Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stux posted:

anyway as an n64 kid i can say very confidently the ps1 was better and anyone saying it had depressing games never understood the joy of tomba

I feel like that quote is directly talking about Klonoa, the cutest looking game ever designed with the biggest gut punch ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

a glitch posted:

Does the improved version of Final Fantasy X count? If not then Path of Exile is defenetly uses a skill forest.

The Journey devs released a journey-like game where your skills are obelisks in a literally forest so 2019 I guess.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is path of exiles good as just a single player loot rpg? I want kill monsters while making numbers go up

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sacred is probably my favorite clickfest because it’s masked as a Eurojank RPG. Sort of similar to Divine Divinity which I liked fine enough but drat is it balanced like poo poo where a single skill point is the difference between doing 0 damage and one hit killing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Songbearer posted:

Silverfall was a great ("great") Eurojank ARPG with chainsaw swords and steam powered super armour (and magic/nature stuff if you're super boring and mega lame)

There was a game called A Story With A Dragon in it or some such that had flame throwers and cool modern tech. Too bad the game sucked so hard it was delisted from Steam. And I’m pretty sure the protagonist was a straight pedo because the intro is him lusting at a 15 year old vagrant princess on his couch.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

i give up, i can't find any mario characters with ahoges. i did find a bowsette but she also had a massive ahegao at the same time which imo cancels out the ahoge

Wiggler’s flower is totally an ahoge.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It was pretty lovely in Luigi's Mansion 3 that they give you this super suck power and you use it a grand total of one time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I hope From goes back to Armored Core on PS5.

Speaking of which, what’s the likelihood of there actually being a Demon’s Souls remaster? I still want to finish the game but don’t want to play on ps3.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FF7 represents the last of the wild late 80s excess in Japanese pop culture where everything was shamelessly borrowed from Lovecraft, Vampire Hunter D, Blade Runner, Akira, and Robot Carnival. It’s a big beautiful mess of ideas thrown in a blender with a huge budget.

So it’s a good game ok

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay so what if the planet was a living creature with its own defense system and BP oil found a great old one and cloned it successfully and a failed clone chased down the great old one while witnessing the hellscape of BP Oil’s modern capitalist world of ruined coal towns and a subjugated Japan turned into a tourist poo poo hole and a Disney World built on top of a literal prison?

FUND IT!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anyone who lives in Orlando knows what it’s like to live in a swamp next to the greatest monument to humanity’s excess.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm happy for them, but there aren't many possible male romatic leads that i'd pair up with mario

luigi on the other hand...

The bean prince would’ve loved Mario tenderly but if you don’t make Booster and Bowser kiss Mario in SMRPG then wtf are you doing?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Great now I have Thong Song in my head
(That thong thong thong thang thong)

Humble Bundle is a bit meh this month, outside of Frost Punk and Okami.

Post a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure pic, what game you want, and I'll pm you the key. :gifttank:
I have 8 choices left.

The only “bad” game in there is maybe Cryofall and only because it’s an early access multiplayer.

Don’t sleep on Project Warlock. It’s a retro shooter with actual original ideas but it got overshadowed by Ion Fury and it’s transphobic community.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Maybe people were super tired of Batman when Arkham Knight came out but I played the game 2 years late like I always do with AAA games and it was loving banging. It was everything I wanted in Arkham City which was held back by being a 100x larger Asylum but then it actually did something original with Joker.

By the time I get to Witcher 3 it will be the same amount of time from Witcher 1 to 3 so see y’all in 2023

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I went through a brawler kick prior to Arkham and I’m going to say Arkham combat knock offs are actually the greatest thing to happen.

I never want to go back to the punch-punch-kick style of combat ever again thank you. From Fighting Force to maybe The Warriors it was a dark time for brawlers.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stux posted:

everything the platinum devs have touched since before clover was better than arkham combat

Hmmm nah. God Hand is funny but the highlight are bosses and whenever you’re fighting more than one disposable goon at a time it’s just tedious. Platinum themselves are so hit and miss they’re just coasting on good Bayonetta vibes. I’m just crawling through Nier A for the narrative because everything else is terrible.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AI's gameplay portions are trial-and-error trash. I did not feel like I was missing anything using a guide on the "puzzles" and it's a drat shame because everything else is really good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

tbf when your access to internet is limited and you got like 2 games a year at best you find ways to get good. I don't ever want to touch a Pokemon game before exp share was a thing that didn't need to be held so I guess that limits me to XY and beyond.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sonic has always been an anti-fascist environmentalist but I'm happy it's in a movie now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures of the loving prepper colony one roommate set up in the backyard. Dude used to live in the woods stealing from local farms, real good with his hands and poo poo. He created a beautiful lit pathway using mason jars and christmas lights and he turned the tool shed into an insulated house that was like a 90s stoner attic room. I bought an original Atari 2600 and dozens of pristine 1980s games off him for a bag of tobacco and cigarette rollers.

