Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I put together a cool shrine to Toyota:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hey Kaker or Dave - I need some OEM keyblanks for a 1992 Miata which seem exceedingly hard to find in the states, any idea if these are something you can get through your importing connections? The one original I got with the car has a crack in it and isn't safe to keep using.

The later keys from the 93-97 era are shaped differently and all I seem able to find on ebay (so far).

Sorry I'm late, do you have a part number? I've gotten pretty decent and finding parts but I need a part number to start if possible.

You Am I posted:

I'd swap the spanner for a set of their pilers. I love the pilers they used to bundle in the toolbag on 70s and 80s Toyotas.

A friend gave me a set of these but they are a bit new imho

re: Trump

History is not going to be kind to white male conservatives and this whole ~era~ of just absolute garbage, one way or another.
As a straight white male that lives in a wealthy conservative area I'm constantly looked at like everyone's brother, son, or grandson. The insane off the deep end poo poo people confide in me because I look like them is loving wild. I don't need talking points or NPR or chem trails to make up my mind. Spend some time with true brain worm away-from-reality dead to rights pieces of poo poo white men on a golf course and you too will go 'holy gently caress burn all this down and start over, please.' Those dudes are terrified of Bernie Sanders.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Luck is absolutely everything. I got extremely lucky with the circumstances surrounding my 'employment' and I have contributed absolutely nothing to my own success. Anyone could have done this, absolutely anyone, if fate had smiled on them instead of I. Since I grew up extremely poor you can see why I feel pretty strongly about 'lol eat the rich' because I know they didn't do poo poo that someone else couldn't have done in their place. Nobody is special, there is no ~great man~, it's all noise and chaos.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Um....Am I a dumbass for considering a 1987 IROC-Z as a daily driver?

Second owner, 5.7 fully loaded, T tops100k miles $12k

If you like the way it drives then I'd say go for it. Isn't like its going to lose value, it's well passed its dip.

Do it you coward.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The IROC was no bueno :(

What was wrong with it? A case of 'NO WAT I GOT' plus it just being garbo?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Well, have to tell you Carvana is legit. Came and got the car a little less than 48 hours after I submitted it and gave me a check. I am now 100% RHD mad tyte JDM household

lmao this is literally what I did years ago. Got my Honda Acty van, decided I was going to drive that instead of our 2013 Golf R. Sold it to Carvana. They sent a truck, the guy handed me a check, and that was that. I have been 100% RHD mad tyte JDM household ever since, you will enjoy it mightily I do say.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Solus posted:

as someone who lives in New Zealand which basically gets JDM Lite i'm assuming a 100% RHD mad tyte JDM household is the USA Equivalent of the dudes that imported LHD Muscle Cars
(I'm still kind of laughing at the dudes who imported a bunch of LHD Mustangs and then Ford decided to start selling them in RHD though)

I dunno everdave and I have more eclectic tastes. I freakin' love the 70 series Land Cruisers and those get maddd respect from everyone from Land Cruiser guys to diesel guys to people that just appreciate older Toyotas. But the fire trucks or ultra-80s Corollas and Soarers are just neat to see, then the MR2 and Skylines are JDM tyte. Weird-rear end Domingos and bucket trucks, that's cool poo poo. You cover all bases!

everdave posted:

On a scale of 1-10 how bad of an idea would a 99 911 Cabriolet with a clean title but carfax shows salvage history, tiptronic trans, 50k miles and "the top doesn't fit good" if I could get it for 8 cash? They are asking more.

Run far away or run to the bank? You tell me.

You're the guy that bulk-buys kei bucket trucks, this doesn't even register on the 'heh wouldn't this be funny guys'. I know you just Carvana'd yourself a pocket of cash but if you must buy a car just get the already mentioned 6 fire trucks. I don't understand the grade scale you propose either but uhh, 10 as in its the worst idea. We're supposed to be JDM household bros :(

HEY GUYS.....I found another IROC going to look at it and actually drive it this weekend :v:

This looks way more rad than the last one if not only because the sweet red and blue bottom stripes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I don't know nothin' bout no space wires, but I know that my wife got me a pretty fantastic birthday gift:

LOOK AT THIS loving JACKET
It's a real deal vintage 1980s windbreaker, so no liner, just the outer shell. It's in phenomenal shape, fits perfectly and came all the way from Japan. Also, made in the USA :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ether Frenzy posted:

That's pretty dope. I had to restrain myself from buying a vintage Gulf racing jacket from the early 70's (not one of the modern recreations) that a vintage sneaker/Jordans guy I know found in his travels for $300 last year due to the fact it's never cold enough in LA to wear it.

(the picture is a link to click)

There is this account on Instagram called 'Vintage Backyard' which is a mix of Americana and...Japanica? Classic 50s and on Japanese and American stuff. Both my wife and I follow them and saw that post. I went 'aw man that Toyota jacket owns' and she agreed. She then contacted the account and asked if they'd ship to the USA. They said no, but we have a friend who lives in Japan about half the year 3 weeks at a time who happened to be there. We bought it, sent it to his house in Japan, he sent it to us here in the USA.
Because of all that though we paid $60 bucks for it. That's phenomenally cheap because if you were to pop that on eBay here in the states it would be $200 level. That BUICKBUICKBUICK jacket rules too.