Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My valentine gift will be presented through interpretive epilepsy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My birthday is tomorrow, one more step towards death, hurray!

Happy almost bday! :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Thank you, it's a real strange one this year. Turning 36 so there's the stress of just aging to cope with, but 4 days from now is also the year anniversary of the last time I spoke to my dad on the phone before he died and there's a lot of feelings involved. And I should really be focusing on school work but haha, why do that when there's a dead gay forum to browse and waste the day away on?

I promise you that this dead gay forum will still be here in one form or another when you finish your school work. It's fine to rest and relax but make sure to keep yourself working at a steady pace so you can still keep up with your schooling without burning yourself out along the way. I hope the school stuff goes as smoothly as possible so that you can maintain a healthy balance of managing your responsibilities with your time unwinding from said responsibilities. :backtowork:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In theme with the thread title, I love that in Shadow Hearts: From the New World, a boss named Shub-Niggurath was mistranslated into "Jeb Niglas"

Please clap

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

So why do people on video game twitter keep pretending Kiryu from the Yakuza series is a character who "doesn't know what sex is", those game are incredibly horny and you can take girls to hotels in most of them.

I imagine it's a joke about Kiryu being so naive that he doesn't necessarily understand adult stuff.

It's just a joke.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I love how if you raise a unit's faith too high they'll become pacifist church members and leave

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wonder if that fft romhack about snake, link, cloud, ramza, and dante teaming up ever got finished. Probably not.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I never played FFTA but I remember someone telling me that the game doesn't even have a proper ending, just that it kinda ends with the player being able to keep playing but the story itself doesn't wrap up. Is that true or was the person just making poo poo up?

The White Dragon posted:

also why ramza is the strongest mage in the game, because he can never leave no matter how high his faith gets so you can grind him up to the point where he'll always start a fight with 95% magic efficacy without needing to buff

iirc he still has a warn quote after every encounter though???

Wouldn't this apply to guest/unique party members too or do they actually manage to leave?

Honestly, one of the reasons I never actually finished FFT was because I was hellbent on trying to get the best possible team pretty much from the start. And by best possible team I mean team of my favorite kinds of units with perfect brave/faith stats and other minmaxed stuff and also trying to learn how the Calculator works and also trying to farm up a good Dragoon and making sure Ramza yelled as much as possible or whatever his special skill was as well as unlocking and obtaining the various other special classes. I never even got to the point where I would have been compelled to turn Gafgarion into a ninja with throw so that I could obtain his equipment after his betrayal.

Also, I sat through that damned opening so many times. l i t t l e m o n e y

Also also, it took me like 3 losses at the start of the game to realize that I had units besides Ramza I could deploy lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm disappointed that in the list of 250 animal crossing villager entities that they didn't include my gay best friend Zell or my chill best mate Bob.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

good morning. i am turning 30 in a week. this is bad

Happy birthday-in-a-week regardless.

And speaking of, happy birthday ONE YEAR LATER :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The January thread was our most replied to thread for General Chat Games threads. Granted it went a day over, but it's still had the most responses by a large margin.

Does that account for people doing multiple posts in a row some of the posters do? That's not a slam against those that do that, I mean I've done that too, just wondering if the numbers wouldn't be a bit bloated that way.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Awkward...

Nah mate I ain't throwin shade

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I do it too :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kerrzhe posted:

never gonna stop thinking about a Bird who is also a Knight

Good news then.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SeXReX posted:

That's their whole thing

2 games a month that anyone on the patreon gets. At the level I'm at I also get the source code for all of them.

Are their games mostly good or are they just like "oh this is interesting for something pushed out on such a quick schedule" or is the quality all over the place?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm reminded of how any decently-animated 2D game sometimes gets categorized negatively as being a flash game because only flash would have decent 2d animation. Mostly thinking about Hollow Knight here.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can't believe Hollow Knight's gonna be unplayable soon because of all the flash bugs

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Let's time travel back to the late 2000s

http://ovenofpower.ytmnd.com/

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Gripweed posted:

If you're going to criticize anything about Animal Crossing, it should be that the games promote Anaximanders' discredited cylindrical earth model

Would you prefer if it was promoting the donut-shape that basically every game with an overworld has had?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Something I loved about Terranigma is that the underworld used the mode 7 or whatever to show the parts of the underworld you weren't on via the sky.

