Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Took the kid to the park today.

She didn't play on the playground but she LOVED trying to eat the mulch.
Whatever makes you happy I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KakerMix posted:

I put together a cool shrine to Toyota:

Oh poo poo this makes me wanna stuff one of my CB750 tool wraps into one of those "In Case Of Emergency, Break Glass" thingies and mount it in the garage.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
"It's just a game."

I lol'd.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

STR posted:

they get checked every 15 minutes in TX, so it's just a click of the mouse to turn someone's power on/off).
lol you and I both know there's just a cron job that runs every 15 mins that just shuts off every account with a $0 balance that someone put in place like 10 years ago and hasn't been touched since.
No loving way any power company is paying any computer toucher to check that poo poo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Dell EMC stopped buy to convince us to buy a SAN by bribing us with bagels and coffee.
...but they didn't bring cream cheese, or butter, or jam, or anything.

Who the gently caress wants to eat a bare rear end bagel? Disgusting.
I'll totally take them home and make bacon egg and cheeses though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
But SUVs cost little more than a car, have roughly the same performance, but actually have space for your stuff and your family.
Also car options are so very limited because of the "demand" for SUV's and larger vehicles. That demand is manufactured by car makers because they can upsell options on an SUV much more easily and with more of a profit margin than a comparable car.

Krakkles posted:

But if everyone didn't have SUVs, we'd all be better off. Sooooo ... that's not a great argument.

I mean, yeah, if everyone else has nukes, you might as well too, but no one should have them.

Speak for yourself. I daily an F150 because 'Murica!
Actually it's because it would be a stretch financially (and wasteful) to own a truck AND a car just for myself. Plus I would have nowhere to park the drat thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 5, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Krakkles posted:

I read this as "tans", and it made me chuckle.

I agree. I was kind of apolitical until he came along, now I feel like I can't ignore it, because it's so bad.

I read "gray, tans, browns" and now I'm imagining what a pride flag looks like to colorblind people.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

Neither can. But look how goddamned stupid the DNC is. loving look at them. It's a clusterfuck. Bernie Sanders could be the goddamned savior, like political Jesus and they hate him so much that they're going to do everything they can to push him out again.

Yeah gently caress their bullshit. I'm writing in Bernie if I have to. Even if it means giving Trump another 4 years to build his wall.
The DNC has just as much of a "Good Ol' Boys" syndrome as any political entity. Even if they have progressive views, they're still personally conservative. Meaning they would like the power within their party, to remain where it is.

poo poo, the Republicans tried to do the same thing to Trump initially, and he took that whole party over his knee and made them his bitch.
Since the Impeachment is over, I think he can just safely go ahead and rename it to the Trump Party because clearly that entire side of the aisle is just lined up to suck his tiny dick.

Geoj posted:

Fixed.

They've already started - loosening standards for the next debate so he can qualify.

I mean I don't hate the idea of businessman vs. businessman in the next election. But I much prefer Bernie.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Krakkles posted:

Bad take.
Agreed, but any one of the current candidates would be better for the country as a whole than El Cheeto Racisto, and while I'd love to see Warren, Bernie, or Yang, probably in that order, I'd rather back the person who's going to get Trump out than vote for my own personal favorite, because that's how you lose elections. Do you want to lose elections?
Agreed.
I think we need to stop idolizing businessmen, because A) they pretty much universally suck B) they get where they got by not giving two shits about anybody and C) how's this one working out?

I think I left out the part where America is a bunch of loving idiots and Trump is our punishment. We deserve this because we are terrible.
Sure, there's a lot of us who aren't terrible. Hell, even a majority of us didn't vote for Trump.

I'm not idolizing a businessman.
But also, Bezos for President 2020!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

STR posted:

:sever: happened.
Sorry I'm late to the party, but this is awesome. Good for you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Beach Bum posted:

:magical: That loving blows

I have a serious justice-chub for the dicking you're going to give this guy

Every time I think about paying other people to do things I can do but don't really want to I read something like this and I'm all "Yeah it'll take me twice as long and look half as good but the fucker will work like it's supposed to and won't be broken".

My wife sitting on the couch reading: "You're going to pay somebody to paint the house because you don't have time."
Me as I'm holding our 1 year old while talking to her mother on the phone (whom she can't "deal with at the moment") while making her dinner and lunch for tomorrow: "I know, if only there were some way for me to do FOUR things at once instead of just three."

To be fair I've been working on our mudroom for like 9 months now because I've been waiting for a cheap slab of wood to pop up on craigslist instead of spending $800 on a hunk of black walnut. But all that waiting is about to go out the window when a contractor comes in and charges us three grand to quickly throw a bunch of paint on a few walls. :sigh:

Also my wife: I quit my job because it's hard and btw we're going to Disney next year.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Hi chat thread!
I have a bad habit of going to thrift stores and buying poo poo I don't need.

One of my more recent purchases:
Polycom VVX500 IP phones.

$5 each but the color of the week was purple so $5 for both.

