Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rockstar Massacre posted:

Even now if you dare to hang out at Burning Man or any other hippie joint you'll still be surrounded by people who are fundamentally selfish and narcissistic in their politics, they just have a different coat of paint on it then traditional libertarian types.

Didn't Burning Man get completely overrun by techbros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yeah, my understanding is that you'd need a time machine to experience Burning Man as a hippy function.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I had to post this somewhere

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1524812214418407432

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Florence Pugh as Irulan and that kid who's playing Elvis as Feyd both seem like pretty solid choices. And we can say the guesswork on "Are Feyd and Rabban going to be written into one character" seems like a solid No at this point.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Feyd... Lovely Feyd.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Madurai posted:

And we can say the guesswork on "Are Feyd and Rabban going to be written into one character" seems like a solid No at this point.

How would that even possibly work? The whole point of Rabban was to be a brutal oppressor to draw the ire of the Arrakeen population (and too dumb to realize he was being played) until Feyd could depose him and be welcomed as their savior.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fuschia tude posted:

How would that even possibly work? The whole point of Rabban was to be a brutal oppressor to draw the ire of the Arrakeen population (and too dumb to realize he was being played) until Feyd could depose him and be welcomed as their savior.

Yea there is literally no way for the story to work unless they completely cut that part of the story out. Also it would be hilarious to watch twigboy Paul take on loving Drax at the end. Feyd totally needs to be a himbo twink.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, my understanding is that you'd need a time machine to experience Burning Man as a hippy function.

I was there even 'back in the day' and those techbros fit in real easily. I wouldn't even call it a co-opt.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Solid casting but I'd have preferred Mathieu Amalric.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Speaking of casting: big mistake to put Charlotte Rampling/Gaius Mohiam in that weird fishnet-mask, because that's the face of a Bene Gesserit if there ever was one.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Prole posted:

Solid casting but I'd have preferred Mathieu Amalric.

Oh man, he would have been awesome. Maybe a little too short?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I just remembed there is at least another Dune movie coming out

:gizz:

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm surprised someone hasn't been able to make it popular with people who are overtly white supremacists in order to finish off ruining it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

tadashi posted:

I just remembed there is at least another Dune movie coming out

:gizz:

I'm surprised someone hasn't been able to make it popular with people who are overtly white supremacists in order to finish off ruining it.

As above, techbros. It's just a matter of waiting til the masks fall off.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We fell asleep watching the DUNC movie last night going in with vague notions of what happens in it. I guess the titular DUNC portrayed by Khal Drogo was friends with young Jesus, killed a million elite stormtroopers, then died to like five of them? There is an evil fat guy. Jesus is clearly going to fall in love with the space arab girl. The action scenes were all awful dark nonsense with flashing red and blue shields which is why they have to use swords but why are they using such poo poo shortswords and clearly they have better shields and guns and

Idk, I’m not impressed with Dune, and apparently it gets stupider?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 19, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We fell asleep watching the DUNC movie last night going in with vague notions of what happens in it. I guess the titular DUNC portrayed by Khal Drogo was friends with young Jesus, killed a million elite stormtroopers, then died to like five of them? There is an evil fat guy. Jesus is clearly going to fall in love with the space arab girl. The action scenes were all awful dark nonsense with flashing red and blue shields which is why they have to use swords but why are they using such poo poo shortswords and clearly they have better shields and guns and

Idk, I’m not impressed with Dune, and apparently it gets stupider?

If only you had applied the attitude of the knife to your post

preferably somewhere before "We"

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Paul is Space Mohammed, not Space Jesus.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mixed with Space Lawrence of Arabia

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's spelled "spice"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

picked up dune: messiah yesterday. it's like ten pages long. what the gently caress.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

josh04 posted:

picked up dune: messiah yesterday. it's like ten pages long. what the gently caress.

It’s refreshingly brisk. Especially before the slog of the third book.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Messiah is pretty much more of a coda than a sequel. Doesn't help that the og book is an epic in itself that following books can't really match, with its scripture-like framing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I cannot imagine them doing Messiah and then not doing Children of Dune. People saying "But you can't, you NEED Leto II story after Children!". To me that is hell ya, gimme Worm guy on screen. But how its Children of Dune an unsatisfying ending? The villain is defeated, Leto II is now emperor and he's made everything right. The enemy Corrino is an ally now. Seems like a good end to a trilogy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"The villain is defeated, an Atreides is now emperor, and the enemy Corrino is an ally now" is how the first book ends.

