Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

meatpimp posted:

I think there's a large group of people that truly believe that they know, instead of doing intellectual analysis and viewing/processing evidence.

The more you know, the more you realize that you don't know. Unfortunately, a lot of people's thought process atrophies before they get to understand that concept.

You are right, and it's been documented. It's called the Dunning-Kruger effect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

toplitzin posted:

My coworker got me an awesome surprise:

Seems to be the go to gift for Volvo nuts. My friend who works in a Volvo shop got one from one of his friends that he used to work with. I went out and got one for myself.

Also put my new M12 fuel brushless Milwaukee tools to work this weekend, did the timing belt on my new V70. God those things are amazing, especially now with the insane amount of torque and battery life they have. I used the 1/4" drive power ratchet to crack loose almost every bolt without needing to do it manually first. It made the water pump part of the job a breeze.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 3, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I drive decent but modestly priced used cars in good condition, and I am occasionally but not frequently an rear end in a top hat on the road.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Trump isn't a David or Solomon, flawed but godly. He's a Pharaoh. Utterly depraved and in contempt and opposition to god, but god is using him for glory! The best part is that Trump is too dumb to know that's what they mean. He should be pretty insulted.

I like how even when Pharaoh was defeated and submitted, god "hardened his heart" and MADE him torture the Jews some more, so that he could get even MORE plagues and poo poo dumped on him. It's Paul's sarcastic new testament comment about sinning more so that grace may abound, only not sarcastic.

ilkhan posted:

Not that any of you commies have any interest in hearing from the other side.

You gotta say something we haven't heard and debunked 40 times prior is the problem. I'm always open to a new point of view as well.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 6, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Darchangel posted:

it definitely feels like Dems are close to where the GOP was, say, 30 years ago

It's true. Obamacare was to the right of what was proposed by Reagan in the 80's.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

trouser chili posted:

Yeah, I’m underpaid. My base salary is low for my skill set and the company couldn’t replace the value I provide with twice the salary. That’s kept me employed. Occasionally I’ve achieved massive promotions. I could grab another $30k a year fairly easy if I made the right jump, but I’d have to give up my ownership in the company. I value the stock I own around $2 million. The face value is actually much lower but it’s intentionally devalued by the company and paid a 35% dividend last year. It’s not paid less than 20% annually in the last 20 years. On top of the stock ownership I’ve also been getting 15-20% annual bonuses in the form of profit sharing dumped straight into a 403b retirement account. Also we have a pension.

Maybe it'd be better to say not that you're underpaid, but that a lot of your compensation is in secondary and future benefits rather than cash.

I'm kind of the opposite. I make an okay salary for my skillset although it could be more, and the only non salary benefits I have are 50% premium coverage on health insurance and a 100% matching 401k, which I'm contributing to now but missed a couple decades on. I'm 31 years in to my career and I'm basically not planning to retire at this point unless something radically changes. I hope the next house I buy is my last and that I can pay it off before I can't afford to. I'm hardly secure, and one major catastrophe could bankrupt me.

That said, I'm a lot better off than a lot of people. And I try to live below my means but don't always succeed.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w

All the Camaro talk reminded me of this song.

You're kidding!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

One thing I'm seeing in my industry, which is machines assembled from various parts made in the USA and elsewhere, is that both margins and lead times have been shaved to the bone, and at the same time talent has fled and wages have gone down. It's gotten to the point that we simply can't reject parts because vendors cut you off for rejecting poor quality instead of replacing it. We have to rework tons of parts and pieces, and our products have inconsistent finishes from machine to machine. It takes a really bad defect to scrap a part and usually even after I declare the part scrap I'm tasked with "what can we do to make it work, we have to ship." They plan and sell like we never have a defect, but the nature of the industry is that defects are almost guaranteed at this point. I have to approve a lot of product that is not up to the level of quality I would like.

I hope that's not what is happening with your kitchen.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

T-Square posted:

Man, I love Brad from Bon Appetit :allears:

Was a tad hungover yesterday morning and I've been loving everything on their YouTube channerl, so I threw that on and the second or third video in the playlist was him making a fried bologna sammich with a chopped dill pickle/mustard/mayo sauce on toasted rye with some iceberg. That sounded like a perfect hangover snack, so I went down the street and got some bologna from the deli and fried that poo poo up.

