Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The problem with plan A is obvious, parts. Registration and ability to drive on highways or whatever too. Don’t know where you are, but you can register them (25 year rule doesn’t apply if you have a title) in indiana and drive on public roads but not interstates. Personally I have been looking at Kubota RTVs and these caught my eye because I could legally drive it to the gas station.

The route I would suggest is the second. But here is the problem, trucks hold value on the low end. Sure, a $80k F350 might be worth $20k 8 years later, but once they hit a certain point, the depreciation levels out. Especially ones with a reputation for being tough and reliabile. I had a 2006 dmax silverado 2500, I paid $25k for it in 2011. When it was totalled in 2015 with 166ish on the clock insurance gave me nearly $22k. That same truck with a clean title is still worth about $20k today. The ones that are cheap have many reasons why they are cheap. Finding one thats worth the money requires paying more than it seems you want to spend, or investing time and elbow grease in making a cheap one right.

I would avoid rangers, s10s, tacomas and Colorados. People think they cost less to own but they don’t, the mpg still sucks, the resales are always really high, and the affordable trucks are always beat to poo poo. A Nissan Frontier might be ok, but watch out for rust. The newer ones bend in half because the frame rotted through before the bed sides even bubble up.

Honestly your best bet is a V6, 2wd half ton in whatever make and cab configuration you want. Used fleet trucks can be decent, the maintenance might have been done on time, but watch out for the used contractor trucks or the ones owned by construction workers. I got a great deal off an older coworker who sold me a 1993 GMC 1500 4x4 for $1200 with a fresh rebuilt motor and 110k on the clock. He locked it up hunting and the person who put the engine in did not understand fuel injection so it ran like poo poo and I got a deal. It needed a vacuum line from the egr solenoid to the egr valve and a new ecu. That seems to be a common theme, the seller might not understand “computer poo poo” and if its running like crap you can get a deal.

So yeah, V6 1/2 ton, 2WD, 1990s-2000s and you should be ok. Put the pedal to the floor when you crank it and listen for any dead cylinders. When it starts, look for blue smoke out of the exhaust and pull the oil cap and look for blow by. If it passes the engines are all decent. Transmission will have 4 speeds and a locking torque converter. You can also find manuals. If its got all its gears and shifts smooth its probably ok, if not, a rebuild is $1500 or so. I would budget 2500-3500 all in and you can reasonably expect it to last. You may think you can do it cheaper but by the time its fixed and in reasonable condition it always costs that much or more. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

meatpimp posted:

I'm pissed at YouTube. It's always been one of my long-planned projects to get a '70s or '80s Rolls Royce and put a big modern motor in it. Those cars can be picked up sub-$10k and (imo) are perfect for such a swap.

Now there are 2 major channels that have done just that in the past month and that's going to bring attention to the few Rollers that are out there. :mad:

I think car wizard putting the rolls royce motor in the 62 C30 is cooler.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I too feel like its easy to get an auto loan. My credit is excellent, they usually only ask for my drivers license and ssn. I have an idea of what my interest rate should be before I go in, and I let them know that. Last time the ram dealer was able to beat what I thought was the best rate I could find from a CU. No buying down points involved. Their first offer was also $10k off MSRP on a $58k truck which was acceptable to me. Maybe I could have done better but its hard to tell.

The whole process is really easy if you know what numbers should be before you go in and have good credit. You should also know if the make and model your after is worth buying or not. Some cars your better off leasing.

Which brings me to the next topic. I saw that vinwiki video on lease hacking a while back and brushed it off as too complicated. Its the ultimate difficult numbers game with a dealer. But drat, I just checked out the leasehackr forums and brokers are offering tacomas for $200ish a month. Which kinda makes sense, because the residual value is super high and your essentially paying for a loan on the depreciation. Thats a hell of a deal too, yeah you don’t own it but toyota care covers maintenance until 25k, and it has a warranty, so you just pay a couple hundred a month to drive it, not worry, and get a new one every 27 months.

My wife suggested leasing whatever car I want once our current vehicles are paid off this month. I don’t keep cars very long and I like new poo poo so its super tempting. I also like the concept of driving a new BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Volvo but not owning its questionable engineering and build quality. An M5 is still a little out of my price range even with a unicorn of a lease, but lots of interesting vehicles aren’t.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Mine was in the 500s at one point from a combination of using credit cards to survive and unemployment. Fixing it required changing my mindset about what I needed to survive and what I was willing to do for work. It took a move several states away and a decent factory job to fix the work part of it. The move wasn’t easy either, at that point I had what I could fit in a laundry basket, bummed a ride and slept on the floor until things worked out.

I don’t want to sound bootstraps and republican (I’m not) but you still can if your smart and willing to put up with a lot of bullshit.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Krakkles posted:

... and you get lucky.

The basic issue that "bootstraps, my dear boy!" ignores (well, ok, one of them) is that moving several states away is not something everyone can do and a "decent factory job" is very much not widely available. If you got one and you were able to move, you were already ahead of where a lot of other people are, and not (always) in a "just change how you think about it" way.

