Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I think everyone in here has probably experienced 'the Audi wanker' at some point. Study says more German cars than any others and that's definitely been a thing for a while in the UK. Used to be BMW as they were the go-to for repmobiles driving up and down the UK on sales calls and such and now that's moved more into Audi (due to lots of finance deals on them) with a nod to VW who definitely have their fair share of bellends. Mercedes in my personal experience seems to have less twats for some reason.

*edit: that said, more than anything UBER drivers are consistently just loving terrible at doing the only thing they actually need to do, driving. They're not aggressive or anything, just REALLY BAD at holding lanes, driving near the speed limit or knowing where they're going despite sat nav assistance.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So taking this a step further..: Electric or Not, Big SUVs Are Inherently Selfish https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m7q7eb/electric-or-not-big-suvs-are-inherently-selfish

It's an interesting read because of the inherent psychological aspect of the lovely cars being sold by the industry:

quote:

Bradsher’s book is a thorough examination of how the auto industry convinced millions of Americans to buy vehicles that were more dangerous (for themselves and other people on the road), got worse gas mileage, were worse for the environment, and got them to pay a premium for the privilege of doing so.

Car companies managed this remarkable feat because they ran—and continue to run—quite possibly the most sophisticated marketing operations on the planet. They knew what people really wanted: to project an image of selfish superiority. And then they sold it to them at a markup.

The picture they painted of prospective SUV buyers was perhaps the most unflattering portrait of the American way of life ever devised. It doubled as a profound and lucid critique of the American ethos, one that has only gained sharper focus in the years since. And that portrait is largely the result of one consultant who worked for Chrysler, Ford, and GM during the SUV boom: Clotaire Rapaille.

Rapaille, a French emigree, believed the SUV appealed—at the time to mostly upper-middle class suburbanites—to a fundamental subconscious animalistic state, our “reptilian desire for survival,” as relayed by Bradsher. (“We don’t believe what people say,” the website for Rapaille’s consulting firm declares. Instead, they use “a unique blend of biology, cultural anthropology and psychology to discover the hidden cultural forces that pre-organize the way people behave towards a product, service or concept”). Americans were afraid, Rapaille found through his exhaustive market research, and they were mostly afraid of crime even though crime was actually falling and at near-record lows. As Bradsher wrote, “People buy SUVs, he tells auto executives, because they are trying to look as menacing as possible to allay their fears of crime and other violence.” They, quite literally, bought SUVs to run over “gang members” with, Rapaille found.

Perhaps this sounds farfetched, but the auto industry’s own studies agreed with this general portrait of SUV buyers. Bradsher described that portrait, comprised of marketing reports from the major automakers, as follows:

~~Who has been buying SUVs since automakers turned them into family vehicles? They tend to be people who are insecure and vain. They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centered and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbors or communities.~~

Then later on:

quote:

Starting in 2004 and continuing through 2018, the most recent year for which data is available, car occupants die at more than double the rate of SUV occupants.

In other words, buying an SUV makes you more likely to kill other people, and yet people buy them in ever-increasing numbers. Rapaille’s reptilian brain concept has surpassed marketing theory and become a real-world experiment about how much Americans value the lives of others: not very much.

To add to this, some of the comments on the writer's twitter thread are from some insanely delicate dudes which kinda proves Rapaille's point :v:

https://twitter.com/A_W_Gordon/status/1224384170056699908

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 5, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the other way of looking at the car vs suv fatalities is that buying an SUV strongly decreases the odds that you and your family will be killed in an accident

This leads into the research done with the self-driving cars on people's thoughts about what they should do in the event of an unavoidable crash where death is likely to occur. The amount of people who picked 'save me, kill the woman with a pushchair and toddler' was apparently quite high.

It's going to be interesting in the future.

Krakkles posted:

But if everyone didn't have SUVs, we'd all be better off. Sooooo ... that's not a great argument.

I mean, yeah, if everyone else has nukes, you might as well too, but no one should have them.

I'm hoping this leads to a renaissance of small, lowered cars being sold. A future where nobody is blinded by someone else's lights because nobody is driving anything where the headlights are 4ft off the ground, poorly aimed and as bright as the sun.

