Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'll find you, Egg Baron :argh:

No you won’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yes I will :colbert:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:luca: for mayor

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Current event: I’m transiting through Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to points in West Africa* and there are a bunch of people in the airport wearing masks. However, I’ve seen more than a few people wearing ones that don’t cover their noses, another guy wearing a painter’s mask, one guy wearing it around his neck, and a few minutes ago when I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth, a guy wearing a mask came in, pissed at one of the urinals, then left without washing his hands.

*yes, I do realize how stupid it is to fly to Ethiopia to cross the continent again.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

pantslesswithwolves posted:

a guy wearing a mask came in, pissed at one of the urinals, then left without washing his hands.
Bonus points if he was tapping away on his phone the whole time.

I've run into more people doing that than I'd care to remember...

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Bonus points if he was tapping away on his phone the whole time.

I've run into more people doing that than I'd care to remember...

I just assume by default that I have interrupted them taking a photo of their honker and are trying to play it off when that happens.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Current event: I’m transiting through Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to points in West Africa* and there are a bunch of people in the airport wearing masks. However, I’ve seen more than a few people wearing ones that don’t cover their noses, another guy wearing a painter’s mask, one guy wearing it around his neck, and a few minutes ago when I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth, a guy wearing a mask came in, pissed at one of the urinals, then left without washing his hands.

*yes, I do realize how stupid it is to fly to Ethiopia to cross the continent again.

How is Ethiopia? It's on my bucket list of places to visit in Africa.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I’m just passing through right now, but I did spend about a week in Addis earlier last year. I enjoyed it- Ethiopia has a very distinct cultural heritage to it, and I enjoyed going to a few of the museums around Meskel Square (Addis doesn’t really have a “downtown” area so to speak; this is about as close to a central landmark as possible.) The National Museum is cool and has some neat exhibits, and they also throw some low-key shade at the Italians for getting their asses kicked the first time they tried to invade. The Red Terror Martyrs’ Museum was really crazy, especially since when I went, the power was out so I was looking at the exhibits with my pocket flashlight. Coming around a corner and shining a light on a display case full of skulls is a pretty :stonk: experience.

I wish I had more of a chance to get out and explore, but what I saw was pretty cool. Addis is a safe city by anyone’s standards, and if you have even the bare minimum of street smarts and situational awareness you’ll be fine. One thing that I didn’t prepare for was the altitude- Addis is at 8,000 feet and I felt like I was low-key hungover for days. I’ve been to a dozen countries in Africa and I’ve found something I’ve really liked about almost every one, but I’d say my favorites in no particular order have been Uganda, Burkina Faso, Zimbabwe, Ethiopia and Guinea-Bissau.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Found an Ethiopian restaurant near by. If American food in general tasted like that being vegetarian would be super easy.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Just flew seatac-lax, it was exactly the same. Most of those hospital masks, one dude wearing one of those white dust masks, and a few wearing those cloth smog masks or whatever they get marketed as.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bird food bathtub posted:

Found an Ethiopian restaurant near by. If American food in general tasted like that being vegetarian would be super easy.

Truth. Until I tried Indian and even Mediterranean food like hummus as a teen I never understood how non-crazy people could be vegetarian.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I wish I liked Indian food. Everyone in my family loves it. But I don't like curry, and can't stand the smell of it, so whenever we go out to Indian, I just eat something else later.

And yes, I've tried other Indian food, but the fact every restaurant smells like curry kills it for me.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
If you dont like tandoori chicken then you're irredeemable

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bulletsponge13 posted:

But I don't like curry, and can't stand the smell of it

You should ask God for a refund on your taste buds and sense of smell, they're clearly broken.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Sadly i love Indian food but some of the recipes give me migraines because of a food allergy. No glorious taste is worth losing sight in an eye and throwing up for two days

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You should ask God for a refund on your taste buds and sense of smell, they're clearly broken.

I blame it on chow hall duty my third tour. I didn't like curry before, but 4 days of smelling nothing but curry for most of a day was pretty brutal. The TCNs made curry after every meal with whatever poo poo was left over that they wanted to use. It looked good- most Indian food does- but being unfond of the food to start with it just killed any desire to even try curry again. I mean I have- every so often I retry foods I don't like to see if my taste change- but I never want to.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
If you don't like spicy poo poo, or maybe it's the spicies they use in regular curry that are making you have a bad reaction, try korma curry - it's not spicy, and it's kind of sweet. It's cream based. It's delicious.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Stravag posted:

Sadly i love Indian food but some of the recipes give me migraines because of a food allergy. No glorious taste is worth losing sight in an eye and throwing up for two days

I've had some pretty good curry....

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slim Pickens posted:

Just flew seatac-lax, it was exactly the same. Most of those hospital masks, one dude wearing one of those white dust masks, and a few wearing those cloth smog masks or whatever they get marketed as.

