Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the other way of looking at the car vs suv fatalities is that buying an SUV strongly decreases the odds that you and your family will be killed in an accident
But if everyone didn't have SUVs, we'd all be better off. Sooooo ... that's not a great argument.

I mean, yeah, if everyone else has nukes, you might as well too, but no one should have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'd love if that happened, but I'm not holding my breath.

It would be very heartening to see sanity from a group of people that have not displayed it in a long time, and it would be enormously good for our country to see the system work.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Mitt Romney is going to vote or impeachment. Holy poo poo. Could this be enough to sway others?
Article one: Nope!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Article II: Romney voted not guilty.

Trump turned over ZERO Congress-subpoenaed documents from the Executive Branch in this case. If this isn't contempt of Congress, I don't know what can be.

So much for our co-equal branches, they had a good 240 year run.
Yep. This is clear precedent that essentially nothing is impeachable from here on out. Nixon should've just tried harder, I guess?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

Yes but no. Party loyalty regardless of facts are the problem here.

Fake edit: "Party Loyalty" brings to mind Soviet Russia and I got a bit of an uneasy chill at the thought.

Agreed, but there's an even further root cause: lovely, lovely, lovely people.

Beach Bum posted:

More like "nothing is impeachable if you hold Senate majority"
If he didn't, why would he have complied with the subpoenas in that case, either?

I mean, yes, it helps, but he obstructed justice in the House, why wouldn't he just do it in the Senate, too?

You could take that a step further and say the Supreme Court - in theory, the Court could have ordered him to comply, but ... why would he listen there, either?

It's the way the system worked for ~240 years, but it's just been proven a lie.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

We will never see a second American Revelution because 99.9% of Americans left of Wayne Lambert are afraid of being within 100 feet of anything more energetic than a Q-tip (unless it has four wheels).
No, we’re not, but that is a popular talking point along with “they took our jobs” and “bootstraps, my dear boy”, in certain circles.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MrChips posted:

Why are you all engaging the Known Moron and Holder of Insane Opinions? Put his rear end on ignore and move on with your day.
This. Don't forget "bootlicker", though.

Darchangel posted:

I'm actively avoiding FaceBook right now. I have no desire to know exactly how much of the Kool Aid some of my friends and family have swallowed.
I literally just got an account to sell things on Marketplace, and several family members, including my dad, added me. Despite the fact that he's been professing to me that he doesn't really like 46-1, and avoiding committing to whether or not he actually voted for him, he posted that dumb poo poo about how he's the president that god chose.

Your religion can eat a dick if that's an official position.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

You must constantly challenge your views and be ready to change your views when you find evidence to show that you are wrong.

I've changed views on many topics over the years, and I steadfastly believe in my views now, but by god, I'm open to change, because I'm the last person that I'd say is always right.
Agreed. I've gotten in arguments on these very boards about topics on which I now have entirely different beliefs - but if anything, those arguments were part of shaping that evolving world view. As you said, challenge your views, and accept clear evidence.

Darchangel posted:

Why would God pick someone who clearly doesn’t believe in Him or anything that God has said was important to Him?
That’s one of the bits I can’t fathom: how supposed Christians, Catholics in the case of my parents and a lot of my family, can support one of the most un-Christian Presidents in history is beyond my ken.
Agreed. The argument presented there (which is stupid) seemed to be that "some listed variety of biblical figures were imperfect (adulterers, thieves, whatever ... oddly, it sounded like a list of the variety of things that Trump has clearly been proven to have done) so don't question G O D, ok?".

Meanwhile Obama is the anti-christ. But not because he's brown. No, it's because of ... reasons.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

STR posted:

Just remember that if Trump did get booted out of office... we'd wind up with Pence.

(that's my slightly political post for the year)
Which is bad too, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be doing everything we can to get rid of all of them, at whatever pace we can.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I'm pretty apolitical, but I'm annoyed when the current administration, whatever that may be, keeps doing stuff to actively make the world worse and/or gently caress up my life one way or another. For whatever reason, presumably because I'm not a choad, I have friends that are in groups traditionally shat on by Conservatives. Gay, trans, brown, etc., so a little more aware of some of the fuckery the politicos get up to. More than I would like, actually. I'm super-pissed at Trump just because he made it necessary for me to pay more attention by being a fascist dictator fucktard.
I read this as "tans", and it made me chuckle.