:v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

poo poo how much money are original NSXs going for these days though? I know a dude who bought one maybe 5 years ago, high mileage for £28k and that was super cheap... I imagine you're not getting much change from double that these days.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A Small Car posted:

First, my ex finally got the rest of her stuff out of my house! It's only been 3 or 4 years (I genuinely don't know how long it's been lol). Time to move my shed workshop into the now cleared spare room!

That's taking the piss juuuuuuuuuuuuuust a little. The only excuse she could have for that is literally being in a loving coma.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

big dong wanter posted:

For 12k surely you could do a fake iroc with an ls engine and it would be far funner

Yeah if you want oldschool RWD hoon fun, surely loading a relative shitter with a peppier, more modern engine is the way to do it?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I think he means 'difficult' in that the customer actually expected the guy not to loving ruin his kitchen...

*tin foil hat* Actually thinking about it, do you reckon they flooded your kitchen on purpose, hoping you'd tell them to gently caress off so they could get YOU for breach because they were expecting to be able to just toss it off and make a mess of the install?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wrar posted:

Hell yeah dude. Hit up whatever museums you can, there are some great ones (if that's your thang(s)).

The V&A has a specific Cars exhibition which is pretty cool. I was there last week. There's a fair whack of old Russian (1930s) concept art which is so far ahead of its time in terms of what it's portraying. It's not huge but is definitely worth a look. The video section with the Lowrider, South African girl who was on that Netflix car thing and old Japanese guy who build Dekatora trucks was really interesting. You also get to meet Graham, the human designed to withstand crashing...

https://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/cars

InitialDave posted:

It's a bit wet and miserable at present though.

I can't remember the last time it wasn't!

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 20, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Audacity is free so if it's noisy you can try and use the noise reduction effect on it. There's only so much you can do with a bad audio starting point but it's worth a try doing that and adjust the EQ a bit.

*edit: load audio into Audacity, Select a section of noise, go to effects, noise reduction, hit 'get noise profile'. Then select the entirety of the audio track, go back to noise reduction and you can then hit the OK button. The reduction/sensitivity sliders will obviously affect things differently so go ahead and play.

EQ just needs you to select what you want EQing so you can do it for the whole track or just sections. Again, you may be able to improve things.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 20, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

toplitzin posted:

Bumfuck FL had little person coleslaw/creamed corn wrestling.

That 'what do you mean white people don't have any culture sweaty?' meme but with this as the background image.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

I thought it was sweety, but I like your version.

Sweaty is the recognised Internet pisstake misspelling :v:

But really, it is.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KakerMix posted:

I don't know nothin' bout no space wires, but I know that my wife got me a pretty fantastic birthday gift:

LOOK AT THIS loving JACKET
It's a real deal vintage 1980s windbreaker, so no liner, just the outer shell. It's in phenomenal shape, fits perfectly and came all the way from Japan. Also, made in the USA :v:

How come there's no TRD badge on it or was this pre-TRD was an actual thing? When I rebuild my Supra I'm going to put those stripes somewhere. :3:

Jacket owns.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Management obsession with sickness absence is crazy. Our office rule is if you're sick, DO NOT COME TO WORK TO INFECT EVERYONE ELSE. We can manage when you're sick, we'll do whatever you have booked in, but if you give that poo poo to everyone then we simply cannot function so please stay the gently caress away. You're not being a hero for rolling up to work infectious, you're being an utter oval office. Your job is literally not that important that you can't take a couple of days to get over it to the detriment of the others in your office.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

bolind posted:

I've 99% sealed a deal where I get a new job at basically the same base salary but this time with a bonus, but none of that really matters because get this: it has a 2.7km commute.

Sure happy I went for the 20kkm/year lease deal now. :D

Fake edit: 2.6 by bike.

Noice. My girlfriend landed a new higher paid job a couple of weeks back which drops her commute from like 90 minutes to 14 a day. To say this has made her happy is an understatement, she loving hated that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Why is this thread still open? This is anarchy!