Ehhh. I can get you or anybody a decent factory job. Unemployment here is 2%. The catch: you have to live in Indiana or Kentucky. Its probably night shift, and you will have a takt time to meet and need to bust rear end. Its also union.

The move did cost nothing, I was able to reduce what I owned to fit in a laundry basket and bum a ride. A grayhound ticket would have done the same thing and cost about $50. The lucky part was having a floor to sleep on.

Again, a huge part of how I did it is lowering my standards. Not saying that works for everyone, but you can’t say it’s impossible or pure luck.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Look, if you just work super loving hard and devote yourself to your employer and maybe get lucky to be underpaid and therefore safe from immediate layoffs, ANYONE can keep their job for 3-5 years (if your employment matches the whims of the employer's bottom line)

Thats accurate, and not “fair”, but its how the game is played. You can keep the lovely job long enough to get a car and find a better one at Alcoa or Toyota in my area. Alcoa does layoffs but pays better, toyota or thier suppliers just cut hours when the economy takes a poo poo. I have been on the receiving end of a layoff in 2018. It happens, I had enough saved/budgeted that it wasn’t an issue. How I felt about it doesn’t change the outcome or matter at all really.

My oldest son had achondroplasia. He died from bacterial meningitis if your questioning my use of the word “had”. So yeah, I know what its like to find daycare for a child with needs. Its possible. The county offers subsidized child care if you need it. It used to be 24 hour but there wasn’t demand for it at night. Toyota provides it on site. Children also have two parents, ideally (not always the case I know) the other parent can contribute. If the other parent contributes nothing at all even in shithole indiana the government still provides assistance in the form of housing, food and subsidized care. Half the battle is knowing where to look. SSDI is also still a thing for those with a genuine disability and goes a lot farther in a low cost of living area than it would in California or South Florida.

As far as a record goes, I have had employees that wore ankle bracelets. Others that were on the sex offender registry. A boss that got a felony dui on the way to work. Those were the obvious ones. I’m sure for every one that I knew about there were 10 that I did not. Manufacturing doesn’t really discriminate.

I have made the offer of a place to sleep and a job to a few people. Three have taken me up on it so far and all have been successful enough to find their own place and not be in complete poverty. I do get it, luck is a factor, but so is willingness to change, learn and adapt.

I feel bad for people with addictions or mental health issues, thats what seems to hold a lot of good people back. But if your willing to step outside your comfort zone and try you can (not will) be successful. Success/failure is not a guarantee either way regardless of the political or economic situation. But not trying to improve a bad situation is a guarantee of failure. Change is also long term and takes time. You need to recognize when your avoiding short term pain and learn to prioritize meeting long term needs.

And yeah you gotta put up with a lot of bullshit. I don’t even think I notice it anymore. Sorry if that causes poverty, I would like to see it be different but I only get one vote. It sure as gently caress doesn’t go for the party that blames taxes.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

meatpimp posted:

$20k of kitchen cabinets delivered today. First 2 things we unboxed were hosed up with manufacturing defects. I hope it was just bad odds and luck and the rest are okay, or there's going to be a serious lot of "gently caress Kraftmaid" here over the next few weeks. :mad: Demo crew comes tomorrow to take out the remainder of the old kitchen and we'll be officially kitchenless.

Pics of defects? I work for a competitor.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

meatpimp posted:

Eventually. I've got a few dozen boxes in my garage right now filled with the stuff. I'm going to wait until the installation contractor and rep are there and let them open the rest. I don't want to distribute pics until I know I'm covered. :D

I am just curious as to what they are. Finish defects or assembly defects? Dents/chips/scratches or staple protrusion? Color issues etc. Maybe dropped in shipping. I have looked at hundreds of thousands of cabinets at this point, I notice the small stuff. So if its bad enough that a homeowner sees it and complains on the internet it makes me wonder what I would notice.

KraftMaid was part of Masco, I think they were sold to a new owner a couple months ago.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

meatpimp posted:

Here's an example, the corner face of a door front. It's a void in the finish. There's a similar void on an adjacent corner. Two other corners are flawless. I cannot possibly see how this makes it passed any type of QC. I'm wondering if the sale upped the "don't give a poo poo" level?

It looks more like a “wormhole” in the wood. Hard to tell from the picture but I don’t think its contamination in the finish because I don’t see raw wood underneath. I see what looks like sanding burrs on the bevels so I assume thats painted solid wood and not DLV. That needs a new door, any kind of wax and topcoat repair would be visible. There is too much texture on the existing finish. Just out of curiosity is that birch? Or did they say its maple.

And I am wondering the same thing. Our volume has increased, the China shutdown is what we are being told is the cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

everdave posted:

I clicked on the carvana sell your car Ad on FB and jumped through the hoops and they are offering me 12.6 for my 18 Hyundai I paid 14 + taxes and reg on 26 mo the ago (sticker price was 23k). I’m kind of thinking just have them come pick it up? I have a literal fleet of RHD imports to choose from and they are offering 40k$ Tacoma 4x4 $200/mo leases as well...

Is this dumb?

If you have automotive ADHD like I do, it sounds good. A lease is about the only good deal to be had on a tacoma.