Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

'Anarcho-monarchism' has been a description I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Dare you enter... THE ATONEMENT SPHERE?!

wait this is just a rebranded punishment sphere

fucicking belueverxxefbn

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Anarcho-monarchism' has been a description I've seen.

Yeah, that's probably the most succinct way to put it and pretty close to how he described himself, "unconstitutional Monarchy" with no state*. It's pretty weird stuff to read, though it follows somewhat consistently from his rather extreme Catholic religious stance.

I don't really know why having weird politics would help with world building, it's just that I noticed the two guys I most associate with "world building that keeps the readers up at night for years" both had some really crazy notions about how the world should work.

*https://time.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/the_letters_of_j.rrtolkien.pdf Letter 52 is the big one.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'd guess that if you didn't have a crazy notion as to how the world should work then you probably wouldn't go super hard into world building.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I haven't dug into tolkien's views on government besides the linked letter, but I have to imagine being a veteran of WWI and living through WWII could sour someone on the concept of 'statehood'.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All I really remember about Tolkien's politics is that he didn't like the Nazis but also had the historical and linguistic knowledge to specifically hate the nazi concept of "aryan" since that was entirely bullshit and made up, which is not the top of the list of most people's criticism of the nazis, but it's valid.

Tolkien posted:

25 July 1938 20 Northmoor Road, Oxford

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your letter. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject — which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its sustainability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.

I trust you will find this reply satisfactory, and

remain yours faithfully,

J. R. R. Tolkien

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

All I really remember about Tolkien's politics is that he didn't like the Nazis but also had the historical and linguistic knowledge to specifically hate the nazi concept of "aryan" since that was entirely bullshit and made up, which is not the top of the list of most people's criticism of the nazis, but it's valid.

Unfortunately he sent both that and a blander letter to his publisher, leaving it up to them to choose which to send across the Channel in response. They decided on the latter.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Linux Pirate posted:

I'm going to be the Jodorowsky guy

I'm going to make this weird.

Would've it been good/bad?

After watching the movie about Jodorowsky's version, I'd say that it would resemble Dune as much as the Starship Troopers movie matched Heinlein's book - especially his politics. It would be wild cool, but you might as well give it a new name.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
So what do we think of DUNC?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Hillary 2024 posted:

So what do we think of DUNC?

If Villaneuve wanted to make a Dune that was accessible to non-book readers, I have to think he still hasn't done that. I can't think someone who has no idea about the story is going to come into this and come away with anything but enjoying the pretty pictures. (And they are pretty.)

The production and mechanical design are top-notch and remind me of nothing so much as the Traveller RPG, which I mean no duh, it drew heavily from Dune in the first place.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I think he did a pretty good job of communicating in broad (and some finer) strokes of what the stakes were, who the atreides and harkonnens are. More about the Imperium will come, but wasn’t critical here (similar to how the book structures it)

I enjoyed it a lot

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah it seemed p understandable and dumped the necessary background info in an engaging way, I liked it a lot

https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1451910939637395461

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The Fremen have suicide commandos so why not have one guy fire a lasgun at the Carthag shields?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

The Fremen have suicide commandos so why not have one guy fire a lasgun at the Carthag shields?

It's like they never even played the boardgame version!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Baron Porkface posted:

Fremen don't use lasguns IIRC, or shields. Shields because it attracts worms and sends them into a berserk frenzy; lasguns I don't think it explains.

But, in the book, Duncan actually rigs up exactly such a thing as a self-standing trap for the Harkonnnen/Sardaukar troops following them in the process of helping Jessica and Paul escape.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Fuschia tude posted:

Fremen don't use lasguns IIRC, or shields. Shields because it attracts worms and sends them into a berserk frenzy; lasguns I don't think it explains.

But, in the book, Duncan actually rigs up exactly such a thing as a self-standing trap for the Harkonnnen/Sardaukar troops following them in the process of helping Jessica and Paul escape.

Baron Porkface posted:

They'd only have to capture one lasgun and set it up to fire on a timer or tie a really long piece of string to the trigger. Would make the shield wall a liability instead of a defense.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Im unclear if “shield wall” refers to the location of the strategic shield or the mountians that shield Arakeen from storms and worms, I thought it was the latter.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Baron Porkface posted:

Im unclear if “shield wall” refers to the location of the strategic shield or the mountians that shield Arakeen from storms and worms, I thought it was the latter.

