Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://twitter.com/kurtruslfanclub/status/1222717482323963904

It's the wack 60s novel that Lucas and everybody else ripped off wholesale but somehow made more racist and less horny

it's got spacemen with swords and magical bloodlines of wizards and all that crap the kids like, but also everyone's hosed up on spice and computers are illegal

Even got a horrible expanded universe for you to thoroughly regret reading in your desperation for more content

in conclusion, Dune is a land of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

dune is good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Squizzle posted:

dunc is good

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
there are lasers in dune. it's just that there are also personal shield generators everybody wears and if a laser hits one of those it would cause a nuclear explosion.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
dunc...an idaho

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

dune rules but im also never reading anything besides the first novel

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thou shalt not make a machine in the image of a human mind

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

StashAugustine posted:

And you're gonna be so lost every time you see a Guild Steersman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

there are lasers in dune. it's just that there are also personal shield generators everybody wears and if a laser hits one of those it would cause a nuclear explosion.

I said less lasers, not no lasers

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

):<

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

god-cmpcror of dunc

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
if I lived in the dune universe I'd be straight mainlining spice every goddamn day

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Poopernickel posted:

if I lived in the dune universe I'd be straight mainlining spice every goddamn day

won't that turn you into a navigator?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

gohmak posted:

won't that turn you into a navigator?

Hell yeah, let's do this thing

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dune is extremely good and I recommend it every time I see someone on social media asking what they should read next. I've never seen the Lynch movie but the SyFy miniseries is on YouTube if you a little digging.

StashAugustine posted:

Messiah and Children are fine but the first book is obvs better. I've never read God-Emperor but I've heard it's fuckin wild

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Lynch movie has some really cool visuals and some good Lynch Weird poo pooTM but other than that its pretty bad

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

The Lynch movie has some really cool visuals and some good Lynch Weird poo pooTM but other than that its pretty bad

the sound design is exquisite

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
This thread is made of your strongest stone.

Hit it. Kick it.

Post at it.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

The standard dune rule is read the Frank Herbert books until you get creeped out then stop.

As for the Brian Herbert/KJA books set them on fire and do the world a favour.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol I saw the Lynch movie many, many times before I ever read the book. When I finally read it, I was like, this isn't nearly as strange as I've been led to believe.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

StashAugustine posted:

actually, it's good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's good but its' a bad Dune movie

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
In my opinion a "proper" Dune movie needs to be done like one of those old '60s epics with lavish costuming, thousands of extras in the desert, fully shot in 70mm, and the studio nearly goes bankrupt trying to shoot the drat thing. Minimum one intermission.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A "proper" Dune movie is forthcoming. And it's going to utterly bomb :sigh:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
A proper dune movie needs to be a Jodorowsky joint

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

I can accept that it may be a quality movie and a more faithful adaptation but I am steadfast in my stated beliefs of how a "proper" Dune movie should be made. :colbert:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

zoux posted:

a proper dune movie needs to be about 16 hours long

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think they're doing it in two parts, you can bet it's going to be as long as the studio will let him make it so probably 2 3 hours films with 4 hour director's cuts for the BR release.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dune shouldn't be made into a movie.

The Lynch one is bad which is incredible given that Lynch can otherwise do no wrong.

Fun book though. The real expanded universe of Dune is "nonfiction about the early Islamic expansion."

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
this denis guy seems to know what hes doing and im excited to see his new dune.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Dune is Harry Potter for internet males in their 30s and 40s with depression. Every guy who has ever smugly said "read another book" to a young Harry Potter fan without fail is someone who references Dune like once a week and literally no other piece of genre or literary fiction.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Dune is Harry Potter for internet males in their 30s and 40s with depression. Every guy who has ever smugly said "read another book" to a young Harry Potter fan without fail is someone who references Dune like once a week and literally no other piece of genre or literary fiction.

look i have read other books and also im only 26

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sleeveless posted:

4/10, enough for a sensible chuckle

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

StashAugustine posted:

The Smithee cut is legit better than the Lynch cut.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I'm going to be the Jodorowsky guy

I'm going to make this weird.

Would've it been good/bad?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

lasguns :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

In my opinion a "proper" Dune movie needs to be done like one of those old '60s epics with lavish costuming, thousands of extras in the desert, fully shot in 70mm, and the studio nearly goes bankrupt trying to shoot the drat thing. Minimum one intermission.

:hmmyes:

Dune rules because it's such a firm product of its time, to the point where I feel like the new movie is going to come across as really rote and "Didn't we just get done with a Star Wars? Fuckin g Boomer wanking crap." Plus it's got beefy Aquadude as Duncan Idaho and while he seems like a real nice guy... they're clearly setting him up to be the constant in the franchise they're hoping to launch and I do not know if he's up for it.

It'll be worth it if they get to God-Emperor though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Linux Pirate posted:

I'm going to be the Jodorowsky guy

I'm going to make this weird.

Would've it been good/bad?

Probably bad because

mind the walrus posted:

:hmmyes:

Dune rules because it's such a firm product of its time, to the point where I feel like the new movie is going to come across as really rote and "Didn't we just get done with a Star Wars? Fuckin g Boomer wanking crap." Plus it's got beefy Aquadude as Duncan Idaho and while he seems like a real nice guy... they're clearly setting him up to be the constant in the franchise they're hoping to launch and I do not know if he's up for it.

It'll be worth it if they get to God-Emperor though.

It's also very 'of its medium' and really very little of what's actually good qualifies as 'filmable.' It's not like, A Void where it is actually impossible to film major plot points, just...not stuff that I think is particularly good either for film at this time or for film in general. And really, not everything needs to be adapted to every medium.

(though Dune might be pretty good for a couple of different types of video game, including possibly MMO)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tulip posted:

Probably bad because

It's also very 'of its medium' and really very little of what's actually good qualifies as 'filmable.' It's not like, A Void where it is actually impossible to film major plot points, just...not stuff that I think is particularly good either for film at this time or for film in general. And really, not everything needs to be adapted to every medium.

(though Dune might be pretty good for a couple of different types of video game, including possibly MMO)

For every scene where the movie gets it so loving right (e.g. where the Fremen are watching Paul et. al. deplane from the cliffs around Arrakeen) there's 5 minutes of Paul reminding himself that floating poisoned hypodermic needles are, in fact, dangerous. Lots and lots of internal dialogue which is only just bearable in book (written or audio) form but goddamn is it bad visual storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Tulip posted:

Probably bad because

I'm talking about the 70s one that never got made. Though if you're saying Villeneuve will draw from that and it will be bad, then yes. I agree from what I have seen.

Lynch Dune had it's moments.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 22, 2020