I agree. I was kind of apolitical until he came along, now I feel like I can't ignore it, because it's so bad.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I spent all my downtime reading last night. Reading about this political nightmare we live in. The DNC is 100% going to push Hilary in as the only way to beat Trump.
Which is so bad, because HRC and Biden are the two who would definitely lose to Trump. I mean, some of the others presumably would too, but I don't see any scenario where HRC or Biden win against Trump.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah gently caress their bullshit. I'm writing in Bernie if I have to. Even if it means giving Trump another 4 years to build his wall.
Bad take.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The DNC has just as much of a "Good Ol' Boys" syndrome as any political entity. Even if they have progressive views, they're still personally conservative. Meaning they would like the power within their party, to remain where it is.
Agreed, but any one of the current candidates would be better for the country as a whole than El Cheeto Racisto, and while I'd love to see Warren, Bernie, or Yang, probably in that order, I'd rather back the person who's going to get Trump out than vote for my own personal favorite, because that's how you lose elections. Do you want to lose elections?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

poo poo, the Republicans tried to do the same thing to Trump initially, and he took that whole party over his knee and made them his bitch.
Since the Impeachment is over, I think he can just safely go ahead and rename it to the Trump Party because clearly that entire side of the aisle is just lined up to suck his tiny dick.
Agreed.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean I don't hate the idea of businessman vs. businessman in the next election. But I much prefer Bernie.
I think we need to stop idolizing businessmen, because A) they pretty much universally suck B) they get where they got by not giving two shits about anybody and C) how's this one working out?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think I left out the part where America is a bunch of loving idiots and Trump is our punishment. We deserve this because we are terrible.
Sure, there's a lot of us who aren't terrible. Hell, even a majority of us didn't vote for Trump.
Voting for somebody who's going to get Trump elected is pretty terrible. It's not as terrible as voting for him, for sure, but it's a pretty obvious consequence of what a lot of people did in 2016 and what a lot of people are signaling they intend to do this year.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I agree completely, but would like to add: Generally when people are talking about "businessmen" as candidates, it's not just businessmen. It's billionaire businessmen, and you don't get to be a billionaire by giving a poo poo about anything except your own profit, and that's not really compatible with good presidential decision making. Obviously.

Granted the orange fucknugget probably isn't an actual billionaire, but he's closer than I'll ever be.

bird with big dick posted:

30% of trump voters did so because there’s a 50/50 shot he’ll say the N word on national television
And, as you know, once the president says it, then we call all say it!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

STR posted:

2600k, 16GB, GTX 960.

It works, it's just a bit long in the tooth.
2500, 16GB, I think GTX 560Ti?

It's very much the same. It works fine for everything except games, it's very long in the tooth, but *shrug*

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

STR posted:

The few games I play run fine on this.
I think it's mostly an issue for this one because of the enormous monitor it's hooked up to (I used to play stuff in 1080p fine, but I got rid of those (two) monitors and consolidated into one larger higher res.

But it's really not an issue because I just play xbox anymore, if anything.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

The reason I got an Xbox(Xboxes, now) was to get off that upgrade-for-every-game treadmill. I still think I play better with a mouse and keyboard, but I've gotten to where the controllers are fine.
Same. I was beating myself up about wanting to buy a 1080 a couple years ago, and my wife suggested that I just get an Xbox One X, since it seemed like it would be a better one time purchase. She's smart.

Darchangel posted:

edit: Hey, why's Ken's house thread closed? It ain't done yet.
It's not?

Previa_fun posted:

First person shooters are way better with the accuracy of a mouse and keyboard. I can't play them with a controller.
Same-ish - I can, but they're definitely better with keyboard & mouse.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

It is. That other one is his Jeep thread.
Oooooh. I mean, I know he was planning on selling and moving at some point, maybe now is that point?

I also find it remarkable that he's directly responsible for two 50+ page threads. A+ posting, right there.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

That sounds like a very Ken thing to do; he'd be a great mod if he wasn't buried under The House of Theseus and 20 tons of scrap metal shaped like Jeeps, Subarus, and a 5ton.
I mean, he's posted far more recently than and more often than the current mod, so I'm not sure that's a real argument against :q:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb posted:

I don’t want to sound bootstraps and republican (I’m not) but you still can if your smart and willing to put up with a lot of bullshit.
... and you get lucky.

