Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Same. Plus not all traffic violations are created equal. Not stopping for pedestrians (as mentioned in the article)? Dickhead. Speeding? Who cares. I also don't stop for red lights on freeway onramps, but that's my own personal battle.

When I'm on the bike I tend to make generalizations on how people will be driving based on their car, and I can usually assume someone in a Porsche or a Corvette will see me and let me split by, but I assume modified VW hatchbacks are driven by total idiots and more often than not I'm proven right. I have multiple friends with VW hatches that aren't idiots, but drat idiots are drawn to them like moths to a flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

After going from small cars like a 350Z to bigger sedans, I just recently made the move to a SUV because I needed something that can fit a great dane, a pit bull, a baby + assorted gear, plus my wife and I. I have to say my GX 460 handles way better than it has any right to, surprisingly, and especially compared to other SUVs I've driven in the past. The biggest downside is the gas mileage (averaging around 13mpg), but I don't drive that far usually anyway.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I like wagons but there aren't a lot of compelling ones on the market, at least for me. But I wanted to buy used, but won't buy a used BMW or Mercedes, so that gets rid of the better options.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Tremek posted:

MBs for the past decade are considerably more reliable on the whole than BMWs; letting uninformed prejudice guide your decisions will lead to shittier outcomes.

That may be, but I got into cars in the late 90s / early 2000s, right when MBs were serious lemons, and it's going to take me more than 20 years to get past that. I keep cars for a long time and the thought of owning a modern BMW or MB out of warranty makes me cringe. Kimbo305's thread doesn't help with that at all, but also just other people I know who've admittedly had higher end AMG models haven't had good luck once the car is ~10 years old.

*edit*
A guy in my building at work has an AMG GTS and REALLY likes it, but it's just a few years old.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 5, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

Someone in another thread got me hooked on flight simulator videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8DadVR-rl0

This is way more entertaining than it should be

Dumb question, but I take it from the first part of this video that there are multi-player flight sims and some guy just volunteers / is appointed air traffic control, then sits there and does that job as randos fly in and out?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Funny coronavirus story - two weeks ago I got the flu a few weeks after my in-laws got back from Asia (but not mainland China). Around a week before I got sick, my father in-law was hospitalized with a gallstone and sepsis, but the hospital was of course worried about COVID-19 so he was extensively tested, did not have it, so I was fairly certain I did not get it from them at least. I was also pretty sure I had walking pneumonia before I had the flu, so I figured I may as well call my doctor and see her to get some tamiflu and something for my lungs. Call the doctor, make an appointment to see her later in the day, everything is great.

Around 30 mins later, the leader of her practice group calls me back and says change of plans, go straight to the ER, there will be people waiting for you. I get there, everyone is treating me like I'm going to patient zero for COVID-19 in the hospital, I'm put in a negative pressure room in the ER so it can't spread, etc. Meet the ER doc, she says I don't really have COVID-19 symptoms, I say no poo poo I already told everyone on the phone the only person I've been around who was in Asia was already tested a week ago, I get tested everything is fine, I just have walking pneumonia and influenza-A.

The end result of all this was I got to pay a $250 ER visit co-pay and hang out at the hospital for four hours (and maybe a bigger bill coming in the future), versus my $30 co-pay if I just went to the doctor. I can afford to pay the higher amount although I'm not thrilled about it, but a lot of people in the US can't, or will have an even higher amount they have to pay to go to the ER (my old insurance had a $500 co-pay). As I was sitting there bored in the ER I realized the American health care system will absolutely contribute to the spread of COVID-19 if it starts to get big here, as a huge chunk of the population would just not go the ER if their doctor said go there instead coming in to your regular doc. At a bare minimum they should be giving you free ER visits and testing if they're going to send you there.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

meatpimp posted:

FREE? In the US of GODDAMN A? Are you some kinda commie???

The funny thing is it's pretty easy to see that free preventative care could save incredible amounts of money versus having to treat a ton of cases, not to mention lost productivity, but that works for health care in general, not just COVID-19.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

bolind posted:

Pay in cash and tip him a gift card to a restaurant so he can take his lady out. (Or mistress or boyfriend or whatever satisfies his version of "happy wife, happy life.")

In other news, recommend me a backpack. Must be able to contain a laptop, be reasonably ergonomic, waterproof and have access possibilities that aren't top only. Osprey is a brand that springs to mind, but I'm not married to it. Will be used to haul laptop, bike helmet, clothes, groceries etc. to and fro on my commute, which will be mainly by bike.

I have an Osprey Ozone 46 that has held up to a ton of travel, and also a lot of holding way too much stuff while I'm on my motorcycle. I also have a North Face that I got from a street Vendor in Vietnam (though it looks legit, I think it's one that fell off the truck), but the plastic buckle that holds the straps broke when I had too much weight in it (bringing beer home on the bike). I've had the Osprey 100% full of cans of beer and it didn't take any damage despite a fairly long bike ride.

The North Face had better padding in the straps though. I bought the Osprey ~5 or 6 years ago when I was traveling all the time, and I've been an Osprey evangelist ever since.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That is not dead which can eternal lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

shy boy from chess club posted:

Gonna try to see if crush person wants to go see New Order and Pet Shop Boys when they come around this fall, waiting to hear back :ohdear:

I got tickets to see them at the Hollywood Bowl this coming June, logged on the second I could and I still had 2000 people in front of me in Ticket Master's "waiting room." Eventually I got on, a lot of the good seats had already been taken then put up for resale, I found some reasonably priced ones and TM gave me a "hold on we're securing your seats message." After 10 mins of that, I gave up, tried other more expensive seats - same thing. Eventually changed from Chrome to Firefox, had a small wait again, then had to pay WAY too much to buy two terrace seats on resale.

After all that, they announced a second night due to high interest, I don't even want to log on to see if I could be saving hundreds on tickets.