Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elviscat posted:

Romeo got adopted! I put an add out on Craigslist and had a caveat that you have to send pics of your pets to be considered for adoption (to avoid weirdos that pick up free kitties and sell/abuse them) got a weird couple who have three rescue puppies, and a rescue cat that misses its friend who just passed away, so they came and picked him up today!

He's taken to sleeping in a little cat bed, and will let himself be picked up, handled and pet in it, so getting him in a carrier was easy. The lady of the couple was grinning ear-to-ear she was so happy to have another kitty, I'm pretty sure he's gonna have a great rest of his life, since all he really shows interest in is melting into a puddle when you scratch his cheeks.

Awwwww sweet boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Enjoy your new home, Romeo!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I am obsessed with safety. At work, I'm the only guy who wears real PPE, I wear extra PPE when I weld, I make sure that I'm not gonna get hurt and that I won't hurt anyone else. Of course that means that I got a nice chunk of hot slag in my eye even though I had safety glasses and regular glasses on

Hooray for corneal abrasions!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

I am obsessed with safety. At work, I'm the only guy who wears real PPE, I wear extra PPE when I weld, I make sure that I'm not gonna get hurt and that I won't hurt anyone else. Of course that means that I got a nice chunk of hot slag in my eye even though I had safety glasses and regular glasses on

Holy gently caress! One of our engineers has a huge scar on his face from a wire whip years ago, it makes me want to wear a welding helmet every day.

More work stuff: we had a dude with a super long gross beard and it got caught in a machine and he lost a little of it. So Safety comes down and after the investigation they told him he had to shave it down and wear a beard net. This was an assault on that dude's personal style so he quit and I heard he's back a his old job, Hot Topic. Can you imagine being such a dumbass that you'd walk on a solid job with amazing benefits in favor of your goddamned facial hair?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The Door Frame posted:

I also feel like by wearing more eye protection I seem to get more poo poo in my eyes - though I am hoping that this is due to the fact that having done it properly once now I am extra sensitive and cautious about it.

hope you got it sorted ok!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Holy gently caress! One of our engineers has a huge scar on his face from a wire whip years ago, it makes me want to wear a welding helmet every day.

More work stuff: we had a dude with a super long gross beard and it got caught in a machine and he lost a little of it. So Safety comes down and after the investigation they told him he had to shave it down and wear a beard net. This was an assault on that dude's personal style so he quit and I heard he's back a his old job, Hot Topic. Can you imagine being such a dumbass that you'd walk on a solid job with amazing benefits in favor of your goddamned facial hair?

My beard is pretty long now (basically seeing what it will do now) but is definitely not a part of my identity or something. I wouldn't have let it get this long if I were working around machines every day. As it is, it's probably going to get whacked when it starts to get warm again. Also, I try to keep it groomed and clean.

I wore glasses from 3rd grade, so a lot of the time didn't have to think about safety glasses - sort of had them already, right? I know that they weren't "safety" glasses, per se, but I've almost always had polycarbonate lenses, so some protection. I got Cataract surgery and LASIK last year, though, and now I have to remember to get my safety glasses/goggles/facemask. I *want* to. I spent a lot of money to not wear glasses all the time - I'll wear the PPE some of the time to keep that! Not to mention my hearing, lungs, etc.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

When I worked at the print facility one of my friends had a beard that was literally several feet long and he operated a machine that was basically 100% designed to grab hair and rip it off people. His way of dealing with it was to braid it into a bun that sat tight to his chin while at work. He'd pull the braid apart as soon as a shift was over.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Dell EMC stopped buy to convince us to buy a SAN by bribing us with bagels and coffee.
...but they didn't bring cream cheese, or butter, or jam, or anything.

Who the gently caress wants to eat a bare rear end bagel? Disgusting.
I'll totally take them home and make bacon egg and cheeses though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So taking this a step further..: Electric or Not, Big SUVs Are Inherently Selfish https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m7q7eb/electric-or-not-big-suvs-are-inherently-selfish

It's an interesting read because of the inherent psychological aspect of the lovely cars being sold by the industry:

quote:

Bradsher’s book is a thorough examination of how the auto industry convinced millions of Americans to buy vehicles that were more dangerous (for themselves and other people on the road), got worse gas mileage, were worse for the environment, and got them to pay a premium for the privilege of doing so.

