Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloom posted:

This is giving me flashbacks to The Night Of. A great start and then it just falls apart.

Not that it's terrible but it's already feeling too long and there's still 4 episodes to go. Unless there's some big twist coming up I don't have high hopes.

I went ahead and read a summary of the novel and... I don't have high hopes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

bloom posted:

This is giving me flashbacks to The Night Of. A great start and then it just falls apart.
What a coincidence, they were both written by Richard Price.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah, I don't see this as that much of a deviation from what happened in the book.

But it's Stephen King. You go into it knowing that a poor ending is more likely than not.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

bloom posted:

Not that it's terrible but it's already feeling too long and there's still 4 episodes to go. Unless there's some big twist coming up I don't have high hopes.

Oh god, I almost forgot about The Night Of. Such a great pilot episode, and then :effort:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Me about halfway through the first episode: Oh I get it, it's called The Outsider and Terry is from somewhere else and maybe all these people are lying about seeing him that day, so it's kind of a story about mob justice and...

...oh. Oh well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I mean it’s Stephen King and we see a guy who looks like Clayface in a hoodie in episode 1 so idk what people expected.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean it’s Stephen King and we see a guy who looks like Clayface in a hoodie in episode 1 so idk what people expected.

I didn't expect all sense of mystery to evaporate so quickly

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So is the bouncer going to be the next shapeshifters form? And Jack has been influenced but not possessed by it?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

CODChimera posted:

So is the bouncer going to be the next shapeshifters form? And Jack has been influenced but not possessed by it?

That seems to be the case. What's puzzling me is that they're setting up that the bouncer is starting to act erratically, but the story to this point hasn't mentioned the other victims of doppelgangery to have acted strange after getting scratched.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

He also seems the least stable from a personal life standpoint, though. All the others were outstanding citizens without a blemish on their records. This guy has served time. Could factor into it, or could be bad writing, who knows! Also, he's the manager, not a bouncer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well that episode was a whole lot of nothing :(

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm really enjoying this. The moment when Ralph switches to believing is going to be so good

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm really wondering where this story can even go. Like, what happens once everyone believes in the monster? They fight it somehow? It's literally magic so there's no way of knowing how you would even go about doing that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I'm really wondering where this story can even go. Like, what happens once everyone believes in the monster? They fight it somehow? It's literally magic so there's no way of knowing how you would even go about doing that.

One of King's most famous books involves the help of a benevolent space turtle and a ritual in which somebody bites on the tongue of an alien clown and tells jokes so I'm sure this will be less stupid than that.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm sure this will be less stupid than that.

*doubt*

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everyone taking Ralph’s stubborn rear end down a peg was satisfying to watch.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

An interesting set up this week, thought we might learn some new stuff or get somewhere interesting. Nope. Also had a good laugh at Terry's wife thinking she could go back to her public-facing sales job. I get she wants to remain in denial but come on.

veni veni veni posted:

Everyone taking Ralph’s stubborn rear end down a peg was satisfying to watch.
That was the only good part. "Ralph, it's been 7 episodes. We need to get this poo poo moving."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

I read how the novel ends and... I've got some bad news

Edit: one thing I did like about this episode was that Jack isn't just "rear end in a top hat cop", he opened up to Holly and we saw that he's a good friend to the lady cop

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Was really pulled in by the first episode, but I couldn’t believe it when I saw there would be 10. I was expecting half that after how much ground the first covered. I’m still enjoying it, but it’s been spinning its wheels a little and without much mystery left I’m worried about these last three episodes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I'm loving this show, but this weeks episode felt like it was dragging things out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I definitely want more Holly Gibbs on my TV after this. Maybe they can license the character and have someone that isn't King write a new story for her to be in.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

precision posted:

I definitely want more Holly Gibbs on my TV after this. Maybe they can license the character and have someone that isn't King write a new story for her to be in.
She does seem like she should be the protagonist but just isn't for some reason. Like, Ralph is an okay character but he's not really doing anything to move the plot forward. Holly's doing the investigating. Holly's the one who's trying to convince everyone it's a monster. It really seems like it should be her story.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Unsure if you're writing this because you're aware of them, or unaware, but Stephen King has written 3 additional Holly Gibbs books and they have all been made into a TV show (Mr. Mercedes).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

Unsure if you're writing this because you're aware of them, or unaware, but Stephen King has written 3 additional Holly Gibbs books and they have all been made into a TV show (Mr. Mercedes).

