Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Here they will cut you off if you are a few weeks late according to the billing statement but I don’t know has never happened to me. This poo poo happens on the regular to my ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There's such a thing as prepaid electricity in deregulated parts of TX. They shut you off within 15 minutes of your account running empty (smart meters typically have a remote disconnect, and they get checked every 15 minutes in TX, so it's just a click of the mouse to turn someone's power on/off).

Then nail you with a disconnect fee, reconnect fee, and account reload fee. God Bless the deregulated market!

I miss the rates I had in deregulated land, but I had to constantly monitor my energy use to make sure I fell into the right bracket. If I used 1000-1499 kWh, I paid something like 4c/kWh. If I used 500-999, it was 8c? If I broke 1500, I think it was 15c (for all of the usage, not tiered), and under 500 got slapped with a $50 fee. Not exact on those numbers, but drat close. There was a website you could use to check your usage up to the last quarter hour; I remember I came home from work one night a few hours before my billing cycle ended, and it showed 1498 kWh. I ran to the breaker panel and killed the main breaker, and kept it off until 12:30am. Wound up hitting 1499 kWh. $60 electric bill almost turned into $200+. Where I'm at now I pay $25 just to have the meter, then 12c/kwh on top of that. :fuckoff: I'll be glad once I move inside of Austin proper, there's no meter fee there (it's also cheaper per kWh). I'm current(hah)ly in a power co-op.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 4, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

STR posted:

they get checked every 15 minutes in TX, so it's just a click of the mouse to turn someone's power on/off).
lol you and I both know there's just a cron job that runs every 15 mins that just shuts off every account with a $0 balance that someone put in place like 10 years ago and hasn't been touched since.
No loving way any power company is paying any computer toucher to check that poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I was trying to put a human spin on it. Yeah, it's /cron/d being a /d, then a mouse click (and at least $50 in "fees") to turn it back on.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
After 50 days the closest fire to me (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too close) has finally been declared OUT.

The northern monster of 512000ha it came from is looking like it wont last the incoming downpour on Saturday. But hey... 4months and lots of destruction and horrific air pollution, it certainly did a loving number of the north Blue Mountains.

South... that flared on the weekend but that may not last past the downpour coming either.

800,000ha gone just in my local area since September 2019. And it might finally be over.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So I made my professional availability publicly know on LinkedIn and now I have five job interviews in four days.

I feel partly successful, partly slutty.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/men-jerks-break-traffic-laws-143600089.html

Waddup Jerks :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

cool, walmart doesn't list if one has a vent tube or not but i googled some everstart ones and know what one will look like, just need the cheapest one, the battery it is replacing was tiny with like 330 CCA

Miatas also had a trunk mounted, thus vented, battery, but they're tiny. Or were on the first-gens, at least. I've not seen the later ones.

Always believed that assholes with money tended to drive expensive German cars the pricks are on the inside. Nice to see it proven scientifically.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My favorite cars have been shitboxes under $300. Clearly I am not a jerk.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Me too, currently driving $200 shitbox thats reliable so I must be really nice and reliable. Thanks for making my day Yahoo article

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I’m nice to people and have cool cars, but I get it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tremek posted:

There's always exceptions. Back when I drove exclusively poo poo boxes I was kind of an rear end in a top hat all the time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sometimes I feel bad for how i drove around japan when i lived there, especially on motorcycles I was a total rear end in a top hat when most of the Japanese motorists are so courteous :v:

But young and dumb, I was 19 then and couldn't afford a German car. I drive a Scion now, clearly NOT a jerk :smug:

shy boy from chess club posted:

Thanks for making my day Yahoo article

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Tremek posted:

quote:

To be fair, the study also found that conscientious people are also drawn to high-status cars. “The link is presumably explained by the importance they attach to high quality. All makes of car have a specific image, and by driving a reliable car they are sending out the message that they themselves are reliable,” Lönnqvist explains.

Nice cars can be cool cars too

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I think everyone in here has probably experienced 'the Audi wanker' at some point. Study says more German cars than any others and that's definitely been a thing for a while in the UK. Used to be BMW as they were the go-to for repmobiles driving up and down the UK on sales calls and such and now that's moved more into Audi (due to lots of finance deals on them) with a nod to VW who definitely have their fair share of bellends. Mercedes in my personal experience seems to have less twats for some reason.

*edit: that said, more than anything UBER drivers are consistently just loving terrible at doing the only thing they actually need to do, driving. They're not aggressive or anything, just REALLY BAD at holding lanes, driving near the speed limit or knowing where they're going despite sat nav assistance.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 4, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I drive decent but modestly priced used cars in good condition, and I am occasionally but not frequently an rear end in a top hat on the road.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I drive fast, but rarely aggressively. I'm practically a boy scout when it comes to signaling and etiquette

I just like to go fast :shrug:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Same. Plus not all traffic violations are created equal. Not stopping for pedestrians (as mentioned in the article)? Dickhead. Speeding? Who cares. I also don't stop for red lights on freeway onramps, but that's my own personal battle.

When I'm on the bike I tend to make generalizations on how people will be driving based on their car, and I can usually assume someone in a Porsche or a Corvette will see me and let me split by, but I assume modified VW hatchbacks are driven by total idiots and more often than not I'm proven right. I have multiple friends with VW hatches that aren't idiots, but drat idiots are drawn to them like moths to a flame.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I think everyone in here has probably experienced 'the Audi wanker' at some point. Study says more German cars than any others and that's definitely been a thing for a while in the UK. Used to be BMW as they were the go-to for repmobiles driving up and down the UK on sales calls and such and now that's moved more into Audi (due to lots of finance deals on them) with a nod to VW who definitely have their fair share of bellends. Mercedes in my personal experience seems to have less twats for some reason.

*edit: that said, more than anything UBER drivers are consistently just loving terrible at doing the only thing they actually need to do, driving. They're not aggressive or anything, just REALLY BAD at holding lanes, driving near the speed limit or knowing where they're going despite sat nav assistance.

Earlier this past summer we all somehow ended up at one friend's house at the end of the night with all of our cars at another friend's house a couple of miles down the road. So we got an Uber, and the drive is literally like MAYBE two miles, you turn out of the neighborhood, left onto a main road for most of the two miles, then right onto the other friend's road. Five minutes MAX.

Uber guy just ignored his phone yelling at him to go the smart short actual way and went the opposite way and kept making all of these dumbass turns that took us further away from our destination while we were all hungover as gently caress just wanting to get home while this guy turned it into a 15 minute drive.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Miatas also had a trunk mounted, thus vented, battery, but they're tiny. Or were on the first-gens, at least. I've not seen the later ones.

For some reason the walmart website doesn't list miata as a choice when plugging it in. I went to the store last night but knew better to ask the clueless desk person in the auto department. Plenty of oversized batteries for 49.88 but not vented. The only vented ones were huge and $120-160. The battery it would be replacing is tiny and only 330 cca. But that car is apparently sold now I have a deposit so...I was tempted to pick up a $22 lawn and garden battery with 275 CCA just to see how it worked and to keep as a backup. I may just for the hell of it at some point (yes I know it is not vented either)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MomJeans420 posted:

When I'm on the bike [...] I can usually assume someone in a Porsche or a Corvette will see me and let me split by

The exact opposite of my experience, tbh

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

My favorite cars have been shitboxes under $300. Clearly I am not a jerk.

No, you're just a jerk without money.
Kidding. You're decent people, at least on the internet.

The Door Frame posted:

I drive fast, but rarely aggressively. I'm practically a boy scout when it comes to signaling and etiquette

This is me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have more money now than ever before.

poo poo, jerkiness levels rising.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The Door Frame posted:

This is me. I stop behind stop lines. I signal at any and all times. I use my seat belt. I don't litter or throw trash from my vehicle.

I like vroom vroom noises and feelings. The M3 begs you to rev it past 5K and rewards you when you combo up gear after gear.

Rhyno posted:

I have more money now than ever before.

poo poo, jerkiness levels rising.

You're basically an Alpha Chad at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL, some dude on Facebook called me a chad a who;e back. Good to know I'm growing into it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

LoL, some dude on Facebook called me a chad a who;e back. Good to know I'm growing into it.

It is inevitable.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Completely unrelated:
How terrible are those ventless combination washer-dryers? If they're decent, I would like the reclaimed space n my garage. If they're terrible, I'd rather not spend $1800. I'd rather not spend $1800 on a washer-dryer at all, if I'm honest, but the wife asked...
I figure that there's just more stuff to break.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They’re trash. They take 5 hours to do a pair of jeans and two t shirts. My sister had a Bosch and it was junk so they tried a different brand and it was also junk so they went to stacked regulars. The only reason to own one is if you live in an RV or a tinyhome and can’t hang dry.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How much do you like forking over massive amounts of money to TXU/Oncor/etc? :v:

They really are crap unless you get one with a heat pump. And AFAIK those are mostly only available outside of North America.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If my ex-wife doesn't find some new excuse or not pay some bill I will be home alone tonight, so I am going to attempt babby's first washing machine repair.

