every scratch and bite a blessing, all our furniture is secondhand stuff anyway so it can go ham

E: No catte yet so here's my Palico

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 6, 2020

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Dischorr_N posted:

Your Palico looks like my Palico which looks like my cat.

It's based on and named after my wife's ex-cat :unsmith:

She cried with happiness when she saw it and she loves seeing what outfits I can get for him next, but I cannot give him any helmets which hide his face

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

al-azad posted:

Sacred is probably my favorite clickfest because it’s masked as a Eurojank RPG. Sort of similar to Divine Divinity which I liked fine enough but drat is it balanced like poo poo where a single skill point is the difference between doing 0 damage and one hit killing.

Silverfall was a great ("great") Eurojank ARPG with chainsaw swords and steam powered super armour (and magic/nature stuff if you're super boring and mega lame)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Leggo my ahegao

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I bought a lightbulb that is connected to the wifi and I can tell Alexa to change its colour

Not only does this allow me to live out a horrible cyberpunk dystopian nightmare where a genuine concern is my lightbulb losing its internet connection, its primary use is to set ambient lighting to match the game I'm playing. I even have a setting where I gave it a bunch of shades of orange so it can flicker like a torchlight for fantasy games

My name is Songbearer and I suffer from Terminal Immersion Syndrome. Symptoms are a loss of dignity, the inability to look oneself in the eye in a mirror and a general feeling of shame

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Mining bitcoin through my flashing red light

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Cowcaster posted:

i have never given a woman an orgasm so i have no idea what it's supposed to look like, face wise

In my experience it involves a lot of laughing harshly directly into my face and use of the word "limp"

I don't see the appeal

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Horneyposting, much like barefoot, Is Legal

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Jay Rust posted:

Searching for “diabloette”, getting nothing

Treehead Woodfistette
Extra Strong Extra Fast Extra Horney Ahegao Enhanced

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Roleplaying is fun, I'm a level 6 half orc barbarian in the bedroom.

My wife wants to cast Silence on me to stop my snoring but jokes on her, I prepared Vocalise

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Sonic The Ahegao

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

RBA Starblade posted:

More like Obored Halfway-In

I love Obra Dinn but Obra :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU