Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
In my efforts to find the perfect truck shaped car, I keep coming back to the conflict in philosophies with regards to money.

On one hand, I'm leaning toward the Suzuki Carry or Mighty Boy. I know from experience that it's not ideal to have a car with parts that only come from across an ocean, but with the price of pre-97, manual transmission, quality trucks, I could just buy the trucks I dream about instead

On the other, perhaps more reasonable, hand I could spend $800 and get a piece of garbage, use it up, and just buy more $800 piles of rust and Bondo pretending to be trucks when they die. Selling them for whatever price is better than scrap prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

No way I would drive a Kei truck/car on public roads they are loving death traps. Yeah an old cheap F150 isn't the safest vehicle, but it's gonna have an airbag and not cripple you in a fender bender.

This is a kei truck vs Ford Ranger in a low speed crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX5HTFEID9M

Oh... I forgot why they never came to America

STR posted:

And this is when Bajaja and STR's paths collide. :2bong:

I would love to find a Baja, but I can't say I've even seen one in the flesh in years.

(don't worry, they're based on the Legacy, which is what Brokeback is also based on, so your dream just put me in a cooler version of my car)

:catstare:
How did I not think of those? There's a handful selling for $4k-$8k in my area

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Siochain posted:

So, got married this weekend. Kept it a secret from everyone but the officiant and the two friends who were witnesses.
Perfect day. +1 outside, light snow, had a little ceremony in a nice park. Went home, ate cake and had coffee, then ordered pizza for supper.
A+ would get married again.

poo poo, congratulations!
I might just steal that idea and "elope" with a tiny party

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Tremek posted:

I’m nice to people and have cool cars, but I get it.

quote:

To be fair, the study also found that conscientious people are also drawn to high-status cars. “The link is presumably explained by the importance they attach to high quality. All makes of car have a specific image, and by driving a reliable car they are sending out the message that they themselves are reliable,” Lönnqvist explains.

Nice cars can be cool cars too

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I drive fast, but rarely aggressively. I'm practically a boy scout when it comes to signaling and etiquette

I just like to go fast :shrug:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I am obsessed with safety. At work, I'm the only guy who wears real PPE, I wear extra PPE when I weld, I make sure that I'm not gonna get hurt and that I won't hurt anyone else. Of course that means that I got a nice chunk of hot slag in my eye even though I had safety glasses and regular glasses on

Hooray for corneal abrasions!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

We'll find out if it's anything bad in a few hours. I wasn't worried until I started moving 80lb bags of poo poo and my face started to burn and I got a migraine. loving flu season and the Coronavirus scare makes seeing a doctor in Chicago annoyingly difficult

There's little I can see an SUV being better at than a similar sized wagon, and the wagon is lower, so you can access roof storage easier

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Thomas Jefferson posted:

And what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Well, actually, article 2 says that when the president does it, it's not illegal. No one ever talks about article 2, but that's exactly what it says. Obama was just too stupid to use his absolute power
:suicide101:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

ilkhan posted:

I'm always interested in hearing what you say. You (collectively) have changed my thinking in some ways and reinforced it in others. Not that any of you commies have any interest in hearing from the other side.

And I remind you all, yet again, I did not vote for Trump in 2016.

Don't you impune the good name of communism, Trumpism is just neoliberal Stalinism :ussr:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i certainly understand a bunch of conservative points of view, but i don't get how Trump is actually delivering on anything that my conservative friends want.

I've asked some hardline partisans I know about which tenants of conservativism he follows, and it basically comes down to appointing judges who don't like Roe V Wade and his complete lack of a filter. Everything else has been hand waved or deflected into endless what-aboutisms.

I may joke a lot about communism, and his ties to Russia were so suspicious that our famously conservative intelligence agencies had to double check that he wasn't a foreign asset, but this poo poo is just neoliberal Stalinism. The only saving grace is that the Trump purges were bloodless

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Think Cheney, but instead of a Neocon warmonger, an extreme homophobe who is so dogmatically religious that most pastors would tell him to chill

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KakerMix posted:

re: Trump

History is not going to be kind to white male conservatives and this whole ~era~ of just absolute garbage, one way or another.
As a straight white male that lives in a wealthy conservative area I'm constantly looked at like everyone's brother, son, or grandson. The insane off the deep end poo poo people confide in me because I look like them is loving wild. I don't need talking points or NPR or chem trails to make up my mind. Spend some time with true brain worm away-from-reality dead to rights pieces of poo poo white men on a golf course and you too will go 'holy gently caress burn all this down and start over, please.' Those dudes are terrified of Bernie Sanders.

:same:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Elviscat posted:

E: I am so loving lucky my GF doesn't blame me for the brake failure I caused by not torquing her caliper bolts properly, and she is totally cool with me doing her brakes again, now that her rear pads are wearing down.

I did a bad and convinced the missus that she must have run over something and that's why her splash guards started dragging. It had absolutely nothing to do with a half dozen or so rusty screws snapping off and me being too lazy to drill out and replace more than 2. No sir, she ran over something. Joke's on me, I have to fix all the poo poo that's aggressively rusting to death under her car

Yikes. Would it be a bad time to tell her that if she bought a higher quality battery, it might still be under warranty?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The man in the dinosaur onesie deserves more respect

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Call me a filthy millennial, but limiting your screen time sucks

Even all of my books are digital

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i feel like it's really easy to get an auto loan

Maybe on a new car or a valuable car, but in the $3k-$6k range? Good loving luck. The car is the collateral, and you're basically underwater 6 months into the loan thanks to depreciation, so a lot of lenders won't bother unless your APR is so high that you'd be better off with a personal loan

And at least with a person loan, you can buy private party sales without jumping through hoops

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, sorry, a Northeast car is largely valueless anywhere but in the Northeast. Too much possibility of hidden Northeastness.

That's what scares me about buying rust belt cars, it seeps into the metal and completely eats it in a matter of years. My perfect cherry Capri already has little holes in the floor pans growing and 2 jack points have crumbled in less than 3 years on Chicago roads

:hfive:
Good for you man, you definitely deserved to be treated better

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The missus hates Valentine's day, and even though I enjoy it, we compromise by having a very nice dinner and that's it. No gifts, cards, flowers, or anything else

Gonna get a dry aged tomahawk steak tomorrow night and drink a bunch of booze

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I don't know why a dude who has clearly been a republican piece of poo poo his entire life is suddenly being allowed to run as a democrat.

Because

kastein posted:

He's Donald Trump (D).

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Tremek posted:

Everything is expensive down under, what is this competitive pricing you speak of

Yeah, but that's in Dollary-Doos. In real money, that's a very reasonable and competitive $89,263.40 :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There's a dirty semi-secert there. The costs of Aust wages had less to do with the final price than the bullshit the LNP and conservative rags tried to say. Toyota were quite well able to make cars cheaper in Australia for some reason.... hmmm.......

Like for instance, did you know GM did a fair degree of profit shifting with Holden under the guise of paying for rights to it's own engineering (Holden's NOT US GM) and trademarks? And as a interesting thought, Opel under it's first year of ownership by PSA made a fairly decent profit. The first one since 1999. Co-incidence you say? Or or likely proof Opel was in fact being leeched by GM? And that in fact Holden's average per worker wage bill wasn't actually that much higher than a GM one?

It also seems odd the conservative govt didnt want to pay a cent more when Holden returned 16 dollars to 1 in economic benefit. The LNP have zero issue handing out big bucks to miners.... who are actually smaller and employed less as a sector than Holden by itself, let alone the suppliers jobs it supported. It's less odd when you work out that Holden and the car industry in general was heavily unionised. So you might say no one would be THAT loving stupid to dare GM to close and risk 100,000s of jobs and billions of economic benefit as a whole just because they hated unions right?

Any doubts now?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yeah but that's later money, now money is the only money that matters in the US

We can't even get making money right, why would we be any good at saving it?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Just be happy that your weatherstripping isn't letting every drop of water from 1/4 of your roof fall directly onto the driver's seat
And to think that I was going to pull the roll of painter's plastic out of my car

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't ever deal with people that don't have real estate agents.
Don't ever not have a real estate agent.

If poo poo goes sideways they can get messier than a divorce and you need everyone you can get in your corner.

My real estate agent essentially told me to gently caress off and that I had no business buying a house at the time. I hated him saying that at the time, especially in front of my fiance, but it's proved itself out at least 3 times over and I will go back to him again because he was so direct and honest

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

That's what I'm guessing. I watched a few tutorials, I might be able to blend the lost paint with some care. I'm not going to go to the trouble of stripping the entire room, not right now anyways.

Also, blue tape will rip the urethane off of wood floors. It's called painter's tape, but the adhesive is serious business as far as masking tapes go

I know it's far too late now and you didn't know that it was delicate work in the first place, but you want green or yellow tape for delicate work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Is a chat thread not entitled to the posts of its users? No, says the mod, they belong to the next month. No, says the OP of the new thread, they belong in my thread. No, says the shitposter, they belong in every thread. I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something different, I chose the impossible, I chose AI