I had a terrible cough while flying last week and I wore a mask over my mouth only because I figured I couldnt spray particles out my nose. Oh well, I got the drat cough from flying earlier in the week.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What is that spice in Indian food that they use in chickens and byriani rice that looks a bit like a seed pod or fennel but is very aromatic? It’s always so drat good but I have no idea what it is.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Saffron and cardamom are the usual.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Bare minimum mask would be a surgical mask and you gotta make sure it covers your dang nose and you punch the wire on top to make it somewhat snug on your face. Lotsa poo poo flies out of your nose when you aren't paying attention!!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hekk posted:

Addis Ababba is a gorgeous city, and the countryside is really neat too. Go see the stone-hewn churches.

Honestly not a big fan of the food though. Something about injera :shrug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

If you dont like tandoori chicken then you're irredeemable

Also fellow kiwi next time you're in Thames, of all places, try Royal Kitchen. Just about the last place you would expect to find good Indian but...

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

What is that spice in Indian food that they use in chickens and byriani rice that looks a bit like a seed pod or fennel but is very aromatic? It’s always so drat good but I have no idea what it is.

Sounds like cardamom.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Patware posted:

Sounds like cardamom.

Yup

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Eej posted:

Lotsa poo poo flies out of your nose when you aren't paying attention!!

poo poo only flies out of my butt, and generally only when I'm actively willing it to. You might want to see a doctor.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
poo poo flew out of my butt in a very fluid manner for about 8 years, and my doctor visits regarding that condition are in the high two-digits, so I would like to second that recommendation to see a physician

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hekk posted:

I've only been through the Addis airport but I've heard good things from the people who were there long term.
But you need to put Rwanda on your list. It was absolutely beautiful.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Mask chat:

I work at a supply room for a big research university chemistry department. We carry 3m dust masks like you might pop on at your construction site while you're ripping lumber or halving bricks for an hour or two. Usually, our customers will buy them onesie twosie for whatever is going on in their lab. The other day while we were chatting about coronavirus, my boss told me that the Chinese researchers and grad students had been buying them by 20's and 30's and he thinks there's a relationship. I laughed because, well, it's the wrong kind of mask, but yeah, sure, maybe they're mailing them home. He doesn't feel comfortable bringing it up to anyone cause it seems kind of racist? I agreed, but more importantly, frankly who cares what they spend their research funding on, they aren't stealing out of our warehouse -- no harm no foul. Literally as we were talking about it a Chinese guy came through and checked out a stack of 20 of them. I looked at the transaction record and sure enough, most customers had bought 2 or 3 at a time, but last week there were about 8 transactions where a mr or ms Wang or Tong or Zhang had bought 20 or 30 lmao

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
How do plague doctor masks rate? I saw one being worn at school

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Any factory that makes masks must be running 24/7. Too bad they’re probably located in China.

Related to the mask stockpiling, when I worked at a Seattle area Costco we’d sometimes have Chinese tour buses come to shop, and they’d buy massive amounts of vitamins and supplements. Which was fine as they were nice and it wasn’t like we were running out. I think it was to ship home as there are issues with purity of vitamins made in China.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:siren: My Wife :siren: is a veterinarian and mostly does surgeries and spay/neuters. Anyhow, she said they found out that they are super back ordered on face masks as of last week.

brains
May 12, 2004

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Mask chat:

I work at a supply room for a big research university chemistry department. We carry 3m dust masks like you might pop on at your construction site while you're ripping lumber or halving bricks for an hour or two. Usually, our customers will buy them onesie twosie for whatever is going on in their lab. The other day while we were chatting about coronavirus, my boss told me that the Chinese researchers and grad students had been buying them by 20's and 30's and he thinks there's a relationship. I laughed because, well, it's the wrong kind of mask, but yeah, sure, maybe they're mailing them home. He doesn't feel comfortable bringing it up to anyone cause it seems kind of racist? I agreed, but more importantly, frankly who cares what they spend their research funding on, they aren't stealing out of our warehouse -- no harm no foul. Literally as we were talking about it a Chinese guy came through and checked out a stack of 20 of them. I looked at the transaction record and sure enough, most customers had bought 2 or 3 at a time, but last week there were about 8 transactions where a mr or ms Wang or Tong or Zhang had bought 20 or 30 lmao

my wife was in a ups store yesterday mailing something and a chinese couple came in trying to send a box of 30 (non-surgical) masks to china, and they were in complete disbelief over the $180 shipping cost, so yeah, i would believe it

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
David Muir said that there's shortages all across China, and that pharmacies were limiting purchases to 2 masks per person, and that lines were long as gently caress.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Remember that report about China planning to speed-build a couple of hospitals to deal with the current outbreak?
There's a post about the results, and the one from the famous construction site pic is supposedly operational already.

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-51280586

Social media is eating this poo poo up, and I'm sure the facility is going to provide some amazing throughput numbers specifically for the current situation, but calling a rapidly-built modular structure a fully-functional hospital is a bit of a stretch.
The logistics behind this are legit intriguing to me and I really, really want to read more about it, but my bullshit-flag flew hard at the picture of the MRI

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

depends on what you stuff the beak with

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Doc Hawkins posted:

depends on what you stuff the beak with

I get the reference but man that's a euphemism

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

To prevent contracting diseases or perverted activities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1223973472554176514?s=19

https://twitter.com/tparti/status/1223998769915727878?s=19

Yay?