It's a shame the dude sucked, couldn't pay poo poo, creeped on 20yo girls despite being like 55, believed literally every conspiracy theory about Obama, and every time I tried to hook him up with veteran's benefits he found a new excuse to dodge me but boy did he load up at the food pantry while selling his stamps for smokes. So glad I got out of there before Trump became the front runner, I might have murdered the dude.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anyone who says Batman’s combat is boring I can only imagine them spamming attack over and over.

The Arkham games and Kamiya’s games actually share a lot in that it’s all about looking as cool as loving possible, if you’re playing safe you’re playing wrong. But where the Kamiya and Itagaki brand were all about navigating scenarios of complex monsters, Arkham made each individual enemy a puzzle piece and could create interesting scenarios based on different combinations of those pieces.

Asylum was simplistic but laser focused on basically being a Zelda dungeon crawler. But with City you had the knife wielding guys who we’re more complex to counters, guys who couldn’t be countered at all, guys you had to stun before attacking, and the gadgets were deeply integrated in the combat to make up for the extra control needed. And with no conventional blocking or complex maneuvering that’s a hallmark of DMC or Ninja Gaiden the best defense is a flawless offense is the best defense. No getting mired in navigating the environment mid-combat, the better you do the finer control you have over Batman until he’s jumping like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Most of the copy-cats took the wrong lesson. Like Mordor whatever was a fine series and I like the different modifications on the boss orcs but aside from them an orc is an orc is an orc. Even Spider-Man had enemies pulling triple duty, you need one guy who is deadly up close he can’t also have a ranged attack and an AoE.

Buuuut anybody who has played The Bouncer or any of those weird action games (remember that loving Tekken spinoff?) the world is better for ditching z-targeting and three hit punch punch kick combos.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Nier:A is okay so far. I'm sure it is going to improve as the plot deepends. I just saw some naked dickless dude go up in level repeatedly as I beat him up. The game isn't very good about explaining how upgrades work. I'm still not really sure what I am doing so have pretty much ignored it. I'm guessing at some point I will need to do upgrades.

I've also been playing DQ3 on my phone. I'm amazed this was a NES title. The first two games were very NES. But this one is pretty good. Also, the pinsaro switcheroo was one of the better twists I've seen in a game.

Are you talking about weapon/pod upgrades or installing chips? Weapon upgrades just do whatever weapons you like, most of the items needed are easy to come by and there’s no need grinding for anything. Pod upgrades I didn’t get to until the third play because the items are super rare and again don’t waste your time grinding for poo poo. Chips I always let the game set them for me and then I’d tweak them as needed. I think the auto-item is most necessary and I like the chips that slow things down when you dodge or create a shockwave when you attack.

Nier A is frustrating. A lot of fun ideas but so many decisions waste your time. It’s for thematic reasons but I’ve probably lost 3 hours to random crashes or discovering a random ending and Nier A does. To auto-save so gently caress off player.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stux posted:

the difference, the very big difference, is that the batman combat is autopiloting and has no expression. the enemy archetypes are a surprise once and then sit into your normal routine. it rewards doing combat in a single way and anything else isnt just ineffective, it doesnt work. the complex maneuvering in those games is to facillitate offense, and you have actual options and approaches, in fact the entire point of them is to mess around to find pointlessly stylish ways to kill things for the sake of it. batman doesnt have that, its painting by numbers and insanely dull. theres no flair or expression and no avenues for it, and the "flawless offense" is mindnumbingly simple to achieve. it aims to create visually exciting fights through canned animations rather than letting you have an exciting fight.

ill take a game trying something else for combat over a batman copy every day of the week.

Yeah, I’m just going to assume you haven’t played a Batman game beyond Asylum because to say you have no options is an outright lie. More so than any action game that lets you run away endlessly until you turn around and fight Batman is about analyzing the environment and controlling the crowd. When you’ve got a guy with a stun baton in your face, two separate dudes trying to open gun lockers, and a bruiser between them you’re not painting by numbers.