It is, in the novel.

This movie seemed to suggest it was a manmade thing though, which kind of wrecks the ending.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Dune 2 announced

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1453058884516466691?s=20

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why does Mohaim have a hateboner for Paul in book 2? Isn't he the phallic demigod the BG always yearned to worship?

Is Fenring a mentat outside of KJA books?

Is Leto's dad a bullfigher outside of the KJA books and new movie?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like one of the earliest scenes on Arrakis is them explaining to the new palace staff about the head of the bull that killed Leto's dad.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Baron Porkface posted:

Why does Mohaim have a hateboner for Paul in book 2? Isn't he the phallic demigod the BG always yearned to worship?

They never planned to worship him, the plan was for him to be created by the BG and under their control. So a tame god, and they hate Paul because he's not only outside their control but actively undermining their control of the political system

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Leto's dad a bullfigher outside of the KJA books and new movie?

Yeah, it's one of my favorite side-bits of the book and KJA hosed it up like everything he touches. In the original it's mentioned that the old duke died in the ring, and it's one of the points of disconnect between a really archaic tradition and the far-future setting that Frank did really well. KJA made it some kind of hosed up spider bull or something because he doesn't understand what's interesting in the original.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've read Dune twice (really great) and Messiah once ('sok) and I have no desire to read further. Haven't seen DUNC yet but I'll get around to it.

Anyways what's it gonna take to get the old Dune games on GOG

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

bees x1000 posted:

I've read Dune twice (really great) and Messiah once ('sok) and I have no desire to read further. Haven't seen DUNC yet but I'll get around to it.

Anyways what's it gonna take to get the old Dune games on GOG

I'd recommend finishing the series via the Sci-Fi channel miniseries of the sequels, titled Children of Dune (containing books 2+3). It is surprisingly good good, since Alec Newman, who plays Paul, is finally properly playing his apparent age of like mid 30s (Messiah is like 12 years after, right?)

EDIT - Holy poo poo Alec Newman was only 26 in the original Miniseries. He looked like 36! Crazy.

The CGI isn't as trash as the first miniseries of the first book, even if they don't do the neat black-light contacts look of the Spice eyes anymore, as I am sure that was a fukken pain to act through.

Alice Krige plays an excellent post-Water o' Life Jessica, Ian McNeice is the best Baron, Daniela Amavia was a total smokeshow as Alia, and the series has a very young James McAvoy.

I doubt we'll ever get any other adaptions of those books, so it's the best we got for a long while.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm not gonna watch DUNC until it's free on demand because I'm a cheap bastard. How much of Jason Momoa's :weiner: is in the movie? I've heard there's a lot of :weiner:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

zoux posted:

A "proper" Dune movie is forthcoming. And it's going to utterly bomb :sigh:

Well, you were half-right. :unsmith:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm not gonna watch DUNC until it's free on demand because I'm a cheap bastard. How much of Jason Momoa's :weiner: is in the movie? I've heard there's a lot of :weiner:

Not enough, because the producers are cowards.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

it's PG. what do you expect?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cerv posted:

Apparently too much :mad:

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
I thought this movie was boring imo

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Cerv posted:

They're still cowards.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is there a legit place to watch the 2000s mini series?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is there a legit place to watch the 2000s mini series?

I think it's all up on YouTube, to be honest.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Yea just Youtube it, I don't think there's any streaming service carrying it so options are buying the DVD or Youtube.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i thought mamoa looked terrible. i havent seen him in anything in a while and im surprised how chubby he looked. maybe oscar issac looking like a statue was just making everyone look bad.

mamoa as duncan was cool though. i like that mamoa is always just kind of playing himself. the "i have never come so close to dying" did not seem like an authentic duncan line. just jason saying what he would say

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there consistency to what factions call it Arrakis or Dune?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Not really, it's just up to how formal you want to sound. Dune is the colloquial or slang name, so it's used more by people living there and not in official documents, but that's about the only hard rule.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The cool kids call it Rakkis

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Arrakis is called Jakku in some material

The sound design was so excellent, the special effects and so forth were great, story was no worse than expected, but why oh does every shot of a person gotta be a close up and never like a setup with a room with stuff in it. Let's look at the set!

I also read about 180? pages of the book this summer which turned out to be the right amount. I understood dynamics but was surprised at some point. But what a crappy ending!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I thought DUNC was pretty good. Glad they get to make part 2 now.

DUNC IDAHO