I don't actually know how that would map to a shape though. It is meant to represent a hollow earth but I assume the way it was mapped would be like...the inside of a donut maybe? Not the hole but like the inside of it. Not sure.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

then saw Groundhog Day for the first time

How'd you enjoy it? I like it a lot and I should go rewatch it some time, I haven't seen it in years. I know people can get pretty down on it but I like Vigo a lot and the cheesy bits are fun too like the news report about the Titanic and the last bit with the statue of liberty.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

shadow hearts starts with the main character trying to grab alice (co-protagonist) trump-style by the pussy (not literally but he asks if she feels tingly down there and reaches for it)

and then he finds her passed out, and debates raping her

then you get to a cannibal village and a gay accupuncturist inflicts gay panic on the male characters with every other line of dialogue

IDK if it is any consolation but Yuri definitely tones that poo poo down a few towns in when he starts getting his poo poo together instead of being annoyed by the migraines, graveyard ghosts, and having to put up with Mata Hari loving with him. Meiyuan's gay stuff sticks around though and flamboyant homosexuality becomes a major component of the series, panic or otherwise.

e: like, imo Yuri is one of the defining archetypes of a video game character who is transformed from an absolute shithead into someone more accepting of himself and less sabotaging and more in control. I would even argue that the fusion stuff is a more blatant representation of his growth as a person. He is unpleasant, but the journey of his growth from the start of his quest in Manchuria is pretty good imo

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 3, 2020

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
All I want out of animal crossing is for the villagers to be even more distinct from one another through the conversations. I don't know if pocket camp did anything about that but I just really hope that the villagers will be even more unique and distinct because it's a shame when you can talk to them and end up with the same few conversations over and over between the same couple villager types.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The mario party animal crossing was really bad and I'm not surprised the only good part was ported over to new leaf.

The happy home designer game looked neat but it is sad knowing that the villagers don't actually care about anything you do. They will just tell you exactly what item they want and they don't care beyond that simple check to determine if they like the house or not. It should have been more like style savvy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Looking forward to Platinum's take on Pikmin 4

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

but kickstarter is bad

How so? The union thing? Because that got sorted out and the union's stance was always "keep using kickstarter, don't boycott unless we say so"

Cowcaster posted:

so why the number 4 then

The Wonderful 404

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I can't stop listening to Muse's Black Holes and Revelations album. I'm 15 years late on it but I'd never listened to the full album until recently and drat that's some good music.

Also, Banjo Kazooie is good and so is Tooie even if both have some flaws (some more major than others).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is the only approaching decent game the two were in and its still chockfull of garbage.

I feel like this is more than a little bit hyperbolic

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Found out there's a cat cafe in Greensburg, that's not far away at all.

I don't think I could ever go to one though. I'd be too sad about not being able to take the cats home with me. I already know one of the reasons I could never foster cats is because KCB & I would always end up as failed fosters.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello

This is a dumb thing but I want to show a thing that makes me chuckle a little.

In the House of the Dead series, the 3rd game had a secret antagonist introduced in one of the ending. This antagonist showed up again in another ending of House of the Dead 4 and its gimmicky followup 4 Special, and then the 5th House of the Dead game came out and he was the main antagonist and they finally gave him a name.

So in 3, he looked like this.

In 4, he looked like this.

In Scarlet Dawn/5, he looked like this.

The funny thing to me though is that 4 and 5 are prequels to 3. 3 takes place at the end of the House of the Dead timeline with the world already having been hosed over and humanity fighting back a losing battle after both the Curien Manor incident, both Venice* incidents, the Scarecrow Manor incident, and some stuff hints that some of this biological weapon/genetic mutation/zombie poo poo was being studied and experimented with as far back as the late 1800s, not to mention the theories about how Overkill factors into it since Overkill left some openings with Papa Caesar saying that Clement had powerful friends in the mutant/zombie/BOW crowd and there's nothing stopping them from just slotting Curien, Goldman, or Thornheart in there later (or someone else entirely to try and tie all this poo poo together).