The basic issue that "bootstraps, my dear boy!" ignores (well, ok, one of them) is that moving several states away is not something everyone can do and a "decent factory job" is very much not widely available. If you got one and you were able to move, you were already ahead of where a lot of other people are, and not (always) in a "just change how you think about it" way.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What if you have a child? What if you have a disability? What if you have a record?

What if you don't know a guy on an internet forum who can get you a decent factory job? What if you don't live in Indiana or Kentucky? What if you have (let's go for a combo here!) a sick child who requires care during the night?

I'm not saying it's impossible, edit: or that it's "pure luck". I am saying that luck is absolutely a significant component. Yes, you have to be willing to work hard. Yes, if you're willing and able to make sacrifices, that can help. But you also need to have some measure of good fortune.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 12, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

trouser chili posted:

I totally get the sentiment, but I’ve got 19 years at the same employer. They’ve given me raises as high as 12% but I am underpaid, and I am very dedicated. I’ve had 100hr weeks, but I’ve also had 20hr weeks. We’re an employee-owned company and I think that’s key.
This is kind of a rollercoaster - you've been employed a long time, they've given you substantial raises, you're dedicated, the hours are variable (which could be good or bad, but I'm thinking good from context), you're underpaid? I think, generally positive, but the underpaid one throws me for a loop.

I've got just under 10 years at a company that has for the last 9 had the owner stand up at the holiday meetings and say that he values [several things that mean keeping people employed]. He didn't say it this year because they fired ~10% of the workforce in the middle of october. No notice given, no reason given, just a phone call in the middle of the week - frequently to people who were traveling/on site - you're no longer employed with the company. Send your phone and computer in, your amex has been cancelled.

The company I work for is owned by a (probable billionaire), it's been well profitable for the last (nearly) 30 years, it's been basically the only game in the industry for 20, but if I had to guess, in the last couple of years they've been angling toward this - the final straw seems to have been that they spent a bunch on making a technology jump and they had to make up the bottom line by firing a bunch of hard-working, talented, career employees. They did so without even notifying direct supervisors, in many cases - my boss and I were searching in the company Slack instance to see who was let go by their account status - and the only statements since then have been "what's done is done, get over it". All this to say - even when profits are good, even if your friends own it, it's still very much up to the whims of others. Employee owned is probably generally good, but it's by no means immune to anything.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb posted:

Thats accurate, and not “fair”, but its how the game is played. ...
And yeah you gotta put up with a lot of bullshit. I don’t even think I notice it anymore. Sorry if that causes poverty, I would like to see it be different but I only get one vote. It sure as gently caress doesn’t go for the party that blames taxes.
First, I'm sorry about your son. That's awful. Please don't take me "arguing" as any form of disrespect :)

The thing is ... it doesn't HAVE to be played that way. I mean, I agree - I only get one vote, and similarly, it doesn't go anywhere near even centrists, much less right wing shitheads. But, something I think carries more weight than you might think is recognition. By saying "... you ... can [be financially successful] if your smart and willing to put up with a lot of bullshit", while failing to mention that you also need circumstances to be exactly right (i.e., luck), it's furthering the distinctly right wing talking point - "If you haven't made it, you just haven't tried hard enough".

I don't think you're wrong - you have to work hard, and you have to be willing to reshape whatever you can - but I do think luck merits far more mention, if for no other reason than to keep it in everyone's mind.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sounds fun to me, but 12k would buy a lot of things that are fun, fast-ish, and RWD.

Some quick googling suggests the price isn't totally out of line - maybe, depending on how good condition it's in - but unless you're particularly drawn to IROCs, I don't think it's the first thing I'd spend 12k on.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've basically accepted that I'm probably never going to own a house, and if I can get my daughter through college debt free, I've probably done about as much as I (financially) can for her - a drat sight more than my family did for me. I paid off my college debt at the ripe young age of 35, and a large component in being able to do so was defaulting on it for over a decade, then negotiating a substantially lower payoff amount. Retirement is unlikely for me, but I'm hoping that I can support my wife so she can retire.

So, :) :hf: :) I feel you. Keep fighting the good fight. Your daughter is lucky to have you, and you're making the best of the shithole society we live in.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My dad had a 1988 5.7 IROC and I drove it all the time. I loved that car so it’s a nostalgic thing I guess. If it drives like the way I remember it would be fun as hell. And T tops.
In that case ...

