Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FunkyAl posted:

Arrakis is called Jakku in some material

:thunk:

I can't believe Star Wars ripped off Dune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have legit seem people claim Dune ripped of Star Wars and mean it.

Anyways, my favorite detail is the Atredies Frigates have anchors in them, because of course they do.

Also, due to it being PG they can't go to crazy with blood, so having the shields be blue for non penetrating hits and red for ones that are. Also combat being mostly close in brawls are perfect for Dune because, yea shields would cause that. Also for ONCE we saw Atredies troops in battle and yea, they are amazingly trained, but are not a match for the Sardukar.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
There are people out there who think Warhammer is a rip off of Warcraft or LOTR is a rip off of D&D.

These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know… morons.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I thought the movie was good but didn't give enough background on certain lore aspects like the spacing guild/navigators or that AI was banned because it almost ended humanity so there are "human computers" and etc.

I understand they don't want to overwhelm the audience and people can always google but geez.

Also, the sequels and prequels are a clusterfuck.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, Dune is the traditional name that the Fremen prefer, while Arrakis is the Imperial one.

ptkfvk posted:

i thought mamoa looked terrible. i havent seen him in anything in a while and im surprised how chubby he looked. maybe oscar issac looking like a statue was just making everyone look bad.

mamoa as duncan was cool though. i like that mamoa is always just kind of playing himself. the "i have never come so close to dying" did not seem like an authentic duncan line. just jason saying what he would say

Mamoa is pretty much spot on casting, it's not so clear in the original book but Duncan Idaho is absolutely supposed to be a Space Conan type who has the ill fortune to not be in the kind of story where he'd be the protagonist.

Cranappleberry posted:

I thought the movie was good but didn't give enough background on certain lore aspects like the spacing guild/navigators or that AI was banned because it almost ended humanity so there are "human computers" and etc.

I understand they don't want to overwhelm the audience and people can always google but geez.

Also, the sequels and prequels are a clusterfuck.

They can always bring that poo poo in the sequels once everyone is already invested.

Also, the prequels do not exist.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I always feel like Dune is at its best with throwaways that make you think.

For the last three year years (really just one year with a long hangover, Covid means I haven't really been to many parties or talked to anyone enough to move on, you know?), I've been talking about how "machine thinking" is such a critical concept to the modern age. It's not machines that think like men that are dangerous, but men who think like machines. In the age of the ALGORITHM that's a loving prescient statement and something we encounter regularly.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i enjoyed the adaptation. was a treat to see on a large screen.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Honestly spice = space oil is all the exposition you really needed to get the plot for this movie. Lots of money to be made and everybody needs it. The Paul = space Muhammad thing barely comes into play and can be left for the next movie. The amount of exposition was perfect for a general audience movie imo.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

aphid_licker posted:

Honestly spice = space oil is all the exposition you really needed to get the plot for this movie. Lots of money to be made and everybody needs it. The Paul = space Muhammad thing barely comes into play and can be left for the next movie. The amount of exposition was perfect for a general audience movie imo.

Yeah, I'm honestly kind of impressed how perfectly everything seems to be coming together to make it happen. For as weird as this movie is, and the setting in general, and given the one-year release delay, and the simultaneous streaming launch, and the bizarrely staggered global release with international ahead of US, and the never-ending pandemic, it's still working and audiences are responding and turning out. That's probably better than I would have expected.

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 7, 2021

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

I watched the Dune movie and it was good.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I have legit seem people claim Dune ripped of Star Wars and mean it.

Anyways, my favorite detail is the Atredies Frigates have anchors in them, because of course they do.

Also, due to it being PG they can't go to crazy with blood, so having the shields be blue for non penetrating hits and red for ones that are. Also combat being mostly close in brawls are perfect for Dune because, yea shields would cause that. Also for ONCE we saw Atredies troops in battle and yea, they are amazingly trained, but are not a match for the Sardukar.

They are a match for the Sardukar, that was the problem. They were no match for the Sardukar AND Harkonnen.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Maybe Duke Leto should've told his dudes to slack off a bit, have a brewski etc instead of doing all the training that ended up being their downfall.

e: in the stairway scene I feel like it's supposed to look like the Sards make short work of the Atreides boys without too much trouble. They do okay against Harks despite being outnumbered, but when they turn to face the Sards it's over really fast without the Atreides guys killing as many as they lose last stand visual signifier, they just get dunked on real quick.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 8, 2021

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

They are a match for the Sardukar, that was the problem. They were no match for the Sardukar AND Harkonnen.

Not quite, but they were getting up there. With a fighting forced motivated and skilled enough to approach his own, combined with the Duke's growing popularity in the nobility, the Emperor feared he could seriously challenge his own power. And it wasn't 1 Atreides fighter = 1 Sardaukar anyway so much as the attackers just came with overwhelming numbers. What they were no match for was a sneak attack with an exorbitant number of troops while a traitor let them in undetected and the majority of the defenders were pinned down in caves underground by artillery bombardment.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I saw Dunc. Cats (2019) is no longer the last film I saw in a cinema.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fuschia tude posted:

Not quite, but they were getting up there. With a fighting forced motivated and skilled enough to approach his own, combined with the Duke's growing popularity in the nobility, the Emperor feared he could seriously challenge his own power. And it wasn't 1 Atreides fighter = 1 Sardaukar anyway so much as the attackers just came with overwhelming numbers. What they were no match for was a sneak attack with an exorbitant number of troops while a traitor let them in undetected and the majority of the defenders were pinned down in caves underground by artillery bombardment.