Car companies managed this remarkable feat because they ran—and continue to run—quite possibly the most sophisticated marketing operations on the planet. They knew what people really wanted: to project an image of selfish superiority. And then they sold it to them at a markup.

The picture they painted of prospective SUV buyers was perhaps the most unflattering portrait of the American way of life ever devised. It doubled as a profound and lucid critique of the American ethos, one that has only gained sharper focus in the years since. And that portrait is largely the result of one consultant who worked for Chrysler, Ford, and GM during the SUV boom: Clotaire Rapaille.

Rapaille, a French emigree, believed the SUV appealed—at the time to mostly upper-middle class suburbanites—to a fundamental subconscious animalistic state, our “reptilian desire for survival,” as relayed by Bradsher. (“We don’t believe what people say,” the website for Rapaille’s consulting firm declares. Instead, they use “a unique blend of biology, cultural anthropology and psychology to discover the hidden cultural forces that pre-organize the way people behave towards a product, service or concept”). Americans were afraid, Rapaille found through his exhaustive market research, and they were mostly afraid of crime even though crime was actually falling and at near-record lows. As Bradsher wrote, “People buy SUVs, he tells auto executives, because they are trying to look as menacing as possible to allay their fears of crime and other violence.” They, quite literally, bought SUVs to run over “gang members” with, Rapaille found.

Perhaps this sounds farfetched, but the auto industry’s own studies agreed with this general portrait of SUV buyers. Bradsher described that portrait, comprised of marketing reports from the major automakers, as follows:

~~Who has been buying SUVs since automakers turned them into family vehicles? They tend to be people who are insecure and vain. They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centered and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbors or communities.~~

Then later on:

quote:

Starting in 2004 and continuing through 2018, the most recent year for which data is available, car occupants die at more than double the rate of SUV occupants.

In other words, buying an SUV makes you more likely to kill other people, and yet people buy them in ever-increasing numbers. Rapaille’s reptilian brain concept has surpassed marketing theory and become a real-world experiment about how much Americans value the lives of others: not very much.

To add to this, some of the comments on the writer's twitter thread are from some insanely delicate dudes which kinda proves Rapaille's point :v:

https://twitter.com/A_W_Gordon/status/1224384170056699908

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 5, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the other way of looking at the car vs suv fatalities is that buying an SUV strongly decreases the odds that you and your family will be killed in an accident

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the other way of looking at the car vs suv fatalities is that buying an SUV strongly decreases the odds that you and your family will be killed in an accident
But if everyone didn't have SUVs, we'd all be better off. Sooooo ... that's not a great argument.

I mean, yeah, if everyone else has nukes, you might as well too, but no one should have them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This leads into the research done with the self-driving cars on people's thoughts about what they should do in the event of an unavoidable crash where death is likely to occur. The amount of people who picked 'save me, kill the woman with a pushchair and toddler' was apparently quite high.

It's going to be interesting in the future.

Krakkles posted:

But if everyone didn't have SUVs, we'd all be better off. Sooooo ... that's not a great argument.

I mean, yeah, if everyone else has nukes, you might as well too, but no one should have them.

I'm hoping this leads to a renaissance of small, lowered cars being sold. A future where nobody is blinded by someone else's lights because nobody is driving anything where the headlights are 4ft off the ground, poorly aimed and as bright as the sun.

:v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm hoping this leads to a renaissance of small, lowered cars being sold.

Sure, just not in America.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Krakkles posted:

still gonna have class 3+ vehicles, busses, etc

i agree with you, but i am pointing out that people make individual decisions based on individual incentives

if you think "Well nobody should have a SUV for safety reasons" you're increasing risk to yourself in order to make some broad societal statement. good for you!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Fermented Tinal posted:

When I worked at the print facility one of my friends had a beard that was literally several feet long and he operated a machine that was basically 100% designed to grab hair and rip it off people. His way of dealing with it was to braid it into a bun that sat tight to his chin while at work. He'd pull the braid apart as soon as a shift was over.

This is a respectably pragmatic person. A+

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Krakkles posted:

While true, you just know that's not going to happen. Untrained humans are, like, really, REALLY bad at Game Theory. Plus, buying cars is an inherently selfish endeavor.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

Sure, just not in America.

Well, at least not as long as gas prices remain below three dollars per gallon.