The worst thing in character action games is how many little cheats are used to inflate difficulty. Like I know I’ll hate a game when I maneuver behind an enemy or stun lock them with skillful play and they’ve got some kind of Guilty Gear rear end tech hit or 360 degree AoE attack while soaking damage unperturbed. Like without fail the hardest enemies in every From Software game are the ones that will track you mid-attack and god it sucks so bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stux posted:

ive beat asylum, city, origins and knight lol its literally so basic, its one way. its the most mind numbingly dull system of combat anyones ever come up with and you do have no options. even what you just described is absolutely painting by numbers because there is one solution to this problem, and the game will literally tell you it.

this is the fundamental difference really, in one genre you are given a blank canvas and a comical amount of possible things to do and just left to do whatever feels cool. in batman combat you are a given routine. when i say no options im not lying. the paltry gadgets are not "options" in city 3 of your "options" have the exact same outcome with a slightly different visual representation its a joke. options let you actually approach the combat in a novel way and discover fun stuff to do. theres no discovery in batman, its a puzzle to be solved except the puzzle is "put the square peg in the square hole".

the second statement is just pure salt and i wont embarrass us both by pretending its legitimate

ah yes, my many options of light attack, heavy attack, and dodge roll. Can’t wait to see how this is stretched over 10 hours.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Removing ME1’s rag dolling powers was indeed tragic.

hatty posted:

I’d just like more action games with aggressive enemies. It seems like a lot of them, even DMCV, have enemies just waiting around waiting to be attacked. Ninja Gaiden is still the best at making you feel like you are winning by the skin of your teeth. Bayonetta with witch time turned off gets there too.

I need to get around to Senior but don’t the enemies in that become more aggressive the more defensive you play? I’ve seen people do extremely well fighting like monkeys while some people just guarding and sidestepping enemies will turn into a tornado of death.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

stev posted:

The DS was hampered by having extremely low tech 3D, causing most games on it to look like poo poo. The 2D games were generally good once they'd stopped relying on the gimmicks.

The 3DS was hampered by being a piece of poo poo in every conceivable way.

Now that people are getting nostalgic over PS1 aesthetics the DS is rightfully getting re-examined as Nintendo's PS1 aesthetic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

which one fits the most comfortably in the human anal canal, that’s the metric i use for determining the quality of portable gaming devices

I was looking up images of Game Boy Micro to post as a joke and the first image was an advertisement for a silicone penis so there's your answer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My search history has never included packers for trans men but now they do so I'm going to say Google ads are a self fulfilling prophecy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Until the best traditional Zelda leaves the 3DS it's still a system you must own.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

i accidentally watched an episode of Gumball about video games and it's very clear that someone played a PS1 era Final Fantasy game while writing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wG3xrk74ro

Gumball is millennial nerd nostalgia the show. OK KO is also really good. There’s a gay couple and one of them is straight up Tom Guycott from Clash at Demonhead. They somehow convinced Sega to do a Sonic episode and he’s posed the same as an Easter egg from Crusader of Centy.

They named a character Dendy and she has a great episode about conflicting feelings as a fan of a problematic hobby, it’s great.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 11, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

wait dendy like the bootleg console?

Yep.

Actually every show CN has produced last 5 years has been good. Disney got some good stuff too, I’m sad my childhood was animated versions of hard R movies.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

glad i was born in the era of rockos modern life, to show me how to live a deeply anxious and neurotic life as an adult

My favorite episode is when he marries Filburt to avoid being deported. That or Bighead literally coming out the closet to reveal he was a clown.

I also just rewatched Goofy Movie after 20 years and wow the writing is amazing. That movie got the short end by Disney.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Pretty much every third-person action game made between 2012-2017 had some kind of "press button to highlight stuff in the environment" function. I think developers have mostly gotten better about this as time has gone on.

Even Persona 5 had it. Honestly I would take detective vision over the "open world sonar" seen in games like No Man's Sky or Death Stranding. If given a choice let me toggle that poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

As bad as it is I actually think RPO is worse because Kluwe is at least kind of trying and isn't just listing off names of movies or games or bands

Unrelated, I am now addicted to Bimbuñuelos. They're ridiculously tasty.

You should try jalebi. Local restaurant makes fresh batches and I'll buy a pound at a time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

the delight in reading new food names i've never seen before and looking forward to trying them out followed by the crushing disappointment finding out that they're sweets and pastries

What, you got the beetus or something?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i just don't like sweet stuff. savory treats all the way baby.

Well let me tell you about medu vada, a lentil stuffed deep fried donut. loving delicious.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RELEASE THE HEDGEHOG TEETH CUT!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay Sonic was actually decent and they tossed in a ton of sequel bait without being boring or overwhelming. It’s weird I live in a time where there’s good Sonic stuff and none of it is made internally by Sega.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

If you’re the type of person to see a sonic movie on opening weekend your opinion is highly suspect!!!

Premium 21+ seats too. I’m not watching Sonic with screaming kids around me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was actually the guy turned away at the evening showing for wearing a Sonic weed shirt.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Well good news, Sonic is on course to make a fuckload of money this weekend so we'll probably get a sequel.

I’m legit happy because between the comics, Boom tv show, Sonic inspired platformers, various team ups cameos and mashups, Mania, and the movie everyone but Sonic Team gets Sonic.

It also means Sonic has surpassed Mario in one thing. Sega does what nintendont