Most of Children is a rehash of stuff the earlier books did better and what's original is just a prelude to God Emperor.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Who's Corrino?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not much, what's corrino with you?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Corrino becomes Corriyes!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

josh04 posted:

Who's Corrino?

Serious answer: the house name of the emperor before Paul takes over.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Schwarzwald posted:

Serious answer: the house name of the emperor before Paul takes over.

their role pretty much was entirely "The Imperial House"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I am Corrinholio

I need spicey for my navhole

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Schwarzwald posted:

"The villain is defeated, an Atreides is now emperor, and the enemy Corrino is an ally now" is how the first book ends.

Most of Children is a rehash of stuff the earlier books did better and what's original is just a prelude to God Emperor.

I didn't want to do a huge spoiler post about Duncan and Alia and Fard'n and Leto II and Ghamina and Irulan and Wencesca and The Baron and just endless list of stuff that happens in Children of Dune. People told me that no, you can't have Leto II without explaining what all his worm stuff is and what he does to humanity, which is what I disagree with. Literally Children ends with Leto ascending the Throne and telling everyone that everything's good now and no one will have to worry because he has the vision his father lacked.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Just got back from Dune 2 Chicks At The Same Time

Pretty good, Denis still knows how to put on a pretty picture. There are some meaningful changes from the book, which I am ok with, though he did remove one my favorite lines where Jessica explains to Chani that they may not have the status, but history will call them wives

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Finished Messiah, it's a weird little epilogue yeah. Can see why you'd want to do that as a third movie but a dubious book in its own right. Loved the idea of the Dune Tarot though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Just got back from Dune 2 Chicks At The Same Time

Pretty good, Denis still knows how to put on a pretty picture. There are some meaningful changes from the book, which I am ok with, though he did remove one my favorite lines where Jessica explains to Chani that they may not have the status, but history will call them wives

I feel if they're gonna include that bit it's gonna be in Messiah.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yea, I found that choice intresting. Though it does give Chani way more agency than she had in the book. Hell, the Fremen not all being on board from the get go was a nice change too.

A big change that I think will happen if they do do Children is Margot Fenring is going to replace Wincesca as the person who's trying to kill Ghamina and Leto II, Fard'n is replaced by Her and Feyd's daughter. Though that means Leto doesn't marry his sister and him off, but nothing really comes from that, she kind of dies off page and its just a vauge sadness he has. That works to show is detachment from his humanity but its kinda lovely how a female character just kind of gets dumped without any thought.

Though I doubt it, but it is an interesting plot point to introduce. Though in the book Feyd does have a daughter with some slave girl, but again, thats just mentioned and never brought up again. I guess maybe her line build the No Room that Miles and Duncan and, Murbella i think, hide in on Gammu in Heretics? I always felt that was weird, it was pretty obvious the Harkonnen's died on Arrakis during the revolt so who are the Harkonnens left to spend all their remaining resources on a No Room?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That line would have been quite weird with the ending.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i like the line too, but i don't think being remembered as a wife comes across as epic in 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

exmarx posted:

i like the line too, but i don't think being remembered as a wife comes across as epic in 2024

Paul Atredies, wife guy.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

twistedmentat posted:

Though I doubt it, but it is an interesting plot point to introduce. Though in the book Feyd does have a daughter with some slave girl, but again, thats just mentioned and never brought up again. I guess maybe her line build the No Room that Miles and Duncan and, Murbella i think, hide in on Gammu in Heretics? I always felt that was weird, it was pretty obvious the Harkonnen's died on Arrakis during the revolt so who are the Harkonnens left to spend all their remaining resources on a No Room?

Eh, I took it as something they had built back when they still existed and then died, not something they had built more recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

exmarx posted:

Yeah, favorite is a little strong on my part, but I think it was an effective cut-down of the set up in the book of Chani being close, but feeling hurt that Paul had to actually marry Irulan