I kinda wish they had shown artillery being used to seal in Atredies troops, but yea there is a line in one of the later books where someone says of the Atreides military was "one wit as good as the sardukar" meaning that they were probably better than any house force, but the Sardukar were still superior. Even the Fremen are shown to be slightly out matched by the Sardukar a few times, before Paul and Jessica teach them the Weirding Way.

I wonder if movie two will feature the full scene where Paul reunites with Gurney in the smuggler base and they expose the Sardukar agents in the ranks, or the attack of Seitch Tabr where the Sardukar capture Chani and others, kill the first Leto II, but its said that they took huge casualties even though the Seitch was defended only by old people and children.

SugarInverted
Nov 7, 2021

jeeves posted:

The cool kids call it Rakkis

Even Rakis was still called Dune

SugarInverted
Nov 7, 2021

SugarInverted posted:

Even Rakis was still called Dune

And I think this really hits one of the cornerstone principles of Herbert’s writing in the Dune saga, which is that even though ‘nobody’ recognizes them, there are cultural relics that have stuck with us since literally before history.

I think this is especially clear with Duncan’s name as a foil. “Idaho” has a very different meaning to us than it does to Duncan, and it has a very different meaning to our ancestors than it does to us. The meaning changes through history, while the name remains the same (reference: Namri and Leto’s ‘message vs trivia’ in their riddle game). On the flipside, Arrakis became Rakis and then became scattered dirt , but through all that and beyond, it was still ‘Dune’, an idea that travels back to before the spice.

The BG ancestral memory makes them very wise, and you notice that they manipulate the imperium using the myths and legends that have been with us prehistory. Find a population, suppress them, mythicize their beliefs, give them a figure head to lead them. Funnily enough, this is the same plan being enacted by BG, Harkonnen, and Atreides on Dune. In the future, Teg manipulates his soldiers on Gammu with the same techniques with which we are manipulated.

Dune is technically ‘scifi’ but I think that sci-fi-ness is what allows us to see with fresh eyes the well honed tools of social control that currently being used, outside of the context of our own time which blinds us to them.

This comes into especially sharp prominence with the advent of the algorithm as already mentioned itt. Machine thinking is loving us irl, but also important is the idea of prescience. If you take Maud’dib’s prescience as a kind of super-mentatism, where he takes in all the variables and ‘calculates’ what humans are going to do, this overlaps really well contemporary ideas of ‘human hacking’ put forward by thinkers like Yuval Noah Harari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhpXU0x5894&t=282s - He talks for a long time, but you get the main point after less than 5 min about the confluence of biotech and infotech

To combat this, we need to develop our own version of the ’siona gene’.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hank Sumeria

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Hank Sumeria

I prescience that boy aint right

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SugarInverted posted:

“Idaho” has a very different meaning to us than it does to Duncan, and it has a very different meaning to our ancestors than it does to us.

This made me curious as to what "Idaho" actually means / comes from. It turns out nobody knows, potentially having just been made up whole cloth in 1860.

SugarInverted
Nov 7, 2021
just one of the many things herbert is trying to teach us

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Herbert must have known that w/r/t the "origin" of name Idaho, seeing how he based Dune after the Oregon coast.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There was an article also going into how Dune is heavily inspired by a nonfiction book about conflict in the Caucasus between local tribal societies and Tsarist Russia.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The vodka must flow

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Saw it in theatres, they had it so loud that light fixtures were buzzing. The architecture and buildings stole the show for me

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I really liked the set pieces in the new movie. I thought the worlds and effects were beautifully done.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was an article also going into how Dune is heavily inspired by a nonfiction book about conflict in the Caucasus between local tribal societies and Tsarist Russia.

sabres of paradise

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

This made me curious as to what "Idaho" actually means / comes from. It turns out nobody knows, potentially having just been made up whole cloth in 1860.

that's amazing, haha

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
FWIW Jay and Colin from RLM liked DUNC part one

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C09-xuAXWpk

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Man, they really advertise those laptops.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Fuschia tude posted:

"What do the Great Houses of the Landsraad fear most?" Paul asked.
"They fear most what is happening here right now on Arrakis--the Sardaukar picking them off one by one. That's why there is a Landsraad. This is the glue of the Great Convention. Only in union do they match the
Imperial forces."

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The novels should have ended with the death of Leto II. It was the perfect endpoint, and gave thematic closure to the great man/prophecy cautionary tale

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Breetai posted:

The novels should have ended with the death of Leto II. It was the perfect endpoint, and gave thematic closure to the great man/prophecy cautionary tale

Yes but catboys and fuckfighting

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
wait a minute, I didn't remember any catboys

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Schwarzwald posted:

wait a minute, I didn't remember any catboys

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Futar

(obviously ignore whatever bits at the end refer to the expanded universe books. They were definitely in Heretics and/or Chapterhouse).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Man, those vfx guys really love to be on camera don't they

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i love sand

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Fuschia tude posted:

Brian writes about how he avoided the hippie subculture when he was in college because they reminded him so much of his dad. I don't think the Frank Herbert = Ayn Rand take is all that accurate.

The first generation of modern Libertarians were almost all hippies. Hippies spanned the political spectrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Even now if you dare to hang out at Burning Man or any other hippie joint you'll still be surrounded by people who are fundamentally selfish and narcissistic in their politics, they just have a different coat of paint on it then traditional libertarian types.