Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Siochain posted:

So, got married this weekend. Kept it a secret from everyone but the officiant and the two friends who were witnesses.
Perfect day. +1 outside, light snow, had a little ceremony in a nice park. Went home, ate cake and had coffee, then ordered pizza for supper.
A+ would get married again.

Congrats man, glad you guys did it the way you wanted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I’m nice to people and have cool cars, but I get it.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I like wagons but there aren't a lot of compelling ones on the market, at least for me. But I wanted to buy used, but won't buy a used BMW or Mercedes, so that gets rid of the better options.

MBs for the past decade are considerably more reliable on the whole than BMWs; letting uninformed prejudice guide your decisions will lead to shittier outcomes.

Geoj posted:

Well, at least not as long as gas prices remain below three dollars per gallon.

I distinctly remember the mid-2000s - when the number of priced-to-move SUVs on corner used car lots was directly proportional to how close to $4/gallon unleaded gas was.

This won’t matter within the next 10 years as I suspect a real majority of cars sold by 2030 will be electric, and the cost of electricity generation especially from renewable resources continues to drop.

Did I mention batteries are heavy? You may well have compact cars on the road but they’re all going to weigh 2+ tons, so this whole rant about SUV size correlates to mass and center of gravity more than anything, and especially with cheap electricity this isn’t going to get any better.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

That may be, but I got into cars in the late 90s / early 2000s, right when MBs were serious lemons, and it's going to take me more than 20 years to get past that. I keep cars for a long time and the thought of owning a modern BMW or MB out of warranty makes me cringe. Kimbo305's thread doesn't help with that at all, but also just other people I know who've admittedly had higher end AMG models haven't had good luck once the car is ~10 years old.

There’s a world of difference between a DC-era AMG v12 W220 and a late model e350/400/450 wagon. Like, night and day.

On that note I have had 3* out of warranty AMGs and not had bad experiences. Pedestrian models from the last 10 years are even less maintenance-intensive.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

And the house supoenas had no power because they didn't vote to start an investigation until after they were "issued" and when Trump pointed that out the house rolled over. This whole thing is partisan bullshit from the start. Asking a foreign government to investigate corruption in their country as it relates to our country is the president's job. He gets a loving thank you from me. And that goes for either party, not just because it's Trump.

I would have to see Biden under oath explain how his kid got on the Burisma board in the first place, and how Schiff got to be paranoid about me whisterblowers name when he supposedly doesn't know who the whistleblower is, and how Schiff neglected to turn over the transcript for the last witness, but putting this bullshit behind us will work too.

Emphasis above mine as I find this take fascinating - a world view that somehow a 3rd world former USSR country is an appropriate party to investigate purported corruption on the behalf of the United States which, in spite of its problems, objectively is still a bastion of judicial due process relative to most of the planet and that somehow the Ukraine is a preferable outlet?

I read this op-ed recently and it makes some interesting points.

“People are hardwired to dismiss facts that don’t fit their worldview” posted:

Unwelcome information can also threaten in other ways. “System justification” theorists like psychologist John Jost have shown how situations that represent a threat to established systems trigger inflexible thinking and a desire for closure. For example, as Jost and colleagues extensively review, populations experiencing economic distress or external threat have often turned to authoritarian, hierarchicalist leaders promising security and stability.

Another reminder that the internet gives voice and reach to a lot of bad ideas.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

but because it's a 2000s Toyota VFD clock, it's long dead except on one random day after 42 days have passed, on that day it'll light up for a few minutes before slowly flickering back out.

VFD clocks are great. My second car through circumstance was a ‘90 Acura Legend LS coupe, and it had one of those great VFD purple-white clocks that would even turn on while the car was off if you pushed the panel covering the settings buttons next to it.

For a long time I conspired to put a computer in the trunk of that car and spent way too much time on mp3car[.]com which at the time was a great site and also had a bunch of people figuring out how to use serial VFD displays to show what song was playing. There was a dude on there with a 300zx turbo that made a custom fiberglass housing for a touchscreen display in his dash. Cool poo poo.

/end random rant

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

My next long term build is gonna be a threadripper. just goddamn at the specs.

Hey on a similar subject, I need to decide on what to build out as a replacement for my FreeNAS box that survived the house fire but is probably on borrowed time due to soot etc. corroding traces.

It’s a dual Xeon E5-2670 (8 cores/16 threads each, 16/32 total I think?) with 64GB ECC RAM and 6x6TB HGSTs in a ZFS zraid2 config. It runs some jails/VMs (Plex etc) and I also built it out with enough horsepower to be an NVR.

With all that said IDK what to replace it with that supports ECC, has more or less as much or more processing power, and preferably at a lower TDP. I already bought another bigass tower case and some Noctua fans but that’s as far as I have gotten.

Also

Krakkles posted:

I mean, he's posted far more recently than and more often than the current mod, so I'm not sure that's a real argument against :q:

Ken knows I love him but argumentative autism is not what you want in a mod

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Took my 3 boys to Monster Jam last night and we all had a surprisingly? good time. I was skeptical as to how things were going to turn out as my 5 year old turns into a pumpkin in the evenings pretty early, but they all had a blast.