I distinctly remember the mid-2000s - when the number of priced-to-move SUVs on corner used car lots was directly proportional to how close to $4/gallon unleaded gas was.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, at a certain point, it becomes a defensive reaction.
I want one (or a pickup) because I occasionally do truck things - cargo, and pull trailers.but so far, not enough to step away from my sedan (which, since it's a Crown Vic, isn't all that much better in terms of size or mileage...)

At least I have enough confidence in my driving abilities, to paraphrase the article, that I have few concerns about driving my little AE86, or, when it's running, my '79 RX-7.
There is no denying that I like the power of the V8 in my Crown Vic or Cutlass, for sure, though.

The Prong Song posted:

While true, you just know that's not going to happen. Untrained humans are, like, really, REALLY bad at Game Theory. Plus, buying cars is an inherently selfish endeavor.

This is all true.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
But SUVs cost little more than a car, have roughly the same performance, but actually have space for your stuff and your family.
Also car options are so very limited because of the "demand" for SUV's and larger vehicles. That demand is manufactured by car makers because they can upsell options on an SUV much more easily and with more of a profit margin than a comparable car.

Krakkles posted:

Speak for yourself. I daily an F150 because 'Murica!
Actually it's because it would be a stretch financially (and wasteful) to own a truck AND a car just for myself. Plus I would have nowhere to park the drat thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 5, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

After going from small cars like a 350Z to bigger sedans, I just recently made the move to a SUV because I needed something that can fit a great dane, a pit bull, a baby + assorted gear, plus my wife and I. I have to say my GX 460 handles way better than it has any right to, surprisingly, and especially compared to other SUVs I've driven in the past. The biggest downside is the gas mileage (averaging around 13mpg), but I don't drive that far usually anyway.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
We'll find out if it's anything bad in a few hours. I wasn't worried until I started moving 80lb bags of poo poo and my face started to burn and I got a migraine. loving flu season and the Coronavirus scare makes seeing a doctor in Chicago annoyingly difficult

There's little I can see an SUV being better at than a similar sized wagon, and the wagon is lower, so you can access roof storage easier

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I like wagons but there aren't a lot of compelling ones on the market, at least for me. But I wanted to buy used, but won't buy a used BMW or Mercedes, so that gets rid of the better options.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It a shame the Dodge Magnum was built out of literal garbage because they looked cool.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

quote:

~~Who has been buying SUVs since automakers turned them into family vehicles? They tend to be people who are insecure and vain. They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centered and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbors or communities.~~

I have little interest in my neighbors because most of them are assholes and/or idiots :shrug:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My oven stopped heating inside months ago (range top worked fine), been using a toaster oven for things since as I wanted to fix this one. Internet sleuthing made me know it was something in the control board. Was going to order a new one but they were up to $150. Took the old out, ran by my friends shop who repairs guitar amps and stuff, he couldn't really see anything but we both saw one bad spot, he soldered it and we tried and IT IS FIXED! Just a ground went bad.

May try to tackle my washer repair tonight if the kids aren't unexpectedly brought over again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mitt Romney is going to vote or impeachment. Holy poo poo. Could this be enough to sway others?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'd love if that happened, but I'm not holding my breath.

It would be very heartening to see sanity from a group of people that have not displayed it in a long time, and it would be enormously good for our country to see the system work.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Mitt Romney is going to vote or impeachment. Holy poo poo. Could this be enough to sway others?

No. Moscow Mitch exists

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I like wagons but there aren't a lot of compelling ones on the market, at least for me. But I wanted to buy used, but won't buy a used BMW or Mercedes, so that gets rid of the better options.

MBs for the past decade are considerably more reliable on the whole than BMWs; letting uninformed prejudice guide your decisions will lead to shittier outcomes.

Geoj posted:

Well, at least not as long as gas prices remain below three dollars per gallon.

I distinctly remember the mid-2000s - when the number of priced-to-move SUVs on corner used car lots was directly proportional to how close to $4/gallon unleaded gas was.

This won’t matter within the next 10 years as I suspect a real majority of cars sold by 2030 will be electric, and the cost of electricity generation especially from renewable resources continues to drop.

Did I mention batteries are heavy? You may well have compact cars on the road but they’re all going to weigh 2+ tons, so this whole rant about SUV size correlates to mass and center of gravity more than anything, and especially with cheap electricity this isn’t going to get any better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can do a lot more with crash safety when you don't have an engine block and ancillaries sitting up front

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Tremek posted:

MBs for the past decade are considerably more reliable on the whole than BMWs; letting uninformed prejudice guide your decisions will lead to shittier outcomes.