Long story short, I posted all these words and pics just to say "lol the character introduced in the 3rd game got older in more recent entries even though the more recent entries take place before the 3rd game"

*turns out it is not confirmed as Venice but it is basically Venice

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Unfortunately I've never played past like stage 2 of a house of the dead because I never wanted to waste all my money on continues

Thankfully there are numerous ways to experience the game without having to worry about it. I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of 1 somewhere down the line but there are PC versions of most of the games or PC typing versions at least for some. Only one I'm not sure about is 4 and 4 Special, the latter especially since idk how much of the arcade cabinet gimmick is coded into the game itself. 4 Special's gimmick was that you sat in a rotating chair that would switch from one part of the cabinet to another so you'd get the experience of being surrounded by zombies.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember reading a guide on gamefaqs for one of the house of the dead games and the guide had a section for how to properly hold the gun and it kept referring to screenshots from metal gear solid and saying that you should study how Snake holds his gun and hold it the same way. It also brought up the usefulness of keeping a finger near the end of the gun so that instead of shooting off screen to reload you could just shoot your fingertip to reload.

High level arcade play is cool, whether it's people showing off or just people playing really well. You've got people who will play with both guns in a rail shooter, play as 2 characters in a sidescrolling shooter/beat em up, people rocking out at the taiko drum cabinet, and then you've got people who are just really loving good at achieving high scores on pinball tables or in game cabinets like pac-man or the people who are pretty much unbeatable on a versus fighter cabinet setup.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

That reminds me that I saw some Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing footage today and I remembered that they didn't want to use the word "dead" so they called House of the Dead "Curien Mansion"

I didn't know they avoided the name, I just assumed it was Curien Mansion because that's what it was :P Though it sucks that the house of the dead reps were those 2 zombies from the spinoff goofy arcade game and not James Taylor and Gary Stewart. Like, All Stars Racing Transformed was practically begging for those 2. House of the Dead 2 already had a driving section and a boating section and it's not like they couldn't just have them fly around on Emperor or Tower :v:

GUI posted:

As someone who was really into The House of the Dead back in the day I'd assume if they cared to explain it couldn't they say that between both games he injected himself with poo poo to be a young immortal man? It'd fit right into how goofy the franchise is.

Yeah probably. Though the photo makes it funnier still.

The photo from Scarlet Dawn shows him looking pretty old already, not as he does in Scarlet Dawn but still old, and the photo would have to be taken by 1998 at the latest since that's when Curien died. Then he ages backwards a bit by 2004 for the second Goldman Venice incident in House of the Dead 4, then goes back to being super old 2 years later in 06, and then ages backward until the apocalypse happens and then in 2019 the military raid on the EFI building occurs.

Thornheart's whole schtick so far has pretty much been talking about diseases, surviving them, evolving beyond humanity, and specifically pointing out poo poo like the cure that Curien develops for his terminally ill son having another more important purpose. Thornheart already said he survived some terminal illness and his obsession is pretty much just trying to guide humanity to a new stage of evolution through the mutative properties of all the research done between him, Curien, Goldman, and possibly Clement. Curien managed to get himself resurrected as the Wheel of Fate and the cure apparently worked on Daniel and fixed his terminal illness but, depending on how good of a shot you are, Daniel is fine if you're bad or the serum turns him into a zombie if you're good. I wouldn't be surprised if the cure is some kind of new breakthrough in the creation of new creatures, though it's a tad late considering how hosed the world is by 2019.

I know the reality of it is that they didn't think that far ahead regarding Thornheart's design though lol.

Also there is one major arcana card left meaning a new House of the Dead would probably end up having a bunch of refights, unfortunately, though it'd be cool if they used the minor arcana as well, just using the 4 suits for 4 bosses and then the last one can be the Devil.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 5, 2020

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Have any of you ever cried over something sad happening in a video game? If so, what and why? I feel dumb for having cried at some game stuff but I also feel like games that do try to go for that kind of emotional response end up being kinda heavy handed in their attempts. Of course it is also influenced by how you express your emotions and feelings, too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's an ff14 cyber elf, I'm only familiar with mega man zero cyber elves

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What did the cliffyb tweet say? It looks like it was deleted.

Also sorry I kinda passed out sometime after the sad games question without even giving an example. I was watching some of the cutscenes leading up to the ending of shadow hearts covenant and just the way everything was done and came together and the use of the music and scenery was enough to make me tear up. Such a good series.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was hoping that Poker Night 2 would lead to a series of telltale venture bros games but they ended up down the path of the walking dead style of games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Songbearer posted:

The wife and I are most likely going to be getting our first catte this month :3:

Yay

Adopting from a shelter I hope