I have an ancient Maytag that is leaking from the bottom, I have assembled the parts and have the special wrench and all that good stuff. Anyone have a favorite youtube repair vid or tips for me?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

They're pieces of poo poo, and they release moisture despite their "ventless" claims, which can lead to mold problems, especially in an unheated space like a garage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bird with big dick posted:

They’re trash. They take 5 hours to do a pair of jeans and two t shirts. My sister had a Bosch and it was junk so they tried a different brand and it was also junk so they went to stacked regulars. The only reason to own one is if you live in an RV or a tinyhome and can’t hang dry.

same experience with a Bosch unit. we lived in a tiny Boston apartment and it beat the alternative (not having anything at all) for small loads, but do not buy one.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Completely unrelated:
How terrible are those ventless combination washer-dryers?

They're really awful, and they get even worse if you're somewhere humid. We put one in one of the units we manage and the moisture trap would fill up before it could even finish a dry cycle. Converted it to vented and all is well again.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

everdave posted:

If my ex-wife doesn't find some new excuse or not pay some bill I will be home alone tonight, so I am going to attempt babby's first washing machine repair.

I have an ancient Maytag that is leaking from the bottom, I have assembled the parts and have the special wrench and all that good stuff. Anyone have a favorite youtube repair vid or tips for me?

Good luck getting a tub seal replacement to last. It’s so labor intensive, most laundromat owners won’t bother repairing if the tub seal goes out. They’ll buy a rebuilt or new machine to replace.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

STR posted:

How much do you like forking over massive amounts of money to TXU/Oncor/etc? :v:

They really are crap unless you get one with a heat pump. And AFAIK those are mostly only available outside of North America.

Elviscat posted:

They're pieces of poo poo, and they release moisture despite their "ventless" claims, which can lead to mold problems, especially in an unheated space like a garage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

same experience with a Bosch unit. we lived in a tiny Boston apartment and it beat the alternative (not having anything at all) for small loads, but do not buy one.

A Small Car posted:

They're really awful, and they get even worse if you're somewhere humid. We put one in one of the units we manage and the moisture trap would fill up before it could even finish a dry cycle. Converted it to vented and all is well again.

I figured. I couldn't fathom how a ventless clothes dryer could function in any way efficiently.
We could hang, but my wife complains about dust or pollen or something, then erects the goddamned portable clothesline in my garage. Whereupon they get dusty from, you know sawdust or grinding dust, with the added bonus of being massively in my way. loving hell I want a workshop. Or a laundry room. Preferably both.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

bandman posted:

Good luck getting a tub seal replacement to last. It’s so labor intensive, most laundromat owners won’t bother repairing if the tub seal goes out. They’ll buy a rebuilt or new machine to replace.

Well my POS ex is dropping the kids off again says her power is still off so who knows when I’ll ever get the chance to work on it anyways

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
can you not stack a washer and dryer in the garage?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

can you not stack a washer and dryer in the garage?

Pretty sure that the upper one would either be too high for my wife to reach comfortably, or, if I remove the drawer pedestal, the lower one would be too low. Also, I just finished putting cabinets up and I don't think a stack would fit. Ours are full-sized Whirlpools.
I actually have a solution for re-arranging - it was just an idea floated out when my wife discovered the existence of the all-in-ones. I already told her I thought it would be crap, but would ask knowledgeable folks (that's you guys.)
Also, stacking them still doesn't get them out of my garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Romeo got adopted! I put an add out on Craigslist and had a caveat that you have to send pics of your pets to be considered for adoption (to avoid weirdos that pick up free kitties and sell/abuse them) got a weird couple who have three rescue puppies, and a rescue cat that misses its friend who just passed away, so they came and picked him up today!

He's taken to sleeping in a little cat bed, and will let himself be picked up, handled and pet in it, so getting him in a carrier was easy. The lady of the couple was grinning ear-to-ear she was so happy to have another kitty, I'm pretty sure he's gonna have a great rest of his life, since all he really shows interest in is melting into a puddle when you scratch his cheeks.