That may be, but I got into cars in the late 90s / early 2000s, right when MBs were serious lemons, and it's going to take me more than 20 years to get past that. I keep cars for a long time and the thought of owning a modern BMW or MB out of warranty makes me cringe. Kimbo305's thread doesn't help with that at all, but also just other people I know who've admittedly had higher end AMG models haven't had good luck once the car is ~10 years old.

*edit*
A guy in my building at work has an AMG GTS and REALLY likes it, but it's just a few years old.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 5, 2020

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I daily an F150 because I can't afford a mustang, a Tesla, and a truck simultaneously. The truck can do most of what the others can do well enough. The cars wouldn't be able to replace what the truck does.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

That may be, but I got into cars in the late 90s / early 2000s, right when MBs were serious lemons, and it's going to take me more than 20 years to get past that. I keep cars for a long time and the thought of owning a modern BMW or MB out of warranty makes me cringe. Kimbo305's thread doesn't help with that at all, but also just other people I know who've admittedly had higher end AMG models haven't had good luck once the car is ~10 years old.

There’s a world of difference between a DC-era AMG v12 W220 and a late model e350/400/450 wagon. Like, night and day.

On that note I have had 3* out of warranty AMGs and not had bad experiences. Pedestrian models from the last 10 years are even less maintenance-intensive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

Yikes. I still remember when I got a lump down my ear welding up underneath the Land Rover. The worst bit is in addition to the pain, you can hear it frying up your ear hairs in the wax.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So taking this a step further..: Electric or Not, Big SUVs Are Inherently Selfish https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m7q7eb/electric-or-not-big-suvs-are-inherently-selfish
OG Hummers are loving cool, though. It's the shite that came after that epitomises the problem.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

That's why I ended up with an '03 Outback.Well, that and running across an amazing Goon deal.
If I could afford it, I would love one of the Buick Regal Tour X wagons, I think. Or, really, a BMW. MB, or Audi wagon, but German car stuff.
Can't even get a Camry or Maxima wagon any more.

Rhyno posted:

It a shame the Dodge Magnum was built out of literal garbage because they looked cool.

:same:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I have little interest in my neighbors because most of them are assholes and/or idiots :shrug:

Well, you *do* live in Florida.

Tremek posted:

Hmmm. Food for thought.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Dell EMC stopped buy to convince us to buy a SAN by bribing us with bagels and coffee.
...but they didn't bring cream cheese, or butter, or jam, or anything.

Who the gently caress wants to eat a bare rear end bagel? Disgusting.
I'll totally take them home and make bacon egg and cheeses though.

We get Panera bagels every Friday morning and they used to send this assortment of cream cheeses along with a couple of years ago, and now they just send plain and chive and onion :mad: On particularly fat Friday mornings I would make a toasted chocolate chip bagel with New York cheesecake cream cheese, mmm.

We're currently in the middle of week 1 of our DMS conversion at work. This is not the first time we've changed the dealership's main software system, and it blows my mind how immediately hosed up everything gets on day one, confusing the poo poo out of all of the people the new software company sends. Every time, it's like the install/training people are on their first day. The last time we requested they pull the team lead out of our store and replace her within the first week, and on day three this time guess what's happening again? :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Article one: Nope!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Krakkles posted:

Article one: Nope!

Article II: Romney voted not guilty.

Trump turned over ZERO Congress-subpoenaed documents from the Executive Branch in this case. If this isn't contempt of Congress, I don't know what can be.

So much for our co-equal branches, they had a good 240 year run.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Article II: Romney voted not guilty.

Trump turned over ZERO Congress-subpoenaed documents from the Executive Branch in this case. If this isn't contempt of Congress, I don't know what can be.

Yep. This is clear precedent that essentially nothing is impeachable from here on out. Nixon should've just tried harder, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Yes but no. Party loyalty regardless of facts are the problem here.

Fake edit: "Party Loyalty" brings to mind Soviet Russia and I got a bit of an uneasy chill at the thought.

Krakkles posted:

Yep. This is clear precedent that essentially nothing is impeachable from here on out. Nixon should've just tried harder, I guess?

More like "nothing is impeachable if you hold a dogmatic Senate majority"