Unfortunately that show is only one something called “Audience” that you can only get with DirecTV or AT&T. I’m curious about it because I’ve heard it’s good and that version of Holly is played by Justina Lupe from Succession.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looten Plunder posted:

I knew about the stories but never heard of the show. Is it any good?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Mr Mercedes S1 is really really good imo (episode 1 is pretty fuckin brutal), S2 less so and I've only seen a little of S3 but it's a pretty big departure from the previous seasons from what I've watched. Justine Lupe is great as Holly and holds her own against the mighty Brendan Gleeson but the standout to me is Breeda Wool as Lou Linklatter. Also it took me forever to recognize Kelly Lynch of ROADHOUSE fame as the mother of Brady Hartsfield. And jebus what a hosed up relationship those two characters have.

Mr Mercedes Holly is less "Holly" than The Outsider Holly if that makes sense.

I'm pretty bored with The Outsider now after really enjoying the first few episodes. Whomever compared it to The Night Of was spot on so far but I hope it ends strongly.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 18, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

Whomever compared it to The Night Of was spot on so far but I hope it ends strongly.

NARRATOR: It didn't.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I knew about the stories but never heard of the show. Is it any good?

I acquired it a couple of weeks ago after learning that it existed, but haven't watched any of it yet. But yeah, as stated above, I've heard the first season is great, second season is good and I'm yet to hear anything about the third season.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kind of spoilers about where characters end up by context of talking of other books re: the Holly conversation Holly seems to be King's new pet character that he carries over in other books in general since he loves the Mr. Mercedes books for some reason, so we'll probably be seeing more of that character in the future, outside of this.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

This show is like something out of 5 or 10 years ago. It's trying to do true detective but even true detective is trying to do itself now. Its fine to have a slow show if the atmosphere is worth it but all of this is really derivative and lame. The big meanie is a dracula, big whoop. The thralls are renfields. None of the reveals or developments in the plot have been interesting.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Regardless of how this season shakes out, I guess we're getting more!.

I'm enjoying the ride, but will reserve judgement until it's done. This definitely makes the UK model of seasons of 6 tight episodes much more appealing.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

No more book to base a new season on? Why not, it worked so well for Game of Thrones!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

No more book to base a new season on? Why not, it worked so well for Game of Thrones!

Sometimes a TV adaptation of a book is really good and they try to keep it going past the original story and it sucks because they didn't have any plan and there wasn't really anywhere to go with it. Sometimes a TV adaptation of a book is mediocre to bad and then they keep it going past the end of the book anyway and it actually becomes way better since they're not tied into retelling a story that they clearly never really wanted to in the first place.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Show is still really good, even if it probably would have been better off as 8 episodes. Ralph and his wife is one of the most naturalistic married couple relationships I've seen in a TV show in years, and it really makes it stand out how infrequently that is a thing in media.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Sometimes a TV adaptation of a book is really good and they try to keep it going past the original story and it sucks because they didn't have any plan and there wasn't really anywhere to go with it. Sometimes a TV adaptation of a book is mediocre to bad and then they keep it going past the end of the book anyway and it actually becomes way better since they're not tied into retelling a story that they clearly never really wanted to in the first place.

Yeah. The leftovers became a much better show after they ran out of book material.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Thought tonight's episode was really good. Still expecting a Stephen King trademark fumbled ending, but so far so good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's like I can physically feel the moment King ran out of ideas, and it was in like episode 3 lol

Still a good episode of TV but jesus you wanna talk about slow

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

precision posted:

It's like I can physically feel the moment King ran out of ideas, and it was in like episode 3 lol

Still a good episode of TV but jesus you wanna talk about slow

He had plenty of ideas. They were just awful and have been reworked for the show. The show burnt through half the book in two episodes, and the second half was downright awful. The show has been so slow because it had to delve into character stuff (and just plain hot air) to pad the length to make up for excising so much trash from the back of the book. This show should've been six episodes.

Good episode tonight though.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this would've been way better released all at once because yeah it is very slow with a lot of unnecessary stuff going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Last night's episode put me to sleep several times. Never before has HBO's prestige television managed to do that, even when Game of Thrones went full retard.

I like the mood, the tone, the actors, but the story telling here is equivalent to throwing a hotdog down a hallway.