It was so good I made another for dinner.

Agreed. They sure have done a great job of cultivating the personalities into likeable performers who are still obviously experts at what they do. And their ensemble work is great too, they mix and match pairs and groups of people and it just makes it really entertaining to watch. I go through a binge and burn out cycle every month or so where I catch up on things I haven't seen. And then I cry myself to sleep over my unrequited love for Claire.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I discovered that Amazon Prime video has all the Dukes of Hazzard seasons so I started watching it the other day. My son was like what's this, so I told him the backstory and how back in the day when I was his age the Dukes were the poo poo and the General Lee was the star of the show.

In about four episodes now and he fuckin loves it :v:

You now get to explain that this is where "Daisy Dukes" are from, and how rednecks still call them that.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I was just thinking that! If it's anything like my reaction was it will be complete disappointment.

Gonna wait for him to put 2 and 2 together and figure it out :v:

Once the blood returns to his brain. (How old is he again?)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Sweetie is preferred, but Sweety is also acceptable. Sweaty is entirely different. Much saltier.

On the subject of nostalgia TV, I went back and watched most of NYPD Blue last year, and that show holds up pretty good. I recently added ER to my playlist and watched like 5 minutes of it and I forgot how cool and bassy the theme song is. I have a completely new home theater and it made me want to crank it up super loud like I used to back in the day. Jury's out on whether it'll be re-watchable though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Sweaty is the recognised Internet pisstake misspelling :v:

But really, it is.

I love SA but I agree with SA and yeah I fuckin hate the internet.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Admiral Bosch posted:

Some worthless piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat put a dent in my car last night. It doesn't even look like they hit it while parked with a car, it looks like somebody kicked it hard enough to dent the fender paneling. Anyone successfully used a dent puller? Would love to know how well they work.

If you care about the car, just pay a paintless dent pro. A single dent will be under $100 these days. If you've never done it before, you will leave wrinkles even if you get the dent out. The PDR guys leave wrinkles too, but they know how to fix those in addition to the main dent.

Residency Evil posted:

Does anyone Have strong opinions about air compressors for home tire filling?

I got a craftsman 25 gallon on sale and it does everything a home mechanic would need, including the occasional brap-brap of a crank bolt. But I got it primarily for filling tires, I had one car with a persistent slow leak where I had to top it up every month, and the day my gas station decided to charge $1.50 a fill that didn't even run long enough to do all 4 tires, I said gently caress you all and started shopping.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I'm in the "hosed by china quarantine" camp too. My bosses love cutting things right down to the wire, so we have a project that has to be in Germany by may 1 and we just placed the order for over 80 unique parts from china. Normally our shop over there would knock them out by April 1 but they're saying they're at 60% capacity and lead times are stretched out. Our local shops no quoted the order so they were our last resort.

So yeah we're not going to make it. The worst part is that I'm also going to lose two weeks just to bad timing, my manager has a newborn in the hospital so he's been MIA last week, and the boss over him is at a customer site for this entire week, so no decisions are going to get made. I need those guys to approve POs.

I'm actually really worried about my manager, he's just.. out. No comms of any kind, which means it's bad.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I'd send him an email back saying fine, don't take my CASH offer then you idiot good luck.

Reminds me of when we made a cash offer on a kind of lovely but liveable and fixable house on a nice plot of land in BFE western NY. Dude was asking way more than it was worth and we figured he would jump at the reasonable cash offer but nope, I KNOW WHAT I GOT and three years later he dropped the price to what we were offering and still couldn't sell it for years after that. It made me happy that he probably regretted not taking our offer for years, but it also made me happy he refused the offer because then we would have been stuck in NY instead of just moving back to Florida. So thanks for not taking our totally reasonable offer dude :)

Then when I went to sell my mint rust free Florida 4x4 XJ before we left (didn't need it in FL) I asked a high price for the condition and got a shitload of emails telling me how much of an idiot I was for asking that much money for a Cherokee and that I would never sell it, and a week later sold it for my asking price :v:

I actually think I remember both of those scenarios when they happened. Unless you told them in past tense like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Lousy Smarch weather!

I understood this reference. I still send my march child support documentation to my ex labeled as Smarch.