I just got my PBX up and running and I'm all set to plug them in when I realize I can't trunk it to Google Voice anymore without buying an Obihai adapter because GV doesn't run XMPP anymore :(

Anytime I tell anyone else their response is usually something to the effect of, "why the gently caress do you need a house phone?"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Darchangel posted:

Why the gently caress do you need a house phone?

I'M GLAD YOU ASKED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4dkBF5anU

Edit: I mean I have a phone with my FiOS service but I like loving around with telephony. It's sort of my wheelhouse.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 24, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Darchangel posted:

I knew that had to come out sooner or later.

This is actually one of my favorite things;

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/4gla0x/extension_666_hell_we_are_sick_of_cold_sales/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Darchangel posted:

Good Lord.

In other news, I have to remember to only look at FaceBook for the Marketplace and certain friends and groups.
God help me, I responded to a friend who plastered up some poo poo about a vote for Bernie being a vote for Communism, "takin' are guns", and killing babies. I don't argue well, so I'm probably just going to have to let him and his wing nut buddies "win". At least he knows where I stand, now, I guess. I've kind of just ignored his terrible political views because he was a good friend in high school, and does some cool stuff with cars and motorbikes. I don't understand how someone who doesn't seem to be a terrible person in, well, person, can be so terrible on FaceBook, publicly. For that matter, I generally keep my opinions fairly private, but his spew kind of pushed me too hard. I also don't get his absolutist this-is-fact attitude. I've been wrong so many times in my life I always leave at least a little room for doubt. Ugh. FaceBook.

"Sorry I let my friend drive you and roll you over. Thanks for being a tough little bastard and not killing him."
(Incidentally - this is the same friend as the above FaceBook regret.)

Yeah I don't go on Facebook. Perfectly normal and rational people turn into blathering idiots vomiting their ignorant stream of consciousness into the void. If that poo poo gets on you then it's your fault.
My wife wanted to pick a fight with one of my friends because of some stupid pro-trump poo poo he posted.
I told her not to feed the trolls.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

toplitzin posted:

Anyone want some soup?

Now more than ever.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Grakkus posted:

I made an offer last night on a house that's extremely shabby and run down, and small. The house is basically garbage, but it's sitting on a decent property in an alright place. It was a cash offer equal to the one I made on a place in January that was nearly twice as large and was actually liveable (though also in need of work), about 15% less than the (absurd) asking but still probably way more than it would be worth paying for the place.

This morning I got an 800 word essay by email from him telling me how stupid I am. Among other things, he mentions that if I expect to pay a company to do work on renovating the house I am "either stupid, naive or absurdly rich" and that "anyone who knows that they are doing should be working to fix the house themselves over the space of several years at the cost of materials". And that I should probably be a building engineer to do it properly. He finishes off by telling me that if I don't have the mettle for that sort of work, I be buying a new house from a developer.

What the actual gently caress is wrong with people

Don't ever deal with people that don't have real estate agents.
Don't ever not have a real estate agent.

If poo poo goes sideways they can get messier than a divorce and you need everyone you can get in your corner.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
God drat I could really go for some Pecan Lodge right now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

meatpimp posted:

That is a homeowner's claim on my insurance and they are subrogating against his insurance. His insurance adjuster already called me to get the job number and contact information for the mitigation service, I think they'll probably just take responsibility for the claim. It gets more complicated because my insurance covers "replacement cost," which is buying new, where his insurance (had I claimed through them) only pay out "actual cash value." It gets more sucky for me, because my insurance had already paid to replace a lot of the flooring that I saved from upstairs and was going to re-use downstairs (about 800 sqft of bamboo), it all got wet this time and had to be thrown out, so that's just a sad trombone for me.

You can still very easily sue him for the difference of the value of what was lost, beyond the "actual cash value."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Beach Bum posted:

GUESS WHO DRAGGED THEIR rear end ON GETTING HEALTH INSURANCE FOR THREE MONTHS BEFORE THEY BROKE THEIR HIP

:cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes:

Moral dilemma: Do I cash out my poo poo to save her bacon, or recommend a bankruptcy lawyer and pull the ripcord?

Some good news at least: she had surgery this afternoon and it only took 90 minutes for a total hip replacement. Doc said she'll probably go home tomorrow and be walking by next week.

Just transfer all of her assets, rack up the medical bills, then declare bankruptcy when you can't stretch it out any longer.
Yay America!

InitialDave posted:

Absofuckinglutely not.

What are your options more along a path of her gifting you her entire net worth, and forcing them to spend the next few decades trying to recoup their costs at $10 a month from someone who is nominally penniless?

yeah this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Last!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Man, this February feels like the longest one ever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

meatpimp posted:

:siren: Guys, we have a problem. :siren:

As you may have noticed, there are two chat threads currently open. This has caused a great disruption and this is exactly what Russia wants. But we're on to their scheme. Did they really think that we wouldn't notice the fact that one thread has a Cycles tag and the other has a Cars tag? It's clear how this will go down. The car people must squash the cycle people. You know what to do.

I'm here for the cars.