KakerMix posted:

Do it you coward.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I’d probably make a ton of money if I didn’t spend so much time getting red texts.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

What's the easiest way to set up a camera to record the installation of my kitchen this week? I want a record of the conversations of expectations and the procedures they use. I bet everything will be fine, but I want some backup, just in case...
Wyze cameras are cheap, easy, and pretty effective for capturing a room.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

The good news is that I got the Wyze cameras on Krakkles' suggestion and I have full video of the events. The audio is fucky, but I think it'll end up as evidence. Thanks, Krakkles.
Woo! I'm glad it worked. The audio thing is weird, and I'm curious what happened there, because I can hear myself pretty clearly one room over on mine, but not the point here. As long as you got what you needed. Totally want to see that Hot Ones take.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Just checked my car, $200. Drive it until it can go no more it is!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Doubly, gently caress anything to do with Facebook.
Agreed. I got rid of my account in (I think) 2018, but made a new one in order to sell poo poo on the marketplace. A) it's creepy how much info they directly and immediately connected - they recommended someone I was never friends on FB with who I went on three dates with ~10 years ago. B) gently caress, people are so loving dumb. "Is this still available?" "Would you take 5% of your asking price?" gently caress you, Brad, I'd rather film myself destroying this wristwatch then give it away to you.

The funny thing is, I originally recognized that I was going to need an account because I intended to sell my Mustang, but then some tree branches fell on it in the latest windstorm and scratched the paint to the point that it's not even worth trying to sell it. I'm relieved, though, because gently caress, I can't imagine trying to sell something worth several thousand dollars, the stuff I've been selling for 20-80 has been an enormous drain.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

fridge corn posted:

I like to keep a few chuds on my facebook just to lol at terrible right wing memes
I didn't realize until 2016 rolled around how many people I was close friends with for years who were chuds.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm at the point that if it's much under 500 bucks I give it to a friend, donate it, or toss it. Not worth the hassle. over? throw it on ebay or have a PFO filter on craigs.
Yeah. At this point, I'm pretty much planning to keep driving it until something I don't feel like fixing pops or I have enough money to buy the replacement, then pull the 5.4 swap parts off and donate it. It makes me a little sad, because to me it's a great car with sentimental value edit: and a CARB legal 5.4 swap, but to anyone else it's a banged up old mustang.

kastein posted:

I'm kinda curious if I have you on Facebook actually. The comments sections of my angry leftist-with-cars-and-guns posts tend to get infuriating and/or funny when my low information Jeep buddies decide they better inform the libtards.
Oh man, I forgot about how much I enjoyed that. I might have to re-add you despite my policy against actually socializing, at all, on Facebook.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 25, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Venn diagram intersection of "Jeep Owners" and "People with more than half a brain" is pretty much near-zero overlap, unfortunately.
If you didn't own a jeep I'd disagree

that works on several levels

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Tremek posted:

Not getting a flu shot is putting your healthy-self at a likelihood of mild inconvenience, but others that are immunocompromised or young/old around you at significantly higher risk.

Fun fact, as of this week the CDC’s reporting this year’s flu shot is significantly effective at preventing the H1N1 variant. Even still the CDC is reporting that this year the flu has a 6.8% mortality rate which incidentally is about 3x higher than COVID-19.

This is a great example of where public shaming is important: get the flu shot and don’t be assholes. The shot literally cannot give you the flu. It’s very rare to have reactions to the shot although not impossible especially for people with egg? allergies (fact-check me plz actual medical people.)

Tldr don’t unwittingly help spread disease, that’s the height of first-world modern living hubris and ignorance
Confirmed 100%. Applebees App: It's not about whether YOU have been fine. It's about herd immunity. Your actions affect other people.

Don't be a dick. Edit: Wiki even literally calls this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity#Free_riding

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 25, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Almost definitely the latter, but impossible to judge without more info. Glad she seems to be doing ok, at the very least, and sorry you and your family are dealing with that. I fear these things.

Vote accordingly!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Absofuckinglutely not.

What are your options more along a path of her gifting you her entire net worth, and forcing them to spend the next few decades trying to recoup their costs at $10 a month from someone who is nominally penniless?
I am not even vaguely a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure this would be illegal, somehow.

It seems like the kind of thing we'd do over here.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ping

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That is hilarious. And accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Muh muh muh my corona