Also finally brought my rottie home (again) from my dad's after his latest bout with $5k animal hospital visits. He's in good spirits and in seemingly good health again. All in all a good weekend.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

SKO was this week and I got an award from my sales leadership team for ‘rookie’ sales engineer of the year (joined the company in May, and in Q3 was fortunate to be part of the largest deal of the quarter and also had the best Q3 out of all the SEs) and in a company with ~150 SEs that feels pretty special.

Edit: Also since I was on cruise control for Q4, i worked with another SE and my managers to develop a training for my fellow SEs on demoing a service that has huge revenue targets on it for this year, and trained my fellow SEs on how to do the demo. Really neat company and feels good to be working with great people, contributing, and making stupid money. Now ~fin~ fo reals

Tremek fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 14, 2020

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Everything is expensive down under, what is this competitive pricing you speak of

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

2 pages back, but wanted to share a follow up to my e/n post...

Contractor showed up today to install the cabinets. Contractor struggled getting the sink base over the 18" stubs I had through the floor.

Contractor and his guys snagged the PVC stubs when setting the sink base.

Contractor and his guys broke the cold water feed line and the line that protruded 12" above the inside of the sink base protruded 4" above the sink base... while the other one was at full height. Because they BROKE THE loving PVC LINE.

Contractor did not tell me.

I found out about 40 minutes later after a 1/2" water line had been pumping full-pressure water into my finished basement.

I've got many hundreds, if not a thousand gallons of water in the basement. Somehow the contractor says that it's my fault. :lol: gently caress him sideways. And I will, to the full extent of my capability.

Because... right now... all of the stuff that we had moved to the basement as we recovered from the water flood disaster from last August... is now soaking in water from our water flood disaster in February. :suicide:

The good news is that I got the Wyze cameras on Krakkles' suggestion and I have full video of the events. The audio is fucky, but I think it'll end up as evidence. Thanks, Krakkles.

Hope for your sake that those dudes are insured well.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just looked at Carvana for the Flex. $12000. That suuuuuucks.

They offered $27,200 for the Land Cruiser. I need to sort my poo poo out as to what I’m doing with cars.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Headed to London this PM with the missus to attend a friend's wedding this Saturday and we are both looking forward to the trip. Kids are finally old enough that we managed (with some difficulty) to farm them out to my two sets of parents and I think it's all gonna work out great.

Knock on wood and all that but it's a far cry from the BS of the past few years.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

freelop posted:

If you've a small bit of free time and fancy something free and slightly different in London try the temple of Mithras

This looks really cool! Thank you for the suggestion, we are going to try and go visit.

/sent from 41,000 ft above Lake Michigan

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I gave up on flu shots a long time ago, the shot itself would make me sick sometimes and then I'd get the flu anyways.

Not getting a flu shot is putting your healthy-self at a likelihood of mild inconvenience, but others that are immunocompromised or young/old around you at significantly higher risk.

Fun fact, as of this week the CDC’s reporting this year’s flu shot is significantly effective at preventing the H1N1 variant. Even still the CDC is reporting that this year the flu has a 6.8% mortality rate which incidentally is about 3x higher than COVID-19.

This is a great example of where public shaming is important: get the flu shot and don’t be assholes. The shot literally cannot give you the flu. It’s very rare to have reactions to the shot although not impossible especially for people with egg? allergies (fact-check me plz actual medical people.)

Tldr don’t unwittingly help spread disease, that’s the height of first-world modern living hubris and ignorance

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Back in the 2016 election cycle I made a habit of "hiding" every post that was political and it seems to have stuck because now nearly all that shows up for me are BMW/Land Cruiser/RC car related posts. Politic chat is the worst reason for using Facebook.

Almost every time I open Facebook to look in the Marketplace or something I see a rant from Ken at the very top. Realtalk Ken you gotta quit boomerposting and arguing with FB idiots, that’s putting negative karma into the world.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I didn't say it gave me the flu I said it can make me sick, as in the side effects making me feel like poo poo. And THEN I would get the flu anyways so I said gently caress it.

Haven't had a flu shot in probably over a decade and I've been fine but thanks Dr. Tremek :v:

I think you must be intentionally ignoring my overarching point that you are putting others at higher risk.

Ugh

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The Prong Song posted:

New episode of Binky is out. No turbo? Those bastards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN8DYQIuW9Y

I happen to be wearing my Bad Obsession hoodie today. I love that these guys are accelerating and releasing an episode more or less monthly now.

In other news I tried to buy a GLS 63 AMG yesterday but the MB dealer didn’t have their poo poo together, so I’ll try again tomorrow I guess.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

my laptop is infected with coronavirus and some telephone guys says its gonna bt $299 to fix it. :ohdear:

Time to hoard some iTunes gift cards before they're all out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Galler posted:

Leap century: every 100 years February is 53 days